Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 24, 2020 17:46

Rockman
okay we can love it together ...... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

any room in there for a threesome?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 24, 2020 18:17

That minor chord progression in many songs and always sounds so good - A to C#Minor to BM to E .

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 19:35

Rockman
...... Well I love it ......

I like having it. Better to, than not to. But...I t’s NOT that flash Rocky. Obviously just a studio jam that doesn’t really go anywhere. Pleasant enough, but just not that great. CrissCross better, no? Honestly now....

Rod

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 24, 2020 20:22

All I know, she's only Scarlet, and I don't really like her.

But, "I'm Going Down" from Metamorphosis, now that's a change, and that's the STONES! smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 24, 2020 21:22

Rip This
just wanted to say about Scarlet....the harmonies...Mick backed by Keith in that 70's way reminds me of another reason why I fell in love with this band....that's one of the x factors to this song.....can't underestimate the power of those 2 voices together and the sound they make.....vintage

But supposedly it's not Keith backing vocals......(see page 6)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2020 21:55

But...It’s NOT that flash Rocky.

Of course its not flash Rodo....
Ramshakle ... ruff ...hacked tagether.......

Who'd ever want The Glimmers to be flash .... lash maybe but not flash

It'll take a little bit longer before it hits in the west ....hhhhaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 22:32

I like Keith’s guitar ,but Pages first solo sounds like Jeff Lynn produced it.It is pretty crappy.Taylor should have overdubbed it before he quit

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 25, 2020 00:35

They knew very well why they did not put out Criss Cross and Scarlet in 1973, to me these songs are uninspired.If people enjoy them, fine - yet, releasing demos, which were recorded decades ago, is not too interesting.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 00:46

windmelody
They knew very well why they did not put out Criss Cross and Scarlet in 1973, to me these songs are uninspired.If people enjoy them, fine - yet, releasing demos, which were recorded decades ago, is not too interesting.

Releasing Scarlet in 1973 would have been very hard...yes, these songs aren't on the same level as most released stuff but I enjoy them. I like the loose und unfinished feel of Scarlet.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 25, 2020 02:29

Not many reviews out yet.. but I agree with the first line from this one..

"Indeed, the song’s lyrics and structure feel incomplete — while not necessarily a lost classic, it is certainly an interesting addition to the canon, although the fact that it was recorded many months after the “Goats Head Soup” sessions concluded makes its inclusion on the deluxe edition of that album a bit chronologically puzzling. The set also includes two other previously unreleased tracks “Criss Cross” (which you can hear here) and “All the Rage,” plus other rarities, outtakes and alternative mixes."
[variety.com]

The lyrics and the structure do feel incomplete, and for are for all the reasons already discussed, ie-they weren't completed at the time.
But what has been done to complete them, makes the "finished" products really really, really, good imo, and in the case of Scarlet, it also captures their sound and vibe at the time excellently. I think had they finished them up around the time, they would have fit very nicely on the eclectic Black & Blue album nicely.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2020 03:31

bitusa2012
treaclefingers
strat72
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. It's like they expect an unreleased song from The Stones to be the next "Paint It Black" and when it isn't, they are disappointed. Thick as mince I tell ya.....

I like the track, and I'm happy that I've got the chance to hear it.

Why would it be considered stupid not to like a song? What a completely stupid thing to say.

I don’t think that’s what strat was saying treacle. I think his “stupid” comment was merely re expectations that an unreleased track, unreleased for a valid reason generally, was ever likely to be as good/great as songs The Stones DID deem worthy of, and did, release back in the day.

OK, fair enough. But I don't think he's correct in his assumption that people have the expectation the 'new release' is going to be the next "Paint It, Black" either.

I like the song, but the vocals/lyrics are uninteresting, for me. Why is he insulting people that aren't raving over the song? It's thick as mince I tell ya.....

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: July 25, 2020 05:13

One thing I notice listening on Apple Music, I pull up the album itself and it only plays the 2 released tracks, so hearing it like that it has the sound of the start of a really great album. Kinda gives a different perspective that way. And sounds really nice to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 05:14 by tumblingdice.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 25, 2020 08:31

we're all very hungry to hear new stones material, old or new, and the way these outtakes are released make some react as if they are new singles of the band and forget that they are what they are: unfinished songs polished and packed to market the reissue. like them or not is a matter of taste of course, to each his or her own. i have always liked very much criss cross and really dig this release, scarlet is a nice thing to hear at last, more as an "archeological" find than as the song in itself, to my ears.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 25, 2020 08:32

Scarlet .... hang with it
It slowly creeps up and gets ya ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 25, 2020 11:04

Scarlet-All The Rage-Criss Cross. Nice little opening trio. How long will 100 years piano demo be? What will the instrumentals bring? The two bonus tracks with Page? Good times from the hazy Crazy mid 70’s

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 25, 2020 15:22

Maindefender
Rip This
just wanted to say about Scarlet....the harmonies...Mick backed by Keith in that 70's way reminds me of another reason why I fell in love with this band....that's one of the x factors to this song.....can't underestimate the power of those 2 voices together and the sound they make.....vintage

no effin way that's not KR on back up vox.

Date: July 25, 2020 16:14

Maindefender
Scarlet-All The Rage-Criss Cross. Nice little opening trio. How long will 100 years piano demo be? What will the instrumentals bring? The two bonus tracks with Page? Good times from the hazy Crazy mid 70’s

thumbs up

Posted by: Benny2 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 16:20

Is possible to get the single scarlet seperate anywhere?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 25, 2020 16:55

Rip This
Maindefender
Rip This

thumbs up

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 25, 2020 17:06

Benny2

Is possible to get the single scarlet seperate anywhere?

You could buy the Bundle - [UK.TheRollingStonesShop.com] , [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com] - and sell the LP (alternative Cover) on eBay. The Single as Download - [www.Qobuz.com] .

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 17:32

I can see why they left it off the post Exile 70s albums but if instead of Scarlet we were hearing Silver Train for the first time or Hide Your Love etc. I’d say the same thing.

Although it seems to have been a Keef and Jimmy project, the lyrics and vocal delivery paint a perfect portrait of the mid-seventies Jagger - ‘Scarlett, why you wearing my heart, on your sleeve, where it ain’t supposed to be…’ It’s so reminiscent of the mawkish love songs he couldn’t stop writing in that period (Till the Next Goodbye, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Fool To Cry etc.) But I love it. Plundered My Soul is a more well-crafted song but the lyrics are clearly post 2000 Jagger (and pretty good lyrics at that for a change) so it’s not authentic 70s Stones – Scarlet is. Less of a song perhaps than a beautiful snapshot but I think I'm gonna treasure this one.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 17:44

Scarlet is good with great guitar from Keith .Criss Cross is better.Has a great groove, perfect for a long summer ride in the Tesla

Date: July 25, 2020 17:47

Taylor1
Scarlet is good with great guitar from Keith .Criss Cross is better.Has a great groove, perfect for a long summer ride in the Tesla

Agree! Goats Head to Black & Blue has a distinguished 70s Stones vibe, these tracks fit nicely!

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 25, 2020 18:14

I still prefer the sound from Criss Cross and Scarlet over their releases since A Bigger Bang up till their latest Living In A Ghost Town. It has so much more feel and warmth, more thickness in the sound. Not in the least the beautiful piano parts.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 25, 2020 20:15

Maindefender

I've been wondering about those two that have been mentioned here a couple of times which are only listed in the digital edition, but seems that might be a mistake listing....?
As far as I know, nowhere has it been mentioned that there are two more Page tracks (that even exist) as far as I know, and other than Scarlet there are no other Page collaborations on the physical releases.
Could be an instrumental version and maybe a different mix of Scarlet to be released digitally...or have I missed something?

Goats Head Soup (Deluxe)- DIGITAL

Date: July 25, 2020 21:30

Hairball

...or have I missed something?

Could be the Japanese Bonus-Tracks - [iorr.org] - at Exile Deluxe (ADTL Alternate) and the 'Shine A Light'-Soundtrack (Undercover) they were also available Digitally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 21:50 by Irix.

Date: July 25, 2020 21:41

MisterDDDD
Rip This
Maindefender
Rip This

thumbs up

Hope so smiling smiley

Date: July 25, 2020 21:43

Taylor1

The last minute of Criss Cross is as tight as it gets, very hot stuff

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 25, 2020 21:43

Irix
Hairball

...or have I missed something?

Could be the Japanese Bonus-Tracks - [iorr.org] - at Exile Deluxe and the 'Shine A Light'-Soundtrack they were also available Digitally.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but in the Amazon link I posted, it specifically says under track listing without any other details:

13 Track 12 [feat. Jimmy Page]
14 Track 11 [feat. Jimmy Page]

While the two you list say:

- 100 Years Ago (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix) *Bonus-Track only for Japanese Edition
- Hide Your Love (Glyn Johns 1973 Mix) *Bonus-Track only for Japanese Edition

So the question is, what are these two additional tracks ft. Jimmy Page? Is it a mistake listing?
As far as I know, there's never been mention by anybody (including Mick and Jimmy) of any other tracks other than Scarlet.

Date: July 25, 2020 21:50

Hairball

Is it a mistake listing?

Looks like, since [Music.Apple.com] doesn't mention Jimmy Page (and Amazon didn't for Track 11,12 before Scarlet). Also, the whole Track-order is currently mixed up on [www.Amazon.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-25 23:20 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home