Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking forward to Some Girls Deluxe
Posted by: still ill ()
Date: May 22, 2010 17:57

Amused
but we've got boots... in excellent quality.

I'd like them to release something we don't have in good quality... or don't know about at all... 70, 71 tours... etc etc studio outtakes...

+1

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2010 19:38

crossfire deux
Gazza
Tattoo You had to be cobbled together from old leftovers. Only two of the songs on the album were cut specifically for the record. Hard to see how they could have made the album any longer than about 45 minutes, let alone add another disc.

Emotional Rescue had loads of extra songs - but its a 'minor' album and would be well down the pecking order for the deluxe treatment.

Theres only a small number of albums that culturally, critically and commercially would be viable for extended versions. Plus you have also the issue that every post-1970 album has now already been remastered within the last 12 months so it's a bit much to expect fans to buy them all over again.

A series of career retrospective releases (2 or 3-CD releases) covering their unreleased material in chronological order is a far more appropriate and comprehensive alternative IMO.

Your last statement would be a helluva project received with tremendous enthusiasm from Stones Junkies for sure. A possibility you think?

If they tackle it properly, sure, why not. Other acts can do it, and if they need to delegate the heavy lifting to a team of archivists before saying yes or no to their recommendations, its perfectly realistic.

There wont be too many more new Rolling Stones studio albums, the heavily edited and usually overdubbed 'live souvenir' CD from each and every tour is declining in mass appeal and there's only so much mileage to be gained from endless recycling of compilations and remasters being released with no additional material. Assuming the band aren't going to formally disband any time soon (and even if they do), a long term plan regarding archive releases is essential to keep their music alive.

My own opinion is that every year or so they should release a 2-CD set of unreleased studio material - not necessarily outtakes, but also good alternate versions - and they could probably get six or seven years worth of material out of that.

In the interim periods, they could - via their website, because such releases have limited commercial appeal and it would be a way of releasing material with few overheads (it would also be nice to see a Stones website used primarily for promoting music instead of kitsch like pet clothes!) - release a series of live shows (unedited and undubbed) from their vaults, which could be made available as CDs or as digital downloads only. They could release famous 'classic' concerts and/or release 'series' of shows from one residency (ie the 4 MSG shows in 72, 5 in LA'75 etc).

the way the Grateful Dead dealt with their vaults is a lesson to everyone -[en.wikipedia.org]

They could keep this going for years, but its important they dont delay it much longer what with CD sales being poor in general and their fanbase getting older.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 22, 2010 20:30

Gazza
My own opinion is that every year or so they should release a 2-CD set of unreleased studio material - not necessarily outtakes, but also good alternate versions - and they could probably get six or seven years worth of material out of that.

the cultural implications are fascinating to contemplate....

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 22, 2010 20:40

The Some Girls Deluxe had better have I Need You (without new vocals from Mick!).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 22, 2010 20:43

StonesTod
Gazza

the cultural implications are fascinating to contemplate....

Almost as much as the 'cultural implication' of my toe on your arse... smiling smiley

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: May 22, 2010 22:51

Whatever they "deluxe" I want the most tracks released as possible. I doubt black and blue would be on the top of the list but it would be very cool to hear some of the recordings with different guitarists auditioning for MT's old spot. I bet there is some interesting stuff in there.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 22, 2010 23:47

Lynd8
Of the RS post 1970 stuff, I'd like to see Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo all get the Deluxe treatment - That 1977-78ish Pathe-Marconi stuff is just awesome and I sure as hell they don't limit the bonus tracks to 10 and I think I agree with another lister - not sure we need fresh vocals. But, then again - fresh vocals is better that not being released at all.

The Emotional Rescue Sessions Revisited 3 disc outtake set is worth a listen if you're into that album. Personally I feel only Sticky is worth the effort. That said. they'll probably be forced to release discs of toe-nail clippings eventually ;-)

There is definitely sufficient archive material out there for a comprehensive audio and video anthology series. Exile and L&G should, imho, mark the start of the process.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-22 23:52 by Father Ted.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 23, 2010 01:21

I'd love to have We Had it All and Let's Go Steady in official release quality!

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: May 23, 2010 02:24

slew
I'd love to have We Had it All and Let's Go Steady in official release quality!

We already have both of those in perfect stereo quality...
Look for JWB's Unsurpassed Masters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 23, 2010 03:37

I think it was mentioned before, but I would prefer stand alone releases. How many copies of Some Girls and the rest of the already remastered discs does one need? Or want to buy? But rather an anthology type release, or stand alone releases with extensive liner notes and pics. Better yet use that useless site for something good like starting to release live shows you can download or purchase...now that would be something!

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 23, 2010 03:58

I've read rumors here that GHS and SG might get the Deluxe treatment if Exile does well. Then the article came out in Billboard saying that SF will probably happen next year for the 40th anniversary. They also mention UMG has a five-year plan for the Stones, with two projects a year. The word is the other project for this year will be a vinyl box of all the UMG remasters.

[www.billboard.com]

Universal is in talks with the band about finalizing the next project, with the label keen on one or two major reissues per year. Universal's deal covers the catalog from "Sticky Fingers" onward, and Andrew Daw, marketing director of the Universal Strategic Marketing division of Universal Music Group International, cites next year's 30th anniversary of "Fingers" as one possible project with strong commercial potential. Meanwhile, this fall will bring the release of a remastered collector's boxed set of all 14 post-1971 studio albums on heavyweight vinyl, although future plans will ultimately be dictated by the success of "Exile."

"There's a very strategic, mapped-out five-year plan to highlight all the incredible albums and time periods," Davis says. "Every arm and facet of Universal Music Group is working this project to ensure its success."

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home