Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Big bash for fans - Keith's book release - Norway
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: August 15, 2010 12:12

Thanks for the info Daffodil! Jeg håper "Livet" blir en suksess i Finland, også!
Ha ha, yes - the Bergen accent is a handfull - even to most Norwegians. And if you travel a bit further up the west coast - ut gets even more difficult. Some of Patti Hansen's family is from Geiranger - the fjord - and they met her and Keith in Oslo in 2007. I spoke with two of them and really had to concentrate and ask them to repeat stuff and speak slowly, to understand what they said.

BluzDude: You're right about the translators. Sometimes it's so embarrassing what they come up with, it makes you wanna cry. Unintendedly funny. Most of the problem is they don't have a clue about idioms and local history. They just use their big, fat, dictionaries and have a go at it. How the cinema distributors fail to notice their incompetence - well that's a mystery!

Posted by: Daffodil ()
Date: August 15, 2010 12:20

Addicted
Jeg håper "Livet" blir en suksess i Finland, også!

Thanks! BTW, the title of the book in Finnish is "Elämä" (=Life).

Date: August 15, 2010 12:24

Daffodil
Addicted

Brilliant! Kippis! Kukkia for you Daffodil.
I think kippis means "cheers" and kukkia perhaps "flowers"?

Posted by: Daffodil ()
Date: August 17, 2010 09:58

Addicted
Daffodil
Addicted

Brilliant! Kippis! Kukkia for you Daffodil.
I think kippis means "cheers" and kukkia perhaps "flowers"?

Brilliant Finnish from you, cheers!

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 17, 2010 12:05

I heard time is running out for a Finnish translation. The publisher is going to use the Google translation tool for the book...

Date: August 20, 2010 12:18

That's a big, fat joke - I hope! Those google so called translation tools only lead to big laughs. Totally useless. If the job's too big for one translator, they'd better hire a team of people to make it in time for an October 26th release. That's the worldwide release date, like I've written here - some 6 weeks ago...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 20, 2010 13:35

Daffodil
Doxa
So they will release the book all around the globe with 'local' translations at the same time. I haven't heard anything of Finnish translation plan yet but then again, I don't have any "sources" in publishing companies, etc. so who knows. Of course, it could be also that Finnish translation is not included in the plan - generally translating rock music books is not very popular here - Doxa

There will also be a Finnish version this autumn. The publisher is WSOY.

I quite disagree with "translating rock music not being popular in Finland". That was true say until 15 years ago, but since then I think all the biggest rock books and also many of the marginal ones have been translated. Johnny Kniga and Like have been particularly active with the cult artist/band biographies.

And already 30 years ago books on the biggest bands got translated quite quickly, e.g. Norman's Stones biography, published in 1984, was tranlated to Finnish in 1985, by Otava. BTW, there's also another translation of the same book (albeit a bit updated one) by Jalava Kustannus in 2003.

Greetings from a fellow Finnish fan (and, admittedly, a book nerd one)

Great news! I probably get the original English one but it is good to know that it is avalable in Finnish, too!

You are probably right about the translation policy nowadays and my view needs to be updated. For example, IN ACCORDING TO THE ROLLING STONES and even Ronnie's book was translated quite quickly and there are quite many Stones books in Finnish nowadays (including one Keith Richards biography). But I remember the time so well when Norman's Stones book was the only Stones book to be found in Finnish. I think this was still the case in 2002. Taken the fact that there are so many of them in English - surely better ones as well - it was a bit odd that this particular book had a second translation in 2003... But like said, things are better now.

Good to have fellow Finnish Stones fans here!

- Doxa, another book nerd

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 22, 2010 22:53

Addicted
That's a big, fat joke - I hope! Those google so called translation tools only lead to big laughs. Totally useless. If the job's too big for one translator, they'd better hire a team of people to make it in time for an October 26th release. That's the worldwide release date, like I've written here - some 6 weeks ago...

Of course it was a joke, Addicted. Calm down...winking smiley

Date: August 23, 2010 13:43

I'm extremely calm...
Now we're thinking about doing something at the "Rockheim" - the Norwegian Rock Museum, too. It's in Trondheim, (Tussler - where are you?) and I just had a phone call from the boss up there.
It's not the official release party - but an exhibition and a concert, perhaps. We'll see!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-23 13:44 by Addicted.

Date: September 3, 2010 10:42

Update:
Keith's doing interviews with American press in the US during the book release week. (Book release is October 26th.)
The week after, he's off to London for interviews with British press.
And the week after - it's European press in Paris.

So you can prepare yourself for at least 3 weeks with Keith Richards headlines in the US, then in the UK and finally - all over Europe.

Don't know anything about Japan, the rest of Asia, or Australia or South America, unfortunately.
More news will follow!

Re: Big Keith Richards BOOK PARTY for fans. Updated Sept. 3rd
Date: September 3, 2010 10:53

Oh - I almost forgot the super important news:
The publishing house will do everything in it's power to try to fix a Keith Richards interview for IORR.org. They're impressed by the work BV's done and will push the right buttons so Björnulf can - hopefully - interview Keith for the iorr magazine.

That's what I call good news, and a confirmation of the old saying that good things happen to good people!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 3, 2010 11:13

That would be very nice indeed

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: September 3, 2010 11:28

Yes, I think so, too!
And with BVs enormous knowledge, his record breaking show attendance, I think we're guaranteed to see a very different Keith interview from him than the other reporters come up with.
And last, but not least, the IORR magazine is the best targeted marketing for the book anuone could provide. Readers: Only the most passionate among Stones fans. And I'm sure Keith will be happy to see a familiar and friendly face among all the interviewers.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 3, 2010 12:11

that would be great, for us and Bjornulf.
looking forward to it.
One Love
jeroen

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: September 3, 2010 16:51

Addicted
Oh - I almost forgot the super important news:
The publishing house will do everything in it's power to try to fix a Keith Richards interview for IORR.org. They're impressed by the work BV's done and will push the right buttons so Björnulf can - hopefully - interview Keith for the iorr magazine.

That's what I call good news, and a confirmation of the old saying that good things happen to good people!

Wonderful news for BV, for IORR and for the fans. Congrats to BV. Indeed, we get back what we give out!!

Date: September 3, 2010 18:47

Yup! Some call it Karma. I call it bl**dy FAIR!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 3, 2010 19:04

Good luck to BV in getting the Keith interview.

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: September 3, 2010 19:56

Nice! So this is going to be in Norway or what? I live in sweden so it would'nt be so far to go.

Date: September 3, 2010 20:59

Yes, the release party is at Parkteatret in Grünerløkka, Oslo. Everyone at iorr are of course welcome. Ticketsales will start soon - I'll keep you posted!

[[size=large]b]What's happening?[/b][/size]
A Keith Richards quiz - with really NICE prizes, hosted by Norway's leading rock journalist - ans a passionate Stones fan, Bård Ose.

Showtime: The Glimmer Twins - and special guest, Blondie Chaplin.

Hopefully - a jam session.
We've invited most of Norway's rock musicians - the good ones!

We serve Shepherds Pie, (Doris Richards' recipie), Nuclear Waste, Let it Bleed and Exile on Main Street. (Great longdrinks)
There's a Rolling Stones cake, an exact replica of the ones they have in the Rattlesnake Inn, PG tips tea, beer - the lot!
And at midnight: We sell the first copies of "Life" - translated to Norwegian.
People are travelling from far away to attend, so Swedes, Danes, Finns, Germans - the lot! Come on over!

Date: September 4, 2010 02:05

Wait a sec.. the glimmer twins, will MJ and KR be there of what?? : o

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: September 4, 2010 03:35

Is there a way to know in how many countries it will be released? I'd like to know if it will be released here in Argentina.
Thanks!

Date: September 4, 2010 11:07

Sorry I don't know anything about release plans in South America, Asia or Australia. I only know that they say world wide simultaneous release on October 26th.
That should mean that Rockman and Colonial, and ...the poster from NZ, get to buy the book first. While our poster from Hawaii will be almost a day behind.

But there's an easy way to find out if the local publishing houses in Argentina have bought the rights to publish the book in Spanish? I know it's been translated to Spanish, because I've got the list ov reporters who are going to interview Keith in Paris during the second week of November. Spanish TV's there.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 4, 2010 13:44

I guess hoping for some kind of UK book launch is unrealistic, which seems a shame since Keith is a Londoner and would be welcomed by throngs of Stones fans...Addicted couldn't you organise for all iorr's to be able to purchase signed copies! I'm sure we'd all be very grateful and since we are the true hard core fans, it would be a nice touch from Keith smoking smiley

Date: September 4, 2010 14:20

crumbling_mice
I guess hoping for some kind of UK book launch is unrealistic, which seems a shame since Keith is a Londoner and would be welcomed by throngs of Stones fans...Addicted couldn't you organise for all iorr's to be able to purchase signed copies! I'm sure we'd all be very grateful and since we are the true hard core fans, it would be a nice touch from Keith smoking smiley

I would have loved to be able to hand out signed copies to everyone here, but that's very... unrealistic.
However - I'm hoping to bring back a few signed copies of the book, eventually. And do something nice with them here on iorr. Like perhaps a little competition, a quiz, with signed books as prizes. We'll see what happens. But I promise I'm going to try!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 4, 2010 14:31

Thanks for keeping us up to date Addicted, if a few signed copies could come the way of us Aussie and NZ fans - would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Date: September 4, 2010 14:33

Addicted!!! When you said The glimmer twins, do you mean MJ and KR ?! In that case, I must @#$%& go there : )

Date: September 4, 2010 15:50

Pelle - no, I'm so sorry - it's a cover band - but a good one.
Keith will be in New York during the week of the book release. The week after, it's London, talking to British press, and then Paris for the rest of the European markets.

Date: September 4, 2010 15:54

klrkcr
Thanks for keeping us up to date Addicted, if a few signed copies could come the way of us Aussie and NZ fans - would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

All Aussie and NZ fans can of course enter the competition - just like everyone else.
But first, I have to speak with Keith and ask him, very politely, if he would consider signing a few book covers for the iorr-people. He already knows it's a good crowd. (well - mostly!)

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: September 4, 2010 15:56

Ah Addicted, we're all good folk Down under!!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 4, 2010 16:24

Good luck BV...catch your dreams before they slip away....

I'll do the interview for Holland. Presentation of his book in the most beautiful bookshop in the world...and it's in Maastricht smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home