Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

anyone hitting mccartney in d.c tomorrow???
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 1, 2009 05:38

i'll be there would love to hook up with
some peeps from the board!!!!!!!!

Re: anyone hitting mccartney in d.c tomorrow???
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2009 11:43

Damn!I wish I was still in the States I would love to go and hook up. I saw him at Citi Park and it was almost a religious experience. HAVE FUN! Your luck!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: August 3, 2009 17:15

Where were you seated, jaggerman? I was there and, from where I was watching and listening, it was incredible.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 3, 2009 17:27

"anyone hitting mccartney in d.c tomorrow???"

I appreciate he's an annoying old scouser, but violence isn't the answer.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 3, 2009 21:38

Oh, the fan-brutality eye rolling smiley

did you hit him hard?tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: August 3, 2009 22:45

I heard the show was far from sold out. CAn anyone confirm.

Date: August 4, 2009 23:38

I was there. It was over 90% sold out. By the time Paul took the stage you had to look to find empty seats. There were a few in most upper sections but they appeared isolated. Definitely not entire unsold rows, etc.

The field appeared very full.

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 5, 2009 01:33

I was there. I couldn't see all the way up into the upper deck but the rest of the place was packed. Some dude told me he got front row the night before so i guess some tickets could be had. Excellent show. Great band with him. HAd a great evening

Here is the set list:

1. Drive My Car
2. Jet
3. Only Mama Knows
4. Flaming Pie
5. Got to Get You Into My Life
6. Let Me Roll It
7. Foxy Lady (instrumental jam)
8. Highway
9. The Long and Winding Road
10. My Love
11. Blackbird
12. Here Today
13. Dance Tonight
14. Calico Skies
15. Michelle
16. Mrs. Vandebilt
17. Eleanor Rigby
18. Sing the Changes
19. Band On the Run
20. Back in the U.S.S.R.
21. I'm Down
22. Something
23. I've Got a Feeling
24. Paperback Writer
25. A Day in the Life
26. Let It Be
27. Live And Let Die
28. Hey Jude

Encore

Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
I Saw Her Standing There
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Get Back
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
The End

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:10

starstar74
I heard the show was far from sold out. CAn anyone confirm.

I wasn't there myself, but local radio WTOP said there was about 50,000. The stadium can hold up 80,000, I believe. But, as with the Stones, a large stage plus clever seating configurations can make a house appear fuller than it actually is.

That's not to say 50,000+ is not a respectable draw!

Date: August 5, 2009 05:27

The stadium may well hold that much for a sporting event but not necissarily for a concert. It will depend on the stage and the configuration. The set list was exactly the same as the show in NY for Citi Park. I was stunned by the harmonies from his band. They have really come a long way. They have been playing with Macca for six years now (albeit Wix, the keyboardist has been with him since the Flowers in the Dirt tour) and they really have grown as a band. THEY ARE TIGHT! The harmonies on Paperback Writer were spot on! As were the harmonies on Eleanor Rigby. Just saw an article where Macca says he has no plans to retire and will continue playing as long as folks want to come out to see him. Great to hear!

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: August 5, 2009 06:07

Actually Fedex Field can around 96 or 97 thousand for a Redskins game . American football team to our frineds elsewhere . They chopped off all of the seating in the back and some of the sides. The place is huge. I saw the Stones there during the licks tour and I would say the capacity for both shows were about the same(huge stages). I couldn't tell you if the Stones show had the same attendance as McCartney. I was on the field(Pitch ?) and couldn't see in the upper deck.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 5, 2009 07:32

saw Stones at RFK stadium in '72, it was setup for baseball that summer.
this is a different stadium in the d.c. area?

Date: August 5, 2009 08:41

About 33% of the stadium (likely a little more) is unavailable for rock concerts.

I'm a Stones fan through and through. I was at their 2002 Licks show (4 October 02) the crowd was late arriving, it wasn't a sellout, but the audience was big and vocal.

Saturday night for Paul the crowd was late arriving, it wasn't a sellout, and they were big and vocal ... and probably larger. Empty seats were few and far between, and I was looking.

As for the reviews on this page re tight vocals, great band, etc., absolutely agree. I've seen Stones, Led Zeppelin, Robin Trower, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, etc. etc. All others were great, but McCartney positively turned it out - I will definitely pay big bucks to see him again if he doesn't retire.

Date: August 5, 2009 08:49

Correct, Beelyboy, RFK is different from FedEx field. FedEx field is the new home of the NFL team and holds 90K for games (but much, much less for concerts).

Stones opened their '94 world tour with 2 shows at RFK in August, amid brutal heat and humidity. The first night was a 'stone cold' sellout. The second night it was packed, but the farthest upper deck from front and center had hundreds of empty seats.

It should be pointed out that scheduling open air shows in DC in July-August is highly questionaly business, as literally 1/4 of the town (if not more) flees on vacation due to the weather. Paul M. would certainly have sold the place out in June or Autumn. As it was, FedEx was a madhouse for him, and he delivered.

Date: August 5, 2009 09:24

Right on Scaffer. I just was blown away by Macca. And also how hard he worked. Switching from bass, to guitar, to uke, to mandolin, to piano, to acoustic and singing every song! Whew! He worked hard! Those days in Hamburg trained him well!!! He always was so into giving a show.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: August 5, 2009 12:38

H eplays so many songs: 34???

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 5, 2009 18:30

Who's playing drums?

No Jenny Wren...Pitty. He must have played Something with the Ukulele, I hate how he messes this beautiful song. Hope he tours in Europe.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: August 5, 2009 18:37

who cares

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 5, 2009 18:56

I did not attend the Macca DC show but I heard from those that did that it was a really good show.

As others have mentioned the venue was FedEx Field and is is significantly larger than the old RFK stadium.

Last Stones shows I saw at RFK would have been the Steel Wheels tour in 1989.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home