Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Linernotes new EXILE...
Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: May 15, 2010 19:29

...very different from the original one - vinyl or virgin remaster...

paul buckmaster - strings for "happy"
charlie watts, ian stewart, nicky hopkins all on "happy"
mick jagger guitar on "happy"

i never heard or noticed....

bill wyman bass on every song?

great to know.... :-)

charlie watts drums on "shine a light"?
groovy...

Re: Linernotes new EXILE...
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 15, 2010 19:32

Charlie did say something about Bill Plummer not being there. Is he in there?

Date: May 15, 2010 19:37

bill plummer is in! ...together with bill wyman...

Date: May 15, 2010 19:39

Ahhhh. OK. Well that settles that dunnit!

Posted by: oldfool ()
Date: May 15, 2010 20:25

What a bunch of bollocks about Charlie's participation! That's not him playing drums neither on Happy nor Shine A Light. It's not his style or sound. I believe more in the original liner notes that list Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: May 15, 2010 20:42

Haven't seen the new liners yet myself, but it sounds like a bunch of crap. There are no strings on "Happy", Keith has stated in interviews going back to '72 that he played all the guitars & bass on that one, with Jimmy M. on drums, and Mick T. stated in a 1980 interview that he played bass on "Shine A Light". Heck, even Wyman confirms that it's Taylor playing bass on the final take of "Tumbling Dice". Crappola, I tell you! Did they bother to credit Bobby Whitlock with the electric piano on "Just Want To See His Face"? If they fixed any credits, they should've fixed that!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2010 20:42

Strings on "Happy"? Really?? Next they'll tell me Brian played mellotron on "Turd On The Run".

Date: May 15, 2010 20:47

CMan
Haven't seen the new liners yet myself, but it sounds like a bunch of crap. There are no strings on "Happy", Keith has stated in interviews going back to '72 that he played all the guitars & bass on that one, with Jimmy M. on drums, and Mick T. stated in a 1980 interview that he played bass on "Shine A Light". Heck, even Wyman confirms that it's Taylor playing bass on the final take of "Tumbling Dice". Crappola, I tell you! Did they bother to credit Bobby Whitlock with the electric piano on "Just Want To See His Face"? If they fixed any credits, they should've fixed that!
no bobby whitlock in the credits...

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 15, 2010 20:56

Another change which seems erroneous now has Clydie King listed as the only backing vocalist on TD, where the old credits name Clydie, Vanetta "and friend". Surely that is indeed a group of women, not just one, singing beautifully on my favourite song of all time ?

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:02

oldfool
What a bunch of bollocks about Charlie's participation! That's not him playing drums neither on Happy nor Shine A Light. It's not his style or sound. I believe more in the original liner notes that list Jimmy Miller.

Nor is it Charlie on the outro of Tumbling Dice as we learned recently from the Andy John's interview that it's Jimmy Miller saving the day. If they're going to redo the liner notes, it sure would be nice if it wasn't done as revisionist history.

Date: May 15, 2010 21:14

i can´t hear neither bobby keys or jim price and no nicky hopkins during the whole "sweet black angel"
i love this song, but i think it comes along without piano, trumpet & sax....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 15, 2010 21:43

skipstone
Charlie did say something about Bill Plummer not being there. Is he in there?

Charlie didnt say he wasnt. He was asked what it was like working with Plummer and he replied "Who's Bill Plummer?"

Charlie wouldnt have worked with him as Plummer only added his parts at the overdub session in LA.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 16, 2010 00:54

...and again special thanks to Matt Clifford ! We would have missed him...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2010 01:05

I think I read in the new liner notes "co-produced by Don Was".

Imho this wave of revisionism is going too far...

Date: May 16, 2010 01:23

dcba

not the "original" 18 exile songs.
(only) the bonus section is produced by jimmy miller, don was & the glimmer twins.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 16, 2010 01:45

Betcha it was Don that screwed about with bonus disc Loving Cup! angry smiley

Posted by: CMan ()
Date: May 16, 2010 02:17

Seems like they pasted in the "Sway" credits for "Happy" (and added Ian in the process). Matt Clifford was reportedly there when Taylor added his guitar to "Plundered My Soul", so his credit makes sense. Mick Taylor once said that the "friend" credited with "Tumbling Dice" backing vocals along with Clydie and Vanetta was in fact him.

Date: May 16, 2010 14:39

CMan
Seems like they pasted in the "Sway" credits for "Happy" (and added Ian in the process). Matt Clifford was reportedly there when Taylor added his guitar to "Plundered My Soul", so his credit makes sense. Mick Taylor once said that the "friend" credited with "Tumbling Dice" backing vocals along with Clydie and Vanetta was in fact him.

but on "sway" there is no keith on guitar.....and no brass...
maybe there is a song in the pipeline we all don´t know about :-)

Happy:
Mick: vocals, percussion, guitar
Keith: guitar, acustic guitar, lead vocals
Charlie: drums
Bill: bass
Mick T: guitar
Bobby: sax, percussion
Jim: trumpet
Nicky: piano
Ian: piano
Paul Buckmaster: strings
Jimmy: drums

...great to hear all those in one song, a song with brass & strings!!!

Date: May 16, 2010 18:04

Well it's no surprise that UME has made some mistakes - afterall, the back of Goats Head Soup has Angie as an ABKCO Music copyright.

Sorry Gazza, I keep taking what Charlie said about Bill Plummer out of context - mostly because I find it to be so damn funny.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:11

these liner note errors are slghtly upsetting....especially in cases where it was correct for the
first issue and screwed up for the reissue. makes me question their credibility on other things.
i don't like that they think we're fools..and wouldn't notice. if they are going to take the time to do it..do it right.

seems like it might be a minor miracle that they got the songs in correct order, used the correct cover art and spelled
the band's name correctly.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 18:33 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 16, 2010 18:12

dcba

I was joking of course : MJ is fully aware that Jimmy Miller was a prince, Don Was is only a butler...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-16 18:12 by dcba.

Date: May 16, 2010 18:12

Just look at the Virgin reissue then.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 16, 2010 23:56

speaking of errors, the date of the 1969 press conference in the poorly made Stones in Exile film is also wrong.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: May 17, 2010 02:09

Hold on people..Just because it says "Billy Plumber on Zoom Bass" does not mean that Wyman did not play on the original track. If you notice the way the credits are given on all previous releases it merely points out any guest musicians as well as Rolling Stones Members who played an instrument different from their main instrument.

Charlie

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 17, 2010 11:53

It's a crying shame they didn't include the original handwritten liner notes on the 2 disc version. And the 12-page booklet seems like a rush job with the weirdely cropped pics (tongue twice cut off). Think I'll get my '81 vinyl copy from the attic...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 17, 2010 15:46

Maybe Andrew Loog Oldham´s a bit disappointed.

When Rolled Gold was re-released in 2007 he got credits as producer for Brown Sugar....

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:29

Look at the mistakes at the new website.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 17, 2010 16:34

Who wrote the new liner notes and who provided the info? Hope it wasn't Mick or Keith. Hopefully they went to Bill. Don't think anyone else from around that time who's still alive could possibly be reliable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-17 16:34 by Silver Dagger.

Date: May 17, 2010 17:14

So maybe Mick couldn't be bothered after all.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: May 17, 2010 19:42

<<What a bunch of bollocks about Charlie's participation! That's not him playing drums neither on Happy nor Shine A Light. It's not his style or sound. I believe more in the original liner notes that list Jimmy Miller.>>

I agree and I would go even a step further. I doubt that Charlie played drums on this record entirely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home