Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 24, 2020 00:26

Well they sure are using the tape box imagery to full effect.

Keeps me wondering about the stu jimmy and keef notation. Looks more like a note to accompany the song now than it seemed to before, where it looked like another song on the tape possibly.

Is Ian Stewart credited on Scarlet?

Anyway a lot better than I expected. I think the vocal sounds vintage, but there is something about it makes it sound kind of layered on top of the backing track. Sound convincing though, just like everyone says. Glad this will be included with the extra tracks but don't think I would jump through many hoops to get it on 7", especially with no b side.

Does sound like it could have been faded by 3:00.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-24 00:27 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 24, 2020 00:30

Grab it on 7" jb ... other wise you'll be
here in five years swearing you didnt bother to get it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 00:45

TravelinMan
JordyLicks96
Well we know for sure he recently added an acoustic guitar and maracas to the song but the fact the vocals are so hard to tell if they're from '74 or now is simply put amazing. Mick Jagger honestly keeps getting better with age. Can't believe he'll be 77 in 3 days!!

Where did you hear that?

The acoustic guitar sounds different than the rest of the instruments. "Newer" I guess is the best way to put it, much clearer. He's credited with playing acc. guitar on the song and he also stated in the interview he overdubbed maracas as well.

Date: July 24, 2020 01:34

>Grab it on 7" jb ... other wise you'll be
>here in five years swearing you didnt bother to get it

Ain't that the way it always works out!

But I am not buying another copy of the LP to get it with, "exclusive" cover or not.

jb

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 02:03

At a first listen, it's ok. Nice chords. Great riff. Not that much. Fourth listening, with cancellation of center channel to find below the surface, and you can hear vintage Keith singing! At least I her him. Stu on `piano for sure, from 1:21 on clearly. And playing C#minor chord!! Haha.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 02:04

How do the Stones make any money with Scarlet if you can download it for free from the internet

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 24, 2020 02:17

Taylor1
How do the Stones make any money with Scarlet if you can download it for free from the internet

Presumably the "pressings" of the CD singles are in very LOW numbers, perhaps a few thousand?

Date: July 24, 2020 02:56

Hate to be dense, but "CD singles"? Where are they available? All I have seen is the one sided 7" that you have to buy the LP to get, from RS.com

jb

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 24, 2020 03:03

CD singles went the way of Sam Goody

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 24, 2020 03:22

I though I read something about an expensive CD single, my bad.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 24, 2020 03:30

TravelinMan
CD singles went the way of Sam Goody

Living in a Ghostown

Date: July 24, 2020 08:59

Chords are here [tabs.ultimate-guitar.com]

Good song!

Posted by: UKRod ()
Date: July 24, 2020 10:30

I have listened to this track several times and overall, I don't like it. It starts off with a promising instrumental groove, however Mick's vocals just seem to me to be out of step, almost unrelated to this groove and pitched too high. Everything in musical taste is, of course, subjective, but without all Stones present on this recording, I can't in all honesty say this track interests me enough to include it anywhere in my extensive Stones collection. I'll buy the deluxe GHS in September and just about tolerate 'Scarlet' on my way to the real Stones gem of this period: the CD issue of Brussels Affair featuring the great (greater than Page!) Mick Taylor at his peak.

Date: July 24, 2020 11:18

jumpingjackflash5
Chords are here [tabs.ultimate-guitar.com]

Good song!

And the tutorial is right here at IORR: [iorr.org]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 24, 2020 11:30

UKRod
I have listened to this track several times and overall, I don't like it.

The IORR crowd is a funny and versatile one : for years we've been moaning about this legendary outtake (and its rumored "lost" status) and now that we can hear it, it's a concerto of "meh... don't like it... how dare they release this thing!"). smoking smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 24, 2020 11:35

Don Was built it up too much! winking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 24, 2020 11:40

jbwelda

Is Ian Stewart credited on Scarlet?

Yes:

"KEITH RICHARDS, Guitar, AssociatedPerformer, ComposerLyricist - MICK JAGGER, ComposerLyricist - Ian Stewart, Piano, AssociatedPerformer - Jimmy Page, Guitar, FeaturedArtist, AssociatedPerformer - The Rolling Stones, MainArtist - Jimmy Miller, Producer - Rick Grech, AssociatedPerformer, Bass (Vocal) - Howard Kilgour, Engineer, StudioPersonnel - Bruce Rowlands, Drums, AssociatedPerformer - Mick Jager, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, AssociatedPerformer - Rod Thear, Engineer, StudioPersonnel" -- [www.Qobuz.com] - (i)-Button.

Date: July 24, 2020 11:42

...... Well I love it ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 24, 2020 12:17

I love it too!

Date: July 24, 2020 12:20

okay we can love it together ...... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 24, 2020 12:33

smileys with beer

You bring the VB
I'll bring the Mythos

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 12:35

CamRS
I’m reminded of an old Stones story, where it was said that Mick liked to purposely make his vocals hard to understand so that people would listen to the record over and over again to make out what he’s saying.

In this case, it’s blurring the lines between old vs young mick so that we keep listening to the song over and over again to see which Mick is singing.

Really though, it shouldn’t matter which Mick is singing.

- Cam

I remember him saying that story somewhere too. I recall he said the old blues guys had told him that was deliberate to make people buy the records to listen to them again and again to decipher the words better.

Date: July 24, 2020 12:38

.... at this time in me
life I'm sluggin lots of Bombay Gin ..... hick!!

Got me work mate Ray Gun hooked on it and the other day
he asked me ... "Is it the gin that's blue or the bottle?" ....hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: July 24, 2020 12:44

Mick Jagger -- Rolling stone Magazine 12 October 1968

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 24, 2020 13:27

I'm holding out for this nugget until the 4th of sep. But to quote Pete Townshend, It's Hard.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 24, 2020 13:49

just wanted to say about Scarlet....the harmonies...Mick backed by Keith in that 70's way reminds me of another reason why I fell in love with this band....that's one of the x factors to this song.....can't underestimate the power of those 2 voices together and the sound they make.....vintage

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 24, 2020 14:00

Those minor chords will always be Mick's melodic secret weapons to get to us where it feels good.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2020 16:07

MadMax
I'm holding out for this nugget until the 4th of sep. But to quote Pete Townshend, It's Hard.

I thought that was what she said.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2020 16:09

strat72
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. It's like they expect an unreleased song from The Stones to be the next "Paint It Black" and when it isn't, they are disappointed. Thick as mince I tell ya.....

I like the track, and I'm happy that I've got the chance to hear it.

Why would it be considered stupid not to like a song? What a completely stupid thing to say.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 24, 2020 17:21

treaclefingers
strat72
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. It's like they expect an unreleased song from The Stones to be the next "Paint It Black" and when it isn't, they are disappointed. Thick as mince I tell ya.....

I like the track, and I'm happy that I've got the chance to hear it.

Why would it be considered stupid not to like a song? What a completely stupid thing to say.

I don’t think that’s what strat was saying treacle. I think his “stupid” comment was merely re expectations that an unreleased track, unreleased for a valid reason generally, was ever likely to be as good/great as songs The Stones DID deem worthy of, and did, release back in the day.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-24 19:32 by bitusa2012.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home