Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 11, 2020 05:11

jbwelda
Its your brain on drugs are doing it.

jb

What you tried to say....smileys with beer

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 11, 2020 05:16

I am hoping that next week we will get the “Oh Oh Hard Dub Dirty Hands Perfecto Chris Kmsey’s 12 inch Rock Radio Remix Edit!!!!!”

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: August 11, 2020 07:15

Hairball
Maindefender
iTunes: 3:48
Mescal: 3:32 (presong is closer to :17)

According to quietbeatle, the itunes and video are one in the same..."the iTunes/video version is 3:48 and this says 3:35".
So subtract 17 seconds of dialogue from the itunes/video version, and it's down to 3:31 which is quite close to 3:35.
Chances are they could be the same as that website claims (the video is indeed the War on Drugs version), or they could be entirely different...guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yep. Wait and see I guess. Seems too convoluted at this point to make a guess.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 11, 2020 09:15

jbwelda
B sides appear to be obsolete for the Stones.

jb

Aren’t they for every act and artist, though? I would imagine a B-Side is more of a novelty-thing, these days. It shouldn’t be, the day’s when you’d flip a 45 over, or press for track 2 on a CD-single are long over, sadly. IMO, Oasis were the last act to really put an effort into the B-Side.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: August 11, 2020 10:33

Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
iTunes: 3:48
Mescal: 3:32 (presong is closer to :17)

According to quietbeatle, the itunes and video are one in the same..."the iTunes/video version is 3:48 and this says 3:35".
So subtract 17 seconds of dialogue from the itunes/video version, and it's down to 3:31 which is quite close to 3:35.
Chances are they could be the same as that website claims (the video is indeed the War on Drugs version), or they could be entirely different...guess we'll have to wait and see.

Just listened to the Mescal vid, and it’s another version for sure, another layer of nice guitar work added. I’m sold HB, or at least I will be this Friday...lol

There's three versions of Scarlet currently circulating:

The album version: 3.45

The Single Mix: 3.45 (with additional ad-lib vocals in the end part of the song)

The radio edit 3.26 (the one played by MJ on BBC and used in the Mescal-video), shortened and with some different ad libs.

I'm sure the The War On Drugs Remix will be a fourth version. We'll see/hear on Friday.

N

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 11, 2020 11:10

Date: August 11, 2020 11:19

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 11, 2020 14:24

I just heard the tune and I like it , versus the video which a guy jumping around acting goofy doesn't do it for me . So Jimmy Page played on this track ? must have been buried really low or barely inaudible in the mix . Not that means anything . Sounds like keith on lead .

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 15:21

I never heard of War on Drugs.I thought it was a joke on Keith and Page’s heroin useat the timewhen it was referred to asthe War on Drugs mix.

Date: August 11, 2020 15:52

TheGreek
I just heard the tune and I like it , versus the video which a guy jumping around acting goofy doesn't do it for me . So Jimmy Page played on this track ? must have been buried really low or barely inaudible in the mix . Not that means anything . Sounds like keith on lead .

Page on lead + the riffing guitar in the left channel. Keith's riff guitar in the right channel. Keith's reggae-licks in the left (?) channel towards the end of the track. There are some lead lines that coincide with Page's second solo that sound like Keith, though.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 11, 2020 16:17

War on Drugs is a Philadelphia band with a large worldwide following (for an indie band). I've been onto them for years because of their local origins. They are basically the Adam Granduciel band as he is the main writer and vocalist. Dreamy wailing guitar sounds with soaring productions which I have often called the modern Pink Floyd . . . maybe a little My Morning Jacket.

If this Stones link up is true, it's hard to imagine what they would do with Scarlet which is not really their style.

HBK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 16:36 by HouseBoyKnows.

Date: August 11, 2020 16:19

HouseBoyKnows
War on Drugs is a Philadelphia band with a large worldwide following (for an indie band). I've been onto them for years because of their local origins. They are basically the Adam Garanduciel band as he is the main writer and vocalist. Dreamy wailing guitar sounds with soaring productions which I have often called the modern Pink Floyd . . . maybe a little My Morning Jacket.

If this Stones link up is true, it's hard to imagine what they would do with Scarlet which is not really their style.

HBK

Don't forget that they can sound more like classic Dylan than Bob can nowadays smiling smiley

Not sure if an "indie band" wins Grammies, though (which they did for best rock album in 2018).

Date: August 11, 2020 17:49

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

Page on lead + the riffing guitar in the left channel. Keith's riff guitar in the right channel. Keith's reggae-licks in the left (?) channel towards the end of the track. There are some lead lines that coincide with Page's second solo that sound like Keith, though.
Thank You kindly for the answers as now I will re listen and tune my ears in . Thanks DP .

Date: August 11, 2020 18:19

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

Also , what year was this track done with Jimmy Page and was this after Mick Taylor left ? or if not how does Jimmy Page make it on here / I know that they are all friends and stuff , but I am still curious ? Thanks DP .

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2020 18:48

Taylor1
I never heard of War on Drugs.I thought it was a joke on Keith and Page’s heroin useat the timewhen it was referred to asthe War on Drugs mix.

If they are the best Rock has to offer ( w/a 2018 Best Rock Album Grammy), seems the saying might be true - Rock and roll is a dying breed...
Greta Van Fleet (lol) won in 2019, and the winner for 2020 doesn't really help the cause whatsoever either...Cage the Elephant...[www.youtube.com] ...wtf...

Date: August 11, 2020 19:07

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

Also , what year was this track done with Jimmy Page and was this after Mick Taylor left ? or if not how does Jimmy Page make it on here / I know that they are all friends and stuff , but I am still curious ? Thanks DP .

It was a Keith/Page-session in 1974, with Stu, Rick Grech on bass and Bruce Rowlands on drums. Mick added his vocals in 2020.

This has been 'the holy grail' for Stones fans all these years, as no recording has surfaced - until now smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 19:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2020 19:30

"Holy Grail"....turned out to be a myth, and unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the hype.

NeddieFlanders

There's three versions of Scarlet currently circulating:
The album version: 3.45
The Single Mix: 3.45 (with additional ad-lib vocals in the end part of the song)
The radio edit 3.26 (the one played by MJ on BBC and used in the Mescal-video), shortened and with some different ad libs.
I'm sure the The War On Drugs Remix will be a fourth version. We'll see/hear on Friday.

N

Maybe the next remix will be the winner? Friday can't come soon enough............

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 11, 2020 19:41

Now that it's out you can revisit any time you like. Someone earlier stated it doesn't measure to Plundered, but IMO it exceeds. It's really a Keith song, isn't it? Cool.....>grinning smiley<

Date: August 11, 2020 19:42

SonofHarlemShuffler
Cristiano Radtke
Rolling Stones 'hire Normal People's Paul Mescal to star as a hunky party boy in their new video'... after actor's surprise Emmy nomination

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Better late than never - or is it? Is this track selling?

I repeat: is this track selling? Georgelicks, please help!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2020 19:45

Are we sure Stu is in there? I'll have to listen again, but I just heard a wall of guitars the first couple times.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 11, 2020 19:59

I think it did live up to it's hype - an unreleased track that has been released.

As a single, even.

The video... whatever. The video is stupid. But so are a majority of their videos. Awful, really. My faves are Neighbours, Waiting On A Friend, She Was Hot and Harlem Shuffle. The rest of them suck.

In the big picture, very cool to have something unreleased out now, with Criss Cross and Scarlet. It's a suitable time for them to be digging into the unreleased catalog and flinging things out, whether they're really good (Plundered, No Spare Parts, Signifying, Do You Think I Really Care) or OK or not good (basically all the others).

The disappointment for some is because of expectations. Obviously for others it's a simple 'Nice!' and that's all it really is. Subjective but at times, critically, noticeable (there is no way the blues tracks on the SG deluxe are as good as Fancy Man Blues, Cook Cook Blues and a few others - it's obvious why they weren't released, they're just run throughs, loosening up, run of the mill blues).

Does it give any weight to why they don't put tracks on albums like Criss Cross or various other B-sides that weren't on albums?

Not necessarily. There are so many unfinished tracks that, had they been finished, people might say other wise. But as it's been pointed out, they recorded Start Me Up right after Miss You but the mind set at the time was "disco" so they went with Miss You, which had been worked on prior to the recording so it was more of interest.

Never Stop was just a song idea that got turned into a song later after (enter how many takes Keith said they did here) Kimsey found the good rock take. There's not much to the song, really, it's almost as basic as basic can be, but it's got the riff and the hook, the chorus, so it's a great song.

Not The Way To Go could've been in a similar manner, or Fiji Jim (or Fiji Gin) and Rotten Roll/Munich Hilton and When She Held Me Tight/Misty Roads and a few others here and there over the years - to my ears, all great potential songs, just unfinished but unsuitable at the time. They left some really nice tracks off VOODOO that would've drastically changed the feel of the album for the better, to me, anyway.

Which is really strange in some aspect - there are other songs on SG and ER that are similar in a way in the rock vein of Start Me Up, the more rocking tunes. Respectable is a good one - it's as pedestrian as can be but it had attitude. Meanwhile Start Me Up is sitting on a shelf somewhere. It just didn't have what Mick needed at the time. Some Girls or Never Stop? Obviously he had something to say with Some Girls. Summer Romance or Start Me Up? He had something in mind with Summer Romance, what one might say is the last of the snarly punkish Stones, and it was a bit of a joke it seems that rocks.

Scarlet was obviously just something to do and they (Keith and Jimmy etc) did it and it remained that way, just "something". A one off, obviously. For them it was probably just fun, no anything to do with it, just recording some janky lick with a funky beat and some chick's name.

Look at It's Only Rock'N'Roll - a goof of a song that Mick decided, then, to finish. But it was just something he did with Ronnie. It certainly could've remained on a shelf...

Why did they finish Short And Curlies, a song I happen to like a lot, when they had Living In The Heart Of Love, which is certainly a more interesting song? WHO KNOWS! Short And Curlies fit the time of what was wanted to be said.

That's really all it boils down to, as they say, for better or worse.

This will all be over before we know it. It'll be December in 4 days and we'll still be waiting on a new Stones album and 2 days later it will be 2025 and, ha ha, we'll still be waiting. They have a HUGE catalog. It's very simple and easy to enjoy it.

Date: August 11, 2020 21:45

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

It was a Keith/Page-session in 1974, with Stu, Rick Grech on bass and Bruce Rowlands on drums. Mick added his vocals in 2020.

This has been 'the holy grail' for Stones fans all these years, as no recording has surfaced - until now smiling smiley
Thank You so much for explaining this to me and now I can hear Jimmy Page guitar , which is quite revealing as to how seamlessly he fits in with Keith and dare I say his weaving . I think it would have worked with Jimmy Page playing with the Stones and what a spectacle that would have been and then some .

Date: August 12, 2020 13:30

I am actually quite impressed with Mick's vocal on Scarlet . I would have never thought that his vocals are recent as I really thought his vocals were circa 1974 . I am amazed at what these Rolling Stones can do when they put there minds to it and still hit it out of the park and even surprise me like this ! I also think the pandemic has made them shift gears and produce super high quality tracks like this , even though the instrumental track was done long ago . This still makes me wonder and think what other tricks and treats that the Glimmer Twins have for us at this stage of the game ? On the one hand I am super dumbfounded at how good Jimmy Page fit in with Keith and weaved so seamlessly , and yet at the other hand Jimmy Page is a wizard wonderkund of the studio and it is in his roots or DNA , as he fooled me where I knew it wasn't Mick Taylor and I was like is that Ronnie ? Someone told me Sunday that Jimmy Page was on the track and I would have thought that he was buried in the mix or barely audible playing some drivel ( like on One Hit ) but this one turned me right around and straightened me right out . Now I want to know what Jimmy's studio rig and guitar was and ditto for the Human Riffmaster Keith . If anyone has that info I would appreciate it . If I had to guess for Jimmy Page it had to be a single coil Fender instrument ? Bravo Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Mr. Jimmy Page hot smiley

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: August 12, 2020 15:31

Thought song was ok and it grows on you. After hearing the mix on the video it jumps up to great status for me. And the riffs remind me of It Means A lot, which is one of the many Keith Solo songs that I wish had been Stone songs with Mick singing.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 12, 2020 18:19

Taylor1

Lol yeah ... Scarlet The War on Drugs Mix is definitely a joke. 1974 Page Richards Wood Jagger all high

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 12, 2020 18:56

Still think this song is not a finished song.They should have done much more work in it.This could have been a really great song,but it sounds a bit messy And halffinished.

Date: August 12, 2020 19:04

exhpart
Taylor1

Lol yeah ... Scarlet The War on Drugs Mix is definitely a joke. 1974 Page Richards Wood Jagger all high

It's not a joke. Most likely, Adam Granduciel from The War On Drugs did the mix.

Contemporary, hot artist. Mick seeks a production collaboration or a remix - we've seen that before smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-12 19:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: August 12, 2020 19:40

DandelionPowderman
exhpart
Taylor1

It's not a joke. Most likely, Adam Granduciel from The War On Drugs did the mix.

Contemporary, hot artist. Mick seeks a production collaboration or a remix - we've seen that before smiling smiley

I suppose I should have said it definitely sounds like a joke. Yep agreed Mick likes to stay "relevant"

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 12, 2020 20:11

exhpart
DandelionPowderman
exhpart
Taylor1

I suppose I should have said it definitely sounds like a joke. Yep agreed Mick likes to stay "relevant"

Hard to argue that Mick isn't the driving force behind the collaboration(s), videos, et al (and good on him either way ),
but I also wouldn't be completely shocked to learn that Keith also has had some if not significant input.
Not saying he does, but wouldn't want to minimize his input completely on these remixes and releases.

It was never confirmed as real, and the artist never opened up for them, likely due to tour postponement, but a couple years ago an artist (can't remember their name) posted an (alleged) exchange with Keith on his FB offering him a potential opening spot. I believe it was real, and a glimpse of Keith's active involvement in the process that most would credit/discredit Mick for.

Date: August 12, 2020 20:39

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Keith heard some of War On Drugs's Dylan-esque songs, and liked them.

I suspect, however, that Mick is more interested in their more 'modern' songs, at least production-wise.

It will be exciting. Expect a lot of reverb! smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home