Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Soundgarden Reunite
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 16:19

FINALLY!! Never understood why they broke up in the first place, at the pinnacle of their fame! And once Chris Cornell split from Audioslave, I thought this was going to be a given. Instead we got that horrendous second solo disc...Can't wait to catch these guys!

Re: OT: Soundgarden Reunite
Date: January 4, 2010 16:22

Will be interesting...

One of the few interesting grunge bands, imo.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 16:23

Yup, I'll second that one!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:32

Fantastic song.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 4, 2010 17:41

Their drummer is busy with Pearl Jam, isnĀ“t he?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:18

Yeah but things wind down in October or something.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 4, 2010 19:41

Fantastic news! One of my fave bands ever, Superunknown and Down on the Upside are among the best albums of the last 25 years.

Mathijs

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:10

VoodooLounge13
FINALLY!! Never understood why they broke up in the first place, at the pinnacle of their fame! And once Chris Cornell split from Audioslave, I thought this was going to be a given. Instead we got that horrendous second solo disc...Can't wait to catch these guys!
Seems like the usual deal where the singer/songwriter gets too big of a head, splits and does his thing for awhile, but then realizes that he can't fill up a 2,000 auditorium, and gets the old band back together to play on large bills in arenas. Why would anybody get back with their original bands unless they could make some money? That's what Scott Weiland said about the STP reunion - they were all out of money. I've got tickets to see Alice in Chains, I guess they decided to quit sitting around being broke, got a singer that sounds like the last one, made an album that sounds like the old ones, and go make some money on tour. They're discovering what the Stones did long ago - their audience is growing up, and they have disposable income.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 4, 2010 20:52

funny how back in the day i thought alot alot of bands from the late 80's and early 90's like soundgarden, guns n roses, nirvana, alice in chains , had potential to be around for decades but most self destructed and or became weaker watered down versions of the original versions of the bands.

Date: January 4, 2010 21:13

Brue
VoodooLounge13
Seems like the usual deal where the singer/songwriter gets too big of a head, splits and does his thing for awhile, but then realizes that he can't fill up a 2,000 auditorium, and gets the old band back together to play on large bills in arenas. Why would anybody get back with their original bands unless they could make some money? That's what Scott Weiland said about the STP reunion - they were all out of money. I've got tickets to see Alice in Chains, I guess they decided to quit sitting around being broke, got a singer that sounds like the last one, made an album that sounds like the old ones, and go make some money on tour. They're discovering what the Stones did long ago - their audience is growing up, and they have disposable income.

The big difference is that STP never made the big money, whereas both Soundgarden and AIC earned millions. Layne Staley left $22 million when he died, Chris Cornell is said to own $60 million. And, Chris Cornell played the big festivals and arena's with Audioslave.

Mathijs

Date: January 4, 2010 21:28

Mathijs
Brue
VoodooLounge13

The big difference is that STP never made the big money, whereas both Soundgarden and AIC earned millions. Layne Staley left $22 million when he died, Chris Cornell is said to own $60 million. And, Chris Cornell played the big festivals and arena's with Audioslave.

Mathijs

STP sold an awful lot of records. Weiland used to play festivals with that other band with Slash. There's no telling how much money each group has, but if they want to make more, they know they need to get the old band back together and go on a greatest hits tour. Of course, they'll have a new album to tour behind, and it'll probably suck for the most part, but it will attempt to make them look hip by doing that. They're all getting into their late-thirties/early forties, and that's when the creative spigot gets turned off.

Date: January 4, 2010 21:33

Damn, they're older than I thought - they're going 45, 47, 49, etc.

Posted by: mothra665 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:12

maybe cameron will pull double (triple) duty for a soundgarden/pearl jam/temple of the dog tour.
hell throw faith no more and jane's addiction in for a 90's revival and i'm in for a lil' road trippin'smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:25

Great band.

Always loved there Stray Cat Blues version

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 00:26

OMG, that's SO 20th century -- I bet these guys just stand there and actually PLAY their instruments. What about the dance routines? (LOL)

Now, for real:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-05 00:32 by bassplayer617.

Date: January 5, 2010 00:39

Mathijs
Brue
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

STP was the band that made the big money. Not sure where the notion comes from they made no money. They sold 40 million album.

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: January 5, 2010 01:12

I owned Soundgarden's 90s output, but I think I'll hold out for the Stooges reunion tour of the USA.

Date: January 5, 2010 21:27

Brue
Mathijs
Brue
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

STP sold an awful lot of records. Weiland used to play festivals with that other band with Slash. There's no telling how much money each group has, but if they want to make more, they know they need to get the old band back together and go on a greatest hits tour. Of course, they'll have a new album to tour behind, and it'll probably suck for the most part, but it will attempt to make them look hip by doing that. They're all getting into their late-thirties/early forties, and that's when the creative spigot gets turned off.

I don't believe that -STP had a minor hit record with Plush and the Core album, and then vritually dissapeared from the main stream market. They have always been rated as "second class grunge band", no way they sold 40 million albums.

Mathijs

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 5, 2010 21:36

Core: 8x Platinum
Purple: 6x Platinum

The best selling soundgarden album is superunknown: 5x platinum.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 5, 2010 21:53

NICOS
Great band.

hey NICOS thanks alot. didnt know about that songversion. cool!

Date: January 5, 2010 23:35

BowieStone

This is really surprising. In Europe they're only known for Plush, and to date they only play to small audiences. They always have been considered as rip-offs of Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.

Mathijs

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: January 6, 2010 21:41

Mathijs
BowieStone

This is really surprising. In Europe they're only known for Plush, and to date they only play to small audiences. They always have been considered as rip-offs of Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.

Mathijs

A lot of people in the US consider them rip-offs and pretenders too but that's also the kind of stuff that sells like other bubble-grunge bands like Bush.

Eh - Soundgarden broke up an album too late so I am not really interested if they are picking up where they left off. The last times I saw them were very boring.

Date: January 6, 2010 22:41

Dan
Mathijs
BowieStone

Mathijs

A lot of people in the US consider them rip-offs and pretenders too but that's also the kind of stuff that sells like other bubble-grunge bands like Bush.

Eh - Soundgarden broke up an album too late so I am not really interested if they are picking up where they left off. The last times I saw them were very boring.

Yeah everybody's a critic. There were almost 20,000 people for STP when I saw them in August. Bunch of friggin hotties too. Eat your heart out, grunge boys.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2010 23:53

JC Pose still makes me wanna puke eye rolling smiley Guess I won't go see them...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 7, 2010 00:09

guitarbastard
NICOS
Great band.

hey NICOS thanks alot. didnt know about that songversion. cool!

Your welcome guitarbastard, always love to post a great Stones cover, and this is one of the best.....there arn't that many.

Soon I will post my top 10 covers and we all can fote for the best Stones cover ................

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: January 7, 2010 03:47

One of the GREAT bands

Date: January 7, 2010 09:18

Brue
Dan

Yeah everybody's a critic. There were almost 20,000 people for STP when I saw them in August. Bunch of friggin hotties too. Eat your heart out, grunge boys.

The only time I saw them was April 30th, 1993 at the Hollywood Palladium. They played last and ranked 6th for the night, probably still would if the same people played the same show today.

Stone Temple Pilots
Bad Religion
White Zombie
King Missile
Bikini Kill
Free Kitten

PS - nobody beats Poison on the hottie count so I wouldn't necessarily use that as any indicator of the quality of music at said show.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: January 7, 2010 09:52

I'm not a huge fan of STP by any means. I thought they were ok, some songs I liked, but most I got sick of quickly because they played the crap out of them on the radio here in the states. I felt they had a formula that was too repetitive. Each song seemed to only have two parts, just verse and chorus, no bridge, no real lead break, and then went back and forth between the two ad-nauseam until the song ended. And many people in America, especially critics, did call them Pearl Jam clones, but I always felt they reminded me more of Alice in Chains, especially their first single, Sex Type Thing. Scott Weiland sounds almost exactly like Layne Staley on that to me. Anyways, Wikipedia says this:

"The band has sold nearly 40 million records worldwide, including 17.5 million in the United States alone. They have had 15 top ten singles on the Billboard rock charts, including six number ones, and one number one album on the pop charts (1994's Purple). In 1994, the band won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock Performance" for their song "Plush". Stone Temple Pilots were also ranked at number 40 on VH1's The 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock."

Their albums, in order of release, reached the chart positions in America of 3, 1, 4, 6, and 9.

Out of almost 40 million albums worlwide, only 17.5 were sold in America. They must have been popular somewhere besides just the U.S. (And by the way, Soundgarden have an 8/20 million U.S./worlwide total.)

Looks like know-it-all Mathijs doesn't know everything after all.

Date: January 7, 2010 10:32

boogie1969
I'm not a huge fan of STP by any means. I thought they were ok, some songs I liked, but most I got sick of quickly because they played the crap out of them on the radio here in the states. I felt they had a formula that was too repetitive. Each song seemed to only have two parts, just verse and chorus, no bridge, no real lead break, and then went back and forth between the two ad-nauseam until the song ended. And many people in America, especially critics, did call them Pearl Jam clones, but I always felt they reminded me more of Alice in Chains, especially their first single, Sex Type Thing. Scott Weiland sounds almost exactly like Layne Staley on that to me. Anyways, Wikipedia says this:

"The band has sold nearly 40 million records worldwide, including 17.5 million in the United States alone. They have had 15 top ten singles on the Billboard rock charts, including six number ones, and one number one album on the pop charts (1994's Purple). In 1994, the band won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock Performance" for their song "Plush". Stone Temple Pilots were also ranked at number 40 on VH1's The 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock."

Their albums, in order of release, reached the chart positions in America of 3, 1, 4, 6, and 9.

Out of almost 40 million albums worlwide, only 17.5 were sold in America. They must have been popular somewhere besides just the U.S. (And by the way, Soundgarden have an 8/20 million U.S./worlwide total.)

Looks like know-it-all Mathijs doesn't know everything after all.

There is no indication that the 40 million doesn't include singles.

And Stone Temple Pilots was phony right down to pretending like they were from San Diego in the early days. I remember them being billed as Mighty Joe Young from San Diego in 1992, not developing a club following in San Diego as stated on the wiki page.

Date: January 7, 2010 12:05

<Stone Temple Pilots
Bad Religion
White Zombie
King Missile
Bikini Kill
Free Kitten>

John S. Hall (King Missile) was the first that turned up on our gig in NYC last year. An honour smiling smiley He even bought a cd and a t-shirt. Very nice guy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1402
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home