Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: HISTORIC Exile On South Main Street CALIFORNIA 1972
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 25, 2010 05:23

Main Street, Los Angeles, California

So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly...
Hills, that is... Swimming pools, movie stars
 St. Pierre Rd., Bel Air, California

Click to view GOOGLE MAP

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 18:58 by schillid.

Date: May 25, 2010 05:28

GOOGLE STREET VIEW
(Click for walking tour!)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 18:58 by schillid.

Date: May 31, 2010 06:58

CAST

THE ROLLING STONES Himself ........................................... ....................................... Mick Jagger Himself ........................................... ....................................... Charlie Watts Himself ........................................... ....................................... Bill Wyman Himself ........................................... ....................................... Mick Taylor Himself ........................................... ....................................... Keith Richards
STONES ENTOURAGE President of Rolling Stones Records............... ....................................... Marshall Chess Personal Assistant ................................ ....................................... Chris O'Dell Security .......................................... ....................................... Tony Funches Security........................................... ....................................... ?
ON THE STREET Traffic Cop........................................ ....................................... ? Pedestrian ........................................ ....................................... ? Girls In Doorway .................................. ....................................... ?, ? Shopkeeper......................................... ....................................... ? Pedestrian ..........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ....................................... ? Pedestrian......................................... ....................................... ? Pedestrian ........................................ ....................................... ? Guys In Theater Box Office......................... ....................................... ?, ? Pedestrian ........................................ ....................................... ?
AT THE JUKE JOINT Man With Sunglasses ............................... ....................................... ? Old Man ........................................... ....................................... ? Man Outside ....................................... ....................................... ? Shoe Shine Lady ................................... ....................................... ? Woman.............................................. ....................................... ? Kid Looking In Window ............................. ....................................... ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 18:59 by schillid.

Date: June 1, 2010 04:55

SUNSET SOUND TODAY...
Click for Google Map walking tour

6650 Sunset Blvd... still at the same location.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 18:59 by schillid.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: June 1, 2010 06:27

both charlie and Marshall Chess are previewing their roles as Ray Davies lookalikes.

Date: June 18, 2010 02:47

MAIN STREET Walking Tour

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 19:00 by schillid.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: June 18, 2010 11:06

Very very nice job,shillid !
As far as I can rememeber, I didn't get there when I was in L.A .

Some very nice and old pictures here as well :

[www.csulb.edu]
[www.csulb.edu]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 18, 2010 12:17

I just can't believe my eyes, schillid. What an amazing job. This is great. Thanks a lot.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 17, 2011 02:40

I'm headed to Los Angeles and looked up this thread to see about walking this little path. However, what kind of neighborhood is this tour in?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 17, 2011 04:56

Wouldn't advise a visit to those Exile locations in downtown LA today.

Downtown now is a mixture of fancy new skyscrapers (lawyer's offices predominate) and expensive hotels and, oh yes...a few blocks away hundreds of thousands of homeless and crackheads.

Date: September 17, 2011 05:04

Sounds like most big cities, but I will take your advice. When I last visited downtown LA I see why no one goes there, like they do Chicago's Loop and Manhattan: there is nothing there.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: September 17, 2011 11:33

nice thread!

Date: September 17, 2011 14:06

Brilliant thread.

Date: September 17, 2011 16:49

This is sure an old thread... And I still like it.

I love this period of the Stones' music and history, and I found that bit of film by Robert Frank fascinating... so many Exile shots from this

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 17, 2011 19:20

WOW!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for this thread.

Re: HISTORIC Exile On South Main Street
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 17, 2011 20:05

dcba
Looks like the place has been gentrified somewhat, no?

emphasis on the somewhat. Looks like the dealers and gang bangers have taken over to me. Those skinny white boys probably wouldn't last long on that stroll in 2011. Well maybe Keith, if he had his guitar and money for a bag. lol
I love the way schliid laid out these photos though. Cool work. peace.

Date: September 17, 2011 21:32

I was just looking at Google Earth and Bing Maps for a closer look at the St Pierre rd. House where Mick lived and as I zoomed out you can see that only one thousand feet North East(?), to the upper right is the location of Sharon Tate's Cielo Drive home where we know what happened.

Although by that time Manson & Co. were on trial and perhaps near conviction, there were other unindicted Manson crazies still out on the loose. I wonder if Mick and Keith were aware of this at that time and did they take precautions?

Did Keith start carrying a blade then? A shot gun would have been very handy too!

Always bring a gun to a knife fight!

Did they have a copy of The White Album in the home?

You can go to you tube and see some of the unidicted crazy Manson Girls who were still on the loose in 1971 with shaved heads (and??) Knives singing the McCartney tune If You Want It Here It Is Come And Get It:

They should have fired their Real Estate Broker!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-18 06:03 by deadegad.

Date: September 18, 2011 01:55

Along this line, where was the home where the Stones rehearsed for the 1969 tour? I know it was in Beverly Hills/Bel Air was it not?

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 18, 2011 03:03

Very nice work on all this - thanks!!

Date: September 18, 2011 05:42

LA is my turf. I was born and grew up here.
A few explanations re "walking tours." St. Pierre Road is in Bel Air, quite a few hillsides and canyons from the Cielo Drive house in BeverlyHills. Bel Air is real mansions, and I blieve this is where Bianca wished to stay.

You would find tight security in Bel Air and slightly less tight in Beverly Hills.
Walking essentially is not allowed.

The Laurel Canyon house that Stephen Stills owned circa 1969 and where the Stones did some rehearsing is in a much funkier area some 8 to 10 miles east off Sunset Blvd.

The Exile "locations" are another eight to ten miles east, and believe me the Stones would never venture to "the Mission district" near Main Street today. Dangerous and sad.

Sunset Sound was always so much fun to visit. It's near Sunset and Vine not far from the that very nice building that was the headquarters of RCA, where the Stones first visited LA. Now it's a film school of sorts. Most of the clubs the Stones liked to hang out in are long gone. There are at least 7 million more people in LA today than there were then. Traffic is mostly a nightmare.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 18, 2011 17:44

Absolutely fantastic thread. The Frank footage blew me away when I first saw it a couple years ago. My favorite album, and the best album of all time.

The most famous Beatles street is located in an expensive area of London, the most famous Stones street is in a dirty, run down area of town. Somehow, that's appropriate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-09-18 17:46 by drbryant.

Date: September 18, 2011 18:03

In case you might have wondered, "morrison hotel, where Henry Diltz quickly shot the cover of the Doors album in 1970,is a mile or two away from the "Exile" area.

Date: September 18, 2011 19:58

stonesrule
In case you might have wondered, "morrison hotel, where Henry Diltz quickly shot the cover of the Doors album in 1970,is a mile or two away from the "Exile" area.

Even closer to the area where The Stones are seen walking on 5th Street is the Hard Rock Cafe, the back side of The Morrison Hotel album, at 5th Street and Wall Street. It's long gone apparently. Today it's a Green Market:

[www.feelnumb.com]

I've always wanted to visit these sights but I'll take your word on it that it is indeed unsafe. I guess security rules out walking around in Bel Air and high hedge rows prevent seeing much of anything. It would be tacky as well. I've looked up film locations for famous LA movies like Heat, LA Confidential, Training Day and countless others but likewise some areas are regarded as dodgy at best or very unsafe. I would love to drive a car through that cement LA River overflow area and chase another car, or be chased though. LOL!

Date: September 18, 2011 21:30

stonesrule

Here's The Morrison Hotel 'then and now:'

[www.feelnumb.com]

Date: September 18, 2011 22:59

I drove around Bel Air looking for some of Elvis' homes the last time I was in LA. Yeah, security is tight, but no one stopped me to ask what I was doing. However I did get a sense that I was being watched at all times. When I return to LA in a couple days I plan on going back to the Bel Air area to see a couple of architectural wonders.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 24, 2013 11:10

Thanks for all the great work Schillid!

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 24, 2013 11:13

Please make this thread a "great forum link / popular thread" on the main page, BV! (And thanks for all your hard work too! Bv )

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 24, 2013 11:41

Folks, this is very good including a side trip with Nix to China.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 24, 2013 12:03

Cool threat, folks!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-24 12:03 by Meise.

Date: July 25, 2013 05:24

Meise
Cool threat, folks!!!

I wasn't threatening you...
winking smiley

Assume you meant thread... so thanks

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home