Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546Next
Current Page: 42 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2020 23:53

Yep, Jordy. Strange thing. The vocals sounds to good to be from 2020. So maybe they are from 1976 as you put forward? Or a mix of things?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 30, 2020 00:11

Might be interesting to hear Mick's '76 Brazilian mix...with all those Brazilian musicians involved, it might have a wild and lively Samba vibe going on...

Scarlet is the new Plundered My Soul
Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 01:57

What a joy to listen to this song. Unlike too many Stones songs that sound forced, it’s just an absolute pleasure to hit replay on this one.

Just like Plundered My Soul, it reminds me why I have always loved this band so much.

Thanks, lads, for releasing this little gem.

Re: Scarlet is the new Plundered My Soul
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 02:09

I like Doom and Gloom better than either.I compare them because Doom is one of the most recent Stones songs.I also like Gotta Get a Grip (Kevin Parker mix) better also.PMS is like Tumbling Dice meets Dylan’s You Go Your Way and Ill go Mine

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 30, 2020 03:32

Deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 03:48 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: August 30, 2020 04:25

tomcat2006
What a joy to listen to this song. Unlike too many Stones songs that sound forced, it’s just an absolute pleasure to hit replay on this one.

Just like Plundered My Soul, it reminds me why I have always loved this band so much.

Thanks, lads, for releasing this little gem.

I agree!

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: August 30, 2020 09:39

IMHO Plundered is one of the best Stones songs ever, due to the "Tumblin Dice feeling", background vocals, and also the fantastis lyrics.

Scarlet can in no way be compared to this one.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:28

whatever the quality of both songs is: Plundered is a finished song whil Scarlet is unfinished

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 30, 2020 10:50

Both the WOD and Killers remixes of Scarlet completely destroy the sound of the drums from the original track, a track I don’t care much for in truth as it sounds unfinished, obviously, and not much LIKE The Stones. Too scratchy or something.

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 30, 2020 13:21

Taylor1
PMS is like Tumbling Dice meets Dylan’s You Go Your Way and Ill go Mine

That's a great description! True that the verse melody line resembles that Dylan tune, the same 'hook'. Never realized that before.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 13:23 by Doxa.

Date: August 30, 2020 14:33

So seemingly Mick and Bianca had a few weeks holiday in Brazil (late December 1975-mid January 1976), and according to Nico Zentgraf (great additions lately in his Facebook) lived in the house of Brazilian actress and model Florinda Bolkan (familiar name from many golden era Italian movies) during which that interesting session happened.

This is something I discovered [news.bbc.co.uk] :

According to Rodrigues, Jagger still has possession of a "hidden gem", a song called Scarlet that he recorded in Rio in 1976.

"According to those who took part in the recording, the track has a percussive beat that shows a strong Brazilian influence," said the writer.

"Unfortunately, Jagger took the master tape with him, for it never to be seen again."

Strange that Mick doesn't seem to remember in more detail that exotic session. Namely, it was a rather extraordinary affair at the time, even for him I might guess. Sad if those tapes were lost, as Jagger seems to recall, since that might been a helluva 're-mix'...

Something in me still says that we haven't heard all the story so far. If Mick's tapes from that Brazilian session were lost, from where did the vocals popped up? Could there've been some extra session for the track as well (in which probably Charlie was present)?

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 14:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: Amyl Nitrate ()
Date: August 30, 2020 18:11

Doxa
So seemingly Mick and Bianca had a few weeks holiday in Brazil (late December 1975-mid January 1976), and according to Nico Zentgraf (great additions lately in his Facebook) lived in the house of Brazilian actress and model Florinda Bolkan (familiar name from many golden era Italian movies) during which that interesting session happened.

According to Rodrigues, Jagger still has possession of a "hidden gem", a song called Scarlet that he recorded in Rio in 1976.

"According to those who took part in the recording, the track has a percussive beat that shows a strong Brazilian influence," said the writer.

"Unfortunately, Jagger took the master tape with him, for it never to be seen again."

Strange that Mick doesn't seem to remember in more detail that exotic session. Namely, it was a rather extraordinary affair at the time, even for him I might guess. Sad if those tapes were lost, as Jagger seems to recall, since that might been a helluva 're-mix'...

Something in me still says that we haven't heard all the story so far. If Mick's tapes from that Brazilian session were lost, from where did the vocals popped up? Could there've been some extra session for the track as well (in which probably Charlie was present)?

- Doxa

Great find, Doxa. I did some more searching too and what I found (below) won't be new to you or many others, but I thought it was still worth sharing because I don't think it's been quoted in this thread yet (though it was in two older ones, see Scarlet--MIA??? and Jimmy Page on The Stones (From the 70's)).

What’s this rumor, Jimmy, about a solo album?

PAGE: Chalk that off to Keith Richard’s sense of humor. I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called “Scarlet.” I can’t remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album.

--from The Durable Led Zeppelin (March 13, 1975)

Note the publication date, less than 6 months after the "Scarlet I" recording session and even then Jimmy "can't remember the drummer", but in 2020 Mick says "Jimmy remembers everything". (LOL)

And let's give the drummer his due: Bruce Rowland.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 30, 2020 18:32

Amyl Nitrate
Doxa

- Doxa

Great find, Doxa. I did some more searching too and what I found (below) won't be new to you or many others, but I thought it was still worth sharing because I don't think it's been quoted in this thread yet (though it was in two older ones, see Scarlet--MIA??? and Jimmy Page on The Stones (From the 70's)).

What’s this rumor, Jimmy, about a solo album?

PAGE: Chalk that off to Keith Richard’s sense of humor. I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called “Scarlet.” I can’t remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album.

--from The Durable Led Zeppelin (March 13, 1975)

Note the publication date, less than 6 months after the "Scarlet I" recording session and even then Jimmy "can't remember the drummer", but in 2020 Mick says "Jimmy remembers everything". (LOL)

And let's give the drummer his due: Bruce Rowland.

Very interesting...many thanks to you, Doxa and Jordy
thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 18:34 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 31, 2020 17:25

Ahhh, this was good timing.

This thread is getting interesting again ... better informed.

I was going to say that what we really need is, ofcourse, The Bill Wyman Remix, with him on bass or at least synth. It would be quirkier and possibly a minor hit, like Si Si Je Suis (also Brazil-related and the Obvious B-side).It's all Jagger really wants ( a minor hit).

But I won't t say all that. That which be posted is:-

What is intriguing is the MJ Brazil session.
But what evidence whatsoever is there that it's Scarlet and not some other ' lost gem's of a B&B of Tattoo You out-take?

But great to have some Brazil info. Part explains the Latin feel of B&B itself.

He really loved Bianca I think, btw. Her was one Lucky Man. (Verve reference)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-31 17:33 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: August 31, 2020 17:37

Oh and if you listen to ANY of the B&B Jagger vocals NONE of them are anything like those on the Scarlet(s) we have.

His B&B and Love You Live .....and even to Still Life Vocals are much deeper and harder (liver). Less tight / high like GHS, IORR, this' Scarlet and things he's s trained himself to do now.

Date: August 31, 2020 19:23

Four Stone Walls
Oh and if you listen to ANY of the B&B Jagger vocals NONE of them are anything like those on the Scarlet(s) we have.

His B&B and Love You Live .....and even to Still Life Vocals are much deeper and harder (liver). Less tight / high like GHS, IORR, this' Scarlet and things he's s trained himself to do now.

I - or my ears - agree with you here. By the time this Brazilian session happened, most likely all the vocals for BLACK AND BLUE were done, and like you say Mick's vocals in "Scarlet" reminds me of the voice he had at the time of GHS and IORR or like today. The voice he adapted in BAB was different, 'deeper' or 'harder' a'la "Hot Stuff" and "Hand of Fate" or otherwise way-over-the-top nasalized (is that a word?) and caricature-like interpreted a'la "Memory Motel" and "Melody". There's nothing like that in "Scarlet". Even the 'mature' voice of "Fool To Cry" is different.

- Doxa

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 31, 2020 20:27

Very interesting turn for this thread, thanks

Don't know what to think, Mick's vocals on Scarlet do really baffle

However it makes me think of how much Mick has kept is vocal strength in time and that's really something

hope we can enjoy that soon on the much anticipated new album

Date: September 1, 2020 14:21

His studio vocals for B&B were ok but his live vocals for '76 were getting rough had enough - out of breath etc

Some Girls. Studio ok but following your not great (compare '73).

It was the smoking I think.

'81 and '2 really enough.

At some point he gave up smoking and realised he had to look after his voice - (vocal muscles) his prime asset. (Just as he devoted time and discipline to his body muscles) So that by '88 and '89 etc, hey presto, the man can SING live again

Date: September 1, 2020 14:51

Compare with 1973?

1973 was the start of his 1975-vocals, with shouting instead of singing the rockers. MR, RTJ, SFM, JJF etc. Angie is good, though, but that one was good in 1975/1976 as well.

In 1978 the shouting clicked better with the music, imo.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 1, 2020 22:25

[stonesdata.wordpress.com]

From Marcelo Sonaglioni's page

"CONFIRMED: JAGGER RE-RECORDED ‘SCARLET’ IN BRAZIL IN 1976"

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 1, 2020 22:44

That Paulo Braga is one proud Brazilian...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 1, 2020 23:32

Topi

So the drummer might be Paulo Braga instead of
Bruce Rowland??!!!

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 04:01

"Angel Girl" is fake track

Not the Stones...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2020 05:22

Pre-Scarlet from what it seems. Can't find any info from when it's specifically from. Talks about recording with Ronnie, the upcoming 1975 tour - the Meters...

Date: September 2, 2020 08:09

KRiffhard
Topi

So the drummer might be Paulo Braga instead of
Bruce Rowland??!!!

No, because they used the 1974 drum track.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 08:41

GasLightStreet
Pre-Scarlet from what it seems. Can't find any info from when it's specifically from. Talks about recording with Ronnie, the upcoming 1975 tour - the Meters...

This interview was done 3 days before the recording of Scarlet!!

1st October 1974: UK TV (BBC2) ‘Old Grey Whistle Test’, London. Host: Bob Harris.
- interview with KR

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 2, 2020 08:48

Just listened to the Planet Rock Goats Head Soup Revisited Special. Some great interviews with Mick, Keith and Page!! It also included talk about Scarlet where Paul Sexton, the shows host, said Mick wasn't there the night of the recording and added his vocals the following evening, which would be at Island Studios on October 5th, 1974.

Date: September 2, 2020 14:22

Well THANK YOU Topi.

So now the question is did Mick have Keith's '74 tape and use that. Or did he work from scratch from some previous source ( or from his memory).

In other words, had Keith and he worked on this song together before Keith laid it down in late '74? If they had, then where and when?

And someone above said Keith recorded it in November and most references are October.
Either way, that Keith interview reminds us of his demeanour and condition about the time he recorded it.

Genial and cordial as ever. ( and only ever so slightly stoned!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 14:26 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: September 2, 2020 14:47

Four Stone Walls
Well THANK YOU Topi.

So now the question is did Mick have Keith's '74 tape and use that. Or did he work from scratch from some previous source ( or from his memory).

In other words, had Keith and he worked on this song together before Keith laid it down in late '74? If they had, then where and when?

And someone above said Keith recorded it in November and most references are October.
Either way, that Keith interview reminds us of his demeanour and condition about the time he recorded it.

Genial and cordial as ever. ( and only ever so slightly stoned!)

Page said he and Keith started from scratch with it at the Wick, and that it was great working with Keith on a song from the very beginning. So Mick didn't become involved before the day after, seemingly.

Date: September 2, 2020 14:49

Four Stone Walls, read JordyLicks96's post above.

Apparently, Mick was not there on the first night (October 4, 1974) that Scarlet was recorded in Ronnie's basement, but added his vocals the next day (October 5). I didn't listen to the Planet Rock special yet.

The "November" part means Keith worked on the track (overdubs) in Switzerland in November 1974. Look at the Nico Zentgraf website entry and Jimmy Page's interview: "He [Keith] took the tapes to Switzerland"

Now, Whether Mick had the 1974 tapes with him in 1976 is not known.

Also, it's pretty evident by now that Ronnie was never involved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-02 14:57 by Topi.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546Next
Current Page: 42 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home