Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Dirty Work
Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:51

why does everyone say that DW is their worst album? It feels like they just judge it by the cover, wich i acctually think is charming. However, I think its one of their best albums! yes I do..
check this:
One Hit (to the body)
a pure masterpiece. Do i have to say more? The ultimte first song for an album or a concert.
Fight
This song has alot of tempo and I love it. It's a shame we never hear this one live.
Harlem Shuffle
Better than the original. It's a cool song
Hold Back
Okey this song ain't the best. It feels like a fantasyless version of One hit to the body, but i like the riff.
Too rude
Probably one of their most coolest songs. You cant stop dig it!!
Winning Ugly
This song is also a masterpiece. All the synth sounds and Bills bass and the female chorus vocals!!
Back To Zero
Okey, this song aint so good. Its slow and I get sleepy of listening to it. Pretty boring, yes!
Dirty Work
Another song in high tempo. This one would sound awsome live. Defenitly one of the best songs theyve done.
Had It With You
The only song on this album that sounds really rock n roll, it brings you back to the old stones stuffs.
Sleep Tonight
A pretty boring ballad with Keef on vox. But this one would really work on a concert.
Key To The Highway
A Cool piano outro, but nothing very important to the album really.

What i want to say is that there are many great songs and its a underrated album. What do you say about it?

Re: Dirty Work
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:57

Dude.

always been a fan of this ablum, but that's not a very popular view 'round here. For me, it's got a lot of good rockin tunes. The production gets slagged off quite a bit but I've nver found it too obtrusive or offensive, definitely worse produced albums from the 80's.The only song on the whole record that I could live without is the cover of Harlem Shuffle, other than that it really hangs well for me. Been listening to it a lot recently driving to work and it's made the drive a whole lot more enjoyable.

But it's a free world. to everyone their own.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:10

One Hit (to the body)
Dreadfull drum sound and a terribly barking Jagger. Nice solo by Jimmy Page, that's all.

Fight
The Stones never got any more stupid than this. If it was an outtake I would be ashamed. Yet, they dared releasing it...

Harlem Shuffle
Decent track, nice bass by Wyman. Liked the '89 and '90 versions.

Hold Back
Just when you think the Stones have reached their all time low with Fight, Hold Back starts...

Too Rude
Boring reggea that never worked, so they added delay and echo in the postmix. By the way, Wood and Richards are the only Stones members on this track, so is it a Stones song?

Winning Ugly
Nice guitar riff by Keith, but all the synth sounds and Bills bass and the female chorus vocals!! What the fvck!

Back To Zero
Next!

Dirty Work
Nice up-tempo, nice guitars, stupid barking by Jagger.

Had It With You
Best track of the album, and in fact one of the best tracks since '78. Original, Shattered type punk rocker, the only track where the bark of Jagger's voice actually adds to the track. Funny that Wood had to wright the best track on a Stones album!

Sleep Tonight
Nice track, nice guitars by Keith. If they ever release it with normal sounding drums it could be a minor classic.

Mathijs

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:14

Winning Ugly is ranked right along with Rock And A Hard Place as possibly one of their worst songs ever for me. The synth sounds, probably Ronnie's noodle bass and the vocals are beyond trite.

It's the antithesis of The Rolling Stones.

Back To Zero isn't any better.

Other than that, it's just an OK album. The production essentially equals the LP cover. Keith must have really been stretching on this one because he stole his own arrangement from the bridge/sax part of Coming Down Again for the main arrangement for Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:14

I'm terminally tired of "One Hit," I think, and I still don't say it's their worst album. It has the most dated sound, which probably counts for a lot to most people, and to me too, but to a lesser degree. And I wouldn't say it has "many" great songs. But it has some great moments, some probably unintentionally hilarious ones, and a group energy--ultimately more of each of these than any of the 4 albums since.

I would also put IORR barely above Dirty Work in the "worst album" sweepstakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-16 17:16 by cc.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:21

ONE HIT (TO THE BODY)
Great guitar work is let down by terrible production, drum sound, and vocals. Live version by Jagger solo and on STEEL WHEELS tour was dreadful.

FIGHT
recycles Woody's guitar break from "Too Tough." Mathijs summed it up nicely above.

HARLEM SHUFFLE
Great groove, the entire band (including Chuck) are in fine form. One of two tracks where they really sound like The Stones. I detested the live arrangement for Mick's solo tour and the STEEL WHEELS tour.

HOLD BACK
good instrumental break toward the end of the track with Ivan Neville on bass can't make up for horrible lyrics, vocals, drum sound, and production.

TOO RUDE
Another highlight and another cover version (I'm sensing a trend here). This is really Keith solo, but its a great tune and a great track.

WINNING UGLY
Not bad at all, though it sounds like Mick solo with Keith as a session man on lead guitar. Better than most tracks on the album.

BACK TO ZERO
No where near as bad as most fans think. A decent funk groove tune. A nice musical companion to "Winning Ugly" and the lyrics are fine with Mick "aping" his "Monkey Man" chatter.

DIRTY WORK
Great guitar work. Better track overall than "One Hit (to the Body)." Among the album's better moments.

HAD IT WITH YOU
Along with "Harlem Shuffle," this is the only other song which sounds like the band is firing on all cylinders. A nice return to their roots.

SLEEP TONIGHT
A great Keith ballad. Again, more of a solo track than a band effort, but the track towers over most Stones songs Keith has sung since the nineties. A real gem.

KEY TO THE HIGHWAY
A nice tribute to Stu with gorgeous feel. Way too short, but very sweet.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:22

I loved it when it was 1st released..I said thank god a hard rocking Rolling Stones Album..

But after a few plays you get kind of tired from it...I do think Keith and Ronnie do their best trying to keep this album alive but the production still makes this album dull and almost lifeless...

The biggest problem is Mick...Unlike every other album the Stones have ever done he is the one who hurts it the most..
He kind of yells through the entire album...Not really singing...I also think the words to many of the songs are so dark and down that after you play it you want to go off and shoot yourself....The Stones albums usually make you want and go shoot someone else...ha..Fires you up and makes you feel better about yourself. Not this album..

Anyway I think looking back on it the album it was as good as anything on the market...The punk thing was still big at the time but fading away....

Sadly i think it ranks at the very bottom of the Stones albums.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 16, 2009 18:02

didn't like it when it came out, but over repeated listenings through the years i gradually grew to loathe it....

Date: December 16, 2009 18:42

T&a---VERY FUNNY..I was wondering where you were going with it!! ha...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 16, 2009 19:56

skipstone
Winning Ugly is ranked right along with Rock And A Hard Place as possibly one of their worst songs ever for me. The synth sounds, probably Ronnie's noodle bass and the vocals are beyond trite.

It's the antithesis of The Rolling Stones.

Now to think of, all of those deep 80's lost albums all have the same pattern: the b-side (vinyls, people, vinyls, it was vinyls then!) start with an anti-thesis Rolling Stones song: "Too Much Blood", "Winning Ugly", "Rock And A Hard Place"... Maybe their place would have been better in a Jagger solo record?

- Doxa

Date: December 16, 2009 20:15

Ha ha. Of those three, Too Much Blood is probably the most interesting. But it just doesn't come off as a Rolling Stones song does it? It reeks of being a song Mick wrote for She's The Boss but because lyrically it would have wound up being way out of context for his album he decided, Wal, why noht put it ohn thiss one then? It's already a bloody gruesome album innit.

And so it is.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:18

I agree with all of the bad critics above, yet, I love the album. I was 17 going to 18 when it came out. Soundtrack to lots of parties. Good memories. But even now I listen to it quite regularly. Once again, I can't explain why, but I like it.

DW is an ugly but very sexy lady!

C

Date: December 16, 2009 20:30

liddas
DW is an ugly but very sexy lady!

C

You cannot much argue with Olga, now can you?

- Doxa

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:39

I remember buying it on CD the day it came out, taking it home and being utterly disappointed. Loved One Hit, did not get where Harlem Shuffle fit in the record...liked Sleep Tonite despite the over-production. Too Rude was not a bad attempt at reggae. But songs like Fight, Hold Back, Winning Ugly and Dirty Work (to me) represent their laziest songwriting and playing. To me, the record sounds it was something thrown together to appease a record company contract. We all know that Tattoo You was thrown together from multiple sessions. I am wondering if Dirty Work is somewhat the same....only they ran out of good canned material, and Mick put together some poorly written filler.

The lowest of all Stones records. Emotional Rescue had some crappy tracks, but Dirty Work blew it away. It was the first time I ever thought: the Stones need to retire.

Date: December 16, 2009 20:48

I never did understand how H.Shuffle ever fit in the album either... I always believed they needed a filler and added it to the album.
Never liked it...

Date: December 16, 2009 20:49

And yet to listen to what they didn't include on the album, finished or not, is astounding. It could have been so much better.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:49

buffalo7478
The lowest of all Stones records. Emotional Rescue had some crappy tracks, but Dirty Work blew it away. It was the first time I ever thought: the Stones need to retire.

I think you can say at that time they were semi-retired.
They were going through their 40'ies depression - like most men do yawning smiley)) - specially for high profiled frontmen like Jagger and similar - they want to be "for ever young".

Interesting though - the chang to worse CD's started when Chuck Leavell began - any connection?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2009 20:54

>
why does everyone say that DW is their worst album?

because they have two good ears and due to the fact that it probably is. Certainly in the bottom two or three.

> It feels like they just judge it by the cover,

Hardly. If thats the case, I guess most people dont care much for Let It Bleed.

> wich i acctually think is charming. However, I think its one of their best albums! yes I do..
check this:
One Hit (to the body)
a pure masterpiece. Do i have to say more? The ultimte first song for an album or a concert.

I think with respect you might need to consider the definition of 'masterpiece' and 'ultimate'. Good enough song, made better than it is by Jimmy Page's soloing. 'Ultimate' album or concert opener? A bit of a stretch there, considering the competition.

Fight
This song has alot of tempo and I love it. It's a shame we never hear this one live.

Good riff, horrible growling vocal and an appalling drum sound.

>Harlem Shuffle
Better than the original.

No it isn't.

>It's a cool song

Its solid enough, nothing overly special

Hold Back
Okey this song ain't the best. It feels like a fantasyless version of One hit to the body, but i like the riff.

There's a riff? Probably the most tuneless thing the Stones have ever recorded. Vile.

Too rude
Probably one of their most coolest songs. You cant stop dig it!!

A bit of an exaggeration to say it's 'one of their coolest songs', no? Its a solid enough cover, though.

>Winning Ugly
This song is also a masterpiece. All the synth sounds and Bills bass and the female chorus vocals!!

Please tell me you're taking the piss here.drinking smiley 'Gimme Shelter' is a 'masterpiece'. 'Winning Ugly' is turgid.

>Back To Zero
Okey, this song aint so good. Its slow and I get sleepy of listening to it. Pretty boring, yes!

You're a bit kind, but not far off the mark, Pelle!

>Dirty Work
Another song in high tempo. This one would sound awsome live. Defenitly one of the best songs theyve done.

Only if you've heard next to nothing of the rest of their back catalogue.

>Had It With You
The only song on this album that sounds really rock n roll, it brings you back to the old stones stuffs.

A throwaway.

>Sleep Tonight
A pretty boring ballad with Keef on vox. But this one would really work on a concert.

Can't agree on either point. Doubt it would work well live, but it's probably the best song on the album for me.

>Key To The Highway

Actually, its VERY important to the album. You're aware why its on there in the first place?

>What i want to say is that there are many great songs and its a underrated album. What do you say about it?

Only one song (Sleep Tonight) is worthy of the Stones, some are solid but unspectacular and about half of it is substandard. Jagger was never more disinterested, never sang worse, the band were never more polarised and on several songs they're bringing in a coterie of extra musicians to cover up the fact that they hate each other's guts, the production is horrid and it's the worst mixed Stones album ever (the outtakes sound far better). Apart from all that, there's nothing wrong with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-16 20:59 by Gazza.

Date: December 16, 2009 20:58

Gazza

>Key To The Highway

Actually, its VERY important to the album. You're aware why its on there in the first place?

The most memorable and touching thing in the whole album, actually.

- Doxa

Date: December 16, 2009 21:01

answer to Gazza about Key to the highway

YES I know its important, but i was talking about the material on the record,, not the meaning of em..

----------

Seems like noone really likes this one.. Well compared to their other albums, yes its not that good.. But i dont understand why everyone is against it.. There are many nice songs on this one, though it as a stones record may suck

Date: December 16, 2009 21:02

hot stuff
Anyway I think looking back on it the album it was as good as anything on the market...The punk thing was still big at the time but fading away....

Punk was still big in 1986?? Where?

Date: December 16, 2009 21:06

oh also forgot to say...
the meaning of me taking this album up is because noone says anything good about it and i think its worth a little bit of credits. Because i like the album as a record ,, but i agree about what you other say, IF im talking about it as a stones record

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-16 21:06 by Pelle.

Posted by: the_word ()
Date: December 16, 2009 21:10

Underrated and unduly criticised... quite frankly it is better than Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge in my opinion...

Date: December 16, 2009 21:27

Gazza---Sorry, I should have said that by 1986 punk was dead.. The release of Undercover and Dirty Works REMINDED me of Punk style..
I liked a lot of punk music back then (1979--1984) but was not really into these albums by the Stones..
I did think that they copied a lot from the punk style of music for these 2 albums.

Date: December 16, 2009 21:40

Pelle
answer to Gazza about Key to the highway

YES I know its important, but i was talking about the material on the record,, not the meaning of em..

----------

Seems like noone really likes this one.. Well compared to their other albums, yes its not that good.. But i dont understand why everyone is against it.. There are many nice songs on this one, though it as a stones record may suck

Thats the key, Pelle. Its just a bad Stones album. We have high standards!

Date: December 16, 2009 21:42

hot stuff
Gazza---Sorry, I should have said that by 1986 punk was dead.. The release of Undercover and Dirty Works REMINDED me of Punk style..
I liked a lot of punk music back then (1979--1984) but was not really into these albums by the Stones..
I did think that they copied a lot from the punk style of music for these 2 albums.

They certainly copied a lot of that style on Some Girls and Emotional Rescue (much to Stu's dismay!). There's certainly a lot of punk-style angst and vitriol on Undercover and DW if thats what you're referring to.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 16, 2009 21:44

A great number from Undercover to do live would be "Must be Hell" - doing it on the b-stage. It's realted to now (lot's of unemployed) and it is a good song that can get in to a longer jam with great guitar solos.
Wished Stones were more proactive, having the courage to play songs like that. It needs some practice before going onstage, but that's what life is all about - things don't always come easy.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: December 16, 2009 21:48

dirtywork is an embarrasment.

i always promote the stones, god only knows how many people ive converted to them, but i would never let anyone hear this album when discussing how good the stones are. i wouldnt want anyone to think i listen to this crap.

jagger barks through the album as if he is desperate to make it sound energetic, yet with exile he glides through it effortlessly in most parts.

most of the songs are badly written aswell.

the stones always appeared to be an intelligent band who thought a lot about the songs they produced, but this album gives the opposite impression.

Date: December 16, 2009 21:49

'It Must Be Hell' would be pretty good - yeah. Although personally I'd prefer it's earlier incarnation, 'Soul Survivor'. Pretty much the same riff, no?

Date: December 16, 2009 21:50

Gazza, Thank you....THATS what i was trying to say. ha...

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1678
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home