Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Review of Aerosmith @ The O2, London
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 17, 2010 15:17

Re: OT: Review of Aerosmith @ The O2, London
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: June 17, 2010 15:57

Mmmmm I was at that gig too. As a casual fan I have to say I quite enjoyed it and I love the late era Aerosmith including the ballads. Pink was superb, Elevator rocked the joint and Hard on the Knees superb. I have to say the blues numbers they tackled were the downside of the evening...why? Because they use a big slegdehammer to crack a peanut, no subtlety just blunt force trauma on the ears. Blues is a subtle music and loud rock n roll bands like Aerosmith should stick to playing their kind of rock.

Having said that the old numbers were great and Walk this Way was superb. Would I go see them again? Probably not. Why? Tickets at £85 for nosebleeds way too expensive and I've seen them now so don't really feel the urge to go again.

By way of an aside I saw Bon Jovi the week before at the same venue in very similar seats and they were superb and I would probably go and see them again. In fact if you can go do yourself a favour. Go and buy a Bon Jovi ticket for the O2. I'm only a casual Jovi fan by the way.

Out of 5

Aerosmith 3 stars
Bon Jovi 4.25 stars

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 17, 2010 17:24

I looked at Aerosmith's setlist for Donington the other day and it just made me grateful i didnt fork out £100 to see em in London

I wish they'd ditch all that post 1985 crap

Date: June 17, 2010 17:34

I like the post '85 crap as my first Aerosmith album was Permanent Vacation.

NickB

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2010 17:47

i never laughed so hard .go see bon jovi, but skip aerosmith .ha ha ha ha ha

Date: June 17, 2010 19:34

Yeah I know why you laughed coz if somebody had said that to me I would laugh too. Beforehand I was thinking that Jovi were gonna be crap and Aerosmith fantastic. But Mr Greek the tables were turned. Weird huh?

NickB

Date: June 17, 2010 19:51

NickB
I like the post '85 crap

Really?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: June 17, 2010 20:02

One of my favourite bands. Always been a bit hit and miss live. The first time I saw em (Birmingham 1990 I think) they opened with Rats in the cellar. They had a full height red curtain covering the whole stage and for the first minute of the song they were performing hidden behind the curtain which suddenly dropped revealing the band in full flight. One of the best openings I have ever seen. Great gig. Saw em 3 nights later in a tiny venue in Livingston (their first ever Scottish show) and they were shit!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 17, 2010 20:03

I like Aerosmith quite a bit......and was thoroughly entertained the 2 times I've seen them live.

don't like the ballads like Don't Wanna Miss A THing..or whatever.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: June 17, 2010 20:11

it was @#$%& great!

Date: June 17, 2010 22:44

what was the setlist?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 17, 2010 22:49

keefriffhard4life
what was the setlist?

[tinyurl.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2010 23:02

pretty good setlist , i would be happy if i was there .i am overdue to see boston's finest (2005 was the most recent)

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: June 18, 2010 00:35

Boston's finest is the J. Geils Band. They will likely open the show in August at Fenway. I would skip Aerosmith altogether....

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 18, 2010 02:28

andy js
I looked at Aerosmith's setlist for Donington the other day and it just made me grateful i didnt fork out £100 to see em in London

Me too. the setlist looks boring and I'm disappointed. I'm passing, unfortunately.

Date: June 18, 2010 02:34

custom55
andy js

Me too. the setlist looks boring and I'm disappointed. I'm passing, unfortunately.

what? the setlist includes one of aerosmiths best tunes "lord of the thighs" which i haven't seen played in awhile plus "chip away the stone"

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: June 19, 2010 10:52

I was at the Aerosmith show and it was great. I've seen them before so the post rehab material was similar to Hyde Park in'07. They did play so fairly rare tracks including two off my favorite Aerosmith album nine lives as well as rarely heard songs like chip away the stone and lord of the thighs.

On a side note I also saw Bon Jovi there a few days before and they were amazing. They played a set which was light on hits and included many tracks not played for 10-20 years. Keith... take note.

Date: June 19, 2010 18:55

keefriffhard4life
what? the setlist includes one of aerosmiths best tunes "lord of the thighs" which i haven't seen played in awhile plus "chip away the stone"

Yes, but to get those you also had to stand through a turd field

Love in an Elevator
Falling in Love (is Hard on the Knees)
Eat The Rich
Pink
Livin' on the Edge
What It Takes
Cryin'
I Don't Want To Miss a Thing

and the drawn out blues wankathons

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 5, 2010 18:46

Saw them last saturday and they kicked ass big time! It's actually nice to watch a band whose guitar players actually PLAY!

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 5, 2010 20:49

well ok; I've been an aerosmith fan (on and off) since the mid 70's

Aside from the albums everyone has to own (their first 4, up to Rocks) and perhaps Draw the Line as well, which had it's moments (so did Night in The Ruts), but after that they turned to song doctoring and sucked out loud.

If you want the essental boots to me there are really only two or three that matter;

the Aug 29, 1975 Central Park show where they were touring Toys In The Attic - listen at Wolfgang's Vault - the show and sound are fantastic

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

..that one has been booted a zillion times

..the Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Philadelphia show broadcast on radio on March 26, 1978

..the Texas Jam show July 4 1978 - also booted a zillion times

I love these shows. Whenever I need to hear live Aerosmith, any of these are always within reach.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 6, 2010 00:27

horrible bonjovi-type band. They were ONCE pretty good.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 6, 2010 02:22

mickscarey
They were ONCE pretty good.
Which is more than we can say for you.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2010 05:16

stones77
well ok; I've been an aerosmith fan (on and off) since the mid 70's

Aside from the albums everyone has to own (their first 4, up to Rocks) and perhaps Draw the Line as well, which had it's moments (so did Night in The Ruts), but after that they turned to song doctoring and sucked out loud.

If you want the essental boots to me there are really only two or three that matter;

the Aug 29, 1975 Central Park show where they were touring Toys In The Attic - listen at Wolfgang's Vault - the show and sound are fantastic

[www.wolfgangsvault.com]

..that one has been booted a zillion times

..the Tower Theater, Upper Darby, Philadelphia show broadcast on radio on March 26, 1978

..the Texas Jam show July 4 1978 - also booted a zillion times

I love these shows. Whenever I need to hear live Aerosmith, any of these are always within reach.

Yes to all of this. Another good boot is the WLIR live broadcast from My Father's Place, Roslyn, New York, in 1974.

Posted by: stones77 ()
Date: July 7, 2010 22:40

Yes to all of this. Another good boot is the WLIR live broadcast from My Father's Place, Roslyn, New York, in 1974.

-- cool thanks; downed it and very cool version of Woman of the World on there

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: July 8, 2010 00:58

man wish i cudda been there; i don't like the setlist much either; all the eighties crap; a little too heavy with that; but man it sounds like they are playing well and such; and that's amazing when i they nk about it. all the drama, falls injuries addictions breakups, threats to get new singer, steve won't call joe; joe says eff u get a new singer; the band is still hot; the guys are still crazy bitches and at this late stage still out there drawing big crowds and putting it out where it counts. brand and joe can seriously seriously rock; tom and joey old horses in the same herd. i think it's enormously exciting that they are back. yes i would prefer their seventies catalog with half dozen other things; the movie thing is ok but all that eighties geffen mtv stuff on top of pop ballads and what is being reported as pointless blues jams...well, they are hot and happening as players they should get rid of about half dozen of those war horses. i like draw the line. i was with them for a long long time.spent sooo much time with first four albums. loved the first two just about played them out. the seventies would soon be swallowed with progressive rock and disco shit. here was aerosmith, mott the hoople, just a few. just a few early seventies rock and roll bands from third generation burning wild like it was still sixty eight. burning wild. stomping great big analog drum sounds ala naturelll and just killing it. i am always open to them. i'm glad they are still there. not many third generation guys are intact like this. those first four say five albums. wow. they always deserve my interest and respect. and the mighty j. gels with peter wolf. boston's besets. it's amazing they are working together. steve sounding ok?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 8, 2010 02:16

stones77

-- cool thanks; downed it and very cool version of Woman of the World on there

Yeah, that's a good show. Recorded in 300-seat club just a few months before Toys In The Attic was released. WLIR did some great live broadcasts in those days. They did one in '72 with Lou Reed at the old Ultrasonic Studios in Hempstead, Long Island that became THE definitive LR bootleg. So much so that it eventually became an official release.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: July 8, 2010 08:39

Ditto the Big Star set from Ultrasonic '74 that was bootlegged and eventually saw official release. Love that Aerosmith show too, I have it on vinyl as Live Bootleg Vol. 2. And, yeah, that version of Woman of the World is the highlight.

I'd add one more Aerosmith boot favourite and that would be Get Your Lead Out Mama, a 2-lp set from Columbus '78 (beautiful color cover, too). Sight For Sore Eyes from the official dbl. live is from that show. Very high-energy gig !

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 8, 2010 11:02

I used to listen to the Aerosmith a lot at the grammar school in the first half of the ninetees, not much since then.

A couple of months back I realized they were to play in Prague and I thought I might check them out, but I found out too late - the FOS tickets were already gone and I didn't feel like paying a lot of money for some good seat or any money for a bad seat or standing far away from the stage.

But a week before the show they released a couple of FOS tickets, which were available for a couple of minutes and I got one, so I actually saw them the last week, was standing some 4-5 meteres in front of Joe Perry and I have to admit I had a great time. They were much better than I expected and would deffinitely go to see them again.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 8, 2010 12:46

Saw them once back in 76 and that was it for me. Had a good time but nothing more.
I remember the gig was part of a Summer Series concerts at Balboa Stadium and this one was moved to the Sports Arena, never knew why. BTW, Jeff Beck opened and he was a though act to follow.

Glad you enjoy it this time around.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 8, 2010 17:00

Beelyboy
steve sounding ok?

Steve Tyler has been just AMAZING in this tour. One of his best EVER, no doubt about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1388
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home