Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones Influenced Bands: Aerosmith or Black Crowes?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: June 17, 2009 20:30

Aerosmith and the Black Crowes are two biggest mainstream rock bands influenced by the Stones and Stones influences, blues and all.
Aerosmith shined in the 70s, sucked then and had their revival in 00s, the Black Crowes shine since 90s.
they have Stones sound, twins as songwriters and good original work. Black Crowes often cover Stones material, with Torn & Frayed and Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

which one of them is your favorite? I mean, Aerosmith playing blues (Honkin' On Bobo album - what a title by the way! smiling smiley - and recent tours) is top of the @#$%& world. Black Crowes are really good, too.
comparing them is waaay too hard for me... I mean, TOYS IN THE ATTIC is 5/5, so is SHAKE YOUR MONEY MAKER.

what's your choice? ;-)

Re: Stones Influenced Bands: Aerosmith or Black Crowes?
Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 17, 2009 20:34

BC is the best band after the Stones. Southern Harmony is a masterpiece.
Very, very good live band.

Date: June 17, 2009 20:38

slasausjes
BC is the best band after the Stones. Southern Harmony is a masterpiece.
Very, very good live band.

I enjoyed Warpaint. do you recommend their latest CD, Warpaint Live? I think I'm gonna buy it just for Torn & Frayed cover...

they are going to release new album soon...

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 17, 2009 20:45

''Black Crowes shine since 90s''

..Black Crowes are hugely overrated; they don't hold a candle to Aerosmith's early work..

..for a better band than the overrated and over-hyped Crowes and a band also hugely influenced by the Stones, check out the Tragically Hip, who began around the same time as the Crowes but are not near (tragically) as well known ..the Tragically Hip in their early days covered the Yardbirds and the Stones, and still do periodically, but their covers are obscure tracks like 2000 Light Years From Home and stuff like that .. I mean, you KNOW they were listening to alot of Beggars Banquet when they cut this track in 1991

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:30

aerosmith wins hands down .compare there rich and vast cataloge to the black crowes.does not even come close.black crowes ,how many lead guitarst have filled that space ? i cant even think of all them .cant compare to the classic aerosmith lineup of steven tyler,joe perry,brad whitford ,tom hamilton,and joey krammer .

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:31

Never thought of the Hip as being influenced by the Stones. They were the biggest rock band in Canada during the 1990's and still have a huge following. They're currently on a cross Canada tour.
Aerosmith were visually like the Stones but I would say they were more influenced by the Yardbirds. Crows were hugely influenced by the Stones. After their first two albums, I didn't follow them. I wasn't aware that they were still together. Always liked the live video for She Talks To Angels.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:50

..Black Crowes are hugely overrated; they don't hold a candle to Aerosmith's early work..

I cannot let this stand. WARNING : This post is written by a rabid Black Crowes fan.

Checkout "The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" and "Amorica", probably two of the most underrated albums in recent memory. I think they suffered because they so clearly were influenced by the Stones but denied it time and again until it got silly, and people wrote them off as a result. Any musicians owe it to themselves to check the band out, particularly Marc Ford, Ed Harwysch (sadly they've left now) and Steve Gorman.

Right, now I've calmed down (I joke, FYI), some linkage :

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:50

Black Crowes have a better catalog of GREAT songs than Aero. Aero have tried to rip off the STones from Day 1 (Aero, i.e.). Aerosmith should re-name themselves to something like AeroJovi.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 17, 2009 21:52

mickscarey
Black Crowes have a better catalog of GREAT songs than Aero. Aero have tried to rip off the STones from Day 1 (Aero, i.e.). Aerosmith should re-name themselves to something like AeroJovi.

agree here.

Date: June 17, 2009 21:57

stealing, stealing.
BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin - they're all xxx thieves, you know?
I don't feel bad with it. I just enjoy their songs, in every one of them there's something special.

Aerosmith acknowledged their roots, they're alright with me. Fanatical Crowes/Aero fans ignoring Stones influence for me are kind of losers, yep, on the other hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 21:58 by Amused.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:02

That Tragically Hip song is quite good actually....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:06

Yeah, I know they all stole BUT I think the STONES gave more credit where it was due than any of the other big names mentioned. When they found out that "Prodigal Son" was originally credited to them they demanded that the credit be changed to Wilkens. LZ are definately the worst about it but as Keith said about "Cocaine Blues" being attributed to Ramblin Jack Elliot- "He stole it well!"

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:13

I've got to go with Aerosmith. That being said, I remember when the Crowes first came out, I actually had the thought that, if they wanted to, The Stones could actually retire (thank God they didn't) as there was finally someone to pick up and carry the torch for them.

To me, Aerosmith and the Black Crowes are radically different bands. Aerosmith is far more of a "Hard Rock" band where the Crowes fall more into the Stones line of "Roots Rock", “Rock” and/or "Rock & Roll". The Crowes could almost be said to be descendents of The Stones - grandchildren maybe? Aerosmith would be more like 2nd or 3rd cousins... The family resemblance is there but there's no real blood relationship.

Good question though... Hard question actually as I really like both bands and I can come up with reasons I like both better than the other. I just keep coming back to the though of "what would music be like now without Aerosmith in the 70s vs. what would music be like now without the Black Crowes in the 90s"?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:14

i'm gonna hafta go ahead and go with the chesterfield kings

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: June 17, 2009 22:18

mr_dja
I've got to go with Aerosmith. That being said, I remember when the Crowes first came out, I actually had the thought that, if they wanted to, The Stones could actually retire (thank God they didn't) as there was finally someone to pick up and carry the torch for them.

To me, Aerosmith and the Black Crowes are radically different bands. Aerosmith is far more of a "Hard Rock" band where the Crowes fall more into the Stones line of "Roots Rock", “Rock” and/or "Rock & Roll". The Crowes could almost be said to be descendents of The Stones - grandchildren maybe? Aerosmith would be more like 2nd or 3rd cousins... The family resemblance is there but there's no real blood relationship.

Good question though... Hard question actually as I really like both bands and I can come up with reasons I like both better than the other. I just keep coming back to the though of "what would music be like now without Aerosmith in the 70s vs. what would music be like now without the Black Crowes in the 90s"?

Good post!

Gotta go with the Crowes myself. Their my favourite rock band (lately more then the Stones): great albums and still great live (changing line up or not).

Date: June 17, 2009 22:19

Never thought of the Hip as being influenced by the Stones. They were the biggest rock band in Canada during the 1990's and still have a huge following. They're currently on a cross Canada tour.

oh yeah, they were, big time, Stones and Yardbirds influenced mainly, early on in their career; their back and forth guitar interplay 'weave,' a huge part of their sound, comes from the Stone influence on them

the Tragically Hip opened for the Stones in Europe on several dates in 1996 and again the Stones picked them for a few openers in 2005

their current tour is also taking them to the US; they just played a three night stand at the Troubadour in LA last week, followed by a 2 night stint at the Fillmore in San Francisco, and I think they have some European dates planned for November and December 09

here's a recent Wall Street Journal article on the band;

Exerpts:

The Tragically Hip has everything you'd want in a rock band: smart, distinctive songs; a sound to call its own; a live show that jolts the audience from its seats; and, in Gordon Downie, a front man who's been compared to Mick Jagger and Michael Stipe. The Hip's only problem: The band is Canadian.

"we can't draw flies in the States," the 45-year-old (lead singer) Gord Downie said"

It's a mystery to me why the Hip haven't succeeded in the U.S. ..were live rock a competition, the Hip would bulldoze just about any contemporary group

For all the Jagger/Stipe comparisons, he's like no other performer I've ever seen. While singing with fire and bravado, Mr. Downie prances, staggers, goosesteps, squats and swings his arms like an ape, tries a bit of flamenco dancing and wields the mike stand like a majorette. He dedicated one tune to the pope and referenced Flannery O'Connor in the intro to another.

America is an important market to them, not merely because of size. "We go down there because that's where the music we play came from. It's from the Mississippi Delta by way of England -- the Pretty Things, the Stones. That's our music, maybe with a Canadian coat of paint.

..any of you Crowes fans out there out it to yourself to check out the Tragically Hip, and start at the beginning. If you like 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion' - yer gonna love the Hip's 'Up To Here' and 'Road Apples.'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 22:24 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 18, 2009 07:50

Taylor Era

..Black Crowes are hugely overrated

The truth!

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: June 18, 2009 08:28

Black Crowes not overrated. Saw them for the 7th time last November in Austin TX. Bad PA system but great show. Crowes by far have always taken more from Faces anyway. Then the Stones. and then the Dead. And then Pink Floyd and then Dylan and then Terry Reid. You get my point The Crowes musical influences are so diverse and beyond comprehension it is ridiculous. Not over rated. They never sold out and stayed true to their roots. Best rock and roll band of today. Sorry my fav Stones. Crowes have long been faithful to their true vision and sound. Shunning all corporate bullshit along the way. Only true rock and roll band in existence today. Love the Stones they will always be number 1 for all their stuff from 62 till 83 but after that no thanks. Crowes and Aerosmith ? Aerosmith not even in the same league musically as the Stones and the Crowes.

Date: June 18, 2009 10:13

what about the underrated band the quireboys?

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 10:14

out of my head
Black Crowes not overrated. Saw them for the 7th time last November in Austin TX. Bad PA system but great show. Crowes by far have always taken more from Faces anyway. Then the Stones. and then the Dead. And then Pink Floyd and then Dylan and then Terry Reid. You get my point The Crowes musical influences are so diverse and beyond comprehension it is ridiculous. Not over rated. They never sold out and stayed true to their roots. Best rock and roll band of today. Sorry my fav Stones. Crowes have long been faithful to their true vision and sound. Shunning all corporate bullshit along the way. Only true rock and roll band in existence today. Love the Stones they will always be number 1 for all their stuff from 62 till 83 but after that no thanks. Crowes and Aerosmith ? Aerosmith not even in the same league musically as the Stones and the Crowes.

200% AGREED!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 18, 2009 16:03

keefriffhard4life
what about the underrated band the quireboys?

Wow, I saw these guys on their first tour! They still around? I think I got tickets free or very very cheap.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:11

I don't see BC as a Stones influenced band, the Led Zep and Faces influences are much stronger.

Aerosmith do not write their own material since the mid-80's anymore, so they're really in another league IMHO.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 18, 2009 17:42

"All Right Now" by the Free could be a Jagger/Richards song. And the guitar riffs are from our old riffmaster Keith, it seems. When I was small and I heard "All Right Now", I thought it were the new Stones hit. The band Little Feat is another example.

Date: June 18, 2009 17:50

Aerosmith is much more influenced by The Beatles and Led Zep than by The Stones.

Black Crowes is clearly influenced mostly by The Faces and The Stones. On more recent albums, also by Led Zep and The Allman Bros, imo.

Date: June 18, 2009 18:04

'The Crowes musical influences are so diverse and beyond comprehension it is ridiculous. Not over rated. They never sold out and stayed true to their roots. Best rock and roll band of today. Sorry my fav Stones. Crowes have long been faithful to their true vision and sound. Shunning all corporate bullshit along the way. Only true rock and roll band in existence today.'

- the Crowes were never faithful to 'their' sound, because they never had their own sound, they ripped it off from the Faces, primarily. Besides, lots of bands have 'diverse musical influences,' 'never sold out' and 'stayed true to their roots' and 'shunned corporate bullshit.' The Tragically Hip for example has done all of that in spades, and their music is far more original and much less a ripoff of prior bands sounds than the Crowes is, to boot. It's just that hardly nobody's heard of 'em, like the WSJ article I referred to said.

Hell, over 15 years a go a major national corporate beer sponsor asked the Tragically Hip if it could sponsor their shows and put their advertising up on the stage banners for these huge outdoor festivals. HUUUUGE money.. but band said 'NO! F*CK OFF! We're not beer salesmen.' The Hip are so anti-corpoate they've been booted off more labels than they can count for not mainstreaming and sabotaging their sound. Compared to the Hip the Crowes are a commercial pop band, dude. Sorry to break it to ya, but the Crowes are hardly the 'only' true or the 'best' rock and roll band in existence today; not by a long shot.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:33

I don't get the link between Aerosmith and BC.

Stones influences?

In Aerosmith I don't hear any.

In BC, well, we all know what music they were into when they started. So what? Is that a fault? Black Crowes have made some great music, with its own character. With maybe the only exception of Shake, that was more "traditional", all the others you immediately recognize them for BC's music. Truly love this band. The line up has evolved a lot, but at the end of the day the Robinsons' stamp is what makes the difference.

Since we are here, Tragically Hip is another good band, interesting, it is nice to have them and the BC around rather than only one of the two.

Finally, for what matters, I would be proud to be a "beer seller" if they covered with money. Well, to be completely honest, I would be enough if they offered me the beer for the night ....

C

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 18, 2009 19:43

I saw the Black Crowes supporting the Stones at Wembley, England on the Voodoo Lounge tour in '95. (I'd previously seen them a year or two earlier in a smallish venue in Wales, supported by the little-known Verve).

At Wembley the Crowes were playing a lot of the Amorica album, a lot of percussion, congas, with the guitars, floating over the hot air that stoned afternoon. Them and the reefers i was enjoying made for a great appetizer.

I loved Southern Harmony... a great album, but I have to say I got a little board of a band so doggedly retro, so in denial of the future and all the great developments in music. One of the things i love about the stones (certainly in their prime) is their ability to take on contemporary influences and make them their own (psychedelia, funk, punk, disco).

The Black Crowes just seemed too luddite to me. No acknowledgment of anything after the mid 70s. The mark of a truly great band is some development and experimentation.

Date: June 18, 2009 19:58

Since we are here, Tragically Hip is another good band, interesting, it is nice to have them and the BC around rather than only one of the two.

..true enough; I agree with that

I am not saying the Crowes are horrible, I mean I have several of their records myself, but I find them (the band and it's records) pretty overrated considering there are lesser known bands out there every bit as good that started out around the same time, have a large body of work, shun 'corporate bullshit', and still continue to this day

Tragically Hip is one of those bands - their first record came out in 1989 - the Crowes first came record out in 1990 ..since then Tragically Hip have put out 11 original albums - the Crowes have put out 7

..the first Crowes cd has outsold the Hips entire catalogue combined, which is a shame, since the Hip's debut 'Up To Here' from 1989 IMHO blows the Crowes huge selling debut from 1990, which is really only mediocre, clear out of the water..and the second Tragically Hip cd 'Road Apples' is every bit as good, if not better, than the Crowes 'Southern Harmony and Musical Companion'

example:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-18 20:05 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: June 18, 2009 20:00

I agree that the Faces are a bigger influence on the Crowes than the Stones. Listen to Wiser Time and it's pure Ron Wood. Also the Georgia Satellites drew heavily from the Faces. Steve Earle draws heavily on a variety of sources - some songs of his sound like they're straight off Bruce Springsteen's The River but others draw on the Stones most notably "The Best That We Can Do" which begins with Get Off Of My Cloud drums and a recycled JJF riff. Also on the same album is Go Amanda which is a pure Faces tribute right down to the Stay With Me ending though the groove is also similar to Little Feat. Don't forget The Replacements who played the underground Stones to REM's Beatles in the 1980s. Paul Westerberg's first solo album reminded me a lot of a Ron Wood solo record.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 18, 2009 20:04

all prior music influences all music that proceeds it. always has, always will.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home