Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Wandering Spirit is the best Stones album since Tattoo You
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 25, 2010 15:11

Me Myself I is into Bills solo-stuff. Monkey Grip is the best Stones album since 'Let it Bleed'.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 15:11

I got your title. And very good! Too many folks take it literally. It is saying that Mick makes a solo disc that sounded more Stonesy than anything the group was doing. An interesting point and for sure Wandering Spirit is an outstanding album. Finally showed Jagger in total control and embracing what he does best. Writing Stones music!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: May 25, 2010 15:57

VoodooLounge13
bluesinc.
like jaggers solo tour in the 80ies were the blueprint for future Stones tours this records was the blueprint for Voodoo Lounge IMO

I couldn't disagree more......I think Main Offender was the blueprint for Voodoo Lounge, right down to Keith using the same guitars.....

Of all the Stones solo material, Main Offender is always my No. 1, most people here prefer Talk is Cheap, but not as good as this second solo studio record. 'Demon' alone seals the deal for me!

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: May 25, 2010 16:06

Definitely the best solo album by any band member. Goddess is a close second imo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2010 17:04

TrulyMicks
Definitely the best solo album by any band member. Goddess is a close second imo.

Goddess is definitely not a close second to anything, except maybe second to last, (in front of the album with the caracture of Mick with pointy ears - Let's Work indeed!)!

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 17:34

Mick's 1st 2 solo lps I think Mick was trying to hard to distance himself from the Stones. Wandering Spirit is Mick just doing what is more natural.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 25, 2010 17:35

...God Gave Me Everything is better than anything on ABB...

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 25, 2010 17:52

funny....if Kieth and Mick...with some "fairy dust" put both albums together...main offender ...talk is cheap and wondering ...it might have been something......but if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle...
i see the girls dressed up in their summer clothes

Date: May 25, 2010 18:00

...or you mean she'd be your uncle with balls and a dress on.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:15

Keep in mind too that when Wandering Spirit came out, the Stones had already 'rebooted' themselves as the Vegas show, and the stale, lifeless Steel Wheels was the last studio album Mick had given.

Having such a raw return to Mick's prime form was a HUGE surprise and treat! It made me so excited about future Stones albums and tours because I assumed that Mick would take this direction back to the band and that over-slick glossy sheen that was coated over the 89 tour (and pretty much ruined Flashpoint for me)would be gone.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: May 25, 2010 18:27

Rip This
...or you mean she'd be your uncle with balls and a dress on.
yikes.....please no
i saw the winos in 91...best show top ten.....

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 19:39

whitem8
I got your title. And very good! Too many folks take it literally. It is saying that Mick makes a solo disc that sounded more Stonesy than anything the group was doing. An interesting point and for sure Wandering Spirit is an outstanding album. Finally showed Jagger in total control and embracing what he does best. Writing Stones music!

Yeah, that's the way I feel about it. I need to get Keith's solo stuff again too. Once upon a time I had everything the Stones ever officially released on vinyl up until Steel Wheels. They kind of lost me on Voodoo and BTB, not to say that there isn't good stuff on both of them, but it's a different sound IMHO. Undercover is great too, underrated even with its 80's production, I bought that again recently. It's fun to rediscover some of this stuff that I forgot how much I liked. I've been on a Stones kick again lately and it's a good time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 19:42 by JJFlash2010.

Date: May 25, 2010 19:50

JJFlash2010
whitem8

Yeah, that's the way I feel about it. I need to get Keith's solo stuff again too. Once upon a time I had everything the Stones ever officially released on vinyl up until Steel Wheels. They kind of lost me on Voodoo and BTB, not to say that there isn't good stuff on both of them, but it's a different sound IMHO. Undercover is great too, underrated even with its 80's production, I bought that again recently. It's fun to rediscover some of this stuff that I forgot how much I liked. I've been on a Stones kick again lately and it's a good time.

Don't forget to buy GYYYO super deluxe in that case!

Posted by: JJFlash2010 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 20:10

Yes, I better check it out! I always liked Love You Live, maybe they'll do something again with that.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 25, 2010 20:33

Come On
Me Myself I is into Bills solo-stuff. Monkey Grip is the best Stones album since 'Let it Bleed'.

Most of Bill's solo stuff is crap. Stone Alone is ok and Monkey Grip is much better, but Bill is easily the worst, and most uninspired vocalist of all time.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 25, 2010 20:36

To be true, you have to combine Mick (Wandering Spirit, 1993) and Keith (Main Offender, 1992) to find out what the post-SteelWheels/pre-VoodooLounge Stones record would have been like. And also take into consideration whether a song by Ronnie (Slide on This, 1992) would have been included. I guess we can drop Charlie's Charlie Parker tribute...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-25 20:38 by JJHMick.

Date: May 25, 2010 21:42

Come On

LMFAO!

That was phunny!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: May 25, 2010 21:58

Great album. No doubt about it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 25, 2010 22:45

Monkeytonkman
VoodooLounge13
bluesinc.
like jaggers solo tour in the 80ies were the blueprint for future Stones tours this records was the blueprint for Voodoo Lounge IMO

I couldn't disagree more......I think Main Offender was the blueprint for Voodoo Lounge, right down to Keith using the same guitars.....

Of all the Stones solo material, Main Offender is always my No. 1, most people here prefer Talk is Cheap, but not as good as this second solo studio record. 'Demon' alone seals the deal for me!

I prefer Main Offender as well. Truly a great album start to finish....

Date: May 25, 2010 23:58

VoodooLounge13
Monkeytonkman
VoodooLounge13
bluesinc.

I prefer Main Offender as well. Truly a great album start to finish....

It's been so long since I've listened to either, but from recollection, I preferred Talk is Cheap. I remember being blown away by that album at the time.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 26, 2010 00:14

alimente
andy js
Not fit to lick the sleaze off either of Keef's solo efforts

Seems that you never actually listened to it and dismiss the album just because it carries the "Jagger solo" label.

You're not far wrong. I know its shit without owning it. As per my ears listening to the god awful singles

I'd rather shit hot chilli's than listen to that MOR crap again

Posted by: CaledonianGonzo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:01

Put Me In The Trash is worthy, mos def.

Evening Gown is one of Mick's better faux-country ballads as well. It's difficult to imagine someone loving, say, Faraway Eyes, and hating that...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 26, 2010 01:15

THe best songs from Bridges appraently were already written for a follow-up to Wadnering Spirit. Imagine how good THAT album would have been???

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 26, 2010 01:17

"Think" is also great.

"Sweet Thing" is very funky....if you like Miss You or Emotional, you gotta love that track. (well, I guess you don't 'gotta' love anything...BUT YOU SHOULD!)thumbs up

Date: May 26, 2010 02:16

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 26, 2010 02:45

"Don't Tear Me Up"
"Hang On To Me Tonight"
"Put Me In The Trash"
"Evening Gown"

Great, top-drawer stuff...tracks worthy of a Golden-Era Stones album.

Mick turned 50 that year, and I think he wanted to prove that he still had it.

He did.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:14

WS is the best mick jagger album which is not saying much, talk is cheap is easily better

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:50

colonial
The only other musician on Wandering Spirit I know of is Lenny Kravitz..I dont think ive heard of..any of the others.

You've seriously never heard of Billy Preston? Or Flea?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 26, 2010 03:56

Nobody ever mentions the title track - Wandering Spirit - a totally underrated, bluesy gem!

Date: May 26, 2010 04:00

alimente
Nobody ever mentions the title track - Wandering Spirit - a totally underrated, bluesy gem!

Agreed...there is very little to not like on this album.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home