Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 97
Re: OT WORLD CUP 2010 in South Africa - the IORR thread
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 28, 2010 12:29

NICOS
Still 5 hours to go

Cannot stand the tension anymore confused smiley

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 28, 2010 14:07

Sure the netherlands will win, as I said above--I wanna see Germany Vs. Netherlands in the final

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 28, 2010 14:14

Havo
Sure the netherlands will win, as I said above--I wanna see Germany Vs. Netherlands in the final

Can we beat Argentina, Havo? That's the big question. They will want revenge for 2006 and have a great team of stars. We have a great young team full of fire and passion. Should be an even better match than yesterday. (Ich musste meine Klappe halten weil ich in England wohne aber es war richtig schon das Spiel in eine Englische Kneipe zu sehen).

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 28, 2010 14:27

liddas
Great game yesterday between England and Germany.

It was one of those games like Brazil Italy in 82: England was not bad at all, probably it is even a stronger team, but Germany played one hell of a match and just every (well, almost every) shot to goal was a goal.

The 3-1 goal killed the game. At that point, England had more than one occasion to score the equalizer, and, more important was taking control of the game. That is how things go in football: in Italy we say, missed goal, suffered goal (if that makes sense in English).

Technology: NO WAY!

These discussions are what make football unique. Off side yes or no, goal yes or no. Corrupted refs, refs that need an eye check and all. It always have been like this. As the English say, this IS a gentlemen's sport played by beasts anyway (sorry for the non exact quote)! Mistakes, bad acting etc. this is real life.

Italy in 2006 won the cup after deserving to be kicked out by Australia (completely invented penalty and Totti nominated at the Oscars for best actor in a leading role ...). In 1994 Italy lost the final and probably deserved the final win.

C

You mention all the reasons why a beautiful sport like footbal is ruined constantly. Such odd sentiments don't exist when it concerns all other sports, like athletics, basketball, base ball, speed skating, volleyball, swimming etc. etc. This way of conservative thinking is something from the 19th century: false romantic. If you like the diving, the cheating, the blind refs, the outdated rules (off side) etc, then you better go to the theatre: much more and better drama. As for the discussions: there are none. We can see it all on our tellies. England scored a goal, it was half a meter behind the line and Argentina's first goal was off side: one whole meter. Just saw it on my tv, just like you. No 'interesting' discussion, only shame and two ruined matches. At least, I didn't enjoy them anymore after those 'dramatic' and 'romantic' moments. Two great matches on paper, two big disappointments in reality. Thanks to conservatism and outdated rules. Thank you very kindly, FIFA bobo's.

Date: June 28, 2010 14:55

Silver Dagger
(Ich musste meine Klappe halten weil ich in England wohne aber es war richtig schon das Spiel in eine Englische Kneipe zu sehen).

Hättest du Schadenfreude, SD?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:01

Amsterdamned
NICOS
Still 5 hours to go

Cannot stand the tension anymore confused smiley

Still 2 hours to go

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:31

liddas
Great game yesterday between England and Germany.

It was one of those games like Brazil Italy in 82: England was not bad at all, probably it is even a stronger team, but Germany played one hell of a match and just every (well, almost every) shot to goal was a goal.

Oh man, you MUST be joking ???

We were pants for about 85% of the game. The Germans could've been 3 or 4 up before we even got started. We defended like school kids for the first 2 goals and were made to look stupid.

Granted, we battled back and got it back to 2-1 and then the 'goal' that never was happened. If that had been given and it had become 2-2 who knows what would've happened ?

But it didnt and Germany battered us with two more excellent goals as we drifted back out of the game

This world cup has confirmed what a LOT of fellow Englishmen think. We just arent very good. You can blame the manager all you like, claim he's not English so can't be the right man of the job etc etc. Its all bullshit

Its the PLAYERS that arent very good. They may look top class week in week out for their respective clubs playing alongside many foreign stars, but once they put that England shirt on they turn to shit.

If Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A Cole, Terry, James, Upson, Johnson, Barry, Heskey etc can look at themselves in the mirror and tell themselves they have given their all this tournament .... then they're bare faced liars!

@#$%& the lot of em. Time for a clearout and a new start with young, hungry players

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:41

liddas

These discussions are what make football unique. Off side yes or no, goal yes or no. Corrupted refs, refs that need an eye check and all. It always have been like this. As the English say, this IS a gentlemen's sport played by beasts anyway (sorry for the non exact quote)! Mistakes, bad acting etc. this is real life.

next time your team loses that way maybe you'll feel differently.

If you prefer the above romanticised scenarioes to fairness and progress then there's no hope.

fact is that bad decisions that have no way of being corrected can mean the difference between success and failure - which in this sport can mean tens of millions of pounds in lost revenue in many cases.

Technology has improved countless other major sports - rugby, cricket, American football, tennis, hockey. To keep one's head in the sand and ignore its benefits in the biggest and most lucrative sport of all is tantamount to wanting to remain in the dark ages.

Yep, its unique all right. It makes the sport look like a corrupt joke.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:51

@liddas
technology : YES WAY
as soon as possible !
wrong decisions by referee can and now they DO change and determine outcome of the match !
real shame for england...and i'm not saying this is the reason that england lost...but it would be different game in any way

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:54

andy js

Oh man, you MUST be joking ???

We were pants for about 85% of the game. The Germans could've been 3 or 4 up before we even got started. We defended like school kids for the first 2 goals and were made to look stupid.

Granted, we battled back and got it back to 2-1 and then the 'goal' that never was happened. If that had been given and it had become 2-2 who knows what would've happened ?

But it didnt and Germany battered us with two more excellent goals as we drifted back out of the game

This world cup has confirmed what a LOT of fellow Englishmen think. We just arent very good. You can blame the manager all you like, claim he's not English so can't be the right man of the job etc etc. Its all bullshit

Its the PLAYERS that arent very good. They may look top class week in week out for their respective clubs playing alongside many foreign stars, but once they put that England shirt on they turn to shit.

If Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, A Cole, Terry, James, Upson, Johnson, Barry, Heskey etc can look at themselves in the mirror and tell themselves they have given their all this tournament .... then they're bare faced liars!

@#$%& the lot of em. Time for a clearout and a new start with young, hungry players

No, I am not joking: that was my impression. Probably its a matter of perspective: Italy being kicked out by New Zealand, Sloavkia and Paraguay sets the standard of BAD performance. Germany is a "slightly" more consistant team ...

In any case, it is true that England defended very badly. But there are excuses (mainly injuries), of course, plus England traditionally has a hard time defending against fast players like the Germans.

I think that England lost the game at midfield. There our Mr. Capello made some technical mistakes: I don't think that lampard and gerrard can play efficiently together. But it is hard to leave one out, I guess.

C

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 28, 2010 15:54

And Hup Hup naar het Hoolhoes in Meerssen

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 16:07

for the moment, there was no big surprise in this tournament
I'm afraid it's gonna happen for the game Netherlands-Slovakia
I see Slovakia win in the penalties session
It's going to be terrific for Netherlands

Date: June 28, 2010 16:28

kleermaker
Silver Dagger
(Ich musste meine Klappe halten weil ich in England wohne aber es war richtig schon das Spiel in eine Englische Kneipe zu sehen).

Hättest du Schadenfreude, SD?

I guess like anybody I'm happy when my team wins, that's all.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 28, 2010 16:29

Max'sKansasCity
Hup Holland Hup!

Dankjewel Max smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 28, 2010 16:31

-------------------

Date: June 28, 2010 16:33

Rolling Hansie

Pretty nice Hup caps there. Hup-2-3-4.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 28, 2010 16:41

Jagger to be present on Brazil - Chile according to the brazilian press.

[www.earthtimes.org]

Date: June 28, 2010 16:44

Rolling Hansie
Max'sKansasCity
Hup Holland Hup!

Dankjewel Max smiling smiley

Thanks Max, I wish you a very nice game!

Date: June 28, 2010 16:57

3 minutes yet, NICOS!

Date: June 28, 2010 16:57

3 minutes yet, NICOS and Amsterdamned!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:04

Funnily enough Lampards 'goal' highlighted the reason that i've always been unsure about goaline technology in that Germany went straight down the other end and nearly scored themselves,so at what point do you stop play and wait for even just a second or two to get a final decision.Football doesn't have a second or two to wait unless the ball goes out of play.

Anyway,i'm not surprised by what happened yesterday.This was the weakest squad we had sent to a tournament since Euro 1992,full of players who didn't do it 4 years ago backed up by others who just aren't good enough,and there isn't much coming through in the next few years.Add in Capellos ridiculous inflexibility in his tactics and you get what we saw yesterday and for the last month really.

Germany were excellent,very impressed

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:07

What a gift for Argentina from italian referees... after yesterday ,argentinian governement will refund italian investors ruined from argentinian stock market.
But anyway, i really hope argenitna will win the cup, I didn't like the way the soccer establishment considered maradona as a coach and i love argentinian people.
Forza Argentina!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:25

Gazza
liddas

next time your team loses that way maybe you'll feel differently.

If you prefer the above romanticised scenarioes to fairness and progress then there's no hope.

fact is that bad decisions that have no way of being corrected can mean the difference between success and failure - which in this sport can mean tens of millions of pounds in lost revenue in many cases.

Technology has improved countless other major sports - rugby, cricket, American football, tennis, hockey. To keep one's head in the sand and ignore its benefits in the biggest and most lucrative sport of all is tantamount to wanting to remain in the dark ages.

Yep, its unique all right. It makes the sport look like a corrupt joke.

Look, I am 42 years old. My first season ticket for Milan was in 1979. For almost 20 years I've seen (at the stadium) almost all home games, and a large percentage of the away games. In between, cups, national cups, world cups, you name it. I've even seen two second divison seasons, an an infamous Mitropa cup win. Since I got married, I was forced to give up most games at the stadium (I now see "live" not more than 10/15 games a year). Thank god we have the pay TV now (its not the same thing, but who cares).

That said, can you imagine HOW MANY times I've seen Milan loose because of a bad decision? And all the times the usual debate, we should have more referees, chips in the ball, TV evidence ... At the end of the day I ask my self, would this make it a better game? I am convinced it won't.

It's not a matter of more fairness. In all these years of football I don't know if I have seen more than 10 goals not seen or non goals that were considered goals (curiously 2 between England yesterday and Italy two days before).

I think that the true problem is to have referees that actually know their job. That know who is acting and who is not acting. That don't wan't to put theirs stamp on the game (the bad habit of our Collina). That don't interrupt the game. That know what is sporty and what not.

Players adapt to the referees. If they know they are allowed to play games, they will. Unfortunately the level of referees is very low. When the referee is good, you may even see an off side not given or a non due penalty given, but nobody will complain.

Only my "romantic" opinio, though ...

C

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:34

A bit late,congrats to Gerñany

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:36

i agree with you liddas, i am a milan supporter too and i went a lot of time to san siro. tecnology would be welcome, but at the end we never like to consider the mistakes of the players (like the mexican osorio yesterday) because soccer players cost a lot of money and they don't have to lose their value. it is easier to be upset with referees or coaches (they get paid very well even for this reason, because they can get fired and they usually take the fault for everything). this is my point of view: players make mistakes ( a lot ), referees and coaches too , but only the last two pay the cost for their mistakes, becasuse it is easier. anyway...forza milan..

Date: June 28, 2010 17:50

Half time and 1-0 to Holland. Strong show so far. I'm sure they will win it.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:52

to read Milan supporters complain about referee mistakes against their own team is really.... funny
More funny in a series of posts about Rosetti and his companion Airoldi
I am a Fiorentina supporter and the above mentioned couple made a "funny" decision not exactly against Milan the last time Milan played in Florence...
Did you remember Liddas?

In fact I think that the more powerful is one supporter's team is, the more romantic that supporter is likely to be... winking smiley

meanwhile Slovakia's defenders lost Robben's left side turn...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-28 17:58 by maumau.

Date: June 28, 2010 17:54

Yellow card for Robben because of hands ball. Is it because I am Dutch that I find this ridiculous ???

-------------------

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:57

andrea66
i agree with you liddas, i am a milan supporter too and i went a lot of time to san siro. tecnology would be welcome, but at the end we never like to consider the mistakes of the players (like the mexican osorio yesterday) because soccer players cost a lot of money and they don't have to lose their value. it is easier to be upset with referees or coaches (they get paid very well even for this reason, because they can get fired and they usually take the fault for everything). this is my point of view: players make mistakes ( a lot ), referees and coaches too , but only the last two pay the cost for their mistakes, becasuse it is easier. anyway...forza milan..

Oddly enough - I'm not blaming the referees. They're human. Most of them. I'd just like to see what is already a difficult job made a bit easier - especially as the technology is there to do it. Seems a wasted opportunity to ignore it.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: June 28, 2010 17:57

Rolling Hansie
Yellow card for Robben because of hands ball. Is it because I am Dutch that I find this ridiculous ???

You seemed to like French style. Is called football, you know. LOL

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 97

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home