Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Love You Live - info on overdubs?
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:02

So this is probably my least favorite of all Stones records. I have also always understand it's likely chock full of overdubs. Now a bad live record in its original form is one thing, but one covered in overdubs is even less legitimate to me. So does anybody have a breakdown of how much and where this record is overdubbed? I pretty much have this info on Ya-Yas, No Security, Still Life, etc. But I have always wondered how much of the honest performance of these shows made if onto the actual "LYL" record. Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Love You Live - info on overdubs?
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:06

i i remember reading in rolling stone many yrs ago that the explosions heard before sympathy for the devil were cherry bombs overdubbed in the studio

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:08

It's both easy and interesting to compare, oneself - since the recordings of all these shows used (Toronto/Los Angeles 1975 London/Paris 1976) are available in it's entirely in great quality.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:09

ghostryder13
i i remember reading in rolling stone many yrs ago that the explosions heard before sympathy for the devil were cherry bombs overdubbed in the studio

These bomb-sounds were taken from MSG 1975, unless I'm mistaken

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:17

Date: September 17, 2009 22:27

Thanks everybody for the links/feedback.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 17, 2009 22:53

WEIRD! I almost started a thread on this same subject this very morning. I'd been listening to LYL while walking and noticed Mick's voice seems hoarse and clipped throughout NOT like he'd have overdubbed it but rather how he sounded live. Also heard a few bum notes from Keith.

Date: September 17, 2009 23:01

R
WEIRD! I almost started a thread on this same subject this very morning. I'd been listening to LYL while walking and noticed Mick's voice seems hoarse and clipped throughout NOT like he'd have overdubbed it but rather how he sounded live. Also heard a few bum notes from Keith.

Ha, what a coincidence! Anyway, I was always kind of the understanding that Mick did overdub several vocals in this manner, but presumably sang like that the keep it more consistent w/the actual live performance. I see the reasoning, but why even bother? And hell, Keith was so strung out on junk at the time, it wouldn't surprise me if the guy was even hitting bum notes on the overdubs!

I need to go dig through my old crate full of cdr boots and check out some of the recordings from that tour. Too bad none of them (as I recall anyway) have the sound quality of LYL.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:07

Maybe I've not been looking in the right place(s) - is there a website that talks about all of these albums? I've seen the one on Ya-Ya's but not anything else.

Date: September 17, 2009 23:25

skipstone
Maybe I've not been looking in the right place(s) - is there a website that talks about all of these albums? I've seen the one on Ya-Ya's but not anything else.

Well there's the one website (Time is on their side, is that what it is called?) that has excellent breakdowns of "Ya-Ya's" and "No security", but I believe it is only those 2 records.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 17, 2009 23:53

from www.nzentgraf.de:

770525A 25th May - at least 20th June: New York City, Atlantic Studios.
Mixing, overdubbing and editing of the double album Love You Live.
First with all five Stones, later only with MJ & KR. Producer: The Glimmer Twins.
Sound engineers: Keith Harwood, Ron Nevison, Eddie Kramer.
First cuts considered for Love You Live:
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) Paris 5.6.76
- If You Can’t Rock Me-Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) -London 26.5.76
- Hand Of Fate (MJ/KR) -London 26.5.76
- Hey Negrita (MJ/KR) -Paris 7.6.76
- Ain’t Too Proud To Beg (Norman Whitfield/Eddie Holland) -Paris 5.6.76
- Fool To Cry (MJ/KR) -Paris 5.6.76
- Hot Stuff (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76
- Star Star (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76
- Fingerprint File (MJ/KR) -San Francisco 16.7.75
- Fingerprint File (MJ/KR) -Toronto 17.6.75
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis) -Paris 5.6.76
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Paris 7.6.76
- Happy (MJ/KR) -Paris 5.6.76
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -Paris 7.6.76
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -London 5/76
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -London 5/76
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -London 5/76
- Fingerprint File (MJ/KR) -Cleveland 14.6.75
Final cuts which made it on the Love You Live-album:
- Intro (Fanfare For The Common Man) -Paris 5.6.76, original
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -Paris 5.6.76; reworked
- If You Can’t Rock Me-Get Off Of My Cloud (MJ/KR) -London 27.5.76; original
- Happy (MJ/KR) -Paris 5.6.76; reworked
- Hot Stuff (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76; reworked
- Star Star (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76; reworked
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -Paris 7.6.76; reworked
- Fingerprint File (MJ/KR) -Toronto 17.6.75; reworked
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowell/Rev. Gary Davis) -Paris 5.6.76; original
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Paris 7.6.76; reworked
-Mannish Boy (McKinley Morganfield/Ellas McDaniel/Mel London) -Toronto
4. or 5.3.77; reworked
- Crackin’ Up (Ellas McDaniel) -Toronto 4. or 5.3.77; reworked
- Band introduction -Toronto 4.3.77; probably original
- Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon) Toronto 4. or 5.3.77; reworked
- Around And Around (Chuck Berry) Toronto 4. or 5.3.77; reworked
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll (MJ/KR) Toronto 17.6.75; reworked
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76; reworked
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -Paris 6.6.76; reworked
- Sympathy For The Devil (MJ/KR) -Los Angeles 9.7.75; reworked

Date: September 18, 2009 00:15

Thanks for the info, midnrambler. Jeez, I knew a lot of tracks had been reworked but I didn't realize it was nearly ALL of them. Again, I have to wonder, why even bother? That is unless the overdubs/edits were only slight. But it sounds to me as if they might as well just cut the tracks in the studio and overdubbed audience noise. Instead we got the opposite - live audience noise with overdubbed music.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:39

Well, the information above is not very specific, and I have not sat down and analyzed LYL compared to the boots. But, I suspect that, other than vocal overdubs, most of the "reworking" was editing parts of the song out, not adding. For example, the LYL versions of You Can't Always Get What You Want, Fingerprint File and Sympathy are all considerably shorter than the actual performances used for LYL.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:40

theimposter
skipstone

Well there's the one website (Time is on their side, is that what it is called?) that has excellent breakdowns of "Ya-Ya's" and "No security", but I believe it is only those 2 records.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:47

That's only cause in those times the Stones (and esp. Keith) were still embarrassed by their mistakes and therefore wanted to do something about it!

But for us fans it shouldn't be that important cause from some very good boots from 75/76 you can hear that they still could rock any place!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:50

THOSE times? what about modern times? what was the quote from bob clearmountain (i think it was him) regarding trying to mix the Live Licks album?

Date: September 18, 2009 00:57

T&A
THOSE times? what about modern times? what was the quote from bob clearmountain (i think it was him) regarding trying to mix the Live Licks album?

I thought he defended the mixing/editing of Live Licks, explaining the 'Street Fighting Man' vocal overdub as due to a microphone problem, and more or less brushing off altogether that horrid cut in 'Rocks Off'

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 18, 2009 00:59

theimposter
T&A

I thought he defended the mixing/editing of Live Licks, explaining the 'Street Fighting Man' vocal overdub as due to a microphone problem, and more or less brushing off altogether that horrid cut in 'Rocks Off'

yeah - but there was something about not the stones not being able to play "x" seconds with a bum note being played....i'm sure gazza remembers this one...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 18, 2009 01:36

I've managed to erase it. Until now. Thanks.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 18, 2009 02:11

"Those times . .?"

NOW Keith is proudly presenting his bum-notes to adoring audiences.
"Good to be here"? It's enough to be here!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 18, 2009 03:27

I've listened to LYL on headphones and it's (mostly) quite easy to spot the vocal overdubs.

I've always thought Honky Tonk Women was purely live. The vocals sound live, they don't have that sharpness (more clear and high end) the overdubs have.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 18, 2009 08:04

some tracks are edited "sftd" is only 6 min.bootleg version 10 min,

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 19, 2009 00:16

[www.hungercity.org]

01 Hand Of Fate
02 Route 66
03 Mannish Boy
04 Crackin' Up
05 Dance Little Sister
06 Around And Around
07 Worried About You
08 Let's Spend The Night Together
09 Band introduction
10 Little Red Rooster
thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2241
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home