Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT-Left handed Guitarist
Posted by: martinw ()
Date: May 5, 2010 19:04

I play left-handed as well. The main problem is getting hold of decent left-handed guitars at a fair price - the last time I saw a lefty Tele it was over £2000! There used to be a shop on Leytonstone High Street - Lefty's (naturally) - and it just sold left-handed guitars and basses. It was on the top floor of a music shop, and used to have loads of left-handers. Heaven! Anyone know if it's still there? I also play mandolin, but I have to re-string a right-handed one, never seen a left-handed mandolin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-05 19:05 by martinw.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 5, 2010 22:26

Martinw:

Out of curiosity I did a Google search for left handed mandolin and found many hits. Sites where you could order & buy. Not being a mandolin player myself, I couldn't judge on the prices but I'd have to guess that the seller's are pretty proud of their left handed mandolins! Not for the entry level player anyway. It sounds like you're doing OK with your re-strung righty but I just thought I'd let you know that there do appear to be manufacturers out there who could possibly help you out.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: May 6, 2010 02:01

SilverDagger..Ringo Starr was also left handed as well.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: May 6, 2010 02:10

i am right handed
except
shooting riffle
shovelling
dealing cards

--------------

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: May 6, 2010 02:23

Dick Dale still playing southpaw

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 6, 2010 07:47

tony iommi is a lefty and missing the tips of two fingers

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 6, 2010 17:12

Am I correct in thinking that the reason Hendrix performed with a right-handed guitar was because he initially couldn't afford a left-handed one? I suppose he continued with the upside down Strat because it became part of 'the look'.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 7, 2010 15:41

I thought left-handed guitars weren't around back then.....

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 7, 2010 15:48

Big Al
Am I correct in thinking that the reason Hendrix performed with a right-handed guitar was because he initially couldn't afford a left-handed one? I suppose he continued with the upside down Strat because it became part of 'the look'.

At the time good quality left handed models were very scarce, e.g. Fender and Gibson only made them at special request. So it was just much more easy to take a right handed guitar and turn it over.

Btw, Hendrix strung his guitars the regular way, with the bass strings on the up side.

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2010 22:29

VoodooLounge13
I thought left-handed guitars weren't around back then.....
VoodooLounge13..yea im not sure when the first left handed guitar came out or who it was made by even..would be interesting to find out I cant find anything on the net about it

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: May 8, 2010 00:53

Steve Morse. Lefty who plays Right handed. IMO, he is by far the best Guitarist around. Go see him, he is currently on tour with Deep Purple. Seen him numerous times solo, with The Dixie Dregs and the Hardest working Band around DP. Toss up for me as which I would call the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World", The Rolling Stones or Deep Purple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-08 22:16 by deeppurple.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: May 8, 2010 11:11

Big Al

Yeah but then they say with him turning it over he could do other unique things with the wammy and volume and tone controls. I wouldn't know though. I doubt it. I don't see how there could be a difference.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Date: May 31, 2010 03:42

Keith Richards has also played left-handed before

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: May 31, 2010 05:49

Paul Simon is another lefty who plays right-handed if I'm not mistaken.

Jimi Hendrix did play righty strats turned around and strung lefty, but supposedly he could take a righty and just play it as is, with the strings upside down. I think he does that with one of the Stones guitars in the Gimme Shelter outtakes, the ones with no sound from backstage at MSG. Or maybe he's playing it right-side up, but backwards for him? This can get confusing. Either way, wasn't he able to play a right-handed guitar without restringing it to be left-handed?

It's one thing if you learn how to play a righty upside down without switching the strings around, like, I'm assuming, Albert King and Doyle Bramhall did, a zero starting point is a zero starting point. But to be able to go back and forth at will is mind-boggling to me.

I tried a left-handed guitar before and it was impossible to do anything with it. When I worked in a music store we would occasionally have a lefty come through for a string change. It was so completely foreign, even tuning them was difficult and felt very weird.

Steve Miller use to play a left-hand strat upside down with the strings set-up right-handed, the mirror opposite of and inspired by Hendrix, because he liked the positioning of the control knobs better. There's one like this on the cover of Fly Like an Eagle:

[www.torrentportal.com]

A little hard to tell, but here's another in white:

[www.google.com]

Sorry they're links, but the image url wouldn't work on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-31 06:01 by boogie1969.

Date: May 31, 2010 11:00

colonial
Keith Richards has also played left-handed before
Correction..Keith Richards has also played left-handed before..eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:09

<Btw, Hendrix strung his guitars the regular way, with the bass strings on the up side.>

Really? That must be breaking news!!

Date: May 31, 2010 11:20

Amsterdamned
<Btw, Hendrix strung his guitars the regular way, with the bass strings on the up side.>

Really? That must be breaking news!!
Amsterdamned..yea..at the time is was HOT NEWS hot smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 11:27

Nope, every guitarplayer in 1968 new it.Let alone 2010.

Date: May 31, 2010 11:32

Amsterdamned
Amsterdamned..............................ooOKconfused smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 12:23

colonial
Amsterdamned

I posted a clip on May 5 (previous page) where you can see and hear it,let alone the 10000000000 pictures Hendrix playing the guitar..
So it's rather second hand news.. But there are always people on this board that consider other people's opinion as bullocks and claim to be the one and only truth...cool smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 12:45

Amsterdamned
colonial
Amsterdamned

I posted a clip on May 5 (previous page) where you can see and hear it,let alone the 10000000000 pictures Hendrix playing the guitar..
So it's rather second hand news.. But there are always people on this board that consider other people's opinion as bullocks and claim to be the one and only truth...cool smiley
Amsterdamned..rrrrrrrrr what are ya talking about?... Whats Jimmi Hendrix got to do with a photo of Keith Richards playing a guitar with his left hand..

Date: May 31, 2010 12:55

I'am talking about Mathijs's quote <Btw, Hendrix strung his guitars the regular way, with the bass strings on the up side.>
; stick to the context and everything is ok.winking smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 13:09

Amsterdamned
I'am talking about Mathijs's quote <Btw, Hendrix strung his guitars the regular way, with the bass strings on the up side.>
Amsterdamned..hey mate.. a little advice think before ya speak next time..and if ya not sure. well think about it again..and if ya still not sure..keep ya mouth shut...cheers mate..smoking smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 13:20

colonial
Amsterdamned
Amsterdamned..hey mate.. a little advice think before ya speak next time..and if ya not sure. well think about it again..and if ya still not sure..keep ya mouth shut...cheers mate..smoking smiley

I think before I speak,but if you cannot read in the context,well I'am sorry.
And I certainly don't keep my mouth shut for someone who doesn't know the basics about Hendrix guitarplaying, "in 1968 it was breaking news".confused smiley
Cheers mate,learn your basics before you say something even a beginning guitar player knows.

Date: May 31, 2010 13:34

Amsterdamned...yea..ya right..sorry mate I read it all wrong....cheers.smiling smiley

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: May 31, 2010 13:36

It's a right handed world and a lot of things we lefties just have to do right handed - button a shirt, shoot a semi-automatic shotgun (otherwise the empty shell ejects right in your face) and play instruments use golf where lefty stuff is not available. Me, I just started playing guitar right handed and the one time I got a lefty axe in my hand, it was like starting over so I just bagged it, and continued with way I know. In addition to Doyle II, the great Albert King played a right-strung guitar upside down, although that seems really difficult.

Noel Gallagher is another lefty who plays guitar right handed I'll add to the list.

Date: May 31, 2010 13:44

colonial
Amsterdamned...yea..ya right..sorry mate I read it all wrong....cheers.smiling smiley

Amsterdamned..Im left-handed sometimes I get things all back to front..ya know what I mean...lol.........................sorry

Date: May 31, 2010 13:52

colonial
colonial

Amsterdamned..Im left-handed sometimes I get things all back to front..ya know what I mean...lol.........................sorry

I still wonder which hand is most important in playing the guitar,does it really matter if you are a left handed player or not?

Date: May 31, 2010 13:58

deeppurple
Steve Morse. Lefty who plays Right handed. IMO, he is by far the best Guitarist around. Go see him, he is currently on tour with Deep Purple. Seen him numerous times solo, with The Dixie Dregs and the Hardest working Band around DP. Toss up for me as which I would call the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World", The Rolling Stones or Deep Purple.

In a way Steve is "too good" for Deep Purple..I love his playing .
I prefer the Stones though...

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: May 31, 2010 18:58

The guy from General Public was a lefty,I think. Dont know how good of a player is was, but they were pretty big in their day. Tenderness got a lot of play here on the West Coast. I think he did some stuff with Pete Townsend at one point.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home