Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Following the River
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:38

StonesTod
Lorenz
it's disgusting, horribly sugary and over the top...

in other words, an SOL companion-piece. now we have a set of matching bookends.

Yeah, actually I wanted to write exactly that but at least SOL was ok when played live...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:43

Lorenz
StonesTod
Lorenz

Yeah, actually I wanted to write exactly that but at least SOL was ok when played live...

only by comparison.

would someone please stick a bottle of jack into mick's puss soon? the man needs to chug-a-lug....

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:50

Lorenz
StonesTod
Lorenz

Don't know about that. Still sucks pretty bad to me. FTR isn't much better,but at least it has Nicky Hopkins piano playing.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 20, 2010 21:52

Lorenz

People said the same about Angie....but I love it.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 20, 2010 22:12

when most bands release their outtakes its usually on a box set and people play them a few times say it's pretty cool and then hardly ever play them again but the stones can still make singles from theirs .

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 20, 2010 23:28

alimente
Strange that if a bootleg with For Your Precious Love appears people jump on the Stones, accusing them to make the wrong choices with the selection of material for their offocial albums (in this case, Steel Wheels), hailing songs like For Your Precious Love as "lost classics" -

- and when the Stones release stuff like "Following The River", it is slaughered as sounding like "Elton John".

What can the Stones learn from this? Keep outtakes officially unreleased, and if you want people to hear them, give them to bootleggers, because then your fans will like any stuff, no matter how half-baken and unfinished it may be.

Seems like outtakes on boots add considerably to the myth, while releasing them officially destroys it.
amen. get more vintage live stuff out, warts and all, dont need any more outtakes.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 21, 2010 00:28

are the violins from 2010 too ?
it really sounds like a new song

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 21, 2010 02:07

...this one's a real hybrid.....tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: May 21, 2010 09:40

You all can complain about

- the vocals
- the lyrics
- the choir
- the strings

Maybe you are right.

But for me, it´s just the SONG. The best RS song in decades.

For the first time since HIGHWIRE I play it again and again, it´s in my ears all over the day. The song is heartfelt and honest.

Reminds me a bit of THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD. Paul wrote it, when the story came to an end...

Listening to FTR, my eyes are filled with tears.

Priest

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 15:41

Priest,
I couldn't agree more. For once, Mick has left the sappy lyrics behind and wrote a fantastic song!!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2010 15:46

I like it.

Completely different to this damned SOL,touching...

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: May 21, 2010 16:56

Slick
alimente
Strange that if a bootleg with For Your Precious Love appears people jump on the Stones, accusing them to make the wrong choices with the selection of material for their offocial albums (in this case, Steel Wheels), hailing songs like For Your Precious Love as "lost classics" -

- and when the Stones release stuff like "Following The River", it is slaughered as sounding like "Elton John".

What can the Stones learn from this? Keep outtakes officially unreleased, and if you want people to hear them, give them to bootleggers, because then your fans will like any stuff, no matter how half-baken and unfinished it may be.

Seems like outtakes on boots add considerably to the myth, while releasing them officially destroys it.
amen. get more vintage live stuff out, warts and all, dont need any more outtakes.

Tagging FTR as "eltonjohnian" was, on my part, a really minor criticism of the song that, to me, is the weaker of the bunch, and for some reasons:
What I dislike in the song is partly Mick's interpretation but mostly the fact that, among the "new" stuff which play - really great - with the music "ingredients" of exile, FTR is the one that play with gospel but, unfortunately, in the opposite direction of, let's say, just wanna see his face or shine a light. On the other hand the video is brilliant

About the myth of bootlegged songs
I am not a worshipper of bootlegs and, in this case, I can plainly say that i do liker a whole lot better the "hybrids" than the "originals" outtakes

Keep them coming those bastards

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 21, 2010 17:14

Terrible, terrible song. And I'm one who likes ballads like Angie and Streets Of |Love. But this sounds like a Goddess In The Doorway outtake. Maudlin. Sleep-inducing stuff. It's a pointer of what we're going to get on the next Stones album. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: May 21, 2010 17:21

A Stones classic

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: May 21, 2010 18:55

they are real exile songs and so take a couple of plays. remember exile was dismissed as well and look at us now!
i personally love them!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 21, 2010 21:53

I love that heavy, real piano. Not such a Yamaha plinkediplink shit.

The vocals are not in that 1970s mood, it´s a bit too much
Jagger solo of the 00´s in it.

But still a great song with airing potential.

Date: May 22, 2010 18:48

The song sounds dead like "Dont call me up" in the beginning. So much that I just couldn't believe it; even the lyrics.
But (while ignoring the overloud strings) the song takes off, and I think it is thanks to Jagger's sense of drama. He rarely lays it on so heavy and so blatantly, but I kind of like that very high head voice he uses here. The line I been calling out your name", and then the chorus "you brought out the best in me"; very good.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 22, 2010 23:16

When I listen to this song I love it. Even if Mick is balancing on a thin line. Is he crying?
When I don't listen to it, it's still there Can't get it out of my head.
Most of all I like the piano. Never stop getting impressed of Nicky Hopkins.

Date: May 23, 2010 05:45

Just listened to it over and over again - and I LOVE it!

Thanks for that one, it´s joy for me and good for my soul.

Of course it´s mostly Jagger and not typically Exile era.....but......anyway....I like his heartfelt singing, it´s just GREAT!

Everybody should FEEL it - don´t analyse too much!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 23, 2010 09:07

>> Everybody should FEEL it <<

... a friend who fishes got it right away: it's an eel singing
heart-rent at having to leave the she-eel but the territorial imperative compels him
so he's following the river ... rushing headlong ... sobbing ... with shades on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-23 17:14 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: May 23, 2010 11:07

Good song, but Mick's articulation is not good.

Re: Following the River - you overdid it Holmes
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 23, 2010 15:10

with sssoul

heart-rent at having to leave the she-eel but the territorial imperative compels him
to follow the river ... sobbing ... with shades on

Lol, that's funny - it certainly has the wriggle with it aswell.

I wish it wasn't such a caricature of a song because it has good basics.
it's just way overdone.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 23, 2010 17:17

open-g
Lol, that's funny - it certainly has the wriggle with it as well.

smoking smiley

open-g
it's just way overdone.

my sentiments exactly, open-g honey.
but a bunch of the other tracks are grooving me somethin fierce, so ... so have some popcorn :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-23 17:19 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: May 23, 2010 20:59

This piano-based song should be supported by electric guitar(s), with at least a part from Mick Taylor of course (this song screams for his licks!) and furthermore Mick Jagger should have never used violins on this song! It's ugly as hell! These strings have nothing to add except creating a "wall of sound" (the negative meaning).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2010 21:04

ghostryder13
when most bands release their outtakes its usually on a box set and people play them a few times say it's pretty cool and then hardly ever play them again but the stones can still make singles from theirs .

Certainly true in the case of PMS. Not as sure about the others.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: May 23, 2010 21:40

Muddyw
This piano-based song should be supported by electric guitar(s), with at least a part from Mick Taylor of course (this song screams for his licks!) and furthermore Mick Jagger should have never used violins on this song! It's ugly as hell! These strings have nothing to add except creating a "wall of sound" (the negative meaning).

bullshit. the strings are great and fit perfectly.
guitars would have destroyed it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:31

guitars destroying an "exile" stones song...there's an irony there that speaks for itself

Date: May 23, 2010 22:40

I just heard it again; strings are good idea - they are just mixed way too loud.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 23, 2010 22:56

I'm not mad keen on it (unlike PMS)

But its streets ahead of crap like SOL

Date: May 23, 2010 23:17

open-g
with sssoul

to follow the river ... sobbing ... with shades on

Lol, that's funny - it certainly has the wriggle with it aswell.

it's just way overdone.

Sorry - but I do not understand. I am not familiar with native speaking English or slang or........or may be I am just stupid....????!!!????..

Anyway, I thought for a second, a few guitar licks would be great on that song - but I also like the strings and I do like SOL as well. May be I have a different attitude, as I am female - sometimes that makes a difference!!!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1736
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home