Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Ron Wood new album!
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 8, 2010 14:15

erikjjf
Monkeytonkman
I'm definitely getting a ZZ Top vibe off this bad boy.
Yowza!

Billy Gibbons is featured on the album.

That's right. Here's a pic of the guitar Billy used in the studio.
Ronnie liked that axe so much he wanted Billy to give it to him.
Billy had given guitars to Ronnie and Keith as well before but not this time.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 8, 2010 22:20

Honest Ronnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RW rules!!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 9, 2010 01:41

My main issue w Ronnie is his tone. I love Woody but he really should try some different amps. Soldano, perhaps the old the ampegs. He just needs to experiment or even go back to his best Faces tone. His current tones on album or live have been a little boring. Imagine his new songs with his faces low end guitar grumble.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 9, 2010 02:05

this could have easily been on any of the stones last 3 albums as one of the better songs, very nice tune, not great but good, just like the past 3 stones albums

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 9, 2010 03:21

Somewhere along the way Keith became the more dominant one on stage, in terms of volume and presence...completely pushing Ronnie away. Since then, Ronnie's timidly stayed in the back only coming up to hit a solo and then sinking back out.

Keith has gotten pretty greedy and not allowed Ronnie to fight back with full rhythm and strong leads. The "push and pull" Keith's always been raving about between them two is now just push. Only during the ABB tour, Ronnie was right up front--but that was because Keith was suffering and barely could stand.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 9, 2010 04:09

I think Ronnie knows there will be a Stones world tour in 2011, and this is his way of getting ready for it. Ronnie will be ready when Mick makes the decision to tour, just as he has always been ready to go. Like Keith, he has an iron constitution. Mick Taylor, as great as he used to be, is sick all or most of the time.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: June 9, 2010 05:00

......Sweetness sounds more like the Stones than the Stones do.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 9, 2010 09:50

Nice. But if it was not Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones this cut would never see the light of the day or mean anything. As a song it would not had made A BIGGER BANG. It would need the master mind of some real song writer to make it a Rolling Stones song. The guitars are as generic as it can be (I agree with "999" reference, and the ZZ Top bit as well). Reminds me bit of UNDRCOVER/DIRTY WORK era when Ronnie's influence seemed to be strongest among the Stones camp.

But, a good point: the track shows that the rock guitar is still in Ronnie's veins. If his mind & life will be okay, he would be not be the weak link in the forecoming Stones projects. He is a proper rock and roll guitarist. (Plus a decent song writer and a bad singer).

And, a great point: great to see and hear Ronnie in productive, positive sense. Enough of crap publicity!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 09:55 by Doxa.

Date: June 9, 2010 10:43

He has his own style, which is very characteristic (as KR's) because of it's technical limitations. And that is what make them great, they are not just another white british young guitarist trying to play blues with accuracy and virtuosity, they play as they are, a completely mess, and that is what i like of them (i love the new barbarians sound........).
It is very true that during last tours RW's guitar volume is very low, and KR's very high. In this way ther is no posible weaving, there is no right guitar interaction.

I hava a lot of respect of this guy, a lot of people love him in the show business, a lot of people appreciatte him as a person and as an artist.

Date: June 9, 2010 10:55

Doxa
Nice. But if it was not Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones this cut would never see the light of the day or mean anything. As a song it would not had made A BIGGER BANG. It would need the master mind of some real song writer to make it a Rolling Stones song. The guitars are as generic as it can be (I agree with "999" reference, and the ZZ Top bit as well). Reminds me bit of UNDRCOVER/DIRTY WORK era when Ronnie's influence seemed to be strongest among the Stones camp.

But, a good point: the track shows that the rock guitar is still in Ronnie's veins. If his mind & life will be okay, he would be not be the weak link in the forecoming Stones projects. He is a proper rock and roll guitarist. (Plus a decent song writer and a bad singer).

And, a great point: great to see and hear Ronnie in productive, positive sense. Enough of crap publicity!

- Doxa

And what do you think about Sweetness - wouldn't that track have seen the light of day with another songwriter? My guess, it would. Awesome track.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 9, 2010 11:45

The quality of songwriting make the difference between good and bad rock and roll songs. From this point of view probably Ron Wood's new single will not change the story of rock and roll.

Nevertheless, this has balls, it IS 100% rock and roll. Lets not understimate this aspect, because it is essential! To record stuff like this, to record a rock and roll song, first you have to be of the kind of Ron Wood.

I have met thousands of wannabies in my life with loud mouths. The EVERYBODY-CAN-DO-THIS kind of people. I would like to be able to post some of their "best" works here. You would see songs like Back to Zero form a completely new perspective.

C

Date: June 9, 2010 12:04

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

And what do you think about Sweetness - wouldn't that track have seen the light of day with another songwriter? My guess, it would. Awesome track.

Yep. Listened it also now. A nice little song. The chorus "Me Sweetness is my weakness" has a nice catchy melodic hook in it. I hear even a bit of potential commerciality there. Ronnie surely has an ear to songcraft. A great summer song.

From the base of these two tracks, it will be a fine Ronnie Wood album. It will add nicely to EXILE bonus CD for the soundtrack of summer 2010.

What I always find pleasing in Ronnie's songs is their relaxed atmospher. The guy never tries to achieve something beyond his scope but trusts his own strong qualities. He is totally one with his music. His music never really makes any difference but it is alright and enyoyable good time music in its own rights. (To not forget the eternal debate: for example, Mick Taylor's solo efforts do not quite meet the intended, more ambitious goals he has.)

- Doxa

Date: June 9, 2010 12:22

Well said, Doxa.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: June 9, 2010 12:51

Hot damn, Ronnie! What an absolutely filthy crunch..."A Thing About You" is pulverizing...! The Stones haven't rocked this deep in a coon's age...

...and "Sweetness" is so loose and raunchy...juicy...bring this feel to the next Stones' album...it'll give it what they've lacked for ages...insouciant attitude...keep on, Ronnie, you cannot be denied...!

Summer 2010 is a golden time for Stones fans...the new Exile set and now this...who woulda thunk it?!

P.S. danke Lorenz for the download!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-09 12:52 by Turd On The Run.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 9, 2010 16:47

Doxa
... As a song it would not had made A BIGGER BANG...

It's better than these songs off A Bigger Bang:

Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Dangerous Beauty (MUCH better than this one)
Sweet Neo Con
Look What the Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 9, 2010 18:36

thing about you = cat scratch fever, minus the weaponry.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: June 9, 2010 23:52

liddas
Good stuff!

[www.ronniewood.com]

C

You know the thing is if this would be with Mick's voice and called the Rolling Stones every one would break the house down here on IORR (incl the Woody bashers). And than add to it that there was a threat here recently that Wandering Spirit was the best "Stones" album of the last 30 yrs, plus the longing aired by many for Taylor's solo guitar touch. Just make your calculations (Jagger, Wood, Taylor, Watts and the whole back-up team, and the Stones are back in business again). It's time for Keith to acknowledge the truth of his situation, his legacy is established allready and is legendary and unbeatable, just don't drag the band you claim to love down with your fall, but let them go free out off your claws and fly high ones more for the last time.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 10, 2010 00:37

I don't know, I don't think the Stones would cut a track so amped-up in a kind of generic Slash-y way. If ron wants to go Hard Rock, let him.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2010 06:26

liddas
The quality of songwriting make the difference between good and bad rock and roll songs. From this point of view probably Ron Wood's new single will not change the story of rock and roll.

Nevertheless, this has balls, it IS 100% rock and roll. Lets not understimate this aspect, because it is essential! To record stuff like this, to record a rock and roll song, first you have to be of the kind of Ron Wood.

I have met thousands of wannabies in my life with loud mouths. The EVERYBODY-CAN-DO-THIS kind of people. I would like to be able to post some of their "best" works here. You would see songs like Back to Zero form a completely new perspective.

C

While I totally agree with your sentiment, you've picked a rather low target in "Back to Zero"...I think each of the wannabies, if they dug deep, could probably soar over that target.

Go Ron!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2010 06:28

behroez
liddas
Good stuff!

[www.ronniewood.com]

C

You know the thing is if this would be with Mick's voice and called the Rolling Stones every one would break the house down here on IORR (incl the Woody bashers). And than add to it that there was a threat here recently that Wandering Spirit was the best "Stones" album of the last 30 yrs, plus the longing aired by many for Taylor's solo guitar touch. Just make your calculations (Jagger, Wood, Taylor, Watts and the whole back-up team, and the Stones are back in business again). It's time for Keith to acknowledge the truth of his situation, his legacy is established allready and is legendary and unbeatable, just don't drag the band you claim to love down with your fall, but let them go free out off your claws and fly high ones more for the last time.

Keith bashing now?

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: June 10, 2010 17:48

...I don't know what the hell he has been doing for the last 15 years, but I never knew he had this in him.

Posted by: ErikGrefberg ()
Date: June 10, 2010 18:12

Love Ronnie no matter what he does! Cool sound to it - not the most imaginative tune, but straight forward guitar rock!

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: June 10, 2010 19:06

liddas
Good stuff!

[www.ronniewood.com]

C

I like this song!

Date: June 11, 2010 10:11

Thing about you absolutely rocks!!!!!!!!! This song sung by Jagger should have been a bomb

Posted by: petronio11 ()
Date: June 13, 2010 18:00

Lorenz
here are the songs again in case the previous link doesn't work anymore.
[rapidshare.com]

This link does not work for me. Says I have to have premium account to download. Can someone host it somewhere else?
Thank you.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: June 13, 2010 18:06

Doxa

you are kidding right? its better than half the songs on ABB IMO, as an album abb flopped sales wise, it was just another excuse to go out on another massive world tour to make a ton of money playing the old warhorses

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-13 18:11 by melillo.

Date: June 13, 2010 18:47

melillo
Doxa

you are kidding right? its better than half the songs on ABB IMO, as an album abb flopped sales wise, it was just another excuse to go out on another massive world tour to make a ton of money playing the old warhorses

No, I'm not kidding. If the Stones would have recorded this "song", with all its lyrical flavor, they would laughed out of court for not even trying to present a song-like item. There is absolutely nothing in this song that needs something like songcraft skill. If one can strum few cliche rock chords and dated riffs, and add few idiotic lines here and there, that does not require a lot. The mediocre, boring songs in ABB sound like sympathyforthedevils or gimmeshelters compared to it... Yeah, it "rocks" but a good rocker needs a bit of creativity as well.. But it is okay Ronnie Wood solo number.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-13 18:50 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 13, 2010 18:51

Doxa
Yeah, it "rocks" but a good rocker needs a bit of creativity as well..

yeah, but if you apply the same standard to ABB rockers? ummmm...yeah...see my point?

Date: June 14, 2010 20:46

Some people are still waiting for a new Beggars banket or Let it bLEED... ¡CACHONDOS!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 14, 2010 21:14

I'm with Doxa on this and I'm no great lover of ABB, although I rank VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON very highly. The best I could say is that Ronnie acquits himself better than on NOT FOR BEGINNERS which was amateurish at best and the sad remains of a wasted talent at worst. SLIDE ON THIS was Ronnie still showing musical and lyrical strength. "I've Got a Thing About You" wants to evoke SLIDE ON THIS (with shadings of Keith's "I Could Have Stood You Up"), but comes across as an old man trying too hard to act young and is weighed down with an over-reliance on cliched lyrics. I'll be curious to hear the rest of the album to see if this track is really representative. This doesn't hold a candle to "Josephine" or "Like It."

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home