Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ABKCO and Albert Maysles shoud release a DVD/CD "The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont"
Posted by: HeatherAnnePeel ()
Date: September 6, 2009 06:14

They really should, and I believe someday it will happen eventually. The footage exists and those who have seen it in it's entirety claim that it is absolutely stunning. The Rolling Stones set at Altamont was the peak of Rock 'n Roll. Music that intense can only be made under equally intense circumstances. They were very literally playing as if their lives depended on it in the California desert that December evening in 1969. Altamont was the defining moment of entertainment and reality blurring. It was Rock's apocalypse. Anyway, as to the Rolling Stones' Altamont performance, I feel it would be the most ultimate concert DVD/CD set, ever. It could even be expanded to include all of the act's performances from 12/6/69, but a must is the Stones' set in it's entirety. It was recorded in 16 track stereo, so transferred to digital would result in an amazing home theater experience. It would also be a perfect historical companion to "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" in it's forthcoming expanded form, as well as the "Gimme Shelter" DVD. When this does happen, it will be the true zenith for many Stones fans. For now, one can hear the whole set here: [captainsdead.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-06 06:37 by HeatherAnnePeel.

Re: ABKCO and Albert Maysles shoud release a DVD/CD "The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont"
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 6, 2009 08:45

they should but does abkco own that footage and soundboard recordings?

Re: ABKCO and Albert Maysles shoud release a DVD/CD "The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont"
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 6, 2009 09:04

At the time when filming Altamont, and bits of the other shows (MSG etc.) the plan was (if my memory serves me right) to make it into a full lenght concert movie, and not a documentary (Gimme Shelter). There's enough footage, so I guess the question is if they whant to make/release it or not. I've always hoped for some more songs from Altamont. Stray Cat Blues would have been cool to hear in good sound, it's IMO their best version ever...

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: September 6, 2009 10:38

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont-SCB Merge.flac

part of it is soundboard

Date: September 6, 2009 11:12

vancouver
[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont-SCB Merge.flac

part of it is soundboard

Thanks! Do you know if this exsist in Mp3 format as well?

Date: September 6, 2009 13:15

if you don't know how to convert it to mp 3..????

you can do it in xp ..

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont-SCB Merge pt .mp3

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 6, 2009 13:35

totally agree.

Ideally Abkco (or whoever the f**k looks after the old catalogue) should have released "3 Shows in the Garden" and given us the 3 soundboard MSG shows from 1969.

But they have a chance to make amends and cobble together the full Altamont show - with pre-acts. This would be brilliant.
And they should hurry before the bootleggers get their hands on the soundboard tape of the Stones show which we have received snippets off from Chris M's great website...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2009 14:24

whilst its to the band's credit, that they didnt quit half way through, Altamont wasnt really that great a show for various and quite obvious reasons.

there are much better musical documents of that tour elsewhere - the 3 MSG shows being the obvious examples.

Date: September 6, 2009 16:08

vancouver
if you don't know how to convert it to mp 3..????
you can do it in xp ..

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont-SCB Merge pt .mp3

Hey, thanks vancouver! I didn't know it was possible -I'm terribly sorry, but I stink when it comes to downloading...hope you didn't have to much trouble finding/making it. Never heard the soundboard part before. Thanks again...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 6, 2009 17:37

Gazza
whilst its to the band's credit, that they didnt quit half way through, Altamont wasnt really that great a show for various and quite obvious reasons.

there are much better musical documents of that tour elsewhere - the 3 MSG shows being the obvious examples.

It depends on your definition of "great". The Zapruder film doesn't provide a particularly good likeness of John F. Kennedy, but it certainly does have great historic value. There is nothing else like it, and there is nothing else like the Rolling Stones at Altamont. Sure, they were "better" at MSG, but the MSG shows just don't have the same "the show must go on even in the jaws of hell" spirit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-06 17:51 by tatters.

Date: September 6, 2009 19:16

here s.t.p

[www.sendspace.com]

Altamont_JJF_Merge Stereo pt .flac

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2009 19:27

tatters
Gazza

It depends on your definition of "great". The Zapruder film doesn't provide a particularly good likeness of John F. Kennedy, but it certainly does have great historic value. There is nothing else like it, and there is nothing else like the Rolling Stones at Altamont. Sure, they were "better" at MSG, but the MSG shows just don't have the same "the show must go on even in the jaws of hell" spirit!

I can see your point, but given the choice I'd rather buy a 'great' show than one of 'historical significance'.

Thankfully, Hyde Park isn't the only released document of the Stones in 1969 - the most significant and famous show of that era it may have been, but I dont think anyone would have been too happy had that performance been officially released as the only live album from their 'golden era'

Date: September 7, 2009 02:37

Gazza
tatters
Gazza

I can see your point, but given the choice I'd rather buy a 'great' show than one of 'historical significance'.

Given a choice, so would I, but I still think the complete, unedited Altamont performance is important enough to deserve an official release.

Date: September 7, 2009 03:07

It definitely warrants a dedicated release, and I think musically it was awesome. Such power and intensity, there's nothing like it. I have thought that since I first saw "Gimme Shelter" over 30 years ago.

Date: September 7, 2009 03:23

The snippet of "Jack Flash" from Altamont at the end of this clip hints at the remainder of the Altamont performance's epic nature:

Whew, this needs to happen, and soon!!!

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 7, 2009 05:14

This is just a small point, but Altamont is in Northern California. There are no deserts in the Bay Area and Livermore. Also, you can count my vote that I'd love to see a DVD of this whole show released someday as well. Keith has said in the past that the gig itself was actually quite good despite the tragic circumstances.
Whenever somebody mentions that Keith isn't a very good or is a simplistic guitar player, I just tell them to listen to the layering he does of his strumming patterns during "Sympathy For The Devil" when the show gets interrupted and then eventually launch back into it. Keith's guitar just starts sounding so incredibly full as he builds things back up.

Date: September 7, 2009 05:50

"Desert" is a relative term, Stanley Booth and I use referring to the barren, unforgiven landscape at Altamont. It's not meant literally. Also, Mick Taylor plays the rhythm during the first part of "Sympathy", not Keith. Keith plays the powerful partial chord riff on his Ampeg Dan Armstrong through the verses and then the first solo. Taylor plays the open chord rhythm and then the second solo on his SG.

Date: September 7, 2009 07:04

"The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont" should be released as a boxed set with a DVD of the Stones' entire set, a second DVD with highlights from the supporting act's sets, a third DVD with footage from the concert site, interviews, radio/TV coverage, photos of the show and the aftermath, etc., and an audio CD of the Rolling Stones' set. It should include a 50-60 page book of color and B&W photos from Ethan Russell, Beth Sunflower and others, as well as essays from Albert Maysles, Stanley Booth, Ethan Russell, Sam Cutler, Chip Monck and others, including members of the Rolling Stones. It should be released in December 2010, to mark the 40 year anniversary of the release of "Gimme Shelter" (December 1970), which should be re-released at the same time, as well. The focus of this box set would strictly be on the musical performances, at least for discs one and two and the audio CD. The third DVD would serve to put the event into historical conext, but not be intended to diminish the documentary aspect of "Gimme Shelter". Another option, if ABKCO and Albert Maysles would prefer, is that the entire package could be a deluxe anniversary release of "Gimme Shelter", with another DVD included of the film itself, along with the discs mentioned earlier.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 07:25 by HeatherAnnePeel.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 7, 2009 12:20

Included with the 3rd DVD should be footage of the construction of the site and the footage the Maysles shot the night before the concert when Keith was walking around chatting to the fans who were drinking and sleeping overnight.

but this is all dream talk....smiling smiley

Date: September 7, 2009 16:40

HeatherAnnePeel
"The Rolling Stones Live At Altamont" should be released as a boxed set with a DVD of the Stones' entire set, a second DVD with highlights from the supporting act's sets, a third DVD with footage from the concert site, interviews, radio/TV coverage, photos of the show and the aftermath, etc., and an audio CD of the Rolling Stones' set. It should include a 50-60 page book of color and B&W photos from Ethan Russell, Beth Sunflower and others, as well as essays from Albert Maysles, Stanley Booth, Ethan Russell, Sam Cutler, Chip Monck and others, including members of the Rolling Stones. It should be released in December 2010, to mark the 40 year anniversary of the release of "Gimme Shelter" (December 1970), which should be re-released at the same time, as well. The focus of this box set would strictly be on the musical performances, at least for discs one and two and the audio CD. The third DVD would serve to put the event into historical conext, but not be intended to diminish the documentary aspect of "Gimme Shelter". Another option, if ABKCO and Albert Maysles would prefer, is that the entire package could be a deluxe anniversary release of "Gimme Shelter", with another DVD included of the film itself, along with the discs mentioned earlier.

Seems far fetched, but only because it's the Stones. If Altamont had been a Who concert, it would have all been released years ago.

Date: September 7, 2009 22:16

I think this will happen at some point. It may not be as lavish as we'd like, but I believe it will happen.

Date: September 8, 2009 05:22

The single DVD (Stones' set) approach would likely be the best way to go, for many reasons. Or perhaps a double DVD set at the most (Stones on one, supporting acts, etc. on the other), plus audio CDs of the Stones' and support act's sets issued separately. Either way, it would not detract from "Gimme Shelter", and still enhance the overall documentation of the event. Time will tell...

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 9, 2009 00:22

I dug out my copy of Gimme Shelter to watch that section again. You're right, Taylor starts the rhythm on the song after they were interrupted, but as it goes along, Keith does layer the rhythm as Taylor provides fills over the top. I just wish the whole song was presented. There's obviously edits in snippets here and there. It is nice, however, to get a basic framework of who does what when you listen to the Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out version of "Sympathy For The Devil" for the first Keith lead notational solo and then the final Taylor notational solo.
To get back on track, is this speculation based on the dinner somebody had with the surviving Mayles brother not terribly long ago? Once somebody mentioned that Mayles said that there was a possibility that more '69 footage held the possibility of getting released, I think a lot of our wishlists went into overdrive-including mine. I just hope it really does become a reality one of these times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home