Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 23, 2020 17:42

Gazza
Justin
I'm late to the party but why then is an IORR outtake being released under GHS?

Par for the course with these deluxe reissues. Its actually a Black and Blue era outtake! The IORR album was finished well before this session - the album actually came put two weeks after it

Yeesh. Well in that case, I can't wait until we get the Dirty Work deluxe edition so I can finally hear outtakes from the Bridges to Babylon sessions!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 23, 2020 17:45

Chris Fountain

Scarlet will be the most popular name choice for babies and pets!!

Has already been by Jimmy Page in 1971 - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Other meanings of Scarlet, Scarlett - [en.Wikipedia.org] , [en.Wikipedia.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 17:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 23, 2020 18:37

Mick Jagger is more than extraordinary, here are 1000s of posters with great insight in their music and recordings, yet nobody can tell for sure if the vocals for Scarlet was recorded last month or 47 years ago, or somewhere in-between. A near 80 year old who has the ability to sing as he did when he was 31....that's out of line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 18:41 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 23, 2020 18:55

Erik_Snow

A near 80 year old who has the ability to sing as he did when he was 31....

.... then his Voice was probably electronically edited. winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 23, 2020 19:03

Erik_Snow
Mick Jagger is more than extraordinary, here are 1000s of posters with great insight in their music and recordings, yet nobody can tell for sure if the vocals for Scarlet was recorded last month or 47 years ago, or somewhere in-between. A near 80 year old who has the ability to sing as he did when he was 31....that's out of line

Right??
Even the detractors have to go with "probably" edited.

The man is amazing. No comparables really.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 23, 2020 19:27

Erik_Snow

Haha, I've been laughing that myself too - I could give some sort of arguments for each of the suggestions. The incoherent, half-baked lyrics might suggest that it's not done recently, but some other circumential evidence - such as knowing he has done something for these songs, and Page's hint of him having done a great job, and what we know of the song's history - say something different. But the truth is that my ears just don't give any firm answer. I lean on the suggestion - earwise - that Mick vocals are more or less all done recently, and all there is 'original' are Keith's background vocals - which probably have served as a guide for Mick to construct the main vocals - and lyrics - over them.

But that this is not 'obvious' at all, as it supposedly should be, that's just amazing.

Seemingly Mick is not this time saying anything about it.... Who knows if his story to claim he was there in the original sessions is just to serve the illusion his vocals dating from 1974...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 19:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 19:34

Doxa
Erik_Snow

Haha, I've been laughing that myself too - I could give some sort of arguments for each of the suggestions. The incoherent, half-baked lyrics might suggest that it's not done recently, but some other circumential evidence - such as knowing he has doing something for these songs, and Page's hint of him having done a great job, and what we know of the song's history - say something different. But the truth is that my ears just don't give any firm answer. I lean on the suggestion - earwise - that Mick vocals are more or less all done recently, and all there is 'original' are Keith's background vocals - which probably have served as a guide for Mick to construct the main vocals - and lyrics - over them.

But that this is not 'obvious' at all, as it supposedly should be, that's just amazing.

Seemingly Mick is not this time saying anything about it.... Who knows if his story to claim he was there in the original sessions is just to serve the illusion his vocals dating from 1974...

- Doxa

Well we know for sure he recently added an acoustic guitar and maracas to the song but the fact the vocals are so hard to tell if they're from '74 or now is simply put amazing. Mick Jagger honestly keeps getting better with age. Can't believe he'll be 77 in 3 days!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2020 19:43

Doxa
Erik_Snow

Haha, I've been laughing that myself too - I could give some sort of arguments for each of the suggestions. The incoherent, half-baked lyrics might suggest that it's not done recently, but some other circumential evidence - such as knowing he has done something for these songs, and Page's hint of him having done a great job, and what we know of the song's history - say something different. But the truth is that my ears just don't give any firm answer. I lean on the suggestion - earwise - that Mick vocals are more or less all done recently, and all there is 'original' are Keith's background vocals - which probably have served as a guide for Mick to construct the main vocals - and lyrics - over them.

- Doxa

The background vocals are attributed to bassist Rick Grech

Date: July 23, 2020 19:44

Actually I was already amazed with "Criss Cross" - that of 'old' Mick dueting with 'young' Mick, and the biggest evidence for seperating the two came from knowing the old out-takes not having certain passages at all...

- Doxa

Date: July 23, 2020 19:48

Maindefender

Are they? Damn, I hear Keef there, but seemingly I really can't trust my ears any longer at all...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2020 19:57

I am quite sure that most of the vocals are young Jagger.

C

Date: July 23, 2020 19:59

Doxa
Maindefender

Are they? Damn, I hear Keef there, but seemingly I really can't trust my ears any longer at all...grinning smiley

- Doxa

It's on page 7 of this thread, listed as vocals. Keith just guitar...that's my source...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 20:05

They should have worked up Traveling Man.At least that’s a Stones’ record.And Separately if Taylor hadn’t put crappy lyrics to it.But maybe Travelin sounds too much like the Allman Brothers Rambling Man and Chuck would not like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 20:07 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2020 20:15

No Charlie.
No Bill.

Mick's vocals...could be new and manipulated through a computer program...

Hard to consider this a Stones song as it doesn't really sound like one at all the more I listen.
Not horrible, but at best sounds like a Clapton throwaway circa '75/'76.
At worst, reminds me of some Aerosmith tune from the '90's...Steven Tyler would be yelping all over this if he had the chance...

Date: July 23, 2020 20:45

Unlike Criss Cross Mind, Scarlet doesn't remind me at all of Aerosmith
And how anything can soundlike 70s Clapton and 90s Aerosmith at the same time beats me

In the mid 70s, there's lotsa RS recordings that doesn't sound like the standard "Rolling Stones rocker" - like Seperately, Hey Negrita and Cherry Oh Baby, they were trying out new things, which kind of ended after the Undercover album.

It would've been better with proper Wyman basssplaying, tho

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: July 23, 2020 21:01

I’m reminded of an old Stones story, where it was said that Mick liked to purposely make his vocals hard to understand so that people would listen to the record over and over again to make out what he’s saying.

In this case, it’s blurring the lines between old vs young mick so that we keep listening to the song over and over again to see which Mick is singing.

Really though, it shouldn’t matter which Mick is singing.

- Cam

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 23, 2020 21:22

Doxa
Actually I was already amazed with "Criss Cross" - that of 'old' Mick dueting with 'young' Mick, and the biggest evidence for seperating the two came from knowing the old out-takes not having certain passages at all...

- Doxa

See, that's the key though. They have access to the tapes, but the bootleggers who grabbed a copy of a rough mix do not. I think those other passages are old as well, and are from a different vocal take.

As for Scarlet, Jagger definitely sounds vintage. The backup vocals could be modern, but I don't know what Grech sounds like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 21:23 by TravelinMan.

Date: July 23, 2020 21:27

JordyLicks96
Well we know for sure he recently added an acoustic guitar and maracas to the song but the fact the vocals are so hard to tell if they're from '74 or now is simply put amazing. Mick Jagger honestly keeps getting better with age. Can't believe he'll be 77 in 3 days!!

Where did you hear that?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 23, 2020 21:32

Why not publish a good outtake like "Living in the heart of love" on this reissue?
It was recorded in the same year (1974) and imo it's one of their best outtakes.
[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 21:35 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2020 21:35

Erik_Snow

And how anything can soundlike 70s Clapton and 90s Aerosmith at the same time beats me[/b]

Yeah funny isn't it... I've gone from thinking it sounds like vintage Wings, to throwaway Clapton c.75/'76 to '90's Aerosmith all in the space of 24 hours.
Maybe if you put all three of those in a blender you'd end up with Scarlet, but no matter how you dissect it doesn't sound much like the Stones to me...Page, Rowlands, and Grech make that an impossibility...

Date: July 23, 2020 21:37

Rick Grech: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 21:42 by Maindefender.

Date: July 23, 2020 23:08

Doxa
Erik_Snow

- Doxa

Exactly, Doxa, it's not obvious at all. I would think that lots if not all of the vocals are from 2020, due to little things like the way he sings "baby" after "...my heart on your sleeve" , he didn't pronounce that word like that before the 90s....but it's just tiny things, and I could very well be wrong. Imagine just about any other singer overdubbing some recording from 1974 leaving everybody, even the ones like us who has listened to 1000s of hours of this band, bewildered whether it's from then or from now.....impossible

Date: July 23, 2020 23:14

Might not be too difficult for a tambourine player or a jew's harp player, as long his/her health is OK, but for a singer....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 23, 2020 23:17

Man this song grows on me every time I hear it. I just picture how they were looking then, about as cool as it possibly gets.

Are there any pics of Keef and Page together at that time?

That bridge is a killer, and the stack-o-vocals are outta sight

smileys with beer

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 23:26

Doxa
Erik_Snow

- Doxa

It probably sounds arrogant, but knowing my brain has been "tortured" with well over 56 years of Rolling Stones recordings, after listening several times to Scarlet I said to my wife (corona times, so who else to talk too winking smiley) "I hear the Mick Jagger of the last decade and recognize Keith's background voice of many decades ago". So be it. Not to mention several other songs hidden in this one. Discoveries of some of our IORR elite are spot on cool smiley
By the way, the GHS amazingly priced de Luxe set will now be delivered in early September of this year instead of January next year, an Amazone mail told me yesterday. Can't wait ...
smileys with beer

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 23, 2020 23:30

I hear even "American Woman" from The Guess Who in it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 23, 2020 23:35

Where is this available to listen to?

For free, I mean?

jb

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 23, 2020 23:38

JB - here on youtube:

Scarlet

Date: July 23, 2020 23:50

What's throwing me off is why did Jagger sound totally different (and obviously noticeable) on the Exile outtakes?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 24, 2020 00:19

thank you. after that last fake on youtube, I neglected to check there.

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home