Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 30, 2020 04:22

Hairball

First day verdict 7 out of 10 - considering it's a new/old Stones tune, glad to have it...glad to have anything "new"...
I like Criss Cross much more.

Is the 7" single available on it's own, or is the only way to get it is to purchase this bundle?

Haven't had a chance to look around there much, but haven't seen the single alone yet, and that's all I would really want.
If it can only be had via the bundle, what a scam....

What a difference a week makes...
A shame the analyzing it led to such negative revision.

Still glad to have it here... more than Criss Cross.
Think the cream of the crop is still coming though cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2020 05:05

MisterDDDD
Hairball

First day verdict 7 out of 10 - considering it's a new/old Stones tune, glad to have it...glad to have anything "new"...

Is the 7" single available on it's own, or is the only way to get it is to purchase this bundle?

Haven't had a chance to look around there much, but haven't seen the single alone yet, and that's all I would really want.

Interesting that you're keeping track of my posts, my thoughts, and my opinions...flattering, albeit creepy and trollish. However, you failed to notice on the very same day I gave it a 7 out of 10 (based on first listen/impression due to excitement) after six or seven more listens, it immediately dropped down to a "5 at best" on my scale - the very same day! That's how fast I lost interest as it just wasn't doing anything for me.
Since then it's gone down even further - maybe a 3 best, and even if the 7" single was available on it's own, wouldn't be wasting the money - even for collection purposes as it's already on the double cd and double vinyl.
Makes me cherish the superior Criss Cross even more, and while Criss Cross is a clear winner in my book, Scarlet is the clear loser...as the saying goes you can't win 'em all.
Looking forward to what's next...maybe...considering it's their 3rd pick to promote album, not holding my breath with too much excitement...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 05:09 by Hairball.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 30, 2020 07:49

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

Interesting that you're keeping track of my posts, my thoughts, and my opinions...flattering, albeit creepy and trollish. However, you failed to notice on the very same day I gave it a 7 out of 10 (based on first listen/impression due to excitement) after six or seven more listens, it immediately dropped down to a "5 at best" on my scale - the very same day! That's how fast I lost interest as it just wasn't doing anything for me.
Since then it's gone down even further - maybe a 3 best, and even if the 7" single was available on it's own, wouldn't be wasting the money - even for collection purposes as it's already on the double cd and double vinyl.
Makes me cherish the superior Criss Cross even more, and while Criss Cross is a clear winner in my book, Scarlet is the clear loser...as the saying goes you can't win 'em all.
Looking forward to what's next...maybe...considering it's their 3rd pick to promote album, not holding my breath with too much excitement...

Well, as someone who actively seeks the public eye to announce each and every nuance of your thoughts about a newly released tune it shouldn't come as a surprise that you at least get some attention!

The only thing that's still a mystery to this community is if your "3" rating for Scarlet is valid for the whole day or are there differences between morning, afternoon, evening and night? Just curious.

Date: July 30, 2020 08:00

Not sure retired_dog - stay tuned and I'll be sure to keep you updated!
I have a feeling it will be sinking lower as the hours and days pass by, but am hopeful it will stay at a solid 3.
Meanwhile, looking forward to the next barrel scrapings so we can rate, dissect, reevaluate, reappraise, revise, and ultimately give a final judgement when the dust has settled.
If it weren't for members like me discussing and dissecting, this thread would have been dead several days ago. thumbs up

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 30, 2020 16:13

The opening riff is good but it is "garage"style. It does not have the impact of a Start me up or Brown Sugar intro. That is fine,more rootsy&scratchy but less commercial appeal.
The chorus is the best part with a catchy melody and the name Scarlet
t sounds cool.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 18:44 by rollmops.

Date: July 30, 2020 16:31

Hairball

You owe me a new keyboard for that nonsense as I just spewed my morning coffee all over this one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's been an ongoing conversation, son.
That you don't like your own words used to illustrate your hypocrisy and negativity is no surprise. Comical, but not surprising.

Date: July 30, 2020 16:35

Hairball
I have a feeling it will be sinking lower as the hours and days pass by, but am hopeful it will stay at a solid 3.
Meanwhile, looking forward to the next barrel scrapings so we can rate, dissect, reevaluate, reappraise, revise, and ultimately give a final judgement when the dust has settled.
If it weren't for members like me discussing and dissecting, this thread would have been dead several days ago. thumbs up

Due to its self-appointed nature a rather dubious honour, but an honour nonetheless!

Date: July 30, 2020 17:35

MisterDDDD
Hairball

You owe me a new keyboard for that nonsense as I just spewed my morning coffee all over this one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That you don't like your own words used to illustrate your hypocrisy and negativity is no surprise. Comical, but not surprising.

(Not again...please don't call me "son"....eye rolling smiley )

Who said anything about not liking my own words? I stand by everything I've ever written on this site, but don't appreciate when they've been handpicked by someone troll-like and taken out of out of context to illustrate their misunderstanding and misguidance as you have here. Hypocrisy and negativity? Not at all. Surely people are allowed to change their opinions? Upon closer inspection, and more detailed listening? First impressions aren't always the right impressions. You know, you can't judge a book by it's cover...you have to dig a bit deeper to understand the story, the flaws, and/or the positive aspects. And surely we can't expect to consistently love everything released under the Rolling Stones banner. Well, some of us anyways, but you should know all of this already.

But for the sake of positivity, one need go back no further than to Ghost Town and Criss Cross to read the heaps of praise I laid on both of them, and continue to do so to this day! Best two original songs from the Stones in decades - one of them brand new, and one of them dusted off from the archives. Unfortunately Scarlet doesn't fit in that category for me for a variety of reasons, and no matter how much I tried to like it the first day or so (and even beyond), it seems to have had the opposite effect - instead of growing on me it sort of just whimpered along hopelessly. After a week or so my verdict: overhyped, un-Stonesy, and anticlimactic - wish I could say something more positive about it, but that would be untruthful. Even with Jimmy Page on hand (one of my favorite guitar players), it doesn't really go anywhere. Speaking of Jimmy, wondering how much they paid him to be awoken from his hibernation to give his little video spiel - probably the most active he's been since the last time he remastered the Zep catalogue for the tenth time. And he acted pretty well in the publicity video as if it really was a big deal..."acted" being the key word.

Sorry, you can laugh all you want, but no new keyboard for you....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 18:18 by Hairball.

Date: July 30, 2020 17:39

retired_dog
Hairball

Due to its self-appointed nature a rather dubious honour, but an honour nonetheless!

I'll keep writing and contributing thoughts and opinions, while you keep sniffing out those dastardly "Mick - haters".thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 18:10

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball

(Not again...please don't call me "son"....eye rolling smiley )

Who said anything about not liking my own words? I stand by everything I've ever written on this site...

...But for the sake of positivity, one need go back no further than to Ghost Town and Criss Cross to read the heaps of praise I laid on both of them, and continue to do so to this day! Best two original songs from the Stones in decades....

....Unfortunately Criss Cross doesn't fit in that category for me for a variety of reasons, and no matter how much I tried to like it the first day or so (and even beyond), it seems to have had the opposite effect - instead of growing on me it sort of just whimpered along hopelessly. After a week or so my verdict: overhyped, un-Stonesy, and anticlimactic ....

So, in the same post, you heap praise on Criss Cross to this day, but also find it just whimpered along and is anti climactic. It’s one of the best two original Stones song’s in decades, yet its un-Stonsey and over hyped all at once

I’m lost. More time reading your posts before you send them out and less time choosing to have a dig at others might serve you better in having us want to read your important verdicts and self indulgent dissections. It’s just bloody rock and roll.

Rod

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 18:14 by bitusa2012.

Date: July 30, 2020 18:17

Oops sorry Rod - I meant Scarlet just whimpered along....early morning/pre-coffee typo and will edit/fix it.
Criss Cross is fantastic - always has been.

EDIT: Fixed. Interesting you would pay such close attention to my posts considering how you feel about them.
Yeah, it's only rock and roll.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 18:32 by Hairball.

Date: July 30, 2020 18:54

The guy that calls people "creepy and trollish" for citing his recent posts does not like being called "son".

Duly noted, son.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 30, 2020 18:55

What I like most is the self appointed spokesman for "this community".

jb

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 30, 2020 19:08

Hey, be nice to each other...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 19:17 by Stoneage.

Date: July 30, 2020 19:18

Hairball
retired_dog
Hairball

I'll keep writing and contributing thoughts and opinions, while you keep sniffing out those dastardly "Mick - haters".thumbs up

In the end, these are thoughts and opinions too. The fact that it's often more fascinating to reveal the state of mind of certain people who after nearly 60 years still did not come to terms with the fact that a certain Mick Jagger is the lead singer of the Rolling Stones and dream of a jaggerless future of the band than dealing with the pros and cons of finally officially released tracks that are partly known from bootlegs for decades is probably telling for the excitement their release creates in me. Too few, too late...

Still haven't made my mind up concerning Scarlet, but the well-educated human being I am, my self restrait spares you all from ever-changing rating bulletins on a nearly daily basis. I just take myself not serious enough for such a self-exposure.

smileys with beerRe: Scarlet
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:37

Once you accept that much here are thoughts and opinions then just have fun with that. What keeps me coming back are the historical facts and information and knowledge many of the people have on the forum. If you learn something about your favorite band the rolling stones then that's a good thing and not a waste of time.

So Hairball keep on posting its better then to fade away smiling smiley

I would rather just now visit the site and read then contribute because I have nothing really to say anymore about the songs and history of the rolling stones. I just do not want to keep saying the same stuff over and over again somehow differently or from another angle or perspective.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:52

okay now I am hooked on this song. it is stuck on repeat on my phone.

Re: smileys with beerRe: Scarlet
Date: July 30, 2020 22:01

OpenG
Once you accept that much here are thoughts and opinions then just have fun with that. What keeps me coming back are the historical facts and information and knowledge many of the people have on the forum. If you learn something about your favorite band the rolling stones then that's a good thing and not a waste of time.

So Hairball keep on posting its better then to fade away smiling smiley

I would rather just now visit the site and read then contribute because I have nothing really to say anymore about the songs and history of the rolling stones. I just do not want to keep saying the same stuff over and over again somehow differently or from another angle or perspective.

Yeah, no worries - some people get a little uptight and bent out of shape for whatever reason...could be the coronavirus pandemic, the lack of new Stones material, they're bored with their life,
their city is out of control and burning down due to anarchy and riots, and/or they just can't seem to enjoy a simple rock and roll forum and the discussion that ensues - including the good, the bad, and the ugly.
That's OK - some people have it harder than others I suppose, and maybe they'd be happier if everyone agreed with them as one big united cheerleading squad for the Stones - hip, hip, hooray!

Or maybe this nice, heartfelt cover of Scarlet will make them happier:

Sort of gives me a new appreciation of the tune...thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 22:03 by Hairball.

Date: July 30, 2020 22:22

MisterDDDD
The guy that calls people "creepy and trollish" for citing his recent posts does not like being called "son".

Duly noted, son.

grinning smiley

Re: smileys with beerRe: Scarlet
Date: July 30, 2020 22:24

Psychological projection is a defense mechanism in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a bully may project their own feelings of vulnerability onto the target.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-30 22:25 by MisterDDDD.

Date: July 30, 2020 22:35

Oh gee - now we've lowering ourselves to quoting psychoanalysts...emphasis on the psycho....
Why not get an astrologist while you're at it...or a witch doctor....lol........

Date: July 30, 2020 22:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 13:56 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 30, 2020 22:51

I have to say I have now played (and loved) Scarlet far more times that I have Living in a Ghost Town.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2020 23:00

Both great .... play 'em all the time ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 31, 2020 03:41

sometimes engaging sometimes repetitive some over the top some enlghtening, i keep coming to this place to read what people know, think and feel about the stones output (or lack of it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ) and take the time to articulate. hairball is among the most generous and interesting at it, keep them coming thanks smileys with beer

about scarlet, i like the ackward (in stones terms, not zeppelins) intro, good hybrid, then the song shows very much its early stage demo nature and the vocals added sounds a bit like frankenstein stitches to my ears. but i do like the very fact they released it, not asking for brown sugar pt.2 as a 40 years shelved outtake.
criss cross i adore every part of it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 03:57 by maumau.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 31, 2020 08:38

Rockman
Both great .... play 'em all the time ...

...and really loud!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2020 09:28

..... I do ...I do ... LOUD

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 31, 2020 14:11

Rolling Stones 'hire Normal People's Paul Mescal to star as a hunky party boy in their new video'... after actor's surprise Emmy nomination

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: July 31, 2020 15:45

Cristiano Radtke
Rolling Stones 'hire Normal People's Paul Mescal to star as a hunky party boy in their new video'... after actor's surprise Emmy nomination

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Better late than never - or is it? Is this track selling?

Date: July 31, 2020 18:38

"...the Brown Sugar hitmakers... hope Paul's appearance will bring a 'fresh twist' to their image".

Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-31 18:40 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home