Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re-recording an old track.
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:36

Since all this re-release stuff and overdubbing and changing lyrics on the origional recording I was just wondering......

Now I know it's sacrilege and I wouldn't totally be in favour but what if...just what if The Stones re-recorded an old track, any track really and tried to better it, I wonder what it would sound like and what they would do different. Perhaps even try to recreate the same sound as it was when first recorded.

I'm not sure if this has been done before by them or even any other band, what does anyone think?

Just think of a re-release of Let it Bleed all with re-recorded tracks, it would be interesting if nothing else, I suppose Stripped was as near as it gets, and that was very good.

Re: Re-recording an old track.
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:39

i'm free, spider and the fly, beast of burden, let's spend the night together and the other toshiba "re-do's" come to mind...

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:40

Mick did new vocals over his mumbling on "So Young"... ;-)
1978 -> 1994

Posted by: TERRY H ()
Date: May 18, 2009 23:54

The Stones' original contract gave ownership of the songs to the publishing company, not to the band (or worse yet, to Mick & Keith). They dismissed that clause when they signed the contract, as not applying to them because they didn't write songs then and didn't think that they ever would. If Andrew Oldham hadn't locked them in the kitchen...

Of course, they get the royalties, but they do not own the publishing rights to anything that they recorded before they set up their own label in 1970.

They spent a good deal of time in court over this one years later, with the result that they lost and it was ruled that they could not re-record any of their old songs, unless they did them live.

At least the publishing company has sued some folks over stealing the songs. It's said that Mick'n'Keith got $1.7 million from the infamous Snickers "Satisfaction" lawsuit, but the publishers got the lion's share of the settlement.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 19, 2009 00:45

Wasn't that the point of STRIPPED?

PECMAN

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 19, 2009 03:29

"Of course, they get the royalties, but they do not own the publishing rights to anything that they recorded before they set up their own label in 1970."

WRONG. Anything that is copyright ABKCO Music is not theirs - hence, all of Sticky Fingers and the few on Exile.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2009 07:04

Ahhhh bit like goin' back to an old lover with some new tricks ... It usually never works....

AHHH you filthy beast get outta here .. Always thought you were really weird!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: May 19, 2009 09:31

Mick's not the singer he was for a start and the digital production would be too clean and loud. The songs would not breathe in the same way.

Date: May 19, 2009 12:34

The songs would not breathe in the same way.

What a great expression, I do think your right tho', but can you imagine what aftermath would sound like?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 19, 2009 12:37

It'd be cool if they could re-record some of the best outtakes.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 14:27

it's been done for yrs in country music . for the most part it's usually when artists switched lables and the new lable wanting to cash in on their old hits.

Date: May 19, 2009 16:08

Yeah but in Nashville everything truly can sound the same.

Date: May 19, 2009 16:09

Really, Honest I Do, Spider And The Fly, Not Fade Away and Sweet Virginia were fantastic 'updates' - especially Honest I Do and Spider...

Date: May 19, 2009 17:10

not to forget Wild Horses. Brilliant version.

Date: May 19, 2009 17:11

DandelionPowderman

When was this recorded and were can i find it?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: May 19, 2009 17:13

pgarof
DandelionPowderman

When was this recorded and were can i find it?

On Stripped! Video should be also up on youtube. Best version next to Knebworth grinning smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2009 03:40

>I'm not sure if this has been done before by them or even any other band, what does anyone think?

Bowie has re-recorded many of his old songs. New York Dolls just re-recorded "Trash" for their new album.

Actually the Stones did re-record a song before: "Poison Ivy".

Date: May 20, 2009 04:40

Glam Descendant
>I'm not sure if this has been done before by them or even any other band, what does anyone think?

Bowie has re-recorded many of his old songs. New York Dolls just re-recorded "Trash" for their new album.

Actually the Stones did re-record a song before: "Poison Ivy".

Where can I find the re-recorded version of Poison Ivy?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: May 20, 2009 04:42

>Where can I find the re-recorded version of Poison Ivy?

Both versions are on the MORE HOT ROCKS cd currently available.

Date: May 20, 2009 04:59

Nah, Wild Horses is terrible. That and I'm Free should have been nixed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2130
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home