Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Date: August 14, 2020 02:07

Not sped up, only a new beat, organ and lots of reverb.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 14, 2020 02:12

DandelionPowderman

Snippet sounds great! Lovin' (what I've heard) the bass.
Is it me or does Keith's back-up vocals seem more pronounced on this?

Can't wait to hear the whole song..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2020 02:19

Call it what you want - "a new beat"...whatever, sounds ridiculously sped up....seems every bit of vintage heart and soul c. '74 that might have been has been ripped to shreds and annihilated...and not in a good way IMO.
Sounds more and more like a Jagger solo tune...............

Irix

Reminds me of ABBA's "Lay All Your Love On Me" - which Remix had the most beats per minute .... winking smiley

Had to look that tune up and you're right Irix - the similarities are unmistakable, but I think the new Stones remix is even faster?
Maybe DandelionPowdreman will enlighten us all with the answer....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 02:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 14, 2020 02:30

Hairball

Had to look that tune up and you're right Irix - the similarities are unmistakable, but I think the new Stones remix is even faster?

No, I meant the ABBA-Remix itself (not in comparison to the Stones). There was a fast version of "Lay All Your Love On Me". And the joke to the DJ was: "Can you play it even faster?"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2020 02:33

Irix
Hairball

No, I meant the ABBA-Remix itself (not in comparison to the Stones). There was a fast version of "Lay All Your Love On Me". And the joke to the DJ was: "Can you play it even faster?"

Oh jeez...that original version of "Lay All Your Love On Me" was already fast enough...don't think I could handle the faster remix...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 02:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 14, 2020 05:29

quietbeatle
I think they do reggae legit...Keith knows. Too Rude was fantastic too.

Of course they do! To suggest otherwise is quite absurd.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 14, 2020 07:16

First off, they have never even laid down a proper one drop rhythm. Of course they do not play reggae. They play Stones-reggae. Thats not a criticism, its a fact.

jb

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 14, 2020 10:08

Doxa
Dammit! That works! Sounds the most compact song so far...thumbs up

Now I finally hear there the "hit" Don Was has been talking about... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Yeah, this is the one ... my go-to version from now on!

While I still like the ramshackliness of the other versions, they sounded a bit uneven, still demo-like, in fact a bit like "the band playing actually two songs" as some other poster here commented, but this new version finally sounds cohesive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-14 10:24 by retired_dog.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 14, 2020 11:02

I just heard the War on Drugs version. Much as I respect Bruce Rowlands (I think he played with Ronnie Lane?) When I first heard 'Scarlet, the drums sounded to me like a wardrobe repeatedly falling downstairs.

On this WOD remix, with all that crashing and banging removed, I rather enjoy Scarlet as a simple pop tune. The harsh guitar tone still grates on me but this is the first Stones remix that is an improvement on the original IMHO.

Date: August 14, 2020 11:14

Rowlands played in Fairport Convention, no?

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 14, 2020 11:18

Yep. he played with both according to Wikipedia

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 14, 2020 11:22

Damn Good mix .... wish they'd
extended it out and pushed it even
a lil' more inta spaso land at the end ....

But hey its damn fine as it is ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 14, 2020 11:43

Rockman

thumbs up

Date: August 14, 2020 11:57

The only debatable thing are the "fast" drums on "Scarlet, Scarlet ...". The other parts (intro and outro) have been improved compared to original release.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: August 14, 2020 13:22

MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman

Snippet sounds great! Lovin' (what I've heard) the bass.
Is it me or does Keith's back-up vocals seem more pronounced on this?

Can't wait to hear the whole song..

Yes snippet sounds good. But the rest dosen't have this cool bass sound. Sounds more like M. Jagger solo ;-)

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 14, 2020 13:47

Well... Fortunately, this is no Oh-Oh Hard Dub Extended Dance remix, but very close to something that can be considered as elevator music. Guess, youngsters will like it.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 14, 2020 13:48

I hate it. Had to turn it off midway. That drumbeat is imbecilic and totally ruins the feel and soul of the song. Sounds like the sort of crap my 12 year old plays on his keyboard.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 14, 2020 13:55

C'mon...listen and enjoy!!!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 14, 2020 14:07

john lomax
I hate it. Had to turn it off midway. That drumbeat is imbecilic and totally ruins the feel and soul of the song. Sounds like the sort of crap my 12 year old plays on his keyboard.

Well, Stones music always was for young people. Old people listen to Grateful Dead and the like.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 14, 2020 14:40

sticking to the original you tube release and then the Mescal vid release versions....both are really good....the re mix I can live without.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 14, 2020 14:44

I love it. For some reason has a huge David Bowie vibe to me. Can hear him singing to this mix. Or maybe I just need more coffee...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 14, 2020 14:48

KRiffhard
Rockman

thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: August 14, 2020 15:41

john lomax

I'm with you on this one. Overall, Scarlet hasn't really impressed me. It's a good jam, but there's no signature riff really. For me, Charlie's drums do a lot for the feel of the song. Take them away and the song just falls flat. Many, many years ago, I used to have a Casiotone keyboard for basic drum rhythms on my home recordings. These drums reminded me of that...

I'm a life long Stones fan, and I really dig a lot of their remixes, but, imho, this one............kinda sucks.

Date: August 14, 2020 16:04

JohnnySnapps
john lomax

I'm with you on this one. Overall, Scarlet hasn't really impressed me. It's a good jam, but there's no signature riff really. For me, Charlie's drums do a lot for the feel of the song. Take them away and the song just falls flat. Many, many years ago, I used to have a Casiotone keyboard for basic drum rhythms on my home recordings. These drums reminded me of that...

I'm a life long Stones fan, and I really dig a lot of their remixes, but, imho, this one............kinda sucks.

Charlie doesn't play on Scarlet, Bruce Rowlands did.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: August 14, 2020 17:05

Crap!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 14, 2020 17:05

jbwelda
First off, they have never even laid down a proper one drop rhythm. Of course they do not play reggae. They play Stones-reggae. Thats not a criticism, its a fact.

jb

Okay, expert. For one thing, reggae is more about feeling, style, offbeat rhythm & percussion, which the Stones have mastered quite well. And another is that it is just as much about social commentary/politics or sometimes just about feeling good or in the mood. Stones handle that quite well too.

But, I'm no expert, don't go by me...

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: August 14, 2020 17:25

Two different The War On Drugs Remixes - not it gets confusing:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

N

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2020 17:41

NeddieFlanders
Two different The War On Drugs Remixes - not it gets confusing:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

N

Yeah, at least edited differently. The second one has an outro that has vocals mixed much lower in the mix and doesn't fade away, but ends up with a drum track.

But why confusing? Nice to have variants. I find it interesting.

- Doxa

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 14, 2020 17:51

JohnnySnapps
john lomax

I was not very happy with the confused drums of that session guy.
If you would remove Bills bass and Charlies drums, I would go with you.
But in this case nothing is destroyed.
The bass-guy constantly playing like a lead guitar sucked as well.
Now it's cleaned and as always a matter of taste.
I like it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 14, 2020 18:09

DandelionPowderman
Like it thumbs up

Yeah.
Me too!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home