Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Brenda Lee quite a rocker - who knew?!
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 19, 2009 02:04

I searched and Googled "Brenda Lee" to see whether this was already covered on iorr but didn't find anything. Still, apologies if this is an old topic.

I always thought Brenda Lee was synonymous with syrupy violins and ballads like "I'm Sorry" (which I like nonetheless for some reason). Another unfathomable inclusion in the RRHOF.

But last night I discovered Brenda Lee was an early rocker (like rock-a-billy + country + roots R&cool smiley. She has great timing - she's soulful, raw and just hip as hell - the real deal! I'm wondering whether the record company sweetened her up to make her more commercially appealing. Wonder what would've happened if she kept going in this direction? Maybe she would've been an earlier Janis Joplin type?

Did you know that she had this side to her?

These clips are of her between age 12 and 14 (good thing Bill wasn't around in those days, tho apparently she was a friend of Jerry Lee Lewis winking smiley ) The first clip has some interesting commentary by her about what it was like being a rock n roll pioneer.

Re: OT: Brenda Lee quite a rocker - who knew?!
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 19, 2009 02:53

Just to get this one on topic (I found this site when looking for Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree for the Christmas songs thread)

[www.theboot.com]

As a young (make that very young) girl, Brenda Lee made television appearances along such legends as Steve Allen and Ed Sullivan before she was even in her teens. And she was headlining shows in Las Vegas before she could even drive. Taylor Swift, LeAnn Rimes and Tanya Tucker are just a few of the young women who owe a debt of gratitude to 'Little Miss Dynamite' for paving the way -- and blowing the doors wide-open with her one-of-a-kind powerhouse voice.

During a recent visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, Brenda, who just turned 65, reflected on her amazing career by sharing with a group of visitors a number of rare film clips capturing her early performances. The singer -- a member of both the Country Music and Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame -- is currently the subject of a museum exhibit detailing her career. With one of her signature songs being 'Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree' -- a perennial favorite and one of the best-selling holiday songs of all-time -- it was the perfect time to visit and reminisce.

In addition to watching and listening to herself mature on the screen as each clip was introduced, Brenda talked about her close friendship with the late Marty Robbins, who was involved with her husband, Ronnie, in several business ventures. Brenda noted that every Friday night they would have a Mexican food night together.

She also talked about her associations with early rock acts including Elvis Presley, the Beatles (who were her opening act on an early European tour) and the Rolling Stones, especially Keith Richards, who still listens to Brenda's 1960 smash, 'Sweet Nothin's' on his iPod before every show.

When it comes to Brenda's signature 'do, the singer says Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn still have great "hillbilly hair" but few of the current crop of country artists can measure up. "Carrie Underwood's got potential. She keeps inching up a little bit at a time. And Taylor's got a lot to work with. She could be at number one on the hairdo list! But I think Dolly and I are carrying that banner." After a contemplative pause, the sharp-as-ever Brenda added, "Oh, and Marty Stuart!"

"Brenda Lee: Dynamite" is open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum through June 2010.

Now personally I'm not sure whether Keith owns an iPod (doesn't seem in character to me) but it's a nice idea:

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 19, 2009 03:24

anybody know who played the sax solo in 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree'?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 19, 2009 03:26

Ah Brenda Lee, makes me think of Radar Love:

The radio's playing some forgotten song
Brenda Lee's "Coming on Strong"
The road's got me hypnotized
And I'm speeding into a new sunrise

Date: December 19, 2009 03:39

duke richardson
anybody know who played the sax solo in 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree'?

Boots Randolph.

"Boots Randolph was the first to ever play sax on recordings with Elvis, and the only one to ever play solo with him, in addition to recording on the soundtracks for eight of his movies. Crazybootsbl.jpg (20062 bytes)Boots also played on such diverse recordings as Roy Orbison's "Oh, Pretty Woman", Al Hirt's "Java", REO Speedwagon's "Little Queenie", and Brenda Lee's "Rockin' 'Round The Christmas Tree". In fact, he has a 30-year history of playing on records with her, including "I Want To Be Wanted" and "I'm Sorry". An array of other artists who have added the Yakety Sax touch to their recordings include Chet Atkins, Buddy Holly, Floyd Cramer, Alabama, Johnny Cash, Richie Cole, Pete Fountain, Tommy Newsom, and Doc Severinsen."

Date: December 19, 2009 03:44

Green Lady
Just to get this one on topic (I found this site when looking for Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree for the Christmas songs thread)

She also talked about her associations with early rock acts including Elvis Presley, the Beatles (who were her opening act on an early European tour) and the Rolling Stones, especially Keith Richards, who still listens to Brenda's 1960 smash, 'Sweet Nothin's' on his iPod before every show.

Now personally I'm not sure whether Keith owns an iPod (doesn't seem in character to me) but it's a nice idea

great story, Green Lady -- thanks for posting and bringing things On Topic!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home