Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ampeg tubes
Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: January 3, 2010 00:35

Has the stones ever put the magnavox ampeg v4 type tubes in a fender amp? Any idea which song if it happened? If not has anyone else here tried it?

Go Dawgs!

Re: Ampeg tubes
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 3, 2010 01:12

nankerphlege
Has the stones ever put the magnavox ampeg v4 type tubes in a fender amp? Any idea which song if it happened? If not has anyone else here tried it?

If you are talking about 7027A power tubes used in the Ampeg V4's at times they are compatible with higher power Fender amps which use 6L6GC power tubes with a bias adjustment.

I doubt the Stones know one tube from another so it is hard to say if they ever had these in their amps as unless you know the tech who worked on the amps who could say for sure it would be pretty hard to tell the difference sonically....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 01:28 by oldschool.

Date: January 3, 2010 07:23

I have blues jr and blues deluxe. I was thinking it could be an interesting twist on the fender sound but if it doesn't change the sound then it might not be worth the effort.

Go Dawgs!

Date: January 3, 2010 08:05

Not saying you would not hear a difference in your amp. If you were able to do a A to B comparison with the same amp with a 7027A vs a 6L6GC power tube you would probably hear difference but it would be tough to know if the Stones used a different type of power tube in an amp on a particular song by the sound.

Also just changing out the power tubes will not make a Fender amp sound like an Ampeg amp if that is what you are looking for......

You might be able to swap a 7027A power tube for the original 6L6GC power tube in your Blues Deluxe but I would check with a qualified amp tech first.

You could not do this swap in your blues Jr. as it uses EL84 power tubes which are not pin for pin compatible with the 7027A tube....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2010 12:52

Just to note: the 7027A is nothing more than a 6L6GC with two extra pins. That's it. If you put a 7027 in a Fender amp you will need to rewire the socket and the results will be exactly the same as keeping the original 6L6, there is no sonic difference. The reason why an Ampeg V4 sounds totally different then a Fender is because it is a totally different amp. Simple as that.

The SVT uses 6550 tubes, which is a totally different beast than 6L6's. 6550's have deep bass and midrange, while 6L6's have midrange and top-end. Many people replace the EL-34 tubes in Marshall amps with 6550'd or KT-66/KT-88 tubes to loose the top-end and gain bass, midrange and overall volume.

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2010 16:26

Good info on tube swap for Ameg amp.....

[www.triodeel.com]

Mathjis, I don't think I agree you would not hear any difference between using a 7027A and a 6L6GC power tube in an amp as there are sonic differences between manufacturers of the same tube. An RCA 6L6GC sounds different than a Sylvania made 6L6GC.

Hell no two RCA 6L6GC's sound exactly the same so I am willing to bet you would hear a difference....maybe not a drastic difference but surely a difference.

Anyway unless you know something about electronics you should not monkey around inside your amp as there is high voltage which can kill you if you touch the wrong thing....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-03 16:38 by oldschool.

Date: January 3, 2010 21:07

Interesting. I like trying different stuff. I currently have el84's in my blues deluxe- very responsive vs 6l6. I like the sound w this set up but I like to change things up and see what happens. I have given up on trying to get the v4 sound in a usuabke decibel but I like the idea of mixing and matching and see what happens. I know Keith has tried alot of crazy stuff and would try to pull from his sound and experince if I can.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:27

oldschool

[www.triodeel.com]

Mathjis, I don't think I agree you would not hear any difference between using a 7027A and a 6L6GC power tube in an amp as there are sonic differences between manufacturers of the same tube. An RCA 6L6GC sounds different than a Sylvania made 6L6GC.

Hell no two RCA 6L6GC's sound exactly the same so I am willing to bet you would hear a difference....maybe not a drastic difference but surely a difference.

Anyway unless you know something about electronics you should not monkey around inside your amp as there is high voltage which can kill you if you touch the wrong thing....

Of course there are differences between various 6L6 tubes, with NOS being much better sounding than current production. But that was not the question here -the idea of the original poster was that by substituting a 6L6 in a Fender amp with a 7027 gives you more of an Ampeg sound. This is not the case.

Mathijs

Date: January 3, 2010 21:32

Mathijs
oldschool

[www.triodeel.com]

Of course there are differences between various 6L6 tubes, with NOS being much better sounding than current production. But that was not the question here -the idea of the original poster was that by substituting a 6L6 in a Fender amp with a 7027 gives you more of an Ampeg sound. This is not the case.

Mathijs

Totally agree with you Mathijs you can't turn a Fender into an Ampeg by using the same tubes...........

I was just responding to your previous comment.....

"If you put a 7027 in a Fender amp you will need to rewire the socket and the results will be exactly the same as keeping the original 6L6, there is no sonic difference"

You will not end up with an amp which sounds like a Ampeg but you will most likley hear a sonic difference..........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home