Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Drift Away?
Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 22, 2010 06:44

What does everyone think of the Stones version? The one I hear on You Tube sounds pretty complete to me. Does anyone know why it was never released? I know there are a ton of renditions out there and I still think Dobie Grays is the best, but Mick holds his own on the vocal. I think it is the type of song that is nicely Stoneitized. Is it a lock to appear on a deluxe of IORR?

Re: Drift Away?
Posted by: deuce ()
Date: June 22, 2010 06:52

I love their version. As for why it was never released, I have to assume it was because they decided to go with "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" instead and didn't want two cover songs on IORR.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2010 07:01

IORR was originally going to be covers on one side, live from the '73 tour on the other. There was more money in original material. Their version of Drift Away is very nice. Maybe we'll get it with the IORR Deluxe Reissue. Anyone know what other covers they cut for the original project?

Date: June 22, 2010 07:12

71Tele
IORR was originally going to be covers on one side, live from the '73 tour on the other. There was more money in original material. Their version of Drift Away is very nice. Maybe we'll get it with the IORR Deluxe Reissue. Anyone know what other covers they cut for the original project?

Interesting about IORR being a side of covers. Drift Away does not sound like it would need any Jaggerizaton to be released. I saw something on line that Richards was not on it...lots of voices on the backing vocals, sounds to me like he is in there?

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 22, 2010 07:15

Yes, good version love it.....

Great thing about the Stones is there is a plethora of riches in the vaults! And why they weren't released, who knows?

But let's say "Drift Away" replaced say "Ain't Too Proud Too Beg" or another track, we would probably be having a conversion as to why "A.T.P.T.B" didn't make the record.

But hey why didn't "We Had It All" make it on E.R.?

I'm certain there are so many factors at the time that kinda lend themselves to these decisions i.e. Overall sound & product, track listing, does it fit well w/ the other songs... such questions lead to A LOT of debate here.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 13:52

I hate this song!

Sorry.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 14:27

Great Mick soul vocal. Beautiful.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: June 22, 2010 14:42

I thougt it was skipped from IORR because Rod Stewart also did this song on his LP in the same period, don't know the exact days.
Maybe I am wrong.

mr.Fancyman

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:02

mckalk
71Tele

Interesting about IORR being a side of covers. Drift Away does not sound like it would need any Jaggerizaton to be released. I saw something on line that Richards was not on it...lots of voices on the backing vocals, sounds to me like he is in there?

sounds to me Keith is on backups - fairly certain IMO.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:08

The Stones version sounds great !! Really love it.
Rod Stewart sings it on Atlantic Crossing album.
also a great version.

Both versions give me the shivers.

One Love

jeroen

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 22, 2010 15:13

It should be on IORR instead of that lame, dull and boring Ain't to Proud to Beg. It's apt for that album musically as well as as for its lyrics. Nice guitars and vocals by the Micks. It's my last (bonus) vid on YT. Excellent sound:

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:25

Also remember that in the days pf vinyl dominating how music was distributed one had to take into account the length of the album. If you went over 25 minutes aside(most single lps were never more than around 45 mins or so total) you started losing volume and quality. I'm no expert on it but thats what I've read. So if too many songs were selected one may have to go to 2 lp format. Maybe thats why the original EXILE vinyl sounded so good and loud to me( with the length of the sides not being that long!) Ever noticed how nice and loud and full fidelity FOGHAT's lps always sounded? Could it be because they were always fairly short time wise?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 22, 2010 16:47

I would think the reason Ain't Too Proud To Beg got put on is mostly because of their love for that era of music. Drift Away was brand new. They did a bunch of other covers that were in the same vein as Ain't Too Proud To Beg from what I understand, old black music, so to me it's obvious why Drift Away didn't get on the album.

Date: June 22, 2010 17:40

skipstone
I would think the reason Ain't Too Proud To Beg got put on is mostly because of their love for that era of music. Drift Away was brand new. They did a bunch of other covers that were in the same vein as Ain't Too Proud To Beg from what I understand, old black music, so to me it's obvious why Drift Away didn't get on the album.

That was my speculative thought also....I am not positive on the chronology, but I think Drift Away had just been a monster hit for Dobie Gray. I think it would have been odd (probably not the right word) for the Stones to release a cover of in essence a recent hit by another artist. Too bad they did not release it before Uncle Krackers version and blown it away!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2010 17:53

stones' version is nothing special...i'll take dobie's, rod's and the neville's versions over it...

Date: June 22, 2010 18:04

Drift Away was written by Mentor Williams, Dobie Gray's producer for the same titled album that was released in March of 1973.

So...I would think the Stones liked the song enough to record it but felt it was too soon to release it when they decided not to do a Side A of covers Side B live tracks (if that is indeed what really was going to happen) and then promptly forgot about it. They could have released it as a B-side I guess.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:28

I think of this cut as an extension of mick's interest in Southern rock in the early '70s... he hangs with Steve Stills, plays on a Mountain record (or Leslie West solo?), and as His Majesty points out, there's a bit of Delaney & Bonnie to the arrangements on Exile.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 18:32

kleermaker
It should be on IORR instead of that lame, dull and boring Ain't to Proud to Beg. It's apt for that album musically as well as as for its lyrics. Nice guitars and vocals by the Micks. It's my last (bonus) vid on YT. Excellent sound:

surely all guitars are by keith, mick taylor overdubs needed.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:34

It's an awful song. It's a country song instead of a soul track. I hate it.

Just give me Ain't Too Proud to Beg !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2010 20:57

StonesTod
stones' version is nothing special...i'll take dobie's, rod's and the neville's versions over it...

I'll take it over "under the boardwalk"

Date: June 22, 2010 21:05

Dobie Gray said he thought the record label (ABC) didn't know how to market a black guy doing country songs.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 22, 2010 21:16

The Dobie Gray album from 1973 is where Keith got We Had It All. It's on side one, I think. Dobie's version is just as sad (and beautiful).

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2010 21:18

skipstone
Dobie Gray said he thought the record label (ABC) didn't know how to market a black guy doing country songs.

charley pride, anyone?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 22, 2010 21:22

tomk
The Dobie Gray album from 1973 is where Keith got We Had It All. It's on side one, I think. Dobie's version is just as sad (and beautiful).

hmm, this might poke a hole in my "the Stones did Drift Away because mick was into Southern rock in the early '70s" theory.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 23, 2010 00:13

StonesTod
skipstone

charley pride, anyone?

and now Hootie! (Darius Rucker)

Date: June 23, 2010 06:21

StonesTod
skipstone

charley pride, anyone?

I think "Drift" got to #5 US on the pop charts, not sure what Dobie's complaint was? It was all over the radio when I was kid in the Pacific NW.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 23, 2010 08:31

mckalk
StonesTod
skipstone

charley pride, anyone?

I think "Drift" got to #5 US on the pop charts, not sure what Dobie's complaint was? It was all over the radio when I was kid in the Pacific NW.

Yeah, I used to wake up to the "Imus In The Morning" radio show and "Drift Away" was played all the time. It was a huge hit. I remember Steely Dan's "Reeling In The Years" from around the same time. That's when radio was radio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home