Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

a brief first impression of the albums as you remember them upon release
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 12, 2009 11:55

In responce to some peoples ''I'm a bigger than fan than you because'' comments, here's a little teaser for you.
If you were around when the albums were released , post a small comment about its first impression on you
1 The Rolling Stones, came out when I was in secondary school, My first introduction the American R&B and Blues music, looks good just a plain photo on the front cover, play it constantly.I'm hooked.
2 The Rolling Stones No 2 A little aprehension , will it be as good, sure it is, can be argued betwen mates that it is a better album, still no writing on the front cover.
3 Out Of Our Heads Love it straight away, I like the familiar formula, for some reason they play it all the time at Butlins Holiday Camp in Pwllheli that Summer, where Me and some of My mates are working during the school holidays, Happy days indeed.
4 Aftermath,This is not so imidiate, more pop infuence , a more British sound even,does not sustain my interest like the others.
5 Between The Buttons,First doubts about my taste start now , after all by this time I have discovered John Lee Hooker and Jimmy Reed not to mention Elmore and Chuck, so this was not a favourite and remains so till this day.
6 Satanic Majesties Request, Quircky though not unlistenable effort, soon tire of it.
7 Beggars Bnquet, Amazing this just blows me away, I am working now in London and it is just so right for my time of life , after the dissapointments of the previous three albums, I am re hooked.
8 Let It Bleed, Even better, this became my favourite album instantly and stil is.
9 Get Yer Ya Yas Out, Loved it from the start, consistency now with releases, I now know why I' a fan.
10 Stickt Fingers, A music paper at the time carried the headline about this album ''Stones, Quite simply the best' and I couldn't have put it better myself.
11 Exile On Main Street, Not as imidiate as 'Fingers , grows and grows on me, still does.
12 Goats Head Soup, This one is different because I see them at Wembley before I buy the album and can't get Starf@cker on th the turntable quickly enough when I do buy it, kind of coloured my view of the album.
13 It's Only Rock And Roll, Decent enogh effort,nothing special
14 Black And Blue ,Hated it at first, love it now.
15 Some Girls A far more listenable album than a couple of its predecessors, good stuff.
16 Emotional Rescue, An odd album I think, blows hot and cold, sometimes love sometimes hate it.
17 Tattoo You, Loved it from the start to finish.
18 Undercover Not I must admit a grabber when I first heard it, not one of their best efforts.
19 Dirty Work, I prefer this album to the last one , don't know why, a few more Keith influenced items maybe.
20 Steel Wheels, I liked this a lot when it first came out , I think mainly due to the time span fron Dirty Work.
21 Voodoo Lounge, Came out same year as my son was born, played it to bits in the car, so I'm quite fond of this one still.
22 Bridges To Babylon, Bought this on holiday in Florida, so always be assosiated with good times.
23 A Bigger Bang, To be honest I've never taken to this album, some good sonns some not.
As for the other live albums I can't remember bying one on release, always a while later.
1 Love You Live, only bought it for the El Mocambo side ,the rest of has however grown on me over the years.
2 Still Life ,A lways thought this a tame release.
3 Flashpoint , Initially thought it a good momento of the SW/UJ Tour, then I got Atlantic City and have rarely played it since.
4 Stripped, Now I love this album and everthing about it's concept , the Tv doc and all.
5 No Security Better than I expected ,though nothing special
6 Live Licks This is just another so called live album.
7 Shine A light Played it once.
I don't expect everybody to agre with these brief comments but they are only my opinions and they are honest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-12 14:41 by adotulipson.

Re: a briief first impression of the albums as you remember them upon release
Date: October 12, 2009 12:08

Great, great post. So glad to read it. You might be one of the very few who can write about every album, and your own impressions upon release. I definitely can not hang with you in that respect, but must agree with most your assessments except "Buttons". That was my first Stones album, and IMO is one of their gems.
I can remember my first thoughts on most albums when I first got them, but it was of course way past release.
I wish I could have 'known' the Stones in '65.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: October 12, 2009 12:17

Well, the first album to come out when I was alive was dirty work, I was 2.
The only album to ever get released when I had any real interest in the Stones was A bigger bang. kinda sad uh..

-TomR

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2009 12:41

What a career - with so few studio albums...I just realised.

Date: October 12, 2009 14:08

FEW studio albums??

Re: a brief first impression of the albums as you remember them upon release
Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 23:58

A Bigger Bang - They are back and I remember saying it isn't their best but a lot of bands half the boys age should have that kind of energy

Bridges - It took a while for this one to grow on me. Did not like it at first listen

Voodoo Lounge - I actually said that this was their best work since Some Girls and I still feel that way

Steel Wheels - Just excited to have something new from the Stones. I really thought after Dirty Work it was over. Never mind that I don't care for the album that much now when it came out I was enamored with it especially Mixed Emotions which I still like.

Dirty WOrk - I'd heard the take of harlem Shuffle and thought it was a fun song then I went out and got the album - last album I bought on vinyl! Put it on was imeediately blown away by One Hit to the body and then after that it was all down hill I was like this album sucks!! And I still feel it is their weakest album BY FAR!.

Undercover, Tattoo You and Some Girls - I liked all when they came out but can't remember specifically. I'm not old enough to recall anything prior to that I started liking the Stones around 1977 just before Some Girls came out I was 13.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:09

Slew, you were "like this album sucks"? Well then what were you really thinking?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:11

Maybe my mind was in the gutter!!! I really do not like Dirty work.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:13

adotulipson: great post: It's nice to know there are other [ahem] "mature" smiling smiley Stones fans who have also been there for pretty much the whole ride. I mostly agree with your assesments too. And, while it is/was a ''hits'' album, I'd have to add High Tide, Green Grass as an album I couldn't get enough of during my later teen years.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:32

Next to "High Tide, Green Grass" is "Trough The Past Darkly" very important records if you start to like the Stones back then

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:36

gmanp
adotulipson: great post: It's nice to know there are other [ahem] "mature" smiling smiley Stones fans who have also been there for pretty much the whole ride. I mostly agree with your assesments too. And, while it is/was a ''hits'' album, I'd have to add High Tide, Green Grass as an album I couldn't get enough of during my later teen years.

Not a problem gmanp, after all being ahem mature is just fine , we are on a mature bands site.

Glad the thread has been picked up by a few people, was begining to think no one had any memories of buying albums by The Rolling Stones.

No need to have been around for all of them just your recallections of the ones that YOU bought at the time of their release

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: October 14, 2009 00:58

Some Girls - First one I bought. Didn't get it. Boy I do now!
Emotional Rescue - Profoundly disappointed initially. Several hundred listenings later, I'm not so disappointed.
Tattoo You - The first new Stones album I both bought and loved immediately.
Undercover - Bought it upon release. Very disappointed. I kinda like it now, but only kinda.
Dirty Work - Never bought it, literally or figuratively.
Steel Wheels - So happy to have the Stones back. I loved it then and still do.
Voodoo Lounge - Initially liked it. Haven't listened to it in over a decade now. Didn't like the production and Wyman is sorely missed!
Bridges To Babylon - Didn't like it. Still don't. It never has sounded like a unified album of songs to me.
A Bigger Bang - Bought it immediately. Not a bad effort, but that's about as much praise as I can summon up for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 01:00 by From4tilLate.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:59

Some Girls - I was four going on 5. Used to sing the Miss You Chorus.

Emotional Rescue - I don't remember anything about this album at the time. I do remember lots of other stuff being released by other artist (I was a musical sponge working things out on our family piano at a very early age), but I don't recall hearing a single track of this played back in the day. In fact, I was completely unaware of its existance until I rented an old copy of Rewind from the local video store in '87 (grade 9).

Tattoo You, now I DO remember this being played on cottage turntables ALL SUMMER LONG! I was taking tennis and golf lessons as a kid in Muskoka, lots of swimming, lots of boats, and lots of Stones that year! My first real introduction to this other group my sister obsessed over next to The Beatles (whom I loved more than the Stones right until grade 10).

Still Life - yes, I do remember this coming out. I remember knowing the (snicker) Hot Rocks 'versions' of the songs (hey, I was little) Under My Thumb and Let's Spend the night together. First live album I ever can remember hearing from start to finish. I was really surprised at the spped and energy of the live material - and it clicked... bands don't always have to play their songs just like their records if they didn't want to!!

Undercover - I only remember the 3 videos. My oldet sister had left the house, along with her huge vinyl collection. All those young years soaking up The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd came to an end in '83, and wouldn't continue until I started agressively buying tapes of my own in '87. She Was Hot was my favourite!

Dirty Work - I remember the video for Harlem shuffle and the laughbly ugly album cover. That's it. I'd thought they'd broken up the year before since I vivdly remember Dancing in the Streets and hearing 'Just Another night a LOT on the radi othe year before. Mick was the Stones for me. I didn't even know the names of the others until '87 or so (I knew one of them was called Keith). I remember picking it up in the record store and the guy saying... I wouldn't buy that, it's horrible. The Stones are, like, so over.

Steel Wheels - I was 15 going on 16. I`d concluded that I had a new favourite band! I was collecting tapes at the time, and some vinyl. I`d bought every Stones tape I could put my hands on (from what I could afford), and I was already getting vinyl bootlegs! Let`s face it, `89 was about the tour, and Steel Wheels was my first large-scale concert ever. I couldn`t believe tickets were thirty five dollars!!! But I`ll never forget that concert for the rest of my life. I even cried a bit in joy. I`d hopped a train for Montreal to visit camp friends, and after partying in the pubs (this was Quebec where the legal drinking age is just a suggestion) we found a store selling Steel Wheels 3 days before the street date!!! We went to my friends house to put it on...
It was... okay. There was something missing though. It didn`t sound cool & dangerous like the earlier stuff. Too glossy. Adults were hailing it like the holy grail. The was me, Gen-Xer, developing a distrust for myopic opinions of the Baby Boomer Rock Press.

Flashpoint - I think I liked this better than the Steel Wheels album. The vocal overdubs on JJF & Satisfaction were very, very obvious. Highwire and Sexdrive we so-so, but unimportant.

Voodoo Lounge - it`d been a big five years for me, I was 20 now. Grunge ruled rock. Wandering Spirit kicked anything the Stones had done for years. I was in my first Stones cover band! We'd taped Love is Strong off the radio and played it at a gig before the LP came out! Now I was really pumped for the `return to their rock sound`. All the review clippings had only 4 of them pictured. Why wasn`t Daryll in the shots? Oh well. Love Is Strong was getting a lot of play... and we all thought it sounded a bit too close to 'Wicked As it Seems'. The rest of the album sounded over-all better than Steel Wheels, and there are some tracks I still really like. But it was a bit too long with some stinkers on it (I'm looking at you, Sweethearts Together). Still, Thru and Thru was Keith's shining moment! I remember the tour hype was HUGE!

Stripped - an over-all pleasant listen, but too many ballads, and a lot of it was too underplayed, especially on Jagger's part.

Bridges to Babylon - my (now ex) wife called me to the radio, they were about to play the new single. My stomach dropped. This sucked balls - hard. A rap part? Really??? Thank goodness for Saint of Me and Out of Control... the rest sounded contrived and stale with a layer of over-production.

No Security - I was drooling over the tracklist - I'd first joined an online community that posted it. I was impressed! I though in all cases the Bridges stuff sounded better live than on the album (especially Out of Control).

The 4 new `Licks`. A bunch of buddys and I smoking up after a comedy performance. Don`t Stop comes on. `Generic`` was the term. I bought the compilation for the new songs... Key`s to You Love was the last straw, and I admit jaded me to a lot of Boomer acts cranking out stuff past their prime.

Live Licks - Disc One was bland, with better versions of all songs found elsewhere. Disc 2, however, has some of their best live stuff they`ve put out in a long time. Still... why was each disc so short?? Surely they could have crammed on more stuff on each disk! The glaring flaw of disc 2 is that akward edit in Rocks Off. I thought "what the hell? Why??"

A Bigger Bang - no longer amount of time between albums had ever happened. This was their 'return to their roots' album (haven't we heard this before). I was driving in the car when I heard 'Rough Justice'. Meh... sounded an awful like 'You Got Me Rocking'. I think I've heard the whole album no more than 5 times. I thought 'well at this rate it's probably their last album'. Rain Fall Down was my favourite, but the rest just didn't resonate.

Shine a Light - eesh! Um... there`s a 3 song sweet spot on Disc 1, but this was the first time I seriously thought they should re-think their approach to songs. Still... I found the version of Paint It Black better than the Flashpoint one.

Now the Stones are and likely always will be my favourite group. But, having been bron in 1973, I`m well aware that they were at their very, very best before I was born. Such is the dilema of most Gen-X classic rock lovers.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 02:01 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 14, 2009 04:37

a few first impressions
ROLLING STONES, NOW - Awesome..gotta get it!! Immediately.
STILL LIFE - songs don't sound like studio versions. spent hours trying to win it from a radio station.
STICKY FINGERS - CYHMK & Sway blew me away...was already familiar w/Brown Sugar etc..
LET IT BLEED - Monkey Man!!!!!
TATTOO YOU - SMU adrenaline rush
UNDERCOVER - where;s the hit single? but still love it.
LOVE YOU LIVE - side 3 baby!!!
EXILE - Whoa! Excellent.
GOT LIVE (US version) - expected better quality recording.
A BIGGER BANG - maybe if I keep listening to it, Jagger's lyrics will get better. Nope.

IORR............but I like it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1511
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home