Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk (Exile Deluxe): Following The River
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 1, 2010 13:49

If Jagger writes one more song where he says "my cards are on the table" I'm gonna vomit.

Drew

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:34

Clearly a Mick Jagger mix, very contradictory with the whole Exile On Mainstreet sound. Thank god he didn't mix the album back then. I don't like his singing - too post Undercover (micks last great singing album) I thought his voice was going to crack open when trying to hit the high notes.... The only thing I like about it (and who wouldn't?) is Nicky Hopkins piano.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:40

haha, this songs mix sounds a lot like exile. too much so for my liking. and i thought mick actually mixed exile. his voice is fine. a bit too much in the beginning of the song, but fine overall. the piano is the weak point. this sounds more like mick jagger than nicky hopkins.

and if this is not charlie on drums, then maybe they can hire that guy as a backup for charlie for the next tour. or let him play under the stage.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 1, 2010 15:56

I love "Out of Tears" and "Hang On To Me Tonight" and "Old Habits Die Hard."

I dislike "Streets of Love" and "Stealing My Heart" and consider them embarrassing.

I loathe and detest "Following the River." It's a piss-poor attempt at writing a pop ballad in the same fashion as early Jagger-Richards songwriting efforts such as "We Were Falling in Love." The result ranges from cringe-worthy to trite.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 1, 2010 16:03

I think Mick was really singing about his beloved car that he wrecked in the river.
so much over done, over marinated whining can only be felt when you love your car so much.
to bad, all gone, all lost.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 1, 2010 16:15

Exile is an unusual album because even though it was a two-record set album,it has no ballads (and certainly no violins). That just makes "Following the River" sound even more out of place on the Deluxe version.

"Plunder My Soul" showed he can still create a great song, but I guess he doesn't have anyone to tell him when he's gone completely astray.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 1, 2010 16:31

I quite like this song and to Quote erik:

Erik_Snow

Yeah I hate every single Rolling Stones song that's not dancing on the edge between "hard rock" and "heavy metal"

Ballads....whew - what emotional baloney

I'm definetly more of a 'hard rock' 'Heavy metal' kinda guy and for that I am making no excuses. pin me to the cross if ya like.

Only problem with this track is the lyric

'I love the way the combs tucked in your hair'

WTF? drinking smiley

Other than that. Think it holds itself well on the record if taken as an 'Old & New' kinda compilation

Date: October 1, 2010 16:42

>>Other than that. Think it holds itself well on the record if taken as an 'Old & New' kinda compilation<<

I for one would love to hear the original fragments that were recorded in '71.
Keith gets credited for playing acoustic and electric guitar! where is he ? he's not in the mix at all.
I can imagine absolutely everything was re-recorded in 2009 - only the basic idea was taken to '09.
it only makes them the glimmer twins when they actually work together.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 1, 2010 17:04

Mick's singing on this track, the line "I've been thinkin' of your" something unintelligible and especially towards the latter part, "I'll be calling out your name" twice (just copied and pasted), and from there on, is awful bad. Is he attempting to call a cat? It's bizarre that he did a pretty good job on Plundered but on this one, heh, it's a solo song.

And it's not a matter of 'well at least they gave us something'. I bought it, I can say what I want about it. Even before the singing started upon first listen I knew why they left this track off - it's too much like Loving Cup meets Shine A Light.

If this tune is an example of how Mick can't be bothered then any possible future releases of this nature are doomed.

Date: October 1, 2010 17:57

open-g
>>Other than that. Think it holds itself well on the record if taken as an 'Old & New' kinda compilation<<

I for one would love to hear the original fragments that were recorded in '71.
Keith gets credited for playing acoustic and electric guitar! where is he ? he's not in the mix at all.
I can imagine absolutely everything was re-recorded in 2009 - only the basic idea was taken to '09.
it only makes them the glimmer twins when they actually work together.

sorry dude, I was talking about the album as a whole, with a combination of old tracks, new tracks and some tracks caught in the middle somewhere like the twilight zone.

I kinda like the way the whole thing holds togather IF viewed as a cocktail with a mixture of ingredients, and from what am lead to understand Following the River was a track written from scratch by Jagger for this release.

Originally I was hoping for a complete rarities open valut release but upon hearing it, and of course reading all the media blub that came with it I knew that this wasn't what I was gonna get.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 1, 2010 19:48

jags stops the jive don covay thang to mimic someone w one nostril. people cant u see what a cmwnurageous adventurous risk he is taking here? the more i listen here im thinking this is NOT ELEVATOR MUZAK! detonating this one in a small confined spAce wud be deadly as a toxic gas. its evolutionary and revokutionary in its giving nature. a big emo step for mick. he knows how much we love him ... even worship his archetypial prowess and he is say4ng ... look i know im morttal like other men not so wealthy ... and he cares so much he wants to make sure we dont go thru 2 much pain when he retires . instead he is saying we arent really gonna be missing g anytgng

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:24

gimmelittledrink
Exile is an unusual album because even though it was a two-record set album,it has no ballads (and certainly no violins). That just makes "Following the River" sound even more out of place on the Deluxe version.

think you might be importing a "rockers"/"ballads" classification onto an album made when this wasn't such a rigid idea. I would say there are many ballads on Exile.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 1, 2010 20:28

Doxa
cc
I raised this when someone first posted an overwrought paean to the video: what does the video have to do with the song?

A key factor is EXILE ON MAIN STREET. Both of them are different extensions of its theme. What Jagger sings about does not have any relavance to the video content (even though the feeling or the sentiments of the music goes well with the pictures). We need to know the common factor - EXILE - beforehand to see the connection. It is incredibly controversial and ambitious attempt in today's standards. No "easy" indications are offered. This is a kind of thing I have missed for a long time. This video could have done for a Dylan song very easily and it had been a logical move and no further questions would not have been asked. But with The Stones.. "what a hell?". The Stones showed same kind of maturity and artistic purity without any cheap pop compromises or tricks as they did with EXILE. Most of all, they didn't underestimate their fans.

(A typical, MTV-era video would have been a kind of "Out of Tears" - one can easily make a manuscript for such a turkey - the Stones have done so many of them based on their philmographic essence.)

- Doxa

ok, I suppose it's better than having mick standing at a bus stop in the rain, while we watch a young attractive couple quarreling through a lighted window... but don't you think the imagery of the South and the Great Migration to the North is cheaply sentimental and nostalgic? It's like a Ken Burns movie (don't know if you know the reference--American public television figure, maker of "serious" documentaries which push all the right buttons of upper middle class viewers). It strains for a significance that the song certainly doesn't have (though I don't loathe the song, myself). It apparently worked on Turd, who logged the original review here and who, to judge by his posts, has a thing for bombast and pomposity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-10-01 20:40 by cc.

Date: October 2, 2010 06:35

Monkeytonkman
sorry dude, I was talking about the album as a whole, with a combination of old tracks, new tracks and some tracks caught in the middle somewhere like the twilight zone....
!

Sorry dude but this is a Track Talk thread! - I 'm not talking albums - but
tracks ... and it's all about the song Following The River.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 2, 2010 07:28

And this is a track that should not be talked about any more - it should have died LONNNNNGGGG agooooooo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2010 12:18

Would love to hear Solomon Burke take on Following The River ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 3, 2010 13:06

Waw, it's cool, Rockman.
So, do you think FTR is good enough for Solomon Burke to sing it?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 3, 2010 13:12

Of course proudmary .... of course....One of the great soul voices of all time...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 3, 2010 16:09

how many more Out Of Tears, Streets Of Love, Following River ballads do we need? enough already! they are all the same song ... i'm starting to think they are following in aerosmith's footsteps.

Date: October 3, 2010 16:44

i like those latter day ballads better than the rockers.

but as open g said and the more i think about it.

following the rivers really sounds like a complete new recording.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: October 3, 2010 17:12

stoneswashed77

And Nicky Hopkins played piano from the Heavenwinking smiley

Date: October 3, 2010 17:27

open-g
Monkeytonkman
sorry dude, I was talking about the album as a whole, with a combination of old tracks, new tracks and some tracks caught in the middle somewhere like the twilight zone....
!

Sorry dude but this is a Track Talk thread! - I 'm not talking albums - but
tracks ... and it's all about the song Following The River.

I hear ya there brother, my mistake. I was talking about the track within the context of the whole album. didn't mean to make things complicated

Date: October 3, 2010 17:50

proudmary
stoneswashed77

And Nicky Hopkins played piano from the Heavenwinking smiley

it doesn´t sound like nicky hopkins, that´s what i was saying.

Date: October 3, 2010 18:00

stoneswashed77

really? as an example, you like Streets Of Love better than Rough Justice? If so, then wow!

Date: October 3, 2010 18:42

LeonidP
stoneswashed77

really? as an example, you like Streets Of Love better than Rough Justice? If so, then wow!

definately better than the awful rough justice yes. wow to you if you think different.

Date: October 3, 2010 19:02

stoneswashed77
LeonidP
stoneswashed77

definately better than the awful rough justice yes. wow to you if you think different.

ok, then an Aerosmith-ballad-repeating, has-been rock band it is!

Date: October 3, 2010 19:09

regarding that type of ballad the stones are not anywhere near in the same leage with aerosmith.

rough justice is pretty much has-been by the way.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 3, 2010 20:17

Is it just me, but are the Rolling Stones getting better with age? Like a fine red wine, they are changing, fermenting, and morphing into a new organism. I like FTR exactly because it does NOT sound like the seventies Stones.

Contrary to what some people are saying, the demise of the Stones is nowhere near. I believe we will all be surprised by the material on the new CD (if there is one).

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 3, 2010 21:33

stoneswashed77
LeonidP
stoneswashed77

wowww

wow really? u really really sure? u dont even want totheenk about it? wow. rj man. or am i just one gof ur cocks ruff justice on ya u know u nevver break my heart. whoooooo

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 3, 2010 23:41

Check the clip by open-g above! It's hilarous!! Works at least for me, and I can't stop laughing! thumbs up

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home