Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Cotchford sessions '69
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: March 26, 2009 23:22

I recently learnt that George Chkiantz was the sound engineer at the sessions who took place early 69 at Brian's house when he played with several guests planning future projects. Have you any information about these sessions or never read some George Chkiantz interview where he mentioned these facts and, more important, who was present?
Thanks in advance for your precious help.

Re: Cotchford sessions '69
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 27, 2009 00:14

Was that when Hendrix recorded with Brian?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 27, 2009 00:17

Ask Anna Wohlin who spend those last months with him.
I hightly doubt any important sessions took place.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 27, 2009 00:23

Other than Ms Wholin, what about Tom Keylock?
Or the gardener?
There were runours of him playing with (actually joining on a forthcoming tour) Alexis Korner's band of the time...but again, I suspect it was a plan that came to nothing.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 27, 2009 01:17

Isn't it more a case of George was supposed to mix jams recorded at Cotchford rather than him being present when they were recorded.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:21

Baboon Bro
...she's dead....

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:22

jlowe
Other than Ms Wholin, what about Tom Keylock?
Or the gardener?
There were runours of him playing with (actually joining on a forthcoming tour) Alexis Korner's band of the time...but again, I suspect it was a plan that came to nothing.
...dead dead dead....

Date: March 27, 2009 10:34

Would be more interesting to contact George Chkiantz and verify the possible existence of tapes and where they are.
Anybody here has some link with Chkiantz or knows how to contact him?

Date: March 27, 2009 11:13

lunar!!!
Baboon Bro
...she's dead....

Where is the source that she is dead? When did she die?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 27, 2009 12:27

Sound engineer or recording engineer? The presence of a sound engineer doesnt necessarily mean that the sessions were recorded. In case these were just informal jams with musician friends it is even likely that they were not professionally recorded, with the possible exception of cheap cassette tapes or the like which might have been stolen along with other stuff from Crotchford in the hours after Brians death.

One might think that if any recordings from those sessions actually exist, in all those years at least a fragment would have turned up, if only through someone who tried to make some quick bucks in the underground market.

Date: March 27, 2009 12:41

I'd throw in my last 25c that it is a plain myth.
This issue pops up every now & then.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 27, 2009 12:45

The tapes exist and at least two people have them - believe it or not smiling smiley

Date: March 27, 2009 12:48

Since ya know it I reckon ya have heard it or even possess it, silkcut!
Let us know some more, will ya! smiling smiley
I'd be happy to be wrong.
So.. Is it more than a few minutes of noisy rehearsals outta tune?
And how do we know its true?
Talk about well preserved secrets..

Date: March 27, 2009 13:16

James Karnbach definitely owns a tape, or tapes of some Brian recordings from 1969.

Have a read of the 'cotchford tapes' thread...

[members7.boardhost.com]

That forum has nothing to do with the wacky lars lot.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 27, 2009 13:35

I'm sure everybody around here would be VERY keen on hearing those tapes. But I'm equally sure we'd be disappointed if we'd really get the opportunity someday. Can't imagine it would be more than half-baked jam sessions.

Date: March 27, 2009 13:45

Greenblues
I'm equally sure we'd be disappointed if we'd really get the opportunity someday.

Depends on your expectations. grinning smiley

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 27, 2009 15:04

True. Should I put on "No Expectations" then? ;-)

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 27, 2009 15:10

Yes, I've heard those sessions which had Brian and Jimi on guitar, John Entwhistle on bass, Kieth Moon on drums and John Lennon on vocals. The most amazing music I've ever listened too.. SHIT, is that my alarm clock blaring????

Date: March 27, 2009 16:19

Should I assume that if the tapes are in Karnbach possession, we can forget 'bout 'em?

Date: March 27, 2009 16:56

straycat58
Should I assume that if the tapes are in Karnbach possession, we can forget 'bout 'em?

He supposedly was trying to get some kind of licensing deal going for the use of the music in a documentary by the BBC, but that fell through.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 27, 2009 21:32

lunar - Aren't you mistaking Anna Wohlin for Janet Lawson (the nurse) who died recently? As far as I'm aware Wohlin is still with us.

Date: March 27, 2009 22:25

Blimey, it's possibly total bullshit but glimpsing at that thread that His Majesty pointed out, led me to another thread with this:

Posted by Roxanne on 1/26/2009, 8:36:35, in reply to "Re: "Sure I Do"....etc. "

Oh boy.. the tape, single tape, that is, was FOUND by james (Karnbach) at olympic studios in the mid 70s.. He went there, he found a tape that said, 'brian jones' no one cared, so he took it.. and thats it! its NOT from cotchford, it was work done at olympic and was james' lucky find! thats it! end of mystery..and james DOES NOT have any tapes from cotchford, we've been talking about this since i know him: 1977! he would have played them for me had he had them, believe me! if there were tapes, and there probably were they are probably owned by keith richards who probably has 95% of the things taken from Brians house..

contradicted slightly by the more recent post:

Posted by Roxanne on 2/11/2009, 3:48:55

Well well, I spoke to James Karnbach in NYC last nite on the phone, AND he says he does have Cotchford tapes! He said he's had them since the 70s...but he never played them to me! Shame shame...he probably thought I'd kill him and steal them! Or maybe, more likely, they were under a pile of things and he was lazy - for years, thats my James!

He said they're jams, and they were put on tape for George Chiantz (spell?) to mix...blues jams and the like... I know Mayall frequented Brian a lot so it's probably him and Brian.. Mayall's wife was in charge of setting up auditions for Brians new band, that was to never be of course........

I want to believe as Mulder's poster said...

Date: March 27, 2009 22:51

Hmm, interesting, the two posts don't quite match up.

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: March 27, 2009 23:31

Baboon Bro
lunar!!!
Baboon Bro
...she's dead....

Where is the source that she is dead? When did she die?

To my knowledge, Anna isn't dead. Now the other lady who was 'officially' at the house at the time of Brian's death, Janet Lawson, is. I think she died last year, from cancer I do believe.

Date: March 28, 2009 00:35

Anna Wohlin has just been interviewed by Mark Paytress for the Mojo 1969 special.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 28, 2009 00:45

While you all try to figure out who's dead and who's alive, here are a couple songs for you.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 28, 2009 12:30

His Majesty
straycat58

He supposedly was trying to get some kind of licensing deal going for the use of the music in a documentary by the BBC, but that fell through.

Even though Karnbach has a large collection, he also has laid claims to owning tapes of concerts that never took place, like Rome '69, or recordings that never took place, like a full final studio version of Chantilly Lace. He also has stated various times that he was in the process of getting clearance to air parts of his collection, but it always "fell through" in the end.

You can use unlicensed music in any documentary if the clip is shorter than 30 seconds, so he could have allowed the BBC to use several 30 seconds clips of his tapes.

Concerning the existance of Brian Jones tapes, I have always found it strange that not even the shortest Brian Jones solo recording has shown up. My best explanation is that Jones simply never recorded anything by himself, other then the DOM soundtrack.

Mathijs

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: March 28, 2009 12:44

Mathijs
His Majesty
straycat58

Even though Karnbach has a large collection, he also has laid claims to owning tapes of concerts that never took place, like Rome '69.

Mathijs

Maybe he is talking about the following:

690400A April: Rome, Italy. Shootings for the film Umano Non Umano! (Human, Not
Human!). Director: Mario Schifano. Producer: Anita Pallenberg & Ettore
Rosboch. Collage-movie, incl. segments with MJ & KR:
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -promo-like; MJ lip-synching and dancing
- Instrumental (KR) -KR playing on a moog synthesizer
Note: This rare movie was probably not premiered before 1971.

Date: March 28, 2009 13:00

The plot thickens, or continues on the expected, disappointing dead end of noone actually owning any unheard Brian Jones tapes.

I seriously doubt Brian never recorded anything other than the DOM soundtrack, but whether anything has survived is a different matter. I guess Mathijs means professional studio recordings though?

Some home recordings(which he recorded with Keith) are talked about in a 1966 NME article about his new Courtfield Road flat, but Anita and others have stated that he tended to destroy his home recordings.

These pics are most likely taken in Courtfield Road flat, you can see the 2 of the giant tape machines mentioned in the article.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-28 13:07 by His Majesty.

Date: March 28, 2009 13:12

Picture with the bijoux dulcimer played in Gomper (correct?). Any date for these pix HM?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home