Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger's 'stupid' comment
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:22

old news but how do you think Keith and Charlie felt about Jagger's 'now we're just stupid' remark? a joke sure but not that funny. it's like, 'hey speak for yourself' moody smiley

Re: Jagger's 'stupid' comment
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:27

Well, he could have meant it in another or other ways - as in, stupid-ly rich, stupid-ly successful, stupid-ly famous, stupid-ly rich and stupid-ly rich.

Perhaps the stupid also is an admittance to the fact that their previous 4 albums or so have had a few good songs and a lot of bullshit on them - that they're just imitating themselves imitating The Rolling Stones for the sake of doing something new that neither sticks nor gets bothered with on tour.

But probably not.

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: June 4, 2010 17:37

it doesn't bother me. if jagger came out and said the stones suck it wouldn't ruin my day. i wouldn't cry about it.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 4, 2010 18:10

well it shows a great deal of derision.

I prefer this attitude to the one of some other artists who take themselves for great intellectuals when they speak about their music

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 4, 2010 18:57

It was just a throwaway line meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 4, 2010 19:38

He was just deflecting the age thing, that's all.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 4, 2010 20:01

It's a very fine line between clever and stupid.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: June 4, 2010 20:14

Why? It was just something about their age.

Date: June 4, 2010 20:38

Could someone provide the entire thing? I can't recall where I read it.

Date: June 4, 2010 20:39

Ahhhhh - found it.

"We were young, good-looking and stupid," Jagger told the audience before the screening of film-maker Stephen Kijak's documentary "Stones in Exile".

"Now we're just stupid," he added, to laughs from a packed theatre near the waterfront in the Riviera town.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 4, 2010 21:43

It is a good line.

Date: June 4, 2010 21:50

jpasc95
well it shows a great deal of derision.

I prefer this attitude to the one of some other artists who take themselves for great intellectuals when they speak about their music

Agreed jpasc; I just watched one of the 'Classic Albums' episodes; this one was on the "Joshua Tree". It was another good installment, and all the things Bono said bugged me. While they were true I feel like you shouldn't speak of your own music like that; to speak of your own album like this. Nothing wrong with saying "Hey, it's a great f*ckin album; the best", but Bono has to go on and on talking like a critic about "Four men who are discovering the yearning of the Irish ache through the metaphor of a tree in the desert; alienated in this vast landscape of 80's rock'n roll.." bla bla

Posted by: urbanjungle90 ()
Date: June 4, 2010 21:55

I never thought anything of it when he said it. I just thought it was a joke, I never gave it a thought the others could be offended by it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-04 21:55 by urbanjungle90.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 4, 2010 22:16

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-04 22:17 by ryanpow.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 4, 2010 22:31

urbanjungle90
I never thought anything of it when he said it. I just thought it was a joke, I never gave it a thought the others could be offended by it.

Exactly.

It's silly to read too much into it. It was a self-deprecating gag.

But if one is looking for a bigger point, I think he was making a disclaimer about some of the illegal, and yes, stupid behavior that went on during the making of the album. (Heroin and handguns?? Bust me, please...)

It was a good way to set the younger set straight, in case anyone thought those were the magic ingredients to making a classic rock album. Rather than say, "Kids, don't do this.." It was more along the lines of "Too Soon Old...Too Late Smart!"

And best of all, it was a funny line.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: June 4, 2010 22:36

Come on, guys, it's only rock'n roll!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 5, 2010 00:13

I think it's quite funny and it shows that he is not egotisical and can enjoy poking fun at himself; it would be far worse to see him taking it all too seriously.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 5, 2010 05:39

I thought it was funny, in a self-deprecating way.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:50

That's the word exactly, Angee! That's why I think Jagger was funny, poking fun at himself, which many people have a hard time doing!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2010 19:55

mickschix
That's the word exactly, Angee! That's why I think Jagger was funny, poking fun at himself, which many people have a hard time doing!

Especially when they're not only joking but also telling the truth ...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home