Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Overproduction or just my ears?
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:01

I would like to point out a couple songs that first stick out in my mind for this discussion.

"I'm Going Down"

"Zip Mouth Angel"

Listening to these on boot's my first impression is - raw, the sound is great! vocals rough. The sound is so tight! It leaves a mighty impression of how the Stones got the reputation of being the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band.

Then you take "I'm Going Down" and listen to it properly mixed & compare it to the boot. The drum sound is HORRIBLE! It has lost all it's edge! And just lay's flat. It doesn't even groove!

Now my point & question is.

Is it just my tast that I prefer the bootleg versions? And perhap's other's think the just the opposite. and think the boot's are "unprofessional" and needs "worked up"
Or do the Stones, striving for perfection, overproduce these gems, and lost the original "feel"..was it the producer? the studio? etc...

Either way I would cringe to hear some of my favorite and beloved boot tracks remixed and ruin it for me. i.e "Family",

So that leads up to the forthcoming Exile release. We have all heard the outtakes and sessions from the boots. Will the remixes make them fall flat?

Don't do it Hillside Blues!!!

Any thoughts and opionions on this subject I am truly looking forward to!

Will the bonus tracks leave us thinking

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Overproduction or just my ears?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 24, 2010 03:09

I'm wondering if the fast wobbly leslie effect on the guitar on Family was done in the 70's for the Metamorphosis album!?

ALO worked on the tapes on behalf of Klein. In an interview with ALO from the time, you can hear parts of Downtown Suzie playing in the background.

Date: January 24, 2010 03:29

Interesting question. But I beleive the Leslie effect was always there from the beggining as it's on the Beggar's Banquet outtakes boot I have.

Also, I wasn't specifically concentrating on the Metamorphosis album. But their whole career i.e. some excellent examples of the overproduction butchering is just to listen to the Tattoo You outtakes!

Date: January 24, 2010 03:31

Marhsall
Interesting question. But I beleive the Leslie effect was always there from the beggining as it's on the Beggar's Banquet outtakes boot I have.

There's a version with and without, they could simply have taken the with from the meta album. winking smiley

Date: January 24, 2010 03:35

Point taken.

As we are on the topic do you prefer the acoustic or electric version?

I think both have thier strenghts in thier own right. The acoustic is very rich sounding and fills with the drums and bass just great.

The electric has more of a powerful drama w/ the word's and think it work's better in that setting

You?

Date: January 24, 2010 03:44

I prefer the version without the leslie effect, but it's a shit song so I never listen to it. winking smiley

Date: January 24, 2010 03:54

Really? wow, I love that song!
It amazes me how some songs didn't make the official albums!

Blood Red Wine
Zip Mouth Angel
Honest Man
We Had It All
I Can See It
Stuck Out All Alone
Tried To Talk Her Into It

But then again, I'm straying from my original point. Would these songs sound better/worse with a remix, another take, diff. studio, production, etc...

Seems to me the bootleg's have the upper hand in freshness, tightness, ...

Imagine Voodoo Lounge more raw like the plethora of boot's from those sessions!

Date: January 25, 2010 02:53

Any other thought's or point's?

Date: January 26, 2010 02:33

Althought there is one point in case that doesn't hold up well with my argument. And that's the brown sugar outtakes.. I don't think they hold up well at all against the official recording.. although I must say the one w/ E.C. playing slide at Keef's b-day party is quite interesting. Glad they didn't use it on the official recording.

Though Taylor would have played some slick slide on that!!

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:36

Yeah, I agree. Leave Hillside Blues alone! Or release it a it is.

I like the bootleg version of I'm Going Down way better too, with the false start present and everything.

Date: January 26, 2010 03:01

Awww t.y. Hillside Blues. someone finally agrees w/ me!

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:07

Yep Marhsall, it seems we're on the same page.

Tried To Talk Her Into It is among my favorites but the main reason it didn't make the Undercover album is because the lyrics aren't exactly finished.

Date: January 26, 2010 04:10

yes the false start is cool. LEAVE IT IN! `... T.T.T.H.I.I. Is a great song, unfinshied or not! love it!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 26, 2010 04:33

i don't like when they overproduce the vocals. for example it's only rock ans roll. i really like this song but when i hear the videoclip version i think it sounds a hundred times better, the same thing with miss you. when i first heard the jagger-only chorus of mixed emotions on the 25x5 video, i thought "they should have let mick sing the chorus alone". even on get yer ya ya's out there are later-added vocals by keith on nearly every track. i don't know why but i really prefer the jagger-only versions. for example JJF movie vs. yayas......

Date: January 26, 2010 04:56

I agree w/ M.E. Sounds alot better w/ out all the background vocs. But I do feel it works w/ Miss You consdering the type of song it is.

Another point Claudine great unreleased track! Now, if they ever brought it out remixed etc.. I think it would be overproduced and lose all it's edge...

I'm worried the Re-release of Exile will have the same effect to the songs..

Date: January 29, 2010 04:36

Just listend to Zip Mouth Angel again! AMAZING!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home