Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Glimmer Twins Bright I Don't Think So
Posted by: Highwire.uk ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:26

Lots of people talk about Mick & Keith and how good they are at keeping the Stones reputation intact.speculatin re Ronnie
Infact if they want to keep the reutation up as recording artists they will have to have a little think.
The best way The Rolling Stones record an album is as a band.I used to be amused to here other bands recording on differant days the Bass player monday drummer on tuesday and so on.Guitar players poping in on wednesday with notes from the leader on what to play.For the sake of there reputation as a band lets get away from Mick & Keith telling Charlie & Ronnie it goes like this Darryl may do as hes told But Charlie & Ronnie like Bill are the soul of the Stones machine untill they return to the old format we will not get a masterpiece we will probebly get a good album But not in the same way as you would get if you let Ronnie Charlie & Bill do ther bit of magic.
Remember the band is The Rolling Stones not Mick & Keith + the rest. Maybee the Glimmer twins are not that bright after all.

Re: The Glimmer Twins Bright I Don't Think So
Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:30

i'm not expecting the stones to release a "masterpiece". the days of masterpiecing for them is long gone.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:37

I agree with your criticism, but I suspect its down to Jagger wanting as much creative control as possible and the rest of the band agreeing as it is the only alternative to not working. There is also reason to speculate that Richards may also be suffering from a severe case of writer's block since BRIDGES TO BABYLON based on the evidence of what has seen release, but that's only guess work. They're hardly going to disclose that in interviews. In any event, if Mick wants to call most of the shots and will not compromise, there are only two options. Live off the band's legacy as his sidemen or break up.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:40

You have to respect the fact that Charlie was recovering from cancer treatment, the last time that happened.
I do hope they all get together at the same time, at the same studio for a future release though.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:45

I would respect the band more if they bowed out gracefully rather than trying to shove another mediocre album down our throats.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:47

Here you go. Pack it all on one album and
you have got something close to a masterpiece

Continental drift
Laugh I nearly die
Rough justice
Saint of me
Out of control
Love is strong
Out of tears
Already over me
She saw me coming
Back of my hand
Under the radar.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 22, 2009 20:56

bernardanderson
I would respect the band more if they bowed out gracefully rather than trying to shove another mediocre album down our throats.

Shoving it down your throat? eye popping smiley
Who's twisting your arm to buy any future release if you don't like it?

inflation must be hitting real hard 'cause the ol' 2 cents ain't worth what they used to be. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:53

glimmer twins- they will forever shine no matter what happens in the future.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 23, 2009 04:20

ChefGuevara

Continental drift
Laugh I nearly die
Rough justice
Saint of me
Out of control
Love is strong
Out of tears
Already over me
She saw me coming
Back of my hand
Under the radar.

Even if I would change 2 or 3 songs. Your message should be clear!
They recorded some great stuff over those years.

These days their main problem is their name/ "uncool" reputation.
If an album with songs like those came out under a new unknown name the response from the music media would be very interesting to observe.
I mean such a release could stand very well compared with albums from other hyped newer acts !

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 07:28

Midnight Toker
glimmer twins- they will forever shine no matter what happens in the future.

This is the best comment in this thread!

No matter what will come "The Glimmer Twins" have shone and will shine on eternaly.
They are the greatest icons of rock and roll among some other biggies like Elvis and Chuck Berry. But I guess they play in a league of their own, thouhgh.

We will never have such an enheritance from any other act.

The Stones took everything the limits and will hopefully stay there for the rest of their career. I myself didn't think they would make it through the troublesome late 60's. But they found their way through them ages too. Rolling away in a new direction, during the MT period. Then along came RW and behaved like a true Rolling Stone for ages. They might roll in another direction after the latest incidents of Ronnie's.

The endurance the Stones have gathered thru the decades of music comes a lot from the Glimmer Twins. The Stones aren't finished yet with what they want to achieve.
It's a matter of how well polished the surface of the GT's still will shine.

But I believe it's really well polished and they will finish off in style!

Let's hope for the best!

By the way, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year everyone.

We got the sun, we got the moon and we got the Rolling Stones and thank god
they have, us millions of fans all over this lovely planet!

Keep on rocking!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 15:16

ChefGuevara

Continental drift
Laugh I nearly die
Rough justice
Saint of me
Out of control
Love is strong
Out of tears
Already over me
She saw me coming
Back of my hand
Under the radar.

In the context of Stones post 81 output yes, this is probably the strongest material they have - but in the context of music generally? Can you, hand on heart, say this stands shoulder to shoulder with the best contemporary releases from the last 20 years?

ChefGuevara
These days their main problem is their name/ "uncool" reputation.

Don't agree - I don't think the band have ever been more celebrated, which is exactly the problem; they're coasting on their legend, status and reputation.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 23, 2009 15:48

I agree with those who claim that The Glimmer Twins have shown enough of their qualities
over the years to call them "bright" forever.

I agree with Highwire.Uk too, though, on the subject of recording albums. I think it is
a fact that the most enjoyable albums were a result of all the band getting together,
jamming the nights away. Somewhere during the jamming nice ideas evolved and brilliant
songs were created. All members added to the process and it took the brilliance of the
Twins to pick out the songs. Just like a sculpter finds the statue somewhere in the piece of
rock and manages to keep the best part of the rock and hack the other pieces off.

It would be cool if they would go back into the studio together for a couple of weeks
and see what happens.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 23, 2009 21:34

I think going off of A Bigger Bang and saying they've lost their glimmer is a bit much. Jagger with the Stones as his band? OK, whatever - then so was Emotional Rescue, Undercover, parts of Steel Wheels, half of Bridges, 3 of the 4 from Licks.

Do you seriously think Mick told Charlie, "This is how this song goes, you will do it this way"? No. It was no different than any other demo they've done. Sure they had the demos to go by because they worked out the arrangements but I highly highly doubt they told Charlie to go by the numbers so to speak.

And if the Stones were concerned about their legacy as recording artists they certainly don't show it. Just what aspect do you mean by that anyway? The songs and their production on A Bigger Bang? Bridges? Voodoo? The sound? What the record on and how they record? The editing? Anyone can have a great recording of a shit song (like bad reception on an HDTV - a fantastically looking shitty picture!). Not sure if that's what you mean.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 24, 2009 00:22

Laugh I nearly die & She saw me coming = utter crap imo...
Under the radar : wtf is this one?

A masterpiece? Or a b-sides comp?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home