Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ladies and Gentlemen | Trailer
Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: May 8, 2010 23:00

...a bit too short, but great pictures of charlie & mick near the end...
i don´t know if it´s an official one - but nice to watch & listen...

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen | Trailer
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 8, 2010 23:09

I´d call it a teaser more than a trailer winking smiley

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: May 8, 2010 23:13

yeah, more a teaser :-)

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 9, 2010 00:19

A bit strange for a trailer. Just a piece of the beginning of the movie and no music.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 9, 2010 00:38

I seriously doubt it's official.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 9, 2010 00:49

one of the most exciting moments in all of life right here. classic classic classic. uh oh they come to rule

beelyboy...Think About it

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: May 9, 2010 01:12

ummmm thats not the trailer. Thats simply the first 55 secords of the film.

Date: May 9, 2010 01:24

when charlie first tentatively checks out the kit in the opening seconds when he sits down at kit it's so mind blowing to me. when first saw in nyc at Quad outfitted theatre the FIRST bit of actual 'music' you hear is charlie goin' round the kit a bit like u hear right here in this clip....ONLY it was so LOUD and CLEAR in the theatre....i had NEVER even expected fidelity that rich, volume that clear! bottom end so powerful...sound system SOOO totally worked out specifically for this experience. it was soooo major. soooo major. to this day i love this footage. wow.
it was AWE inspiring; almost frightening, in a good way!!!!

i mean, this thing was like a crazy train that was coming through with all this power and beauty...

to those who would ever dare to doubt or diminish bill wyman. well, i wish really wish u cudda been w me on some of those '72 tour dates east coast usa. THIS is THE stuff of legend.

it CRUSHED in that movie theatre. i was stunned. the movie ended and just sat right there dead stuck til the crowd emptied out and a new one came in and they started it again. wow. this thing FINALLY FINALLY gets a re-release HOW many decades later???
well, glad to see it around... it's kinda like twenty years or more too late in some ways....but i'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth...well not too much

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 9, 2010 01:30

Beelyboy
when charlie first tentatively checks out the kit in the opening seconds when he sits down at kit it's so mind blowing to me.

Indeed just totally mindblowing! But it's not tentatively checking out the drums -its intended that Watts makes a lot of noise to build up energy while the guitars and bass plug in and Jagger clowns around. Brilliant!

Mathijs

Date: May 9, 2010 01:39

oh? cool! it certainly worked!! interesting....
i mean i totally FELT it! enormous enormously wonderful! and all that sf and eoms stuff to draw from?.... wow. it was seventy straight minutes of total effort. exhausting cleansing healing riveting rocking roaring. this is so so grand...the movie not really 'shot' well or anything...it's ALL about the music and i am totally humbled by everything they touched these years. a total gift. younger fans you are SO in for the sublime treat of treats. i totally promise.

please try to see it with a great sound system. (and/or GOOD headphones w decent head room on system amp etc...) because imo it was recorded (and or 'finished' 'produced' 'dubbed' (whatever) with really really good fidelity!! it's a total GIft to have these documents survive the era!!!! imo. this is the HOly Grail of rock and roll imo. THIS is it! for me. i'm sure there's great footage from sixties and early seventies we have never seen/heard...yet. some of the AMAZING stuf i have on boots from the general era is stuff they probably have film of....one hopes....
i don't know ONE reason why they would have virtually HIDDEN this thing from the culture for over thirty five years but there you go... here it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 01:47 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 9, 2010 01:48

I. Can't. Wait. To watch this.

Date: May 9, 2010 04:13

Strap yourself in...

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: May 9, 2010 05:49

threw on my boot of this today

YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: May 9, 2010 07:20

Mathijs
Beelyboy
when charlie first tentatively checks out the kit in the opening seconds when he sits down at kit it's so mind blowing to me.

Indeed just totally mindblowing! But it's not tentatively checking out the drums -its intended that Watts makes a lot of noise to build up energy while the guitars and bass plug in and Jagger clowns around. Brilliant!

Mathijs
uh, i realize it's exciting that this dvd is coming out, but seriously, is this like picasso picking up a paintbrush? no. it's just charlie warming up. geez. it's cool and all, but brilliant? come on.

Date: May 9, 2010 08:29

uh, u missed the pernt bernie. and yes it's picasso. at this point, this man, this band, this year, these venues...this film...yep. his beyond the blue(s) period...surely u know....his 'think he dynamite' period, shortly before the brief flirtation with the impressionism of his paint it black and blue period...
...surely u have never seen charlie's cartoon work on the back of 'between the buttons' ??? pablo was bitter; that's all i'm authorized to say, that's all that would be kind to say....
just joshin' no offense intended k? just inspired tonight and up late so here small rant bout why the crack of those loud drums made me so happy back in the day when i went to that quad setup in manhattan movie theatre, not sure exactly what to expect....tho i HAD seen several East Coast stops of the 72' tour, fairly closeup and personal...

can't explain it better don't think. the volume, the sonics were revolutionary and the breathless moment i first heard ( OR ANYONE FIRST HEARD) these kinds of sonics and CLEAR VOLUME VOLUME VOLUME on a rock and roll band in a fricken movie theatre...even moreso than Woodstock that had happened three years before and was only a harbinger for these kinds of volume and clarity....it was revolutionary. how cud u miss that? anyway... it was revolutionary to get this kind of engineering RESPECT and capability and delivery of this entire genre.... i was consumed, and Mathijs had a cool tech explanation about the intentional tension and cover-fire these opening shots had behind them....

honestly sorry u can't seem to 'get' that kind of excitement at such a new and amazing COMING OF AGE of the entire rock thing...cause charlie can get that over pretty naturally....and does before the first count off... mebbe he thinks he dynamite or sumfin....dunno.... this is the deal this movie. these are chords, riffs licks intensity full throttle full personnel thang...in it's peak glory....and when that loud beautiful kit started goin' off in a MOVIE THEATRE !!!!! like an EXPLOSION of CASUAL ARTILLERY, it's best to take notice....man they al came to PLAY!! keith's intensity visceral. those first chords. yes, that first hit. beautiful. rock on bernard.
hot smiley

beelyboy...Think About it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-09 09:10 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 10, 2010 02:25

It's nice, - for the Charlie bit.

Personally I really like the Brown Sugar intro scene from C. Blues/ Rewind where
Mick is coming on stage through the tongue . .

When L&G comes out now, I hope they did some reworking. Especially light and the cutting!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 10, 2010 02:28

Beelyboy
when charlie first tentatively checks out the kit in the opening seconds when he sits down at kit it's so mind blowing to me. when first saw in nyc at Quad outfitted theatre the FIRST bit of actual 'music' you hear is charlie goin' round the kit a bit like u hear right here in this clip....ONLY it was so LOUD and CLEAR in the theatre....i had NEVER even expected fidelity that rich, volume that clear! bottom end so powerful...sound system SOOO totally worked out specifically for this experience. it was soooo major. soooo major. to this day i love this footage. wow.
it was AWE inspiring; almost frightening, in a good way!!!!

i mean, this thing was like a crazy train that was coming through with all this power and beauty...

to those who would ever dare to doubt or diminish bill wyman. well, i wish really wish u cudda been w me on some of those '72 tour dates east coast usa. THIS is THE stuff of legend.

it CRUSHED in that movie theatre. i was stunned. the movie ended and just sat right there dead stuck til the crowd emptied out and a new one came in and they started it again. wow. this thing FINALLY FINALLY gets a re-release HOW many decades later???
well, glad to see it around... it's kinda like twenty years or more too late in some ways....but i'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth...well not too much

I saw it in the theater with the quad too. It was every bit as good as you say.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 10, 2010 04:09

unfortunately my cinema experience is negative.
The movie itself doesn't do it for me.
Yes - amazing performances and great to see the band in their prime, but the dark lighting, zero interaction with the crowd (unlike what you see on Gimme Shelter movie for example) are big turn offs for me.
It just lacks a bit of atmosphere and is therefore a bit of a drag to watch all the way thru.
A real pity as it could have the BEST !!
I concur with CousinC - hopefully there's some reworking with the lighting bit...

Date: May 10, 2010 04:54

Yes, it's the same with me!

Particularly for these days the film is too sterile and one-dimensional.
No crowd, no backstage or surroundings, no interesting cuts and too much Jagger!
You can hardly see the band!
Plus the bad lightning!

I mean it is still a very nice film. But particularly for "normal" people it can get boring.

It's a pity,really and a wasted opportunity to show the Stones in their prime!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:19

Beely: "i don't know ONE reason why they would have virtually HIDDEN this thing from the culture for over thirty five years but there you go...."

1. Mick was embarrassed about too much pinky ring footage? lol
2. didn't Abcko contractual release state no live song versions released for 5 years? which is why we never got the '72 and '73 live albums we should have.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 10, 2010 08:18

There is a HUGE difference between seeing a movie in a theatre and watching it at home on video.

L&G was designed to be a limited-engagement release movie..."a quadraphonic film concert" I believe it was called.

I'll never forget the huge stacks of speakers on each side of the screen at the Plitt Century Plaza Theatre where it played in LA in '74.

If you didn't see it at one of those limited quad screenings, you missed A LOT.

I personally love the fact that you don't see the concert audience until the very end. It's a Stones fantasy world and you're in the middle of it. No distractive cutaways of fans in dated clothes...just Mick and the Stones at the top of their game, frozen in time. The audience in the theatre is the audience.

Also, I can't believe that anyone would complain about the "cutting" of this film, because I think it's one of the most brilliantly edited performance films of all time. The pace of the editing is always in sync to the mood/tempo of the songs. Even in faster songs where there are lots of cuts, they are practically seamless, unlike the hyperactive editing on done on videos of their recent tours.

Yes, yes, I know this film is "Jagger-centric"--and that's probably an understatement. But if a filmmaker has to choose between showing something moving (Mick) or something static (Bill) it's an obvious choice. That's why they are called motion pictures....

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: May 10, 2010 10:54

This doesn't look or sound like its been sourced from a bootleg. The A/V quality is very good quality, apart from the loss of colour.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 10, 2010 12:10

Beelyboy and loog droog, very good points and recollections - especially the one about the theatre audience being the audience being the reason for not not showing the audience in the actual film... there was so much experimantation going on in this film that is lost along the years. Especially with us who have only seen some bootleg DVDs circulating. I hope I'd could experience the movie in a theare with proper technical aquipment. If that is possible these days.

(This reminds me of seeing the Ashby movie for the first time when in theathre back in 1983 - that was my first experience seeing the Stones as live as it was possible for me at the time...)

Now to think of it: The Stones have for a long time tried to capture the unique feeling and atmosphere their concerts have with different kind of camera techniques and footage possibilities - that seems to be almost a continuing theme: Ladies and Gents, The Ashby Movie, The Stones at the Max, Shine A Light... in all of them the idea seems to "cut the crap" - just the band on stage, and that's it - nothing else matters. As it should be. (It is no wonder that FOUR FLICKS is quite generally seen the best Stones 'product' of 'recent' years.) One can think whatever of the results but I think they've been more succesfull - capturing the concert-feeling - with the films than with concert albums (minus YA-YA'S!: Ladies and Gents is The Ya-Ya's of 1972 tour!)

Then we have all those The Stones in Park, Gimme Shelter, CS Blues stuff that are focuced on some other things as well.

- Doxa

Date: May 10, 2010 19:14

Each to his own.
But unfortunately the film never really did it for me!

But I must say as a European I never saw it in a cinema. Only bootleg videos.
I had a similar experience with At the Max which I found fantastic on a Imax screen and not that great on video!

Reg. the cutting I must confess that my English is not getting better with age and especially when tired.
So I didn't mean the editing and the flow of the film, but things like too much Jagger, no crowd, etc.
And after all the film wasn't too succesful in cinemas.

But I can see the difference as it was originally planned for those big houses and not the homevideo.

I'm looking forward to watch it again in a restored version.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 10, 2010 19:43

Doxa
One can think whatever of the results but I think they've been more succesfull - capturing the concert-feeling - with the films than with concert albums (minus YA-YA'S!: Ladies and Gents is The Ya-Ya's of 1972 tour!)
- Doxa

Yes, I agree. But one should keep in mind that the Stones are a band where visuals are an important part of the mystic. Until 1982, music and visuals complemented each other perfectly. From 1989 onwards, we saw the invention of the Rolling Stones Orchestra, and along with it, the music itself becoming gradually less important. Thats why later audio live albums cant hold a candle compared to live music up until 1982 in general and until 1973 in particular. During 1969 until 1973, and again in 1978 in my opinion, music and visuals formed a perfect match. Thats why I probably could even watch a silent concert movie from 1973, but not from, lets say the Bigger Bang tour. And thats why audio live recordings from the above mentioned periods can stand very well on their own feet without visuals, while later live recordings without visuals seem to sound a bit dull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-10 19:47 by alimente.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 10, 2010 20:03

CousinC
Each to his own.
But unfortunately the film never really did it for me!

I had a similar experience with At the Max which I found fantastic on a Imax screen and not that great on video!

Reg. the cutting I must confess that my English is not getting better with age and especially when tired.
So I didn't mean the editing and the flow of the film, but things like too much Jagger, no crowd, etc.
And after all the film wasn't too succesful in cinemas.

But I can see the difference as it was originally planned for those big houses and not the homevideo.

I'm looking forward to watch it again in a restored version.

I need to say that I have had the same impressions as you do - too much Jagger, no audience interaction - but I can see the 'point' of the decisions for the film better now thanks to these guys here (and elsewhere) of its original cinema-concept! The film just doesn't work so well with DVD format as it was originally intended.

- Doxa

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 10, 2010 20:32

CousinC

I had a similar experience with At the Max which I found fantastic on a Imax screen and not that great on video!post
>>I never saw it in a cinema<<
Neither did I ,CousinC ....
I wish I would see it in a movie theater .

>>this film is "Jagger-centric"<<<
Seems the filmmaker has shot /filmed Mick as if he was in love with him ...
Take a look at "Love in Vain "

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: May 10, 2010 23:02

Hey Sway - Taylor get's his time in: Love In Vain (on camera)
still remember everyone talking after that number when I saw it in Century City
(LA) back in 74 - Mick T. got their attention, lot's of: WOW comments!!!

I'll be there when it comes back to a theather!!!!

MLC

Posted by: stonesseventytwo ()
Date: May 11, 2010 03:58

this is not a trailer at all. Same old crappy quality that we have been watching on bootleg videos over the last 36 years. Glad they are finally releasing this. Hope it is as good as the original but am not so sure. They included snippets on Video Rewind ( an official release) but they were just taken off the bootleg copies, believe it or not angry smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home