Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 2, 2020 06:01

You might be surprised how few radio stations will allow DJs to play something just because they like it. Even the non commercial stations are going to pre made playlists. Even my friends station in Salt Lake City, KRCL, the long time hippy free form local radio station ("Radio Free Utah") has become mostly automated and although Robert still gets to program his own show, he is one of the few still afforded the privilege and it mostly has to do with how much he raises during the constant beg-a-thons they do. He is one of the top draws for his reggae show.

My point is, if it is being played on real commercial radio, it is because there is a publicity push behind it. That translates to money. I wonder if it is being played on any New York City commercial stations.

Just an observation.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2020 06:09

thats why we are so lucky
3RRR and 3PBS Melbourne ... ya can stream 'em ....

Some amazing shows ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 06:14

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 10:20 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2020 06:27

I understand the automated radio station format these days, and how rare it is to allow a dj to make and play their own playlists. That's why I mentioned the one dj on a local commercial station who still plays Saint of Me and Rain Fall Down occasionally during his show (oddities amidst the classics). He has the freedom to play what he wants for the most part, and while there's still the onslaught of "classic rock", more often than not you'll hear a "deep cut" during his show. The station also airs Little Steven's Garage on Sat, nights, and still has an hour long blues show on Sun. nights, not to mention Breakfast w/The Beatles on Sat. morns, and Breakfast w/Bob on Sun. morns. (yes, breakfast w/ Bob Marley). Again though, as far as I know he hasn't touched Ghost Town, Criss Cross, or Scarlet, but maybe they've been played on the other dj's more standardized shows on the station. And as far as I know, no major L.A. radio stations have played any of them either, or at least I haven't heard them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 06:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:12

At 4:00 in the morning, I put on Scarlet, I'd rat it 4.

Then I took a shower and breakfast, eggs benedicts

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:14

Yep!!! .... ear wax can be a real bummer ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: August 2, 2020 07:54

JordyLicks96
Was gonna try to upload this to my YouTube page but it wont allow me so here's the alternate version (alternate mix and different vocals starting at 2:47) that premiered on The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show. ENJOY!! smileys with beer

[we.tl]

Please don't take this the wrong way but what did you do to the recording? Something must have gone wrong when you made the rip.

Here is a straight transfer from the BBC link Rockman posted.

[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 08:11 by Hillside Blues.

Date: August 2, 2020 10:07

Hillside Blues
JordyLicks96

Please don't take this the wrong way but what did you do to the recording? Something must have gone wrong when you made the rip.

[we.tl]

Definitely not taken the wrong way!! Wasn't aware something had happened!! Thank you for pointing it out! smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-02 10:30 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 2, 2020 10:35

Noticing right now when it shows me the content used for the blocked video on my YT of the alternate mix it says "Scarlet (Single Mix)" which means this version will probably be posted officially to YT soon and will appear on the 7" single.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 2, 2020 12:21

Will the radio mix be one of the two bonus tracks on the digital release? Drives me crazy over the years alternate versions of songs never become officially available.

Date: August 2, 2020 13:22

Is this different than the single on Spotify?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 2, 2020 13:40

harlem shuffle
Totally crap melody with nothing on.Only Keithfan can like this one.Just rubbisch

You can listen "Ob-la-di-ob-la-da".
Nice melody.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 2, 2020 13:46

The verse melody isn't very... er melodic, but the chorus is an earworm, and the bridge soars with tunefulness. Love it!

Date: August 2, 2020 13:53

The chorus is great. I like the bridge, too. The riff and the verse are not very good, imo.

Date: August 2, 2020 14:38

JordyLicks96
Hillside Blues
JordyLicks96

[we.tl]

Definitely not taken the wrong way!! Wasn't aware something had happened!! Thank you for pointing it out! smileys with beer

There's something new: vocals, drum and bass.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 2, 2020 20:24

Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Fantastic! Eggs Benedict tradional recipe? And duration of the shower? Water temperature?

Just curious, you know ... because I want to test if the same trick also works for tracks like Back To Zero or Infamy.

Concerning Scarlet ... well, for me it's one of the best original songs they released in decades. However, I like the radio mix definitely better. I'm all up for ramshackliness, and the Stones were always masters of the art of nearly falling apart, but the YT version sounds a bit too rough in the edges for my taste, indeed more like a demo.

The radio mix with additional guitar licks serves the song much better imo.

Date: August 2, 2020 21:21

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Fantastic! Eggs Benedict tradional recipe? And duration of the shower? Water temperature?

Just curious, you know ... because I want to test if the same trick also works for tracks like Back To Zero or Infamy.

Concerning Scarlet ... well, for me it's one of the best original songs they released in decades. However, I like the radio mix definitely better. I'm all up for ramshackliness, and the Stones were always masters of the art of nearly falling apart, but the YT version sounds a bit too rough in the edges for my taste, indeed more like a demo.

Is the Spotify-version the radio mix?

Date: August 2, 2020 21:32

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

It seems there are different drum and bass too

Date: August 2, 2020 21:52

KRiffhard
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

It seems there are different drum and bass too

Yeah, sounds like it. All in all, it adds to a cohesiveness & flow the YT version misses a bit.

Date: August 2, 2020 22:01

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Well, I don't use Spotify, so you better download the mp3 above from Hillside Blues. But according to Georgelicks recent post, YT and Spotify versions are the same and NOT the radio mix.

I really wonder why they use an overall better mix/version exclusively for radio while the one you can actually buy is inferior (same with Living In A Ghost Town, btw.).

Date: August 2, 2020 22:24

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Well, I don't use Spotify, so you better download the mp3 above from Hillside Blues. But according to Georgelicks recent post, YT and Spotify versions are the same and NOT the radio mix.

I really wonder why they use an overall better mix/version exclusively for radio while the one you can actually buy is inferior (same with Living In A Ghost Town, btw.).

Thanks, I prefer the official Ghost Town single mix, though.

It was the same with D&G, btw - two very different mixes. The GRRR-mix was way inferior, imo.

Date: August 2, 2020 22:35

Wow! That radio-mix is so much 'tidier' than the YT version. I don't know if it's the mix, or there are additional elec guitar parts.

The backup Vox in the bridge seem a little different too.

I'm not too keep on Mick's vocalising at the end of the radio mix

What's the story with putting out two slightly different versions of the same track? Seems rather odd.

Date: August 2, 2020 22:40

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Thanks, I prefer the official Ghost Town single mix, though.

It was the same with D&G, btw - two very different mixes. The GRRR-mix was way inferior, imo.

I think the radio mix for Scarlet is the single mix that'll be on the 7" single. For Ghost Town, I've only heard the radio mix posted on here. I believe the 10" single and the iTunes version are the same. As for D&G, I much prefer the music video version as well. The GRRR version does not have a very good mix at all.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: August 2, 2020 23:11

Rockman
Yep!!! .... ear wax can be a real bummer ....
Huh?...What?...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 2, 2020 23:31

Hillside Blues
JordyLicks96
Was gonna try to upload this to my YouTube page but it wont allow me so here's the alternate version (alternate mix and different vocals starting at 2:47) that premiered on The Zoe Ball Breakfast Show. ENJOY!! smileys with beer

[we.tl]

[we.tl]

Thanks ! The guitar in the left channel sounds completely different than on the Spotify version from what I remember.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 2, 2020 23:57

Who's playing that left-channel guitar on the radio-mix?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 3, 2020 00:06

Hope radio mix is on the album

Date: August 3, 2020 00:08

Strangely, I prefer the vocals on the YT mix - they seem to be a little more buried, Mick mixed down with the ol' Keith.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 3, 2020 02:40

A clean version of the radio mix can be heard here:
[www.rte.ie]

Around the 36:00 mark.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 3, 2020 07:21

retired_dog
Erik_Snow

I'd rate Scarlet 8,3 now

Egg benedict, it's such a pesture to make, but I've made it today as well, as the result is so giving!
Unfortunately it doesn't work on Back To Zero nor on crabby girls

Thanks for the tip, gotta check out the radio mix

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home