Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tattoo You
Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: October 21, 2009 17:50

I purchased the remaster of Tattoo YHou yesterday and I must admit it is much improved from Virgin remasters . It's the fifth copy I have bought ( you're welcome Mick and Keith ) . It has more bottom to it and it doesn't have that shiny tin sound that I've heard in the CBS reissues and Virgin . It's good , you can really hear the cowbell in Start Me Up which I've always loved . And the guitar sound on Worried About You seems fatter and more fleshed out . It's such a classic ! How do these engineers pull this off ? Do they get Mick and Keiths input ? Are they ruining whats already there ? Thoughts ??

Re: Tattoo You
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 21, 2009 17:58

are you trying to tempt me to buy a new set of remasters again!?!?? winking smiley

i bought the UM verison of Undercover and was very pleased.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 21, 2009 18:05

I dunno. The difference between the CBS and Virgin issues are astounding. You might think the UMe remaster sounds better but it as well as the others weren't remastered with the intention being to sound like the original vinyl releases, which is what Ludwig did for Virgin. How the UMe's sound better is possibly due to how they wanted them to sound modern and not like the original releases.

Which I have a problem with in case you can't tell.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 21, 2009 18:52

I own STICKY FINGERS, GOATS HEAD SOUP, ITS ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL, SOME GIRLS, TATTOO YOU, and UNDERCOVER thus far and enjoy them greatly. Are they revelatory? Not every song certainly, but there are differences and GOATS HEAD SOUP makes me think someone was paying attention to the ACETATES bootleg and made some changes. The title track on IORR sounds closer to vinyl now than ever before on CD.

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: October 21, 2009 19:38

kittypoo
I purchased the remaster of Tattoo YHou yesterday and I must admit it is much improved from Virgin remasters . It's the fifth copy I have bought ( you're welcome Mick and Keith ) . It has more bottom to it and it doesn't have that shiny tin sound that I've heard in the CBS reissues and Virgin . It's good , you can really hear the cowbell in Start Me Up which I've always loved . And the guitar sound on Worried About You seems fatter and more fleshed out . It's such a classic ! How do these engineers pull this off ? Do they get Mick and Keiths input ? Are they ruining whats already there ? Thoughts ??

hey there...what site did you use to purchase this?....is there one site that lists all the cd's?

thanks

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 21, 2009 22:31

I´ve always wondered - how open was the Stones about Tattoo You being a "best of outtakes" when it was released?
I was too young back then in the no-internet age. What did people know?
Also: I don´t have the booklet here at work, but how much was known of - say Mick Taylors work - from the liner notes/credits?

RB

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 21, 2009 22:42

RobberBride
I´ve always wondered - how open was the Stones about Tattoo You being a "best of outtakes" when it was released?
I was too young back then in the no-internet age. What did people know?
Also: I don´t have the booklet here at work, but how much was known of - say Mick Taylors work - from the liner notes/credits?

RB

to say the least: nothing

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 21, 2009 22:47

As long as the CD is good, I don't care if it is "best of outtakes".

To me, they can make a new "best of outtakes" as log as the songs have high quality (off course new outtakes and not older thousand times played before outtakes).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-21 22:48 by mtaylor.

Date: October 21, 2009 22:52

To answer the question, the credits would lead you to believe it was new or at least from the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions given Kimsey's Associate Producer credit. However, Jagger was quite open about the origins of songs when he was interviewed at the time. That said, its not like its METAMORPHOSIS. All of the songs had new vocals or instrumental overdubs, they're not simply remixes. Same deal with "So Young" when it finally surfaced in 1994.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 21, 2009 22:59

Thanks!

(Ok ok ok
Didn´t mean to imply "best of outtakes" is anywhere near bad. That was just a phrase. My question was about the knowledge in fancircles.)

RB

Posted by: klaudio ()
Date: October 21, 2009 23:26

I think some songs sound better on the Um remasters....but overall I think they are just "louder" for download purposes. I have pretty good equipment and I am starrting to go back to the Virgin releases. I think the UM releases overall are noisy. Tatoo You is one of the better remasters overall(UM).

The Beatles remasters are very superior to these and trust me I am a bigger
Stone's fan. The Um remasters were just squeezed.

I also use some tube equipment which generally mellows some things out a bit.

Date: October 22, 2009 01:12

Some tracks sound the same as the Virgin masters to me, but it very much depends on what speakers I'm hearing it on more so than most CDs I have. Not disputing it has something to do with loudness/lossless considerations, but the better the speakers, the more differences I notice.

Posted by: klaudio ()
Date: October 22, 2009 01:27

I totally agree with the better component the difference in sound.
Do (UM) sound "better" on my small system (NAD/PSB speakers).

The Mcintosh/SALK sytem is where I critically listen.......listening
to the Japanese OBI EXILE on the system right now.

Sounds great!!!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 22, 2009 15:45

rlngstns
kittypoo

hey there...what site did you use to purchase this?....is there one site that lists all the cd's?

thanks

Amazon has them all in a box for $145.49. Box has room for the Exile remaster coming out next year too, and contains a poster (or two...not sure).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-22 17:46 by kovach.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 22, 2009 16:48

You must forgive me but I have to rank it like:
"Start Me Up" - 3:32 thumbs up 4-
"Hang Fire" - 2:20 thumbs up 3+
"Slave" - 6:32 thumbs down 2
"Little T & A" - 3:23 thumbs up 3
"Black Limousine" (Jagger, Richards, Ron Wood) - 3:33 thumbs up 3+
"Neighbours" - 3:33 thumbs up 4-
"Worried About You" - 5:17 thumbs down 2
"Tops" - 3:47 thumbs down 2
"Heaven" - 4:22 thumbs down 2
"No Use in Crying" (Jagger, Richards, Wood) - 3:25 thumbs down 2
"Waiting on a Friend" - 4:34 thumbs up 5

Points 2,91...overrated album so to say smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 22, 2009 17:15

Come on Come On! You don't like Slave? Tops? Worried About You?

Wow.

Regarding outtakes and how it makes the album, consider what is on Exile and Emotional Rescue for that matter. It really is no issue whether it was actually recorded for the album or not, it's more about where it fits. It just so happens that Tattoo You contains, basically, all outtakes of some degree.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 22, 2009 17:23

skipstone

Wow.

He, It's more that I don't remember those 3 songs...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 22, 2009 17:39

I don't have the Universal version of TY yet, but probably I will get it soon.

I don't know why but I always thought that Tattoo You just doesn't work on CD (with the Virgin remaster being only slightly better than the CBS), so I am curious.

I didn't buy the Universal remasters at the date of release first because they were (and still are) very expensive, second because of all the bad critics they received here on IORR -

The other day I wanted to try a couple of the new Beatles remasters, but felt too guilty to get out of the store with only Beatles stuff. So I checked the Stones department, and saw the first four remasters + box at 40 euros. I got those to help me feeling better with myself.

Well, let me tell you: to my complete surprise they sound great! HUGE improvement over the Virgins.

I truly find it hard to believe that I am listening to the same discs that are supposed to be overcompressed, over loud, radio friendly etc etc.

Do we have any news of faulty batches being circulated?

C

Date: October 22, 2009 17:53

Oh.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 22, 2009 18:29

skipstone
Oh.

?

C

Date: October 22, 2009 20:02

They did correct the issue with "Star, Star." The copy of GHS I purchased (UME,not old Virgin or CBS) is not the US censored version I used to have on my Atlantic Records LP.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 22, 2009 20:47

skipstone

Wow.

Regarding outtakes and how it makes the album, consider what is on Exile and Emotional Rescue for that matter. It really is no issue whether it was actually recorded for the album or not, it's more about where it fits. It just so happens that Tattoo You contains, basically, all outtakes of some degree.

I've read somewhere (can't remember now) that the only "new" song on Tattoo You is Neighbours, which I think is my least favourite on the album. Not that I don't like it, there's just so much other brilliant work on it! Outtakes or not... who cares? 10/11 songs on it are amazing and individually enjoyable, plus I think the running order of the LP is also fantastic.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:28

I'm with skipstone on this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 09:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 09:54

Heaven was new as well.

Date: October 23, 2009 10:16

Har harrrrrgggggg Liddas! My 'oh' was my response to Come On's description of why those songs were thumbs down!

Regardless, great motherfucking album!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 23, 2009 14:48

..Tattoo You is just Rolling Stones dynamite.....if only they'd put out something as good now.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 23, 2009 15:31

Come On
skipstone

Wow.

He, It's more that I don't remember those 3 songs...

Amazing,Come On.First rating than listening...did you do that sequence with your
Exile ratings as well ?
eye popping smiley

Date: October 23, 2009 15:57

Come On
You must forgive me but I have to rank it like:
"Start Me Up" - 3:32 thumbs up 4-
"Hang Fire" - 2:20 thumbs up 3+
"Slave" - 6:32 thumbs down 2
"Little T & A" - 3:23 thumbs up 3
"Black Limousine" (Jagger, Richards, Ron Wood) - 3:33 thumbs up 3+
"Neighbours" - 3:33 thumbs up 4-
"Worried About You" - 5:17 thumbs down 2
"Tops" - 3:47 thumbs down 2
"Heaven" - 4:22 thumbs down 2
"No Use in Crying" (Jagger, Richards, Wood) - 3:25 thumbs down 2
"Waiting on a Friend" - 4:34 thumbs up 5

Points 2,91...overrated album so to say smoking smiley

That is a crazy review drinking smiley

Wtf is wrong with Hang Fire, Slave, Little T+A, Worried About You and Tops??? Beats me, they are all stellar tracks...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-23 15:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 23, 2009 16:02

Wtf is wrong with Hang Fire, Slave, Little T+A, Worried About You and Tops??? Beats me, they are all stellar tracks...

Agreed. No sense in wasting money. The album/cd was mixed correctly in the first place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home