Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Undercover needs remixing!
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 21, 2010 22:52

Listening to Undercover for the first time in a while.
For me it´s the last great Stones album - really sounds as they still care and NEED/WANT to play!

But it´s also part of the not-so-great 80´s production style...
Way too loud drums and vocals!

I want to hear it remixed more like Sticky and Exile - guitars louder etc.
Could be awesome...>grinning smiley<

Re: Undercover needs remixing!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 21, 2010 22:55

I love this album as is, but I agree that more guitars would be interesting.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:04

steel wheels is the album i think remixing

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:09

Tie You Up is perfect. And so is She Was Hot. In fact, the rockers are great, can't see a need for a remix. But Undercover Of The Night and Too Much Blood could certainly use a reduction! in the mix effects wise. I've always thought Feel On Baby was nice but have always wanted to hear the background things higher in the mix - but then that would kind of defeat the coolness of that song huh.

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:18

I couldn't agree more about Undercover. The subject matter of that album is dirty and gritty, yet the production style is way too clean and neat. The studio sessions I've heard on bootlegs are more true to the Stones sound and the subject matter of the album.

I also agree that Steel Wheels is the other album where they missed the mark on the production side. At least Undercover has some punch and bottom end. Steel Wheels reminds me of other albums from that era (Now and Zen, Blow Up Your Video, And Justice for All) that suffer from the 80's production styles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-21 23:20 by ajc68.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:31

rootsman

sorry to completely disagree. remixing to sound like a different era is as drastic as re-writing the lyrics.

it is what it is....and it represents the musical period and historical period in which it was created.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-22 14:13 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:47

sweet neo con
rootsman

sorry to completely disagree. remixing to sound like a different era is as drastic as re-writing they lyrics.

it is was it is....and it represents the musical period and historical period in which it was created.
i see nothing wrong with it. as long as the buyer has a choice of which version they want to buy. the doors remixed all their studio albums a few yrs back and they sounded great.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:58

Steel Wheels is in desperate need of a re-mix. It reeks of the 80's.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 23:59

Leave She Was Hot and All The Way Down alone and remix the rest, absolutely. It might make me like the album more. Like Dylan's Empire Burlesque, it's a flawed album mostly because of the sound. Both have great songs and are victims of the 80s production sound.

Date: May 22, 2010 00:00

Pearl Jam released "Ten" as a double CD last year -
CD 1: remastered
CD 2: remixed

Interesting to hear different aspects/versions/angles of a record I like... grinning smiley

Date: May 22, 2010 00:01

Re. Steel Wheels - just consider Steel Wheels Outtakes the 'real' album; it did it for me. Just like that SW became one of the better true Stones albums.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:15

quit yer bitchin an remix it already

Date: May 22, 2010 00:17

James Kirk

steel wheels just needs a new set of songs. they should release it with a brand new set of songs - but i hope they dont' remix them.

Date: May 22, 2010 00:28

StonesTod
James Kirk

steel wheels just needs a new set of songs. they should release it with a brand new set of songs - but i hope they dont' remix them.

Why don't they take side one of Sticky Fingers, and side one of Tattoo You, and put them on Steel Wheels. And I definitely agree, no remixing! Leave it alone!

Date: May 22, 2010 00:30

treaclefingers
StonesTod
James Kirk

Why don't they take side one of Sticky Fingers, and side one of Tattoo You, and put them on Steel Wheels. And I definitely agree, no remixing! Leave it alone!

this is the kind of out of the box thinking that's been sorely absent here. what would you propose for a fresh set of tunes for ABB?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 22, 2010 00:39

rootsman
Pearl Jam released "Ten" as a double CD last year -
CD 1: remastered
CD 2: remixed

Interesting to hear different aspects/versions/angles of a record I like... grinning smiley

YES. That was an excellent reissue. The original mix was remastered and then you have the remix. It would be interesting if that was to happen for a Stones album. Undercover would be cool. Steel Wheels - it's such a bland album anyway I dunno if a remix would help ha ha. Maybe to take the 80s FM radio sheen away from it and make it sound a bit more organic would help tremendously - turn the guitars up a bit more, give the snare and kick a bit more punch and pull Mick's vocals down a bit, make them a bit more murky in the mix.

Date: May 22, 2010 13:30

I agree that the "raw" mixes of the Steel Wheels tracks are mostly better than the released versions.

The album that most desperately needs a better mix, of course, is Dirty Work!
But it´s not a very good record anyway, so not as interesting to me as a remix of Undercover...

To those who think "leave the originals alone":
It´s not about taking away/deleting any album; just adding a different perspective/version of it!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-22 13:34 by rootsman.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 22, 2010 14:22

ghostryder13
i see nothing wrong with it. as long as the buyer has a choice of which version they want to buy. the doors remixed all their studio albums a few yrs back and they sounded great.

so every album should be released in 3 different mixes in an attempt to appeal to everybody's
personal taste? imo the only opinion that should matter is that of the artist at the time of its production.

not sure what the Doors did.........but it was probably because Ray M is still trying to squeeze lemonade
out of an old lemon. The Stones are still producing music...their music from the 80s should reflect the'time period just as their
music from the 60s & 70s. The Doors have a problem because the main Door is dead and they've
run out of ways to repackage their old music.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: May 22, 2010 16:43

pearl jam's ten album benefited greatly from taking away the overwash of reverb that the late 80s early 90s seemed to love.

it would be interesting to hear undercover or steel wheels minus their respective 80s sound. by taking away some of the studio tricks, we might hear a different kind of album. it will still sound 80s in terms of the instrumentation and general guitar/ drum sounds, but it might sound different. i'd be open to it.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 22, 2010 16:58

honestly they can do whatever they want,
if its an improvement, i will play it,
if it sucks, i will play what i already have,
no big deal.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 22, 2010 17:01

rootsman
I agree that the "raw" mixes of the Steel Wheels tracks are mostly better than the released versions.

The album that most desperately needs a better mix, of course, is Dirty Work!
But it´s not a very good record anyway, so not as interesting to me as a remix of Undercover...

To those who think "leave the originals alone":
It´s not about taking away/deleting any album; just adding a different perspective/version of it!smiling smiley

Dirty Work doesn't need a remix, just a decent burial.smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2010 18:08

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
James Kirk

this is the kind of out of the box thinking that's been sorely absent here. what would you propose for a fresh set of tunes for ABB?

Thanks, I appreciate the acknowledgement. For ABB, as the length of the album would warrant it, I'd suggest taking Exile intact, but just reversing the order of the songs.

Date: May 22, 2010 18:18

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
James Kirk

Thanks, I appreciate the acknowledgement. For ABB, as the length of the album would warrant it, I'd suggest taking Exile intact, but just reversing the order of the songs.

yes! could we also have the exile postcards included, and represented in reverse order, too? also, i think it's important that the credits appear that way, as well.

Date: May 22, 2010 18:28

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
James Kirk

yes! could we also have the exile postcards included, and represented in reverse order, too? also, i think it's important that the credits appear that way, as well.

To keep it interesting, I think they should include the negatives of the original postcards!

...and don't get me started on the album cover.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 22, 2010 19:18

Monitor Mix is already out there making Steel Wheels sound better.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 22, 2010 20:21

Truth.

Date: May 22, 2010 20:27

Elmo Lewis

yeah, but the "treacle" remaster sounds so much better.

Date: May 22, 2010 20:41

StonesTod
Elmo Lewis

Thanks man...props to you.

We can call it "Treacle Wheels"

Date: May 22, 2010 20:43

treaclefingers
StonesTod
Elmo Lewis

Thanks man...props to you.

We can call it "Treacle Wheels"

yes, sounds so much better than "Steel Fingers" - can't wait for the super-duper deluxe bonus edition with 3cd cover.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 23, 2010 01:33

needs 5 new songs too

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home