Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paris, Olympia - Four Flicks Revisited
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 25, 2009 01:56

Okay, so I just moved into a new house and hooked up my surround sound in the basement last night. I wanted to give it a test run and was digging thru a box of dvd's and came across Four Flicks. It occurred to me that I had not played it at least 2 and possibly 3 years (hard to believe, right?). Anyway, threw it on (mainly just to get a feel for the surround sound) and was totally blow away from the first notes. I ended up planting myself on the couch and watching the whole thing (getting a much-needed rest of from unpacking while at it). So I had almost forgotten what a smoking performance this was! Easily my favorite Stones dvd. Even Keith and Ronnie were better than I had remembered. Charlie was perfrect of course, and Mick was totally in top form. He was mugging and prancing and singing but it didn't come off as forced as it tends to when he's on camera. Keith's guitar playing was starting to show some of the signs of its current wear and tear, but he was still pretty on.

I just love the atmosphere of this show - the audience seemed to be loving every minute of it, and the band seemed to really be having a great time. My favorite moments are 'Neighbors', 'Love Train', 'JJ Flash', 'Honky Tonk Women' (surprisingly!), and a damned breathtaking version of 'That's how Strong..."

Thoughts anyone?

Re: Paris, Olympia - Four Flicks Revisited
Posted by: Cindy, ()
Date: November 25, 2009 02:03

almost every show sounds the same now.rolling stones is a repeating thing now.that was once different.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 25, 2009 02:58

Give them a break, they gave us 20 good years of innovation.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 25, 2009 03:08

The first half is pretty perfect. "Stray Cat Blues" "Neighbors" "Worried About You"...too good. Charlie is featured nicely throughout the performance. His dialogue during the band intros is priceless!

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: November 25, 2009 03:14

I love the Olympia performance. The size of the venue makes a huge difference (even when watching on the computer!). I am dying to see the Stones in a venue like this. Highlights were an amazing Stray Cat Blues, Worried About You, Live With Me, and of course, That's How Strong. Needless to say, Mick is the man, and everyone on stage was probably thinking that too. Just watch:

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 25, 2009 03:46

The Olympia Cd is really good!! Like others have experienced, I was blown away by "It's how strong by little love is" the first time I saw it. Mick is on fire on that one. Was Jerry Hall in the room that night?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: November 25, 2009 09:32

I remember that gig like it was yesterday. That was the best gig ever. They absolutely rocked. Ronnies solo in Hand Of Fate a bit shakey but hey still wonderful. Keith prowled the stage like a Tiger. That weekend was so hot and I mean temp wise, absolutely roasting. Met Blondie and Bernard in George V before the show. Met my good friends Joelle and Eric and had probably one of the best weekends of my life. So yeah that DVD brings back great memories.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2009 10:14

Best Stones gig of the modern age.

Date: November 25, 2009 10:30

Wasn't that the show where Ronnie was so wasted and Mick was pissed off, rushing thru the songs? I like the setlist, but personally I find the MSG-show better on 4Flicks.

Posted by: lickedlady1966 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 10:46

Best week of my Stones life. A whole week in a wonderful city, three shows, Bercy, Stade de France and finally Olympia - my one and only "club"show. Best weather you can imagine (good for me, though not for everyone).
Great memories!! Thanks for recalling.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 11:29

For me it's also the best official Stones DVD. I like the whole Four Flicks DVD Box. The Olympia DVD reminds me always of the Club show in Utrecht, which was the best show in my life.
Would love to see them again in such a small venue.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 25, 2009 13:02

Don't know if the Olympia gig was their best of the club shows they did that tour. What I've
heard from Stockholm (circus) was really great too.
Anyway, it's a pity they've chosen not to continue to play more intimate shows after
the Licks Tour. Good thing we still got the Four Flicks.
Thank you for bringing it up again. It's been too long since I've last watched it.
Will do it again soon now.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 25, 2009 13:04

JMoisica
I love the Olympia performance. The size of the venue makes a huge difference (even when watching on the computer!). I am dying to see the Stones in a venue like this. Highlights were an amazing Stray Cat Blues, Worried About You, Live With Me, and of course, That's How Strong. Needless to say, Mick is the man, and everyone on stage was probably thinking that too. Just watch:

2:11 - a classic rock pose!!!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: November 25, 2009 15:55

What a great show, I was watching it last week 3 times,I wish they would do more clubs show on the next tou.r

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 25, 2009 17:45

do not pronounce Olympia 2003 !
I was in there in 95 but for the 2003 show I forgave the idea and had accepted a week end in south of France. In fact a @#$%& boring week end.
regrets

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 25, 2009 17:53

JMoisica

I love that one ,but as far as I know ,the performance of this song at the Roseland Ballroom was the greatest ,Mick had totally loosed control on this number .Unfortunately for me I wasn't there ,but listening to the audio ,one can hear the audience reaction .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: November 25, 2009 18:34

The Olympia and indeed all of the club shows were great.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 25, 2009 22:58

So how many people on here were there I wonder? I'd have given anything to have been. Last night I decided to watch Twickenham off the FF dvd. It's good in places, but completely pales in comparison to the Paris show. I do think the MSG show was excellent too - I remember when it aired on HBO I thought it was one of the best modern Stones gigs I had ever seen. But I still don't think it matches the intensity of the Olympia gig - that is just the best modern gig I have seen IMO.

To DandelionPowderman, I have heard people remark that Ronnie seemed out of it for the first half of the show but then sprang to life in the second half, starting around 'Before They Make Me Run'. Could this be what you're talking about?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:03

for me the audience affects my opinion of which show was best and and since at olympia and stockholm circus i had men who were feeling me up and/or forcing an arm on the rail from behind me (and essentially hugging me), i can't say either were favorites. people pushed and shoved so much in stockholm i almost had security pull me out. though i have fond memories of both cities and waiting in line before each show (including sleeping on the sidewalk in paris to make up for getting up so early to line up). and bercy was great.

aragon and wiltern were my best club experiences on that tour.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:53

......the energy on 4 Flicks is captured beautifully...the Licks tour was great.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 27, 2009 04:54

I'll have to give it a spin Imposter after your review as I've not watched it pretty much since it was released. Just remember think "oh dear" when Keith strolled out and played the opening of SMU very unconvincingly. Or am I confusing this with something else?

Anyway Sire you've inspired me with your review and it shall be viewed on the morrow....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 28, 2009 00:16

I love the Olympia show. One of the best modern day gigs. The other is 1995 in Amsterdam. Great set Foot tappers and Wheel SHunters boot is awesome!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: November 28, 2009 13:34

I was at twickenham, MSG and Olympia. Perhaps should put 4 Flicks on my CV.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home