Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2020 07:56

MisterDDDD
Hairball
It didn't pass muster way back then in '74, it wasn't resurrected and reworked to become part of Tattoo You in '81, and finally in 2020 they scrape the bottom and add it to a Deluxe set.
Not saying it's bottom of the barrel quality, but there's reasons they neglected it all these years - it just doesn't pass muster. And now, it's simply a glorified leftover.

Insulting though that in order to purchase the 7" vinyl single, you have to splurge on a double vinyl bundle.
Many of us have already ordered the double vinyl, and some the 4 LP set, so why force the unwanted and unnecessary?
Still a chance there will be a single on it's own, but they should have made it available immediately - talk about milking this for all it's worth....lame...

Single vinyl purchase (unless you're counting the 7") for $29 pre any discounts.
[therollingstonesshop.com]

Gotta say.. "bottom of the barrel quality" and at the same time being mad about not being able to buy it by itself is one I didn't see coming.
(I kid, I kid.. I'm sure it's for "collecting" or something confused smiley )

I also started at about a 7/10 ranking after a few listens today. Unlike yours my rating went up a notch as I listened to it more today.
On Spotify with headphones it sounded much cleaner and better with each listen. I think the weak link if anything in this is lyrics.
Similar to Criss Cross, just not much there in terms of substance or story.. That said, I love it and look forward to getting the single.
To me this sounded much more like the early seventies, specifically the GHS era (I know it was recorded in '74) than Criss Cross and it would have fit in very nicely on the GHS original. Just a great groove/vibe/sound.

Read again, I wrote: "Not saying it's bottom of the barrel quality..."
As for the 7" vinyl single, the point is they're forcing fans who want it to fork over extra money for something they may not want or need - be it single lp, double lp, or the 4 lp.
Evidently it is the single LP for $29.99 (+ shipping), and for most of us it's an unnecessary/redundant product and a bit much for those who might want the single.
And no one is mad - I just think it's insulting to those with some common sense and/or who don't need an extra lp, but it's the typical gauging of fans they've mastered over the years.
Oh well, not losing sleep over it...it's really not that great of a tune no matter how you break it down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 07:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 08:06

It’s odd. Take out Jagger’s vocal and I am not sure it even sounds like The Stones. Not fussed with it one way or the other. Ambivalent towards it.

Rod

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2020 08:21

bitusa2012
It’s odd. Take out Jagger’s vocal and I am not sure it even sounds like The Stones. Not fussed with it one way or the other. Ambivalent towards it.

Yes it's odd, and ambivalent is a good way to describe how I feel after about ten or so listens via youtube, spotify, etc.
I think they made the right decision to release Criss Cross first as it's way more Stonesy, and it also reflects the all around debauchery and decadence of the era much more than this oddity does.
Just wish they would have released Criss Cross as a cd and/or 7" vinyl single instead of this.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 23, 2020 09:45

To me Criss Cross and Scarlet are quite similar in a way: both songs have interesting elements but neither of them leads anywhere. In both cases it seems that the band don't know what to do with them. Scarlet for example has the potential for a powerful ballad or a stuff rocker – but the band doesn't seem to be able to decide…

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 09:59

However, amazing bass lines !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 23, 2020 10:11

powerage78
However, amazing bass lines !

A classic 'more is more'-approach. Same with the drums.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 23, 2020 10:15

slewan
To me Criss Cross and Scarlet are quite similar in a way: both songs have interesting elements but neither of them leads anywhere. In both cases it seems that the band don't know what to do with them. Scarlet for example has the potential for a powerful ballad or a stuff rocker – but the band doesn't seem to be able to decide…

that is why they have been not finished and "taken out" from the albums back then and released 40 years and counting after.

also, it seems odd to consider and review them now as "singles". i know don was talks about "being a hit then and now" but, honestly, he is just doing his promo work there. they are not "singles" as if we are in 1973, these are unfinished tracks finally unearthed and worked on both for the (supposed) satisfaction of the fan and as a promo tool for the reissue of ghs. in that prospective I think that with these 2 (and the video for CC) they have done a really good job. only I wish they'd been more generous with these unfinished and "gone nowhere" gems.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 10:21 by maumau.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 23, 2020 10:21

Lame marketing scheme. Come on, throw it into the 4 lp set already.

jb

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 23, 2020 11:45

[www.youtube.com] just now

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 23, 2020 11:45

The More I Hear It The More I Like It

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 23, 2020 11:55

exil
The More I Hear It The More I Like It

I'm already addicted to Keef funky/reggae riffs!!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 23, 2020 12:28

Hairball
After about six or seven listens now, my ranking of this tune has quickly dropped from an initial positive impression of 7 out of 10 down to a mediocre/average 5 at best.
Not even sure if I'd spend money on a standalone single at this point considering it's on the 2 cd and 2 lp set, but might just for collection purposes. Sounds too cobbled together imo, and it's easy to understand why it was left unfinished, unreleased, and ultimately practically forgotten altogether. Criss Cross on the other hand is way better and has more of a vintage feel (and it ROCKS), and even the new Ghost Town is more enjoyable whereas this one sounds like Keith and Jimmy were wasted out of their mind trying to find some magic, but ultimately never happened. Still though was nice to hear, but like alot of the stuff they tack on to to these Deluxe re-releases (see Plundered), it will probably be quickly forgotten by most everyone - the general public and many Stones fans such as myself.

Scarlet sounds like a jam that's been worked up into a track. It's not a great track at all. Still, I appreciate them releasing but it's obvious why it has lingered on the shelf for decades.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 23, 2020 13:04

Must say I am enjoying this little burst of activity though Criss Cross Man is my favourite. Scarlet and Living both just ok. I have also got past the need to physically "own" everything which in this COVID age helps the pocket

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2020 13:10

Guess what?

I love it!

Keith is right, with a line up like that, how can you call it a demo? I mean, Mick and Keith WITH Page, Rowland AND Grech, with Ian the icing on the cake.

Ronnie's sure has a great taste in picking drummers and bassits ...

C

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 23, 2020 13:48

Only Ronnie didn't pick them, did he? Apparently, Ronnie was in Germany on tour with The Faces in October 1974, at the time "Scarlet" was recorded.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 23, 2020 14:02

Topi
Only Ronnie didn't pick them, did he? Apparently, Ronnie was in Germany on tour with The Faces in October 1974, at the time "Scarlet" was recorded.

Only guessing.

If true that Scarlet was recorded at Ronnie's place, I assume that Ronnie might have been at home and/or he sent out the invitations!

Plus Rowland played drums on Mahoney's Last Stand and I remember some form of connection between Grech and Rod Stewart.

C

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 23, 2020 14:09

There's a reason these songs didn't make it on any albums in the first place. As Stones fans we crave any/ all material. Now that we have heard them would either of these songs replace the existing standards? I take them for what they are. I am looking forward to finally having Brussels Affair.

Date: July 23, 2020 14:15

Reportedly, Keith lived in the coach house of The Wick in 1974. And The Faces were indeed on tour in Germany in early October. Having said that, I obviously have no idea who invited who smiling smiley

(Also see [www.nzentgraf.de] - The Faces' European tour ran from September 10 to October 24)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 14:22 by Topi.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 23, 2020 14:20

Justin
I'm late to the party but why then is an IORR outtake being released under GHS?

Par for the course with these deluxe reissues. Its actually a Black and Blue era outtake! The IORR album was finished well before this session - the album actually came put two weeks after it

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 23, 2020 14:35

Topi
Reportedly, Keith lived in the coach house of The Wick in 1974. And The Faces were indeed on tour in Germany in early October. Having said that, I obviously have no idea who invited who smiling smiley

(Also see [www.nzentgraf.de] - The Faces' European tour ran from September 10 to October 24)

Well, what about Ronnie’s then wife Krissie? And Mick being around...... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Dangerous mix hot smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2020 14:48

Gazza
Justin

Par for the course with these deluxe reissues. Its actually a Black and Blue era outtake! The IORR album was finished well before this session - the album actually came put two weeks after it

Auditioning Page to replace Mick Taylor

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 23, 2020 15:12

Gazza
Justin

It wasn't planned for any album. It was a collaboration between Richards and Page. They mentioned they might use it for a b-side.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 23, 2020 15:27

Must say I am enjoying this little burst of activity though Criss Cross Man is my favourite. Scarlet and Living both just ok. I have also got past the need to physically "own" everything which in this COVID age helps the pocket

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 23, 2020 15:36

Nothing special with this one.Half finished track with a total messy sound

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 16:20

Page’s guitar isn’t very good.Woody or Taylor should have been on it.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2020 16:28

harlem shuffle

Funny with headphones it's a pretty damn good listening experience

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 23, 2020 16:45

Scarlet in Hi-Res is already available on Qobuz :

Qobuz USA

Qobuz UK

Qobuz France

Qobuz Germany

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 23, 2020 16:48

Maindefender
harlem shuffle

Funny with headphones it's a pretty damn good listening experience

thumbs up Found the sound much better with headphones and listening on Spotify.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 23, 2020 17:07

Wait and see .....Scarlet will be the most popular name choice for babies and pets!!

Date: July 23, 2020 17:35

That's what the point of this thread was to begin with! winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home