Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 46
Scarlet
Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 5, 2010 00:55

Apparently Don Was mentioned this again specifically last night during his presentation at the Grammy Museum. He described it as a "hit then, and a hit now". I'll ask next I see him why it didn't make the track list for Exile. Perhaps they discovered it was recorded after the time period, or they're saving it. Either way, we now know it didn't morph into one of the other tracks. winking smiley

Re: Scarlet
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 5, 2010 01:48

Cheers for that, Teddy. Intriguing description!

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 5, 2010 02:42

I'm not remembering this one? Is this a well known song from boots? If so perhaps I've heard it and never got the title?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 5, 2010 03:15

never bootlegged.

It was one of the songs first announced as being on the bonus disc, but when the track listing was finalised, it wasnt included

Posted by: donnarq1 ()
Date: June 5, 2010 05:41

Yes...I was there last night.

Date: June 5, 2010 05:42

Mr. Was said it was from the Goatshead Soup sessions. There's also an alternate version of All Down the Line which has not been released.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 5, 2010 05:47

OK, so we get Scarlet, Criss Cross and Through The Lonely Nights on a GHS bonus, along with another disc of Live Europe 1973. Sounds like a keeper.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: June 5, 2010 07:04

There is also a great alternative version of Silver Train from the GHS sessions, found on bootlegs, I like it better than the official cut. From this thread it sounds like a GHS bonus could be stronger than the Exile bonus

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 5, 2010 07:19

bolexman
There is also a great alternative version of Silver Train from the GHS sessions, found on bootlegs, I like it better than the official cut. From this thread it sounds like a GHS bonus could be stronger than the Exile bonus

Much stronger, as there really weren't many "true" Exile tracks besides "Good Time Women", alt. "Loving Cup" and alt "Sour Survivor" (which did not have real lyrics). Again, if they pared GHS with just a few really good bonus cuts and a disc of live '73, we would be talking the ultimate Stones deluxe package.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: June 5, 2010 09:28

I hear you 71 tele, I would love a officially released disc of Europe 73.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: June 5, 2010 09:44

I have Ya Ya's out. I don't need another Live CD with the same songs as
Rambler, Gimme Shelter,Brown Sugar etc.

an extra CD with GDS outtakes / alternative version would be great.

Date: June 5, 2010 13:08

Re: 71Tele

True! It would be incredibly strong, especially with Europe 73 live included... awesome idea... Perhaps they heldover Scarlet for this reason? The mythology surrounding Exile will sell the Deuxe packages- the next Deluxe package will have to be stronger if it hopes to be as successful. Do you know what I mean? And it will come down to the music. Enter live in Europe 73, stage right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-05 13:19 by bolexman.

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: June 5, 2010 18:29

rusty
I have Ya Ya's out. I don't need another Live CD with the same songs as
Rambler, Gimme Shelter,Brown Sugar etc.

an extra CD with GDS outtakes / alternative version would be great.

Yeah, except they were smokin' hot on the '73 Euro tour, much hotter than USA '69. Taylor finally sounded at home in the band.

Date: June 5, 2010 18:35

"Fast Talkin Slow Walkin" was recorded during GHS sessions. Now THAT is a great outtake. And "Travellin Man" could also qualify... Yep, definitely better than the Exile bonus.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: June 6, 2010 17:11

Was Drift Away around that time or a little later?

Date: June 6, 2010 17:23

I've read Drift Away is from the It's Only Rock'n'roll Sessions. But who really knows...?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 6, 2010 17:25

71Tele
bolexman

Much stronger, as there really weren't many "true" Exile tracks besides "Good Time Women", alt. "Loving Cup" and alt "Sour Survivor" (which did not have real lyrics). Again, if they pared GHS with just a few really good bonus cuts and a disc of live '73, we would be talking the ultimate Stones deluxe package.

My nipples are getting hard

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:08

TeddyB1018
Apparently Don Was mentioned this again specifically last night during his presentation at the Grammy Museum. He described it as a "hit then, and a hit now". I'll ask next I see him why it didn't make the track list for Exile. Perhaps they discovered it was recorded after the time period, or they're saving it. Either way, we now know it didn't morph into one of the other tracks. winking smiley

Hi Teddy! Have you seen Don Was?! winking smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 20, 2011 19:57

71Tele
bolexman

Yes that would be something! And and a Star star, which isnĀ“t censored on the main disc - and if anybody wants it the censored on the bonus. Years ago I heard a bootleg-track called Angel eyes, which seemed to be an alternate "winter" with some passages that later would develop in to one of the ballads on B&B, maybe Memory Motel or Melody. I really look forward to the GHS-deluxe - and hope too, that it will include an official (and generous) live '73 release.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 20, 2011 20:01

"I did what could possibly be the next Stones B side. It was Rick Grech, Keith and me doing a number called "Scarlet." I can't remember the drummer. It sounded very similar in style and mood to those Blonde on Blonde tracks. It was great, really good. We stayed up all night and went down to Island Studios where Keith put some reggae guitars over one section. I just put some solos on it, but it was eight in the morning of the next day before I did that. He took the tapes to Switzerland and someone found out about them. Keith told people that it was a track from my album" J. Page
[www.cameroncrowe.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 20:02 by stones78.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 20, 2011 21:01

"Angel Eyes" was a counterfeit. It's not any of the Stones, just soundalikes.

I think it might actually be listed as "Angel Girl" on the boot I heard it from. When it first circulated I thought it was going to be "Zip Mouth Angel" but the bootleggers insist it was a GOATS HEAD SOUP outtake. You are correct that they worked in a bit of "Memory Motel," but it isn't authentic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-20 21:29 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:02

Rocky Dijon
"Angel Eyes" was a counterfeit. It's not any of the Stones, just soundalikes.

I think it might actually be listed as "Angel Girl" on the boot I heard it from. When it first circulated I thought it was going to be "Zip Mouth Angel" but the bootleggers insist it was a GOATS HEAD SOUP outtake. You are correct that they worked in a bit of "Memory Motel," but it isn't authentic.

Angel Girl - yes that was the correct title. Thanks for the information. I heard it twice five years ago or so, and remember it having passages, where "jagger"s voice sounded strange - or as I had never heard before. In retrospect I'm not surprised that Angel Girl is a counterfeit.

Not even bootleggers are to trust anymore...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:59

donnarq1
Mr. Was said it was from the Goatshead Soup sessions. There's also an alternate version of All Down the Line which has not been released.

Not a real good reason not to include it, as Title 5 is from '67....

Mathijs

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 21, 2011 12:45

Mathijs
donnarq1

Mathijs
While I do find some of the evidence for this pretty convincing (much more so than I originally thought), I don't believe it has actually been proven yet.

Date: February 21, 2011 12:59

FreeBird
Mathijs
donnarq1

Mathijs
While I do find some of the evidence for this pretty convincing (much more so than I originally thought), I don't believe it has actually been proven yet.

How would you want to prove it? It's a jam that has been given a title, so it won't show up in any database like Zentgraf's.

The fact that an effect is used that is on an amp that was only used in 67 and 68, the bass has that hollow-body sound of '66 to '68 and Charlie's drumming is typical of mid-60's is sufficient prove to me.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 21, 2011 15:07

Pretty sure "Title 5" was listed on the session logs for Olympic in '67 and it sounds so much like a Dick Dale surf instrumental that even without the technical knowledge Mathijs brings, I'd be pretty certain it was from either BETWEEN THE BUTTONS or SATANIC MAJESTIES.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 21, 2011 16:25

frankly, i don't give a damn

Date: February 21, 2011 19:11

...good one smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2011 19:31

StonesTod
frankly, i don't give a damn

Who cares?

Mathijs

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 21, 2011 21:05

I think Stonestod was making a joke( and a rather clever one at that) about the title of the thread by quoting Rhett Butler(Clark Gable) in Gone With the Wind:"Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-21 21:06 by andrewm.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 46

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1085
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home