Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 15, 2020 18:49

Is it fair to think that if it were not for the Covid-19 situation, we would have had a "Scarlet" with Charlie&Darryl?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 15, 2020 19:12

Hairball
Lol..interesting to see this thread still puttering along, and not surprising that Doxa (drunk again?) has written another useless diatribe aimed at various members here including myself.
I didn't get past the first small paragraph though because I realize it was trollish bait hoping for a reply, but seems clear when certain people don't like the commentary or argument made, they resort to personal attacks.
And then there's the cheerleaders who cannot accept anyone else's opinion, and when they don't like what they read the lash out in typical hate-filled fashion.
Doxa (drunk again?) and the cheerleaders just can't seems to handle any criticism of their heroes - I'd call it childish and pathetic behavior - even psychotic - but then I'd be stooping down to that level.
I try to keep my posts focused on the Stones and their music vs. turning it all in to a soap opera at the kindergarten level, but if and when I'm called out (for simply critiquing the band), I'll no doubt be ready to reply.

Chris Fountain
From a post above:

"Hairball's stuff is especially not just childish but pathetic,"

No offense, but I would have to disagree with this assessment. Actually, his posts are entertaining and the sense of humor is enjoyable. Also he is polite.

Instead of citing folk's names wouldn't it be better just to respond to their posts? Wouldn't that be fair?

Just asking -

Thanks Chris - the feeling is mutual. thumbs up
Some of us know not to take this all too seriously, how to separate our heroes from reality, and how to maintain a civilized conversation w/out turning in to personal attacks.

As for citing names rather than a direct reply to that person, it's called being an absolute coward, and Doxa has been known to write like that.
Whether he realizes or not - it's kindergarten level.

What really surprised me is the accusation that you try to read Keith's mind .. it was not the intent . everyone knows in this forum that the opinions of thought processes of Stones" Sales, Music Writing intent is all opine or editorial in nature .

How can one know if they were not there?

This activity should be exclusive to all and not inclusive even with a dictionary or thesaurus, to write stories, if you know what I mean. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-15 19:17 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2020 19:18

Exactly - some people can't handle a little bit of creative imagination, but when that imagination is based on facts that most of us know, it's closer to the truth than fictional.
Yet here we have Doxa (yes you Doxa) telling us all exactly how it is, how it should be, and how we should act as fans, and if anyone disagrees with his "theories" they are completely wrong and become a target of his irrational rants.

Date: August 15, 2020 19:30

Hairball I have been on this site for 15 years and your stat says 16 years ...

I'm speculating that this forum actually went back to 2003 or 2002? ... I think a good mile post would be the HBO Special, which we knew as a consensus that Thursday night's show at MSG was superior to the broadcast on Friday Night. (Licks Tour) That year was 2004?

Anyway, a lot of folks have come and gone and I cannot recall one incident with ya!! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 15, 2020 19:36

MisterDDDD

Sorry for the edit, but this is such a fantastic analysis.. not only of the different versions but of the rationale/strategy behind them.

"..but a campaign for the Stones."
Indeed.

Thanks. Actually you quoted me perfectly - just took the stuff out that actually had some kind of substantive to say for the thread. The rest of my post was basically taking out of my chest the frustration that reading IORR sometimes does. Especially having spend a week at hospital (finally getting back home yesterday) - that said, listening new Stones stuff through my headphones via mobile while lying in a hospital bed was such a relief, one of the very few pleasures I had there. But reading IORR not...sad smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 15, 2020 19:41

Chris Fountain
Hairball I have been on this site for 15 years and your stat says 16 years ...

I'm speculating that this forum actually went back to 2003 or 2002? ... I think a good mile post would be the HBO Special, which we knew as a consensus that Thursday night's show at MSG was superior to the broadcast on Friday Night. (Licks Tour) That year was 2004?

Anyway, a lot of folks have come and gone and I cannot recall one incident with ya!! thumbs up

Can't recall the exact details, but the IORR forum had a major crash about 16 years ago and all accounts and usernames were wiped clean.
Everyone had a fresh start back then, but I've been here longer than 16 years - can't recall how much longer, but I probably joined at the start of the Licks tour in 2002.

And yes, mutual respect Chris - 16 years and many more...even if the Stones have permanently stopped touring there will always something to discuss.
They've got lots of stuff to rely on to stay in the public eye, including non-Stonesy barrel scrapings such as the one this thread is dedicated to from 1974 and then given a new facelift by Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-15 19:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 15, 2020 19:52

Video clip and this WOD remix both are lame...still like the first Scarlet...

Date: August 15, 2020 19:58

Doxa
MisterDDDD

Sorry for the edit, but this is such a fantastic analysis.. not only of the different versions but of the rationale/strategy behind them.

Indeed.

Thanks. Actually you quoted me perfectly - just took the stuff out that actually had some kind of substantive to say for the thread. The rest of my post was basically taking out of my chest the frustration that reading IORR sometimes does. Especially having spend a week at hospital (finally getting back home yesterday) - that said, listening new Stones stuff through my headphones via mobile while lying in a hospital bed was such a relief, one of the very few pleasures I had there. But reading IORR not...sad smiley

- Doxa

Well there is no one in this forum that does not wish you to get completely well!!!!!

I do not know your medical situation and the tiresome of a Hospital visit and should be discreet.

I think it is understandable for frustration as this pandemic and political craziness as stifled our perspective or analytical views.

No harm is done to anyone - Let's stay uniformed in our discussions as we all have been through this pandemic journey together.

Hey- We might have been the luckiest generation to share the same earth. More on this later... Deserves a thread; Why? to discuss the comparisons of which was the greatest generation!

Get Well!

Respectively -Chris

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:01

the song is OK...a bit sloppy, IMO.

Keith is toasty. Who knows what he thinks? I doubt he'd put his stamp on something he didn't "like" to a certain degree...but, again...he's toasty, so who knows?

Jimmy Page always kind of annoyed me for some reason.

I like Doxa's posts. I like Hairball's posts. A bit too personal by both on this thread, IMO...but, it happens...I've been a dick here sometimes too and others have been dickish to me....it happens...it's the internet.

Overall, IORR is a nice place and we are lucky to have it.

I'm fine w/ it, but I hope the next release is better....that's all I can really say about "Scarlet"

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:02

Chris Fountain
Doxa
MisterDDDD

Indeed.

- Doxa

Well there is no one in this forum that does not wish you to get completely well!!!!!

I do not know your medical situation and the tiresome of a Hospital visit and should be discreet.

I think it is understandable for frustration as this pandemic and political craziness as stifled our perspective or analytical views.

No harm is done to anyone - Let's stay uniformed in our discussions as we all have been through this pandemic journey together.

Hey- We might have been the luckiest generation to share the same earth. More on this later... Deserves a thread; Why? to discuss the comparisons of which was the greatest generation!

Get Well!

Respectively -Chris

"every generation stinks but ours" - Abe Simpson

[yarn.co]

Date: August 15, 2020 20:20

@ Sticky

"every generation stinks but ours" - Abe Simpson

No offense but I disagree. We saw the birth or evolution of Rock-n-Roll before our very eyes.

Not just R & R , but Blues, Rockability through Rap

From dial tone to Smart Phones from simple cars to ones that now have BSM, LKA Rear View Camera.

I could go on... but I speculate that the pandemic will go on for years. A Vaccine would mitigate these thoughts, which would be great.

As a 61 year old i do follow the local school decisions. There is not chaos but indecision on the young folks what do with their kids. And Parents -at least in florida.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:25

Doxa

- Doxa

Sorry to hear and hope that things are on the upswing,
Good news is *one more track coming to hear hopefully from the comforts of home.

*at least.. still curious about that mystery track 12 that appears on some of the listings..

Excited to hear "All The Rage".. not so excited if it creates more of it on the board smileys with beer

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:38

And yeah, I don't have any need to continue this meta-talk any further. I made my point and said all I wanted to say (it's all there, no need for further explanations, justifications or to answer to any accusations or whatever).

But that I need to say that citing names and not replying directly is "coward" was a funny thing to learn. Well, all of my heroes, starting from Aristotle, are cowards then... Hairball and I haven't communicated directly for years, and isn't he proud telling that he never reads my posts? I don't see any rational dialogue between him and me possible, so I don't waste energy in trying to say anything to him directly. But since he writes so much - repeating the same points in every thread again and again, as it looks to me - those are impossible to ignore even if even one tries (and believe me, I've tried). So he will find his name to pop up in some of my posts sometimes, as this is a public place, and the posts here are public acts; anything written here is open to discuss and to be referred. Besides, every time I write, even if its directed to some poster in particular, I always think that my audience is everybody here. And I also read about every post here if I find the thread and topic interesting...

Now, back to "Scarlet".

- Doxa

Date: August 15, 2020 20:42

Nicely put MisterDDDD.smileys with beer

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 15, 2020 20:53

Brothers and sisters - everyone just cool out!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 15, 2020 21:30

Ya wanna all go home or WHAT?

jb

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 15, 2020 21:49

Home os where the Heart is.

Even if it is sometimes on someone else's sleeve.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: August 15, 2020 21:55

How about a three posts per thread rule. Would be a lot less bs on the site.

Date: August 15, 2020 23:11

The self-importance of some people around here (yes you Doxa), along with their odd desire to self appoint themselves as some sort of moderator (yes, you again Doxa),
not to mention their misguided thoughts that they're some wise old sage who knows better than anyone (that's right, Doxa), and then takes so much time and space trying to correct things they perceive as wrong (Doxa)....
Its truly baffling and ridiculous...to think that a rock and roll forum can get some people so worked up...makes you wonder how irrational they are in real life when the topic happens to be politics or religion...some people are simply irrational, and lash out when not everyone thinks the same way they do - it's the cause of violence and wars and the root of evil. They really need to relax, act a bit more rational and civilized, and live and let live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-15 23:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 15, 2020 23:27

rollmops
Is it fair to think that if it were not for the Covid-19 situation, we would have had a "Scarlet" with Charlie&Darryl?
Rockandroll,
Mops

What makes you think that? Why would they completely re-do a 1974 track? Added vocals and touch-ups like maracas are one thing, but the actual track was already there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-15 23:32 by Topi.

Date: August 15, 2020 23:31

PalaisRoyale
How about a three posts per thread rule. Would be a lot less bs on the site.

Might be a good idea, but to be fair, how about a three post per remix rule.
Truth be told, I've lost count how many versions/remixes there are of Scarlet, but each one was different and therefore warranted more posts...
Not sure if if the remix barrage is over yet or not, but looking forward to something completely different, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 15, 2020 23:35

Doxa
The childish behavior by certain folks here amazes me. They take everything the Stones do or relaese being personally targeted at them, and oh man, if the thing doesn't meet expectations (laid by their long prejudiced, conservative one track undertanding of what the Stones should do) they make a shitstorm, and cry like little babies not having gotten the candy one wants. Hairball's stuff is especially not just childish but pathetic, but there is nothing newsworthy there. Well, now how he speaks of what Keith Richards thinks, so maybe that one.

Those who don't things so personally and small-mindly, and are not so full of themselves of their individual taste, might see certain features in the doings of world's greatest rock and roll band in 2020. They keep us surprised (so it is no wonder that some of their moves are shocking to the people who mentally live still in the last century).

The band and their record company is seriously trying to take care of their legacy. That of keeping happy people who got first laid when "Honky Tonk Women", "Angie" or "Miss You" were on the charts is not the only way to do that. Those people are treated with expensive deluxe albums, boxes and whatever. They have the biggest wallet out there, and, as we have seen, they are targeted by not just by the Stones but by any classic artist while this audience still is alive. They are the 'useful idiots', if anyone, of record companies nowadays.

But it would be short-sighted just to milk that, already won, crowd out. They are soon gone. What we are wittnessing at the moment in music industry has been the biggest change since vinyl album took over. For legacy artists as the Stones that really is a huge challenge. Their recent home - and it sounds like that it is their home for good, since the record company in their 2018 renewed deal also control their merchandise - seems to take especially good care of one of their most expensive and valuable artists. They know that tomorrows's income is based on the habits of the costumers, that of online service as far as music is concerned. The most important feature is stood out there, to know that you exist, that you are acknowledged.

The campaign for "Scarlet", a rejected out-take from the past with no any hit potential in today's streaming business, is not just a campaign to make the song known or people to get ready to open up their wallets for GOATS HEAD SOUP deluxe version, but a campaign for the Stones. What is novel here is the variance by which it comes.

The first it was released as the conservative old rock generation in mind, being as authentic as possible, the video especially empahasing the authentic vaults feel of it - something both Jagger and Page were promoting in their interviews. It was like with EXILE, SOME GIRLS and STICKY FINGERS deluxe campaigns - pure nostalgy is enough.

But then they did something different: they released a video with a fresh actor that totally contradicted with the nostalgia. Like they already had done with "Criss Cross". It was clear that they had a totally different target audience in their mind in doing so.

And that was not enough. They came up and released a re-mix version of the song that neither was based on nostalgia or 'historical authenticity' but just done by the leading idea: let it sound as good as it can be not by the standards of 70's but today's rock world, but as any new rock song one could hear in a radio. To hear its goodness one didn't need the glasses of professor of 70's rock music in anthropology, but just dig as it is, with no explanations.

As we have seen these two latest moves clearly escaped the boundaries of imagination of certain deep Stones fanbase. I guess a certain kind of purism is heavily involved among the people like that. Like their legacy - we hear these folks say - is now destroyed by these two moves - and like there any longer doesn't exist the 'original' video or mix - the ones targeted at them. No, they want purism. They want it all. Just me, me, me. Today's pluralism, asking tolerance, is too much for them to stomach.

I don't know. When I am offered a tongue socks, or a box full of whatever kind of books, posters, photos, trillions CDs, the latest show of their 1989 started never-ending-tour, or a 'meet & greet' with the band for 1500 bucks, I don't feel personally offended by these offers. I just feel I am not really a target crowd of that stuff, but there surely are people who are. Neither I am not going cry out that this is 'ridiculous' or 'crap' or 'imbesilic'. I advice anyone so concerned about ridiculousness in regard to just some video or a re-mix by which the Stones are trying to do something out of their safe box, to buy a mirror to see a great example of that. I don't think the biggest rock band in the world do everything just me and my taste in mind. Had they've done, they had died decades ago. And if I had felt offended by not them doing everything the way I want them to do, I would have checked myself out a long time ago (actually many smart people have done that).

Like a kindergarten this place is sometimes. People behaving like spoiled kids. I understand Rocky Dijon's decision way too well. But shit, I miss him.

- Doxa

Great post. Thanks!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 16, 2020 00:02

The whole Scarlet saga reminded me how great a Jimmy Page guitar part can be layered in a song to create nice results. I have stayed away from this thread and spent my free time listening to JP guitar which is a good thing and playing some of his arrangements and thinking if JP played on one stones record which one would I choose. Since JP loved perfect production in the studio I would pick Beggars Banquet to start.thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 16, 2020 00:10

Interesting thought, Doxa, but it's a pointless attempt, imo.
The future is driven by young people, not old people who think they know what young people want.
Years from now perhaps a future generation of young people will dive into the Stones catalog and do something new with it, but it ain't happening now.
These new songs and the remixes make me a bit sad. I think the Stones are over and don't realize it yet. It's barely worth talking about, unless its to say the eulogy.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 16, 2020 00:28

Hairball
The self-importance of some people around here (yes you Doxa), along with their odd desire to self appoint themselves as some sort of moderator (yes, you again Doxa),
not to mention their misguided thoughts that they're some wise old sage who knows better than anyone (that's right, Doxa), and then takes so much time and space trying to correct things they perceive as wrong (Doxa)....
Its truly baffling and ridiculous...to think that a rock and roll forum can get some people so worked up...makes you wonder how irrational they are in real life when the topic happens to be politics or religion...some people are simply irrational, and lash out when not everyone thinks the same way they do - it's the cause of violence and wars and the root of evil. They really need to relax, act a bit more rational and civilized, and live and let live.

Don't let them get to you, Hairball. You have every right to express your opinion. Just as much as anyone else.

Date: August 16, 2020 00:44

Of course Stoneage. thumbs up

Some people act as if you said something bad about their mother or grandmother, when in fact you're talking about Mick Jagger the rock and roll public icon whose been open to criticism for decades based on his profession.
But maybe to some people, and no matter how bizarre this sounds, Mick is as important to them as their mother or grandmother and is worth defending at all costs. Oh well...to each his own...live and let live...thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 16, 2020 01:30

After a couple more listens, I think I like Scarlet better than Criss Cross.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 16, 2020 01:37

peace iorr-ers!

We're all somewhat stressed due to covid. Very understandable and natural. Don't judge to harsly Doxa. We've been waiting so long for something new to surface and then there it was, out of the blue: Living in a ghost town ... everybody happy, but not Universal. It's obvious that many of us had planned to buy (expensive) concert tickets to go and see the Stones, but covid came in the way (not mentioning Mick's surgery and my wife's). The "clever" marketing people from Universal know that there is still much left in our pockets, so here we go ... Scarlet and ... what's next? Something with arse (cool smiley) ... de luxe stuff (well, not unique, because Exile's rebirth was there well before)
For some it's not a happy making thing, for others it adds to the fun of analising more weird Stones stuff.
Come on, it's helps filling up the time until the next concert ... so look at it from the bright side.
Don't forget that our friends, the Beatles fans, have been in this kind of marketing (bit of this and that, new releases of old stuff, etc.) for 5 decades now and ... there will never be a next concert for them (unless they go and see the Stones off course).
Don't spend it all on Universal releases, because the price of the ticket(s) for the next concert wil not be fun. Still worth every cent, because we're talking ... Rolling Stones cool smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:01

drunks n kindergartens .... hhhhhaaaaaaaaa.... thats wild...hick!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 16, 2020 02:32

Everybody needs to believe in something.

I believe I will have another drink.

- WCF

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home