Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 46
Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 22, 2020 23:31

Irix
Taylor1

Does Scarlet sound a little like Paul Simon’s Celia?

The melody of the Vocals (... Scarlet ...) reminded me immediately on this German Schlager (ESC-Song) from 1983:

Hoffmann & Hoffmann: "Rücksicht" - [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 0:42 and on)

Cecilia? Christ sake no

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: July 22, 2020 23:42

Happy to see this tune finally released, I’ve enjoyed listening to it throughout the day.

As far as which Mick is singing, to me it sounds like 70’s Mick on the main vocals, but I think I hear 2020 Mick background vocals in my left headphone at the very end of the song when they’re repeating the chorus over and over again.

If it is 2020 Mick on the main vocals, my hats off to him for pulling off a vintage-sounding vocal.

- Cam

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:01

Oh yes! This tune is burning its way into me

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:44

joshbg2k
you people are out of your minds if you don't like this song.

thumbs up

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 23, 2020 00:58

GasLightStreet
rollmops
I like what Jimmy does on the solos; they are very melodic and rhythmically good counterpoints to the vocals.

The name "Scarlet" is a good name for a title of a song but they already had "Angie" and Angie had to stay because one could have guessed from the start that it was going to be a huge hit.

Rockandroll,
Mops

And... Angie was recorded in 1972 for GHS while Scarlet was post-IORR release.

Ok.I thought Scarlett was born around the making of the Soup. Anyway too many Chicks names would have spoiled the Goat Head Soup.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:10

Breaking News! Commander talking about the new song on BBC Radio 2:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:15

Pretty unique track even for The Stones

The deep guitar slides during the verses &
the big popping bass makes for a different
sound altogether.

I think it sticks out even among the rest of the sessions
For what wold become G.H.S.

I like it,,good groove. Glad to hear it finally!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:17

Like it a lot, the chord progresion and the groove are 100 % a Rolling Stone's trademark.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:18

After about six or seven listens now, my ranking of this tune has quickly dropped from an initial positive impression of 7 out of 10 down to a mediocre/average 5 at best.
Not even sure if I'd spend money on a standalone single at this point considering it's on the 2 cd and 2 lp set, but might just for collection purposes. Sounds too cobbled together imo, and it's easy to understand why it was left unfinished, unreleased, and ultimately practically forgotten altogether. Criss Cross on the other hand is way better and has more of a vintage feel (and it ROCKS), and even the new Ghost Town is more enjoyable whereas this one sounds like Keith and Jimmy were wasted out of their mind trying to find some magic, but ultimately never happened. Still though was nice to hear, but like alot of the stuff they tack on to to these Deluxe re-releases (see Plundered), it will probably be quickly forgotten by most everyone - the general public and many Stones fans such as myself.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:30

rollmops
GasLightStreet
rollmops
I like what Jimmy does on the solos; they are very melodic and rhythmically good counterpoints to the vocals.

The name "Scarlet" is a good name for a title of a song but they already had "Angie" and Angie had to stay because one could have guessed from the start that it was going to be a huge hit.

Rockandroll,
Mops

And... Angie was recorded in 1972 for GHS while Scarlet was post-IORR release.

Ok.I thought Scarlett was born around the making of the Soup. Anyway too many Chicks names would have spoiled the Goat Head Soup.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Scarlet was born in 1971, FWIW.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:37

Stoneage

[www.youtube.com]

Broke many hours ago, champ winking smiley
[iorr.org]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:38

Maindefender
peoplewitheyes
That bridge, although certainly reminiscent of Tops/IYRWTBM Friend is just ragged perfection! Love it.

When exactly did they forget to make such great bridges? Right after Undercover, I guess.

Also those piled up ragged harmonies/double/triple tracked vocals... To me they are a vital sound of the Stones and completely absent for almost all of their 'recent' work.

Yes to IFRWTBMF, got that at first listen and I've only heard it once. Fun to pull out stuff like that. Hardly a Stones songs with only Mick and Keith. As discussed earlier two extra cuts on the bonus disc also have Jimmy Page?? All The Rage, a cool boogie-woogie could be the best of the unholy trio.

Second listen, a little Stray Cat from JP at the end. It’s a grower >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 23, 2020 01:48

I'm late to the party but why then is an IORR outtake being released under GHS?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2020 02:21

Justin

Same reason there are out of era tracks on EOMS and SG's reissues: because they don't care.

Posted by: daniel t ()

We can see the Stones were at the top of their game when songs like Scarlet or Criss Cross are not included on official albums. I really love those two songs. Much better thant Ghost Town.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()

Maybe cause it was written in 1973

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 23, 2020 02:24

MisterDDDD
Stoneage

[www.youtube.com]

Broke many hours ago, champ winking smiley
[iorr.org]

Great to hear, thanks

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 23, 2020 02:40

GasLightStreet
Justin

Same reason there are out of era tracks on EOMS and SG's reissues: because they don't care.

I think Exile is correct. They probably had those tunes up for the album just like Sweet Virginia, Sweet Black Angel AKA Bent Green Needles, Good Time Women, etc

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2020 02:41

It's Ok. Criss Cross is better. Guitar is good but the vocal isn't very interesting.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 03:01

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. It's like they expect an unreleased song from The Stones to be the next "Paint It Black" and when it isn't, they are disappointed. Thick as mince I tell ya.....

I like the track, and I'm happy that I've got the chance to hear it.

Date: July 23, 2020 03:11

And some people are very easy to please...release a few rejects and they'll find a reason to praise it whether good or bad or average...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 03:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 23, 2020 03:38

Average stones song, why use jimmy page when Taylor and keef is there

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 23, 2020 03:42

I think it sounds great, especially the lift at the chorus.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 23, 2020 05:27

strat72
The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. It's like they expect an unreleased song from The Stones to be the next "Paint It Black" and when it isn't, they are disappointed. Thick as mince I tell ya.....

I like the track, and I'm happy that I've got the chance to hear it.

I agree with you 100%. I think people like to be negative for the sake of being negative. If people were expecting a #1 hit, they're sadly mistaken. The song is really great for what it is. It's a demo that wasn't ever fully completed. Hey if you didn't like it, that's fine but it's the reasons given for not liking it that are pretty laughable. Would people rather they just retire and release nothing at all ever again? Hell, they've put out a new song unexpectedly, did an amazing performance for the TV special and are now putting out a reissue with bonus material in 2020. ALL DURING A PANDEMIC!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 23, 2020 05:28

killer hook....killer hook, killer hook....its in my head all day....stop it....killer hook....

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 23, 2020 05:49

To me, it sounds like something from Talk is Cheap. Just a riff with various fills. It would’ve been better with Mick Taylor instead of Jimmy page!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 23, 2020 06:51

Not worth more than a few listens. However, there is a nice chorus in there and a nice bridge. There is the mark of a great song in there. I think Beast of Burden started off as a one-hour jam and noodling session and look what it turned into.

If they did the same thing with this song back in the day, it could have been really great. Say as an extra Some Girls single. The magic of BoB is there is a lot of "empty space" in it that gives it impact. In Scarlet there is a "chug chug chug" guitar which I would have removed from the final version.

A respun Scarlet done with the "new 1978 Stones" where it is rewritten, rearranged with the chaff cut out, and thinned out, could have been a remarkable song.

Date: July 23, 2020 07:15

It didn't pass muster way back then in '74, it wasn't resurrected and reworked to become part of Tattoo You in '81, and finally in 2020 they scrape the bottom and add it to a Deluxe set.
Not saying it's bottom of the barrel quality, but there's reasons they neglected it all these years - it just doesn't pass muster. And now, it's simply a glorified leftover.

Insulting though that in order to purchase the 7" vinyl single, you have to splurge on a double vinyl bundle.
Many of us have already ordered the double vinyl, and some the 4 LP set, so why force the unwanted and unnecessary?
Still a chance there will be a single on it's own, but they should have made it available immediately - talk about milking this for all it's worth....lame...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 07:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 23, 2020 07:38

Hairball
It didn't pass muster way back then in '74, it wasn't resurrected and reworked to become part of Tattoo You in '81, and finally in 2020 they scrape the bottom and add it to a Deluxe set.
Not saying it's bottom of the barrel quality, but there's reasons they neglected it all these years - it just doesn't pass muster. And now, it's simply a glorified leftover.

Insulting though that in order to purchase the 7" vinyl single, you have to splurge on a double vinyl bundle.
Many of us have already ordered the double vinyl, and some the 4 LP set, so why force the unwanted and unnecessary?
Still a chance there will be a single on it's own, but they should have made it available immediately - talk about milking this for all it's worth....lame...

Single vinyl purchase (unless you're counting the 7") for $29 pre any discounts.
[therollingstonesshop.com]

Gotta say.. "bottom of the barrel quality" and at the same time being mad about not being able to buy it by itself is one I didn't see coming.
(I kid, I kid.. I'm sure it's for "collecting" or something confused smiley )

I also started at about a 7/10 ranking after a few listens today. Unlike yours my rating went up a notch as I listened to it more today.
On Spotify with headphones it sounded much cleaner and better with each listen. I think the weak link if anything in this is lyrics.
Similar to Criss Cross, just not much there in terms of substance or story.. That said, I love it and look forward to getting the single.
To me this sounded much more like the early seventies, specifically the GHS era (I know it was recorded in '74) than Criss Cross and it would have fit in very nicely on the GHS original. Just a great groove/vibe/sound.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 23, 2020 07:43

Hairball

If they really scratch the bottom, "living is a harder love" or "drift away" would have been released don't you think so? There is still more great stuff out to release. I've to listen to scarlet some more to get an opinion.
Voice is partly Jagger 2020 for sure.
drums play too much and are a bit unfocussed which would be nessecary because of the tons of guitars.
Bass thinks, he is lead guitar.
Very nice harmonies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-23 07:51 by deardoctor.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home