Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and music hall
Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: July 20, 2009 18:55

Which songs in the Stones catalogue would you characterize as music hall? I can think of OWTS, SHTMY and CCC.

Re: Stones and music hall
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 20, 2009 19:26

It took me sometime to figure those songs out, but I think it is quite definitive list. Can't think any else.

- Doxa

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 20, 2009 20:53

Bärs
Which songs in the Stones catalogue would you characterize as music hall? I can think of OWTS, SHTMY and CCC.

Funny, all are from CMMLXVII

Date: July 20, 2009 21:28

JJHMick
Bärs

Funny, all are from CMMLXVII

You mean MCMLXVII?

Yes, it's interesting. Why OWTS, SHTMY and CCC in MCMLXVII? Why not before, why not after and why music hall at all? Who turned the Stones on music hall? Is it possible to hear a cover of Champagne Charlie the next tour?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: July 20, 2009 23:48

English Music Hall was a very common form of entertainment in England up until the '50s when it started petering out. As youngsters, I'm sure Mick and Keith were exposed to it. Paul McCartney certainly was as the music hall influence shows up in his songs very often and I can't help but think that Paul's use of idiom had some influence on Mick and Keith, who after a little dabbling decided it wasn't for them, and rightly so!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 21, 2009 00:24

CCC - Cool, Calm & Collected
OWTS - On With the Show
SHTMY - Something Happened to Me Yesterday

cool songs ^^

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 21, 2009 00:37

Thanks Amused, I didn't even try to find the songs

Date: July 21, 2009 11:55

ChrisM
English Music Hall was a very common form of entertainment in England up until the '50s when it started petering out. As youngsters, I'm sure Mick and Keith were exposed to it. Paul McCartney certainly was as the music hall influence shows up in his songs very often and I can't help but think that Paul's use of idiom had some influence on Mick and Keith, who after a little dabbling decided it wasn't for them, and rightly so!

I think that must be pretty accurate. They had a sort of British mini period inside their pop period. Perhaps other rock bands as well experimented with Muisc Hall, like beeing cool by being silly.

Wait! I think I found another one. Perhaps not strictly Music Hall and not strictly The Stones, but close enough: TLNOTY!

Date: July 22, 2009 11:39

Bärs
ChrisM

I think that must be pretty accurate. They had a sort of British mini period inside their pop period. Perhaps other rock bands as well experimented with Muisc Hall, like beeing cool by being silly.

Wait! I think I found another one. Perhaps not strictly Music Hall and not strictly The Stones, but close enough: TLNOTY!

That is The Lovliest Night of the Year.

Is it Music Hall?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2009 12:30

Cool, Calm And Collected is more chanson than music hall.

Keith's catch phrase 'It's good to be here...it's good to be anywhere' is taken from Max Wall, a legend of British music hall.

Date: July 22, 2009 14:54

Good info about Max Wall there. Never heard about that before.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 22, 2009 15:13

er... it's not Max Wall, it's Max Miller: [www.maxmiller.org]

and in MCMLXVII that music-hall vibe was a signal for we've been taking LSD -
i don't know why it was, but it was. maybe the Kinks know :E

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 22, 2009 15:42

one more with the music-hall vibe, but from MCMLXVI:

"Mother's Little Helper is a very strange record, like a music hall number,
with an electric twelve-string on it, which made it very distinctive."
- Mick Jagger, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

and of course the whole Rock & Roll Circus idea was ... well, a circus isn't a music hall,
but the vibes are vibrating in a similar sort of direction :E

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 22, 2009 15:58

and in MCMLXVII that music-hall vibe was a signal for we've been taking LSD -
i don't know why it was, but it was. maybe the Kinks know :E[/quote]

Interesting point with sssoul. Growing up in London in the 60s I remember from late 1966, for about 18 months, a huge wave of nostalgia for old England that manifested itself in fashion, music, even shop architecture. Whatever brought this on I'm not too sure about but going into 67 I remember a trend for not only Dickensian style fashion - shoes with 19th century buckles, shirts with ruffles, watches with large 'olde England' clock dials but also that whole Regency thing with frock coats that became de rigeur for psychedelic bands. Even shops were built copying the olde curiosity shoppe style.

Plenty of songs and whole albums tapped into nostalgia - Keith West's Excerpt For A Teenage Opera, the whole Kinks mid to late 60s tragi comic views of an England that was slowly disappearing (Village Green, Arthur), with the cover of Sgt Pepper being the most famous example. There are many examples of psychedelic bands harkening back to old times - Tomorrow's Aunt Mary's Dress Shop, The Hollies - Ye Olde Toffee Shop.

I'm sure acid helped bring about a reflection and awareness of days gone by. In fact Syd Barrett got most of his inspiration from childhood images of gnomes, bikes, scarecrows, Mother etc.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 22, 2009 16:09

New Vaudeville Bands' "Winchester Cathedral" was a HUGE hit in '66.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home