Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones in Exile - Got my copy!
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 11, 2010 15:32

Hi folks,

just a few minutes ago amazon (germany) delivered my copy of "stones in exile". It looks nice, can´t wait to watch it later this evening ... the release today stupidly clashes with soccer-worldcupcool smiley.

Have a good time!

Re: Stones in Exile - Got my copy!
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 11, 2010 15:50

Got mine as well and had just time for the first twenty minutes to watch.

Strange.....the press conference (....,"philosophically trying".) is
dated to January 28th 1969 confused smiley,
The IORR department of history accuracity should´ve been asked...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 11, 2010 16:26

Same here

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 11, 2010 16:28

shortfatfanny
Got mine as well and had just time for the first twenty minutes to watch.

It seems that we have to take the presented facts on this DVD with some grains of salt.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 11, 2010 16:30

Maybe they left a "1" off of 28/11/1969.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 12, 2010 13:19

..and London 69 footage for UK 71 footage. Don Was saying Coppola was working on Apocalpse Now when he hadn't even started work on The Conversation or Godfather 2. He was AN exec producer but dropped it to make The Godfather which was made and released about the same time as Exile.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 12, 2010 18:15

Mick mistakenly mentioned the same thing about Apocalypse being released around the time of Exile in a recent (French?) interview. confused smiley
I guess through the haze of all the drugs, several years of that era are a bit blurry.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 12, 2010 18:24

Bought my copy too!
Try to squeeze it in between World Cup games.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 12, 2010 19:40

shortfatfanny

Geez! Seeing as the Altamont concert was in December..........obviously the press conference
(in which MJ refers to the show) would be BEFORE the december date.

I don't know about the rest of you.....but the inability to get minor things like this..and the Exile credits
correct is really irksome to me. So many people must've watched it (hopefullly checking for errors) before
its mass release...and nobody caught this?

[www.iorr.org]

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-12 19:46 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: 69boogie ()
Date: June 12, 2010 21:45

CousinC
Bought my copy too!
Try to squeeze it in between World Cup games.

World Cup soccer is stupid and boring, watching paint dry is more interesting. Same goes for all sports really.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 12, 2010 22:43

sweet neo con
shortfatfanny

Geez! Seeing as the Altamont concert was in December..........obviously the press conference
(in which MJ refers to the show) would be BEFORE the december date.

I don't know about the rest of you.....but the inability to get minor things like this..and the Exile credits
correct is really irksome to me. So many people must've watched it (hopefullly checking for errors) before
its mass release...and nobody caught this?

[www.iorr.org]

agreed, it seems more and more like just a money thing sometimes when these no excuse mistakes can be left in the finished product, its kind of insulting to be honest

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: June 13, 2010 01:24

What do you expect ? The guy who made this thing was in diapers when Exile was released. Typical Hollywood made for TV documentary. Not for the discerning fan.thumbs down

Date: June 13, 2010 01:39

but then you would think the stones would proof read it so to speak wouldnt you?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 13, 2010 06:00

melillo
its kind of insulting to be honest

exactly.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 13, 2010 12:31

Are there diffrent versions of the 'Stones in Exile' DVD on the market?
I'm asking as Amazon says in it's discription running time is 151 min.
While the backcover of my copy states 145 min.
???

Posted by: skl127 ()
Date: June 13, 2010 12:35

Anybody know what exactly is on this DVD that takes up a running time of 145/151 minutes besides the documentary that was aired on TV?

Cheers

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 13, 2010 13:38

Hairball
Mick mistakenly mentioned the same thing about Apocalypse being released around the time of Exile in a recent (French?) interview. confused smiley
I guess through the haze of all the drugs, several years of that era are a bit blurry.

Apocalypse Now always had such a strong associate with the late 70s and the post Vietnam era that for someone not to catch that error is kind of bizarre. Exile and Apocalypse are from such different societal time periods when you compare the early 1970s to the late 1970s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-13 13:42 by mckalk.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 13, 2010 19:35

I's much prefer to watch exile than soccor any day

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 13, 2010 19:54

mckalk
Hairball

Apocalypse Now always had such a strong associate with the late 70s and the post Vietnam era that for someone not to catch that error is kind of bizarre. Exile and Apocalypse are from such different societal time periods when you compare the early 1970s to the late 1970s

I agree there's a huge difference. I saw Apocalypse Now when it came out, and it is clearly associated with the late '70's for a variety of reasons.
As for me personally, in the early '70's I was a pre-teen, and in the mid-late '70's I was a full-fledged teen...the difference is like night and day.
From a pre-teen 'teeny bopper' to a snot-nosed rebellious teenager...the difference is undeniable.

STONES IN EXILE - JUST PURCHASED THE OFFICIAL DVD
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: June 14, 2010 06:43

Howdy all,

Sitting here in New Zealand, I realised our time zone gives us a tasty advantage, so i've just snuck out of work early at 3pm, and on my way home, a 400m walk thru the central city of Auckland, I've been to JB HiFi, theres a plug, and purchased the newly stocked "Stones In Exile" for $24.99 NZD about $16 USD.

So I'm 12 minutes in and i'm comparing the official version to the one screened on Jimmy Fallon on the 15th of last month, which was about 45mins long.

So many differences to the TV edit. i'm at 15mins and it's like night and day so far, so much more depth, Charlie, Bill and Mick T recounting the issues of moving and relocation. Keith recollecting the quality of available recording rooms.

This is awesome, i'll update later

28 mins, i'm stunned at the footage, as a student of CS Blues and Ladies & Gentlemen and asorted doco's, the quality is unreal.

I can't wait for the remastered Ladies & Gentlemen which i'm told is a Boxset.

36 mins, Obviously the source footage has been digitized and possibly regraded. Alot of interludes/montage flashes from CS Blues and L&G so far, plus the recollections are wonderfully raw, Keith recollecting "Fat Jacques" the cook junkie habit.....hilarious.

So many studio outtakes of indiscriminate talk are utilised, "Late again Richards"....."I don't envy you when grow up and have to go to work for a living"

Absolute new stone cold Keith classics

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-14 07:18 by SKILLS.

Re: STONES IN EXILE - JUST PURCHASED THE OFFICIAL DVD
Date: June 14, 2010 07:04

Yes, please update. How much footage from CS blues ? Thanks spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 14, 2010 07:26

48 mins in and we've decided to vacate Nellcote, headin to LA. I'll report at the end and summarise

SKILLS
Howdy all,

Sitting here in New Zealand, I realised our time zone gives us a tasty advantage, so i've just snuck out of work early at 3pm, and on my way home, a 400m walk thru the central city of Auckland, I've been to JB HiFi, theres a plug, and purchased the newly stocked "Stones In Exile" for $24.99 NZD about $16 USD.

So I'm 12 minutes in and i'm comparing the official version to the one screened on Jimmy Fallon on the 15th of last month, which was about 45mins long.

So many differences to the TV edit. i'm at 15mins and it's like night and day so far, so much more depth, Charlie, Bill and Mick T recounting the issues of moving and relocation. Keith recollecting the quality of available recording rooms.

28 mins, i'm stunned at the footage, as a student of CS Blues and Ladies & Gentlemen and asorted doco's, the quality is unreal.

36 mins, Obviously the source footage has been digitized and possibly regraded. Alot of interludes/montage flashes from CS Blues and L&G so far, plus the recollections are wonderfully raw, Keith recollecting "Fat Jacques" the cook junkie habit.....hilarious.

So many studio outtakes of indiscriminate talk are utilised, "Late again Richards"....."I don't envy you when grow up and have to go to work for a living"

Date: June 14, 2010 07:55

Ok, the doco is built around photographs from Dominique Tarle and CS Blues, the huge credit to Robert Frank citing CS Blues and photo's highlights the prominence.

The extra's are at a completely different pace, extended interviews with keith and co are like a whole nother doco experience.

The core 60 mins feel like an accompaniment to the album, and the extra's almost like the doco you'd expect.

Two for one in my estimation.....fantastic

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:06

I bought it on Saturday in the warped Helsinki time zone, it's a decent documentary, the CS Blues and 1972 live footage is just there to sub for the non-existing Nellcôte/other making-of-Exile footage. So we get familiar scenes of BK and KR throwing the telly from the balcony, people backstage, snippets of the band on stage and a verse and a chorus of this and that here and there. The interviews are pretty good, boy they look old now (duh!), Bill's looking good, Keith red eyed and more rounded than before. Anita is almost shocking, as is MT with his old alkie's voice. It seems he's playing slide in some shots, probably for the bonus songs since there's a glimpse of Keith recording some parts as well. The funniest part is Mick & Charlie visiting Stargroves and Olympic studios.
There's also some actors portraying the Stones recording in Keith's basement, luckily their faces aren't shown.
I hope they work some digital magic on the 1972 live footage before they release it, but even if they don't, that'll be THE Stones-DVD to get this year.
Stones In Exile is fun, but not essential to a casual fan - so everyone here must buy it! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 14, 2010 08:59

SKILLS..Sounds all good to me mate..I will check out me local music shop this week and get it..cheers mate..smoking smiley

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: June 14, 2010 11:29

Business is running again. In the super deluxe box, we get a dvd and in fact it is only a trailer. On TV, we watched the same and longer but a trailer too. In definitive it is only a promotion for the entire DVD sold in stores. The price of the box is very expensive. When we buy an item like this one, we think to have the complete one. All for money, they take all the cents they find and when they can, they can steal Taylor/wood and others credits and royalties. Bande d'enfoirés.

Date: June 14, 2010 20:11

SKILLS
48 mins in and we've decided to vacate Nellcote, headin to LA. I'll report at the end and summarise

SKILLS
Howdy all,

Where did you read L and G is going to be a box set ?

Date: June 14, 2010 23:55

the L&G box set reference has got me a bit curious to say the least

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: June 17, 2010 18:39

HERE'S THE "HORSES MOUTH" RESPONSE I GOT FROM EAGLE RECORDS WHEN I ASKED IF "STONES IN EXILE" WILL BE RELEASED ON BLU-RAY:

Hi

No, we're not releasing Stones in Exile on Blu-Ray.
The archive footage is simply not of high enough quality to warrant a hi-def release

Thanks

James

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2010 19:52

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got mine from the local store 2 days ago. Great docu, but do yourself a favor and skip the extra feature "Exile Fans". Of course Martin Scorsese, Don Was and Jack White give some good comments, but Caleb Followill, Sheryl Crow and ESPECIALLY some blonde bimbo that I don't know, are bad as a shitload of @#$%&. And Will.i.am sucks a fat one too. Try counting how many times he says "Y'know".

Bitching aside: Great docu. Just great. Best part for me is the pics going while Johns says that when Keith stands up and looks at Charlie, Bill puts his bass to a 45 degree angle, and then they go for it.

JumpingKentFlash

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home