Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
x
Posted by: gohabs ()
Date: May 30, 2010 05:28

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-06-08 04:34 by gohabs.

Re: Are you Stones fans or critics?
Posted by: redsock ()
Date: May 30, 2010 08:07

Why must people support something 100% or 0%? That is nonsense to most adults.

Think about your wife or husband or partner or best friend. Do you like every single thing about him or her 100% of the time? ... If not, "get real" and "get a new hobby", right?

Some people are able to discuss and analysis songs/albums/etc. on a more sophisticated level than "OMG every stones song is the best one they ever did!11!!"

That is a good thing.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: May 30, 2010 10:14

gohabs
Get real people!

After all these years, if you are a critic, you should find a new hobby, maybe Nirvana? Oh thats right they don't exist anymore. (They sucked anyway)

I am a Stones fan! I am happy for what ever songs they will release.
I don't buy all the over priced stuff.
I was overjoyed that I could buy just the new EOMS songs at Target.

Get this people; This band is not going to last forever!
Enjoy it while you still have it!

Keep it simple stupid!

Remember this "We owe it all to the old Blues Men, and the Almighty".

I know it's only rock and roll but I like it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I love the Stones and I will not participate in your version of IORR where everyone chants "The Stones can never do wrong! They are the best!" and use exclamation points everywhere. But if you wanna make it stupid simple...go ahead.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:20

Gohabs, good you bring this subject up. And you are right. We should be cool and take the band and the fact that they are still around as a gift.
But because they are so alive and active (their last band recordbreaking tour is just 4 years ago!) we as their fans are active and alive too.
And being this we sure talk about everything that matters.
Positive things and negative things.
WE love them.
And people who love somebody are more sensible about the beloved subject than anybody else.
So any reaction or opinion here - good or bad, negative or positive - is a form of pure dedication to the Stones.
Simple as that.
And thats´s good.
That´s very ok.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:21

redsock

Think about your wife or husband or partner or best friend. Do you like every single thing about him or her 100% of the time?

Nope, but I don't discuss and analyse that on a more sophisticated level every time.
Sometimes I simply keep my mouth shut and accept them for what they are ... great people.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:35

I don't think that fandom and criticism interfere with each other.

Everything else is just nonsens like a flock of sheep.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:37

redsock
Think about your wife or husband or partner or best friend. Do you like every single thing about him or her 100% of the time?

no, but i don't nag on and on and on about what i don't like about them.
some people around here don't seem to do anything else, and it's a genuine drag -
and it's not worth anything as "criticism" either if they never talk about what's beautiful

if the "critics section" around here would make a point of equal time posting about what they love
that would be a great gift ... and way more Stoned

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:45

with sssoul
redsock

no, but i don't nag on and on and on about what i don't like about them.
some people around here don't seem to do anything else, and it's a genuine drag -
and it's not worth anything as "criticism" either if they never talk about what's beautiful

if the "critics section" around here would make a point of equal time posting about what they love
that would be a great gift ... and way more Stoned

thumbs up

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:48

i don't follow any religion and i won't start now that i am 44 to follow the stones church.
They are the greatest band in the world, they made me laugh, cry, be happy, free etc etc, but if there is something i don't like about them i will always tell it. I cannot see the problem

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 30, 2010 11:48

I'm just sittin' on a fence
You can say I got no sense
Trying to make up my mind
Really is too hard I find
So I'm sittin on a fence

i belive some here can be too hard on the band but i also belive a person has a right to criticize as well

so what can a poor boy do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 14:27 by ghostryder13.

Posted by: Virtual_Nobody ()
Date: May 30, 2010 12:47

Gohabs

I'm first of all a fan since 1965, i will always be a fan.
But i'm also critical
I think a lot of things they do these days i would have done differently
like opening the vaults
I don't go to their concerts anymore because I think that they are not that good anymore and i have seen them lots of times so i can compare.
That is my own personal opinion that i will not force on any one else
Being a fan is your own choice, there are no rules to that
But it doesn't mean you have to be a blind fanatic
The Stones are also human and can make mistakes
So be it
I don't like the exile bonus tracks, i think they have been tampered with and lost their authenticity
Did i buy the disc , yes i did because i think the bonus disc is a good jagger solo album.

This is my 2 cents to the discussion

I stick to my opinion and will always be fan
By the way maybe age has something to do with it, im 55
Oh and yes, stones music will be played on my funeral (because i will always be a fan)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 12:48 by Virtual_Nobody.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:02

These well-known Critics they never seen to get an invite to a Movie premiere or a Concert they always seen to invite themselves for some reason. (gee.. I wonder why that is?) ya..wouldnt want to be sitting beside one of them at a Stones concert they would be enough to put anyone on a downer. smoking smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:14

Both..but more a fan...bit critic won't harm

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:14

wow virtual you were already a fan at 10!

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:33

colonial
These well-known Critics they never seen to get an invite to a Movie premiere or a Concert they always seen to invite themselves for some reason. (gee.. I wonder why that is?) ya..wouldnt want to be sitting beside one of them at a Stones concert they would be enough to put anyone on a downer. smoking smiley
Inviting a Critic to a movie premiere would be like having the Grim Reefer sitting in the audience

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:37

Yeah them grim reefers will knock ya thoughts around every time....Friggin' hard ta light too

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Virtual_Nobody ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:41

Yes

it all started with Satisfaction
That was my first single
You can't start with a better one i think
Can still remember hearing that one for the first time on the radio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 13:41 by Virtual_Nobody.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 30, 2010 13:41

<Get real people!

After all these years, if you are a critic, you should find a new hobby, maybe Nirvana? Oh thats right they don't exist anymore. (They sucked anyway)>

We got the Jones,Taylor & Wood era
To compare them makes this board interesting imo.
Get real indeed!

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 30, 2010 17:46

gohabs
Get real people!
After all these years, if you are a critic, you should find a new hobby, maybe Nirvana? Oh thats right they don't exist anymore. (They sucked anyway)

what a twat

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 30, 2010 18:08

redsock
Why must people support something 100% or 0%? That is nonsense to most adults.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. I mean it. I'm so tired of these so called "fans" thinking
everything they (The Stones) do should be worshipped. In general, it's simply dangerous to
blindly accept whatever is fed to you. These people strike me more as groupies or cult members.
To say that you can't question anything they do is just so ridiculous that it's difficult for rational minds
to understand.

I also agree with WITH SSOUL that there are some here that make a sport of ripping everything....but
for some reason they don't bother me nearly as much as the people in the permanently rose-colored glasses.
At least the the full-time critcs who are (or must have been fans at some time) are able to have opinions and
aren't just a bunch of lemmings.

there's probably about 10 IORRers that get on their soapbox and demand that IF YOU ARE A FAN YOU
MUST LOVE EVERYTHING..AND SHOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR WHATEVER THE STONES DECIDE
TO "GIVE" US. I don't take them seriously..to me they've lost any credibility as a fan with brain cells.

Just curious...(as redsock also pointed out)...is this the way you are in other aspects of your life too?
Strange.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2010 20:49

Should we be the mindless fan site that this poster would prefer I suggest some of threads would be as follows:

"Mick or Keith, Who Is Cuter?"
"What Kind of Shampoo Did Brian Use?"

Seriously, the small group here which confuse any criticism or serious discussion with lack of loyalty amazes me. debate, discussion (even of a passionate kind) are what make being a fan fun. Yes, sometimes we get too serious, but I would rather have that than bland idol-worship.

And Nirvana "sucked"? Really? Curious as to which other artists the poster prefers.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 30, 2010 20:56

Seems to me that you define a critic as something always negative. Don't see how one can separate being a fan and also critical.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:02

I'm both!

I'm free minded enough to criticize my fav. band.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:05

I am a fan. But I am not going to sit here and worship everything they've ever done some of their work is real crap for the caliber of band that they are. Everyone can criticize something that they don't like.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: May 30, 2010 21:09

Keith is a big fan of chuck berry but is not always pleased with him.

"qui aime bien chatie bien"

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:05

My favorite , but dated, line on music critics. "Most critics like Elvis Costello because they look like him"

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:10

doubledoor
My favorite , but dated, line on music critics. "Most critics like Elvis Costello because they look like him"

A good line, but in the case of EC the critics were right. He turned out to be every bit as good as the early hype, and has had an abundant and brilliant career - even if it has sometimes gone down some side roads that were not as satisfactory as other things he has done. Like him or not, he's an example of an artist that had commercial success, but kept his artistic integrity and has managed to do exactly what he wants.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 22:13 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 30, 2010 22:36

don't feed the trolls

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 30, 2010 23:12

71Tele
Should we be the mindless fan site that this poster would prefer I suggest some of threads would be as follows:

"Mick or Keith, Who Is Cuter?"
"What Kind of Shampoo Did Brian Use?"

Seriously, the small group here which confuse any criticism or serious discussion with lack of loyalty amazes me. debate, discussion (even of a passionate kind) are what make being a fan fun. Yes, sometimes we get too serious, but I would rather have that than bland idol-worship.

thank you.

and it probably goes without saying.....(actually maybe it should be said).....if it is not being criticized, odds are
it's because it is something we like. Ex. If the Stones produce 50 albums and someone thinks DIRTY WORK sucks
and is animated about its suckiness...it's likely he's a fan of the other 49...cuz if he wasn't he'd say so.

A forum like this should not be a circle -jerk with everyone agreeing about everything..that would be boring.
Just as in real life..if everyone was the same with the same opinion. Do we really want threads like "Who's your favorite Stone?"

Like 71Tele, I also tire of the IORRers that apparently still subscribe to TeenBeat magazine and think
Keith is dreamy..or wonder about the size of Mick's member....or think they all hang out together like The MOnkees tv show.

I think the people that truly critique each thing the Stones produce (and NOT as a sport) might be the
ones that have a truer understanding of their history and their potential........they know what Mick is capable of so they
will enthusiastically exclaim how much the song LET'S WORK sucks! winking smiley

People that can be critical of things they love...are probably more appreciative of what they have.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-30 23:16 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 30, 2010 23:25

I love the Stones' music for the most part, it's meant a lot to me over the decades. But they're a product, and I'm a consumer - and I'm cetainly not a blind one. If something they do or release seems bogusly overpriced - no way. Same with tickets. If they or any solo members come out with a crap album, I'll say so and not buy it.

Is it a 'gift' that thery're still around? I see it more as them being a 'gift shop that doesn't close'

One more thing... they've never 'given' me a thing, except the choice of whether or not to pay for what they're offering me.

Case in point - the new Exile songs.
I heard the moaning and bitching about this and that and decided to wait to hear them myself. I loved Plundered My Soul, and the video for Following the River sealed the deal. I'm now happy to enjoy 9/10 of these tracks. (Soul Survivor is arbitrary, unimportant Keith mumbling along to a song I much prefer with Jagger).

I chose to buy it though.
I ignored the similar Ya-Ya's thing from last year completely though - didn't interest me - still doesn't after hearing and seeing the whole thing.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1682
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home