Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Hollies
Posted by: tipps ()
Date: April 24, 2010 14:48

Anyone into the Hollies music. I just took out a old cd of theirs. In fact i got 3 and I must say they had so much harmony in their songs that I think they were better than the Bee Gees that iss not including the BG's disco. Any comments?

Re: OT: The Hollies
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:11

Not really into, but there old songs are great to listen to, don't think I can't compare them with the BeeGees to different for me for me the BeeGees made more great songs and they were able to make a very good album (Odessa) Hollies were more a single band.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:12

Love them: Just One Look, I’m Alive, Yes I Will, Bus Stop, Look Through Any Window, Sorry Suzanne et al, are all wonderful recordings. Their rich, harmony-based sound ensured they were one of the stellar single-acts of the 60’s. I’ve always felt it to be a shame that they are somewhat overlooked. Yes, they performed a lot of cover-versions, but the penned a few excellent tracks of their own. On A Carrousel is a favourite of mine.

I saw them in a local theatre a few years back, when Carl Wayne - formerly of The Move - was their lead vocalist. They were terrific. Tony Hicks was considered to be one of Manchester’s very finest guitarists and Bobby Graham was an ace sticksman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-24 15:15 by Big Al.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:17

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:20

Actually, I say ‘cover-versions’, but some of those tracks were penned by Graham Gouldman and given directly to The Hollies for recording. I.E, Bust Stop.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: April 24, 2010 15:22

Great band,all their 60's hits are terrific like so many of the uk bands

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2010 16:52

Love them enough to have named my daughter after Carrie Anne. A very underrated albums band too. If you like UK psych pop then Evolution and Butterfly are well worth checking out.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 24, 2010 16:57

Posted by: kslbass ()
Date: April 24, 2010 17:22

Bobby Elliot was the Holloies' drummer.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: April 24, 2010 17:38

Great band and great vocals!
Loved their singles

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 24, 2010 17:45

The Hollies were one of my absolute favourite groups in the 60's. (Yes, the did several covers which you didn't know at that time).
Their singing was as good as the Beatles or the Beach Boys, if you ask me.

Graham Gouldman (mentioned above) later wrote many songs for 10 cc (which not were my favourites).

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: April 24, 2010 17:52

Silver Dagger
Love them enough to have named my daughter after Carrie Anne. A very underrated albums band too. If you like UK psych pop then Evolution and Butterfly are well worth checking out.

oh yeah , carry anne is a great song, thanks for reminding me !" what's your game now can anybody play?". their 60s songs are the best , though i like the 74 hollies album too , the air that i breathe , curly billy etc.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: April 24, 2010 18:34

The hollies are sure one of my fav: Great vocals--and their "Son of a rotten gambler-Version---just great

Posted by: bernardanderson ()
Date: April 24, 2010 18:39

maybe this is common knowledge but Graham Nash once said that he wrote Carrie Anne for Marianne Faithful but he was too shy to title it Marianne so he called it Carrie Anne instead.

Date: April 24, 2010 18:46

bernardanderson
maybe this is common knowledge but Graham Nash once said that he wrote Carrie Anne for Marianne Faithful but he was too shy to title it Marianne so he called it Carrie Anne instead.

Apparently so Bernard. But in one of her books she revealed she had an affair with lead singer Allan Clarke instead of Graham. Maybe that helped his departure.

Date: April 24, 2010 18:49

Here's a little known song by The Hollies called Schoolgirl. Absolutely brilliant mid 60s pop.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 24, 2010 19:09

I was gonna post Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress because its a killer song and a favourite of mine - but stinkin' YT won't let me angry smiley

Jennifer Eccles - I heard this one a lot on the radio when I went to school in England and had a crush on this girl a class above me and.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 24, 2010 19:37

bernardanderson

He could called it Marry Anne instead

Date: April 25, 2010 00:57

NICOS
bernardanderson

He could called it Marry Anne instead

There was also a rumour once that Carrie Anne was about the model Kari Ann Muller, who was the girl on the 1st Roxy Music album cover - and here's a Stones connection - who later became Mrs Chris Jagger.

Date: April 25, 2010 01:04

So it looks that Roxy cover girls are popular by the Jaggers

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 25, 2010 02:28

saw them soupy sales rock and roll show nyc circa 65 their first trip over.
probably the first UK invasion band i ever saw live. The Hullaballoos were on the bill too, also from UK, and they were amazing and grand. the drummer blew me away...souped up hot rodded faster than a bullet buddy holly songs...whew..
hollies came out and hit Rockin' Robin real hard and loud and sweet...sweet harmonies above a LOUD raucous rock band??? oh yes. they proved it live first trip over...the records and hits are there for history but i remember this live show viscerally, prior to a lot of their Hit period... they were damn good live rock band ....

beelyboy...Think About it

Date: April 25, 2010 06:26

Thanks for all the posts. I think they have a live cd out. Have to check it out. Anyone know what their lead singer is doing these days, I'd sure like to see a reunion.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 25, 2010 07:02

Here ya go:

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: April 25, 2010 13:01

Alab Clarke was one of the earliest admires of Bruce Sprinsgteen with the Hollies covering "Sandy" around 75. He also recorded a version of "blinded by the light" but never released it, giving the OK to Manfred Mann. HE also recorded an early version of Born To Run" and "If I were A Priest"

Anyway The Hollies, Yes a great band, cracking harmonies, great pop songs, but maybe not enough original creativity to push past being a singles band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-25 13:02 by Nanker Phlegm.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 25, 2010 15:52

bassplayer617
Here ya go:

Thanks for the effort but it doesn't work here.

in direct translation the message says:
This video contains Content of WMG.
It is not availlable in your country.

they even used the english word "content" in german context. but its not a word in german language. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: April 25, 2010 17:31

Silver Dagger
Here's a little known song by The Hollies called Schoolgirl. Absolutely brilliant mid 60s pop.

There was a another song that I loved that did not get much fanfare called (Another Night)

Date: April 25, 2010 19:47

Actually I heard Another Night a alot when it was released. I have to get that cd Another Night. Have it on lp, a great lp, of course Sandy was a real tear jerker of a track nicely done guys.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-04-25 20:50 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: April 25, 2010 20:57

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home