Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
eating my words and taking back what i said about the stones universal remasters
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 26, 2009 20:06

well sort of... , some of them are poor *goats head soup & sticky fingers* but today a friend played a few on her stereo *dirty work , some girls, and black and blue* and they sounded really good i was never much of a fan of the dirty work abum but it sounds alot better this time around. i'm very fond of the 1994 virgin remasters for the most part but will defo be buying a few universals.

Re: eating my words and taking back what i said about the stones universal remasters
Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 26, 2009 20:15

I'm happy with my purchase of the complete set. Steel Wheels seems most improved.

Re: eating my words and taking back what i said about the stones universal remasters
Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: August 26, 2009 20:19

cant see how dirtywork can be improved.

its full of crap songs.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 26, 2009 20:26

Sleep Tonight is pretty good.
Fight is a nice listen
Winning Ugly has charm
Had It With You is really great
Too Rude is fun stuff

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 26, 2009 20:33

wee bobby lennox
cant see how dirtywork can be improved.

its full of crap songs.

Remember having read the term "overrated garbage" concerning "Some Girls" (the album,not the sound) couple of weeks ago.

So in this case it´ll be "improved crap",whatever that means.

Cannot agree with the garbage one,but the crap one,hmmm,yes...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 26, 2009 21:58

So does that mean that Dirty Work is a shiny turd?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: August 26, 2009 22:48

sold me....i like DW....don't care if i'm in the minority.

how does the new UNDERCOVER sound?
does your friend have better stereo than you?

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-26 22:49 by sweet neo con.

Date: August 26, 2009 23:14

Do you think Universal will issue something along the lines of the Virgin limited edition LP sleeve style CDs?

You know...so they can sell us the same thing for the 8th time.

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: August 26, 2009 23:35

People have been too critical of these remasters. I have all of them and I'll admit...the Virgin remasters of Sticky Fingers and Goat's Head Soup do sound better....but other than that, the sound has been improved on every album.

Posted by: SeanC ()
Date: August 26, 2009 23:36

yeah Dirty Work has it moments - crank up One Hit, Fight or the title track really loud - seems to do the trick for me!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 27, 2009 01:49

I do the trick with One Hit,Dirty work and Had it with you.
Some good rockin stuff . . !
Plus take Sleep tonight and the Harlem Shuffle mix.
Not too bad!

Date: August 27, 2009 01:54

deuce
People have been too critical of these remasters. I have all of them and I'll admit...the Virgin remasters of Sticky Fingers and Goat's Head Soup do sound better....but other than that, the sound has been improved on every album.
You are very wise! As I said elsewhere, some of the ballads on the 2 CDs you mentioned sound better on the UMG remasters.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:29

deuce
.but other than that, the sound has been improved on every album.

even the later ones like VL, B2B and ABB? Any info would be great!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 27, 2009 08:13

sweet neo con
sold me....i like DW....don't care if i'm in the minority.

how does the new UNDERCOVER sound?
does your friend have better stereo than you?
i've only heard a few songs from the undercover remaster but it's pretty good and yeah she has a killer stereo system compared to mine.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2009 08:38

Lurv that Voodoo remaster it's got a new heart .... Things like Mean Disposition now goes SLAM instead of thud ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 27, 2009 10:24

Undercover remastered got a great punch,sounds damned good.
Can´t compare it to any other CD edition,´cause I´ve only got the vinyl so far.
But if you like it - get it.

Posted by: SeanC ()
Date: August 27, 2009 11:37

so the general concensus is worth getting them??

Date: August 27, 2009 11:57

<cant see how dirtywork can be improved.

its full of crap songs.>

If you like good guitar playing, it's not. The songwriting could have been better though...

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 27, 2009 12:20

Yes pretty much
Despite the fact there is no other addition.
I was surprised by the improvement of the sound on "recent" stuff

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: August 27, 2009 14:17

As was I. Steel Wheels was fully DDD when released in 1989 but it's much better now.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 27, 2009 14:33

The idea that some of the Universal remasters might be "better" than others is really amusing to me. They were all remastered by the same person, using the same technology, and with the same attention to detail.

Drew

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 27, 2009 15:18

drewmaster
The idea that some of the Universal remasters might be "better" than others is really amusing to me. They were all remastered by the same person, using the same technology, and with the same attention to detail.

Drew

The age of the masters and their good or bad conservation makes the difference.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: August 27, 2009 16:31

The Universal remaster of Undercover sounds great. The clarity between all players, and the kick of Charlie's drums has me hooked. I've been listening to Too Tough on repeat for a fortnight since I picked the CD up. The censorship of @#$%& aside, these remasters are great. They are clearly louder and brighter, which can be fatiguing, but the clarity and punch is very welcome.

Date: September 1, 2009 03:56

Just purchased the Universal remaster of Undercover. Sounds good!
Not sure why CBS couldn't have made it sound this good.

I have most of the ABKCO SACDs.....and all of the Virgin up thru Tattoo You.

So now that I have UM's Undercover..I will probably get the UM remasters up thru Steel WHeels.

FYI: I don't think this was advertised in the sales ad but BEST BUY is selling many of the
Stones UM remasters for $7.99 (reg price $13.99). Off the top of my head I remember
Undercover, Steel Wheels, Jump Back, Sticky FIngers, SOme Girls, IORR etc.... but
Dirty Work and others weren't part of the sale (maybe next week? or last week??)

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 1, 2009 07:14

I may have to re-evaluate my impressions of the early-80s output, then. So, "Undercover" sounds good now? I didn't buy the earler CD version, just the LP. How about "Emotional Rescue"? I also only have that on LP.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 1, 2009 09:20

'The idea that some of the Universal remasters might be "better" than others is really amusing to me. They were all remastered by the same person, using the same technology, and with the same attention to detail.'

You mean Bob Ludwig is really Stephen Marcussen? I can't even remember who did the CBS transfers (I'm not at home so I can't look and I doubt there's really anything on the internet about it - at least at 1:20 in the morning, meaning, I don't feel like searching right now).

And..."Not sure why CBS couldn't have made it sound this good."

Really? The fact that they took the vinyl masters and just made them digital might not have ANYTHING to do with it? Or, in a more simple way, that the technology was not understood at the time because no one had figured it out yet, how to get CDs to sound like the original vinyl masters for CD. That's all been explained quite well over the years, I find it difficult to believe that you'd think such a thing of that era. The Beatles CDs that are soon to be or are now out of print are a fantastic example of that very same issue that CBS had with the Stones catalogue.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 1, 2009 13:32

bassplayer617
I may have to re-evaluate my impressions of the early-80s output, then. So, "Undercover" sounds good now? I didn't buy the earler CD version, just the LP. How about "Emotional Rescue"? I also only have that on LP.

After switching back and forth between the Virgin and UMG editions of Emotional Rescue, it's my opinion that there's not a dramatic difference. Just like with the others, the UMG CD is louder and Charlie's drum work is clearer and stronger, but not at the expense of other instruments.

If you already own the Virgin edition of Emotional Rescue, I think you only need to upgrade if you're one of those people that needs the latest and greatest no matter what. You'll know if you fit that category. It's certainly not a dramatic improvement like on It's Only Rock 'N Roll.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 1, 2009 19:02

One reason to get Sticky Fingers:
There is (almost) no distortion on the vocals on Sway (very obvious on the Virgin CD)

The first overall impression is that the whole album sounds slightly better too!

Date: September 1, 2009 19:30

skipstone

Really? The fact that they took the vinyl masters and just made them digital might not have ANYTHING to do with it? Or, in a more simple way, that the technology was not understood at the time because no one had figured it out yet, how to get CDs to sound like the original vinyl masters for CD. That's all been explained quite well over the years, I find it difficult to believe that you'd think such a thing of that era. The Beatles CDs that are soon to be or are now out of print are a fantastic example of that very same issue that CBS had with the Stones catalogue.

why the attitude??

There were plenty of great sounding CDs that came out in the mid '80s...... CCR's Chronicles comes to mind.
Not all of them sounded as muddy & one dimensional as the 1st Stones Abkco releases or the Stones' CBS cds.

My point...even with it being a new technology in the mid eighties...it doesn't take a genius audio engineer to know that
remastering from original sources to a new technology will sound better than xeroxing what had been done on old technology.

Posted by: LastStopThisTown ()
Date: September 1, 2009 22:11

FYI - the same guy (stephen m...) has also remastered EXILE...
I wonder guess Don Was was just working on the b-sides.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home