Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Dio/Heaven and Hell
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 12, 2009 09:33

Saw them tonight--very entertaining--Dio is *67* years old and sings and performs like a man in his thirties--enthusiastic, loving to his crowd, a nice sight to see

Re: OT - Dio/Heaven and Hell
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 12, 2009 09:47

Wow! 67! Couldn't believe it, had to verify myself.

Here is a great interview!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 09:49 by BluzDude.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: August 12, 2009 14:40

did you catch the opener, Philip Sayce? he's a friend of mine. amazing guitarist.

Date: August 12, 2009 17:45

izzy--where can I get ahold of that guy's music? or even interview him for my radio show--he was fantastic--blew us away--should have been able to play a full set

Date: August 12, 2009 18:00

--by the way izzy--did he play in ,. etheridge's band for a bit?

Date: August 12, 2009 18:20

He has some tunes at www.myspace.com/philipsayce and http://www.youtube.com/user/philipsayce and www.philipsayce.com (beware music autoloads)

You could try contacting him via his myspace page, I believe he runs that site personally. Or you can follow him at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Sayce/20987831425?ref=nf

He's still playing with Etheridge. He's been with her for a few years though now he's concentrating on his own material. Originally from Toronto, Canada which is where I got to know him. My father discovered him basically, was his first manager, got him his first record deal. So we go a long way back. Real nice guy.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 12, 2009 18:39

Dio - Awsome voice! Awsome band! Not so awsome songs during the Sabbath Dio era.

Example, I saw Jonny Lang a few nights ago. They performed great, but the songs were substandard and not memorable.

Sabbath will always be Ozzy's band, but Dio is the better singer. Ian Gillan is a great singer, but the Sabbath/Gillan period is not memorable.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: August 12, 2009 19:49

trainarollin
Dio - Awsome voice! Awsome band! Not so awsome songs during the Sabbath Dio era.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I thought those first two Sabbath albums with Dio had some amazing songs (Heaven and Hell, Die Young, Neon Knights, Mob rules, Turn up the night, Country Girl etc). Some of the best stuff Dio has been involved in. The Dio solo stuff started well but each album was worse than its predecessor. He isn't to everyones taste but he has some set of lungs on him. Can't believe he is 67!

Date: August 12, 2009 20:14

while i watched him last night i wondered why there isn't more fuss made about his age - jagger gets his rightful props and though dio doesn't run around as much, he does work his butt off, does engage with his fans during the show, sings phenomenally and seems to love every second of what he's doing--at 67!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-12 20:14 by hbwriter.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 12, 2009 20:54

He's the best of the older generation that's still performing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2009 21:04

i saw them two years ago at radio city and they kicked major butt

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: August 12, 2009 21:09

trainarollin

Example, I saw Jonny Lang a few nights ago. They performed great, but the songs were substandard and not memorable.

Sabbath will always be Ozzy's band, but Dio is the better singer. Ian Gillan is a great singer, but the Sabbath/Gillan period is not memorable.

I agree, Black Sabbath was not the same band without Ozzy Osborne as front man / vocalist. Same held true with Ozzy without his Earth / Black Sabbath mates, it just was not the same. Commercially, Ozzy was very successful during this time and had some fantastic musicians in his band. The musical impact just was not the same.

Dio and Ian did absolutely nothing for me and were more of a distraction than assets to Black Sabbath. Gillian and Deep Purple? That was an EXCELLENT line up!

CBII

Date: August 12, 2009 21:09

izzy--fred mandel--your friend philip's keyboard player last night--is he the same guy who played for queen, elton john, etc? THE Fred Mandel?

Date: August 12, 2009 21:10

yep, THE fred mandel smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2009 21:28

wow--that set was really something-blew both my son and i away--that guy is a phenom--looked like young robin trowe possessed by hendrix, vaughn, rhodes--incredibly passionate player

Date: August 12, 2009 21:30

izzy--found this note on him as well (According to Cliff Jone's book "Echoes: The story behind every Pink Floyd song", Fred Mandel (referred to as Freddie Mandel) plays hammond organ on most tracks on Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album. It is well known that Rick Wright (PF keyboardist at the time) did not play on the album although he was credited for contractual reasons."

i remember seeing him with alice cooper back in the late 70s

Date: August 12, 2009 21:40

Ah, he was a ghost-tracker. There's another musician that Philip has played with here in Toronto, Pentti "Whitey" Glan, who has ghost-tracked lots of sessions. Glan also, ironically, was in Alice Cooper's band along with Mandel.
here's some photos of a young Mandel: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=335677893&albumId=418348

Date: August 12, 2009 22:53

And of course, Tony Iommi was in the Rock and Roll Circus as a member of Jethro Tull-history was in the air last night--and just try to not have it connect to the Stones in some way smiling smiley

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 13, 2009 02:09

I love Dio

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 13, 2009 02:20

one of the worst concerts i've ever seen, sorry!
if you just think of what black sabbath sounded like....

Date: August 13, 2009 06:31

saw them last year. dio blew away any other 65+ rock singer i've seen. the new album is pretty good

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 13, 2009 08:35

67!!!!!
I cannot believe it!
I saw them two years ago for the Heaven and Hell tour in an outdoor park. They were great!!! He sounds a hell of a lot better than Ozzie does now. But I do prefer the Ozzie Sabbath, pre Never Say Die.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home