Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 11, 2020 18:50

d by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: July 11, 2020 01:26

OpenG
I thought all the rage? Has JP on in addition to Scarlet

Never heard that, but could be. Sounds like Taylor, though.

DP - you are correct when I watched the trailer release video they put All The rage and Scarlet under Jimmy Page name and I thought JP played on both songs.

Criss Cross I do not hear MT just Keith on guitars and MT on bass? if he is on the song. Jaggers vocals on remix on Silver Train sounds awesome.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:27

Doesn't Mick say "Jimmy Page is all the rage" on the Love You Live version of "Star, Star"?

Here's another clue for you all........

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2020 19:34

Elmo Lewis
Doesn't Mick say "Jimmy Page is all the rage" on the Love You Live version of "Star, Star"?

Here's another clue for you all........

HA HA! I think you're right!

Date: July 11, 2020 20:04

On the reissues in the MT era - They had a world class guitarist in MT and they use Eric Clapton on BS, and now JP comes to save the day on Scarlet and again Eric Clapton on Blue and Lonesome. I wish they would just find stuff that the band members contributed for those periods.

Date: July 11, 2020 20:46

OpenG
On the reissues in the MT era - They had a world class guitarist in MT and they use Eric Clapton on BS, and now JP comes to save the day on Scarlet and again Eric Clapton on Blue and Lonesome. I wish they would just find stuff that the band members contributed for those periods.

Scarlet was a Keith/Jimmy-song. Never intended for the Stones, as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 22:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: massmick ()
Date: July 11, 2020 21:10

I believe Scarlet is song #9 titled Dancing In The Light on The Lost Sessions Vol 1 Sweet Black Angel Empress Valley Supreme disc. It is an instrumental there. That's what my ears say.
Also on a bunch more including Trident demos.
Supposed from Nov 72 Electra Studios LA along with Potted Shrimp, Alladins Story and Leather Jacket.
IMOP
Play it up against the snippet at 0:31 of the GHS reissue promo ad and tell me what you think.
Edit: and I know it's on Exile reissue...but those notes are the same

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-11 21:54 by massmick.

Date: July 11, 2020 21:53

Kind of sad for fans that MT does not make the cut on Brown Sugar for the official
studio releaseconfused smiley and Eric Clapton is on BS for the reissue release of SF. MT only on outtakes on BS.

Protecting the contributions of all band members for all periods not something
the glimmers were in to - Compare that to JP and he was 100% into protecting the legacy of Led Zep.

Find stuff that the original band members played not dream guitar guests. The stones do enough of that live on the road when they have all the guest players helping to sell tickets or whatever.

Date: July 11, 2020 22:35

massmick
I believe Scarlet is song #9 titled Dancing In The Light on The Lost Sessions Vol 1 Sweet Black Angel Empress Valley Supreme disc. It is an instrumental there. That's what my ears say.
Supposed from Nov 72 Electra Studios LA along with Potted Shrimp, Alladins Story and Leather Jacket.
IMOP
Play it up against the snippet at 0:31 of the GHS reissue promo ad and tell me what you think.

Dancing In The Light was released on the Exile bonus cd.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 11, 2020 22:42

OpenG

OpenG

DP - you are correct when I watched the trailer release video they put All The rage and Scarlet under Jimmy Page name and I thought JP played on both songs.

Criss Cross I do not hear MT just Keith on guitars and MT on bass? if he is on the song. Jaggers vocals on remix on Silver Train sounds awesome.
I always thought the wah wahpedal is Taylor,but some people say it’s Preston .But thought Preston is playing the clavinet here.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 11, 2020 23:28

DandelionPowderman
massmick
IMOP

Dancing In The Light was released on the Exile bonus cd.

...and supposedly recorded back in the spring of 1970 according to Nico Zentgraf's site, while Scarlet dates to 1974.

Date: July 11, 2020 23:41

Date: July 11, 2020 23:50

Taylor1
OpenG

OpenG

I always thought the wah wahpedal is Taylor,but some people say it’s Preston .But thought Preston is playing the clavinet here.

It's definitely Preston's clavinet with a wah wah (like on Heartbreaker).

Date: July 11, 2020 23:56

massmick
[iorr.org]

Nothing about Scarlet or Dancing In The Light there?

Those sessions were mixing sessions, I believe.

Date: July 12, 2020 00:18

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
OpenG

OpenG

You are wrong. Check out Time is On Our Side website, Track Talk . Keith is quoted in 1973 when the song came out as follows:''Heartbreaker has Billy Preston on keybords, MICK TAYLOR ON WAH WAH, and me on bass.''

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 00:19 by Taylor1.

Date: July 12, 2020 00:42

"Thx midnrambler,

I just found out that the stones went end of november 1972 (after the 23rd of november, since they recorded a lot of goaths head soup songs in Kingston) to LA. End of November the stones flew to LA to prepare the tour in the far east.

When they were in LA, they Jammed in the Electra studio's and produced high quality experimental recordings with Mick Taylor and Nicky Hopkins. Amongst the recordings, were 'Travellin Man', 'Leather Jacket', 'Potted Shrimps' and a later version of 'Blood Red Wine', which reminds of winter.

the question now is, what is the bootleg that corresponds with it?

Like your support on this!

urban Wheel

'Doo doo doo Heartbreaker'"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-01 10:43 by Urban Wheel.

This quote is from that thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 00:43 by massmick.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2020 00:46

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
OpenG

OpenG

You are wrong. Check out Time is On Our Side website, Track Talk . Keith is quoted in 1973 when the song came out as follows:''Heartbreaker has Billy Preston on keybords, MICK TAYLOR ON WAH WAH, and me on bass.''

Mick T was all over the wah-wah, wouldn't he? Through The Lonely Nights, Heartbreaker, 100 Years Ago, Coming Down Again. Quite a few I think. But I always figured it was Taylor on the wah on Criss Cross.

Date: July 12, 2020 00:49

I guess I'm just trying to make excuses for my ears. It really is just a tiny blurb...but they went right to DITL in a heartbeat. It would be nice to actually see parts of these guys lives that isnt stored as data somewhere...
Rock on!

Date: July 12, 2020 04:28

It’s funny that Keith often bad mouths Led Zeppelin,but is friends with Page.Also,a lot of fans think the IORR album is one of the Stones’ weaker ones,but Page said complimentary things about it when it came out.John Lennon also said it was great at the time of its’ release.Page has always been complementary of the Stones, while Keith badmouths his band,particularly Plant.Page also said that Brian, who he worked with on the Degree of Murder soundtrack, was a great musician

Date: July 12, 2020 08:43

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1
OpenG

OpenG

I'm not wrong.

Look at the credits above that wrong Keith-quote. 'Billy Preston: clavinet' Preston even starts it off. It's on 100 Years Ago Taylor plays wah wah.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2020 09:33

Could be some very subtle use of the wah wah in Taylor's main solo on Heartbreaker (as if he has it completely stepped down on), as well as the lead towards the end...

Date: July 12, 2020 10:20

massmick

Not saying Zentgraf's database is 100% correct, but there is no mention of them even having been at Elektra Studios in LA in 1972 and no mention of "Potted Shrimp" "Aladdin Story" or "Leather Jacket" recorded that year.

Potted Shrimp is dated earlier, 1970, while Aladdin Story is mentioned in 1969. Leather Jacket is from 1970 as well. All at Olympic Sound Studios.

Elektra Studios was used to finish Let It Bleed in 1969.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 10:27 by Topi.

Date: July 12, 2020 11:26

There is only one guitar on Heartbreaker (Taylor's guitar). That is not the instrument that kicks it off with a wah wah (Preston's clavinet. Today, it's Chuck's 'Casio').

It's shocking if Keith believed it was Taylor on wah wah. Most likely, he's mixing it up with 100 Years Ago.

The wah wah on CDA and CYHTM is Keith.

Date: July 12, 2020 11:31

The only source that actually has them at Elektra in November of 1972 is Stephen Davis' book:

[www.amazon.com]

A sample of the Spanish translation can be seen here:

[books.google.com]

(Saying the same thing as that 2008 thread linked by massmick).

However, I haven't found any other source which would corroborate this info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 11:39 by Topi.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 12, 2020 11:40

The snippet of Scarlet has new Jagger vocals.....

And the wah on Criss Cross is a clavinet, not a guitar wah. Taylor playes bass.

Mathijs

Date: July 12, 2020 13:14

DandelionPowderman
There is only one guitar on Heartbreaker (Taylor's guitar). That is not the instrument that kicks it off with a wah wah (Preston's clavinet. Today, it's Chuck's 'Casio').

It's shocking if Keith believed it was Taylor on wah wah. Most likely, he's mixing it up with 100 Years Ago.

How would he mix them up at the time of Heartbreakers release when he said Taylor played wah wah? It would have been fresh in his mindMaybe he is talking about the guitar solo? Or maybe Taylor was playing the wah wah keyboard? I know he plays percussion on some songs on IORR album, but has he ever been known to play keyboards like Jagger and Keith did at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 13:15 by Taylor1.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 12, 2020 14:00

Hairball
Could be some very subtle use of the wah wah in Taylor's main solo on Heartbreaker (as if he has it completely stepped down on), as well as the lead towards the end...

Yes, this.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 12, 2020 16:26

massmick
I guess I'm just trying to make excuses for my ears. It really is just a tiny blurb...but they went right to DITL in a heartbeat. It would be nice to actually see parts of these guys lives that isnt stored as data somewhere...
Rock on!

Well, actually the similarity between DITL and Scarlet struck me too when I first heard the short clip, but it's the groove, not the exact chord structure from what I could make out from the few seconds.

Date: July 12, 2020 17:33

Agree with retired_dog; very similar but not quite identical. Obviously we need a longer sample.

Date: July 12, 2020 20:27

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman

How would he mix them up at the time of Heartbreakers release when he said Taylor played wah wah? It would have been fresh in his mindMaybe he is talking about the guitar solo? Or maybe Taylor was playing the wah wah keyboard? I know he plays percussion on some songs on IORR album, but has he ever been known to play keyboards like Jagger and Keith did at the time.

Because he has a history of being 'inaccurate'. The clavinet playing style is clearly Preston. There just aren't more instruments on the track.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 12, 2020 20:38

MelBelli
Hairball

Yes, this.

thumbs up

Could have been what Keith was referring to then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-12 20:39 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home