Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Fight
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 18, 2015 18:40

flacnvinyl
If the song was mixed properly without all the lousy 80s production (man those tones are so ugly), it would be a decent song. Jagger's screaming vocals drag the song down.

Im with Doxa on this. Take any great Stones song and run it thru the 80s "death to anything natural" mix and it will still be a great song. Street fighting man, GS or Rambler. Maybe Rambler would turn into a macho version with heavy distortion but youd still have the basic song underneath it all (check out all the bad cover versions when bands ignore their right hand in favour for gain). There are JJF versions from the 80s that are truly horrible but that song is so dependent on it's riff and vocals. It's Micks alter ego.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 18, 2015 19:49

corriecas
Terrible weak song,lousy production. I skip it everytime i put on the cd.

Jeroen

I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but that made me laugh out loud!

Thank you!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 18, 2015 20:08

treaclefingers
corriecas

Jeroen

Thank you!

Thanks, treaclefingers.

It was meant to be funny.

Jeroen

Date: January 19, 2015 02:16

corriecas
treaclefingers
corriecas

Jeroen

Thank you!

Thanks, treaclefingers.

It was meant to be funny.

Jeroen

smileys with beer

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: January 19, 2015 05:15

Probably my favorite track on Dirty Work.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 19, 2015 05:36

One Hit (To The Body) ***1/2
Fight ***
Harlem Shuffle *****
Hold Back 1/2
Too Rude *****
Winning Ugly
Back To Zero
Dirty Work ***1/2
Had It With You ****
Sleep Tonight *****

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2015 09:22

Palace Revolution 2000
It's the result of what happens when a band no longer functions as a unit; as a band. When, during playbacks, each member is fcusing only on their own performance, and not on the overall song quality.
It's true; that is a very good guitar solo, but Keith was probably telling Ronnie "Check oiut this great solo" and that was enough for them. Jagger did what he did for his own reasons, and left it there. Lillywhite added 'his' drums because by then they were his.
So there are 3 factions checking off their individual contributions, but no one was looking out for the song.

This is a very good description of the problems of "Fight" particularly and of DIRTY WORK generally. The miracle of a sum is larger than its parts do not happen here - each contributor just adds their own thing, probably by some autopilot, and not keeping or being insterest enough of the whole thing. I think even better it suits to "One Hit", which I think in contrast to "Fight" is a good song. I hear there all components for a strong Stones track, but somehow that is never realized - like the magical 'glue', the x-factor that makes best Stones track so memorable and capturing is missing. I find the band oddily insecure and nervous with what to do in the album. They don't sound like they are bosses of their own doings; don't control their own 'fate'. Contary to later albums they are still up to something different and novel, but they - unfortunately - sound lost.

Some of that surely is to do with the sounds of the day they don't sound at all home with. But like I mentioned I think more it has to do with the substance, and the band cohesion seemingly suffers from the condition of band members (Charlie?) and their relationship (Mick and Keith) or interest (Mick).

If I take one of those, not much discussed - I wonder how much Charlie's troubles at the time affect to the state of the whole band. Charlie, however, is a certain glue, a backbone to the whole band 'feel', and I think his significance for that cannot be underestimated. Ronnie says he is something like that, but I don't think he is so important, both musically and personally, for Mick and Keith than Charlie is. Even though Charlie seemingly doesn't talk, he is the only member in the band I think Mick and Keith listens to, him being 'neutral' for egos both of them, escaping their courts. Or just being there, doing his thing, with no saying anything in the band which doesn't discuss, could be necessary for the band to 'click'. Of course, Charlie contributed to DIRTY WORK, but if some reports hold true, it wasn't like it was before due his shape, even when he actually was there (not mention the missed sessions).

When Jagger defended his decision to not tour DIRTY WORK due to the condition of some band members, I think there is some real concern there, and most likely he was referring to Charlie.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 09:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 19, 2015 14:18

A brother track of "Where the Boys Go" and "Summer Romance". A little bit amok on guitars that I like. It fits perfect to the rather aggressive conception of Dirty Work.

Date: January 19, 2015 14:24

RobertJohnson
A brother track of "Where the Boys Go" and "Summer Romance". A little bit amok on guitars that I like. It fits perfect to the rather aggressive conception of Dirty Work.

Not to forget Too Tough, from which some parts of Fight are lifted smiling smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 14:35

Green Lady
"A few times Keith and I felt like killing people, but we picked up our guitars and wrote songs instead. That's how we came up with Fight, I've Had It with You and One Hit (to the Body). We've all been spared long jail sentences by being able to play our music." (Ron Wood)

- and this one sounds like it! An angry track off an angry, angry album. I enjoy it - not as much as One Hit, but I do enjoy it.

All a bit pathetic though surely. What did they have to be angry about other than petty ego clashes? Yes the guitars sound good, but that doesn't redeem what is a pretty shoddy effort, not just this song, but the whole album - even by Stones standards. IMO of course.

If there is any song on DW that redeems it, it's Sleep Tonight. (again IMHO).

Date: January 19, 2015 16:58

tklawson
Probably my favorite track on Dirty Work.

high praise indeed

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 22, 2015 08:40

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 22, 2015 08:58

Donut jam ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 22, 2015 16:26

Roll73
Green Lady
"A few times Keith and I felt like killing people, but we picked up our guitars and wrote songs instead. That's how we came up with Fight, I've Had It with You and One Hit (to the Body). We've all been spared long jail sentences by being able to play our music." (Ron Wood)

- and this one sounds like it! An angry track off an angry, angry album. I enjoy it - not as much as One Hit, but I do enjoy it.

All a bit pathetic though surely. What did they have to be angry about other than petty ego clashes? Yes the guitars sound good, but that doesn't redeem what is a pretty shoddy effort, not just this song, but the whole album - even by Stones standards. IMO of course.

If there is any song on DW that redeems it, it's Sleep Tonight. (again IMHO).

Agreed..well said...although im not convinced with ST...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: January 23, 2015 05:12

Doxa
If I take one of those, not much discussed - I wonder how much Charlie's troubles at the time affect to the state of the whole band. Charlie, however, is a certain glue, a backbone to the whole band 'feel', and I think his significance for that cannot be underestimated. Ronnie says he is something like that, but I don't think he is so important, both musically and personally, for Mick and Keith than Charlie is. Even though Charlie seemingly doesn't talk, he is the only member in the band I think Mick and Keith listens to, him being 'neutral' for egos both of them, escaping their courts. Or just being there, doing his thing, with no saying anything in the band which doesn't discuss, could be necessary for the band to 'click'.

Doxa, I found your quote not only very true, but very moving. People don't realize how vital Charlie is to the Stones. Simply put, without Charlie, there is no Stones. He is every bit as integral to the sound of the band, to the ineffable magic of the Rolling Stones, as Mick and Keith are. And yet he has always been the soul of modesty and grace. Even though I don't know Charlie personally, I love the man like a brother, and I'm sure many others on this board share that sentiment.

Drew

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: January 23, 2015 16:46

A good example of how Mick's vocals on that album are him basically screaming, in a desperate attempt to seem young and energetic. Other than "Graceland," mid 80's were rotten time for the classic rock artists, who did not yet get they would be able to tour big forever, so could have relaxed. I met Elton John in 86 and he thought his career was over.

Date: January 23, 2015 17:40

Doxa
Palace Revolution 2000
It's the result of what happens when a band no longer functions as a unit; as a band.

When Jagger defended his decision to not tour DIRTY WORK due to the condition of some band members, I think there is some real concern there, and most likely he was referring to Charlie.

Mick was being incredibly diplomatic stating that and not stating the other obvious: that DIRTY WORK was and is a piece of shit album. He didn't need to say it.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 23, 2015 19:18

dirtywork is a terrible album, apart from sleep tonight, harlem shuffle and one hit to the body and even those are average. the rest of the album is a noisy rabble which is overproduced and jaggers screaming vocals ruin the whole thing.

the stones can and have produced aggressive material but it is ussually a bit more classier than dirtywork. its not an album i ever let people listen to when promoting the band.

Date: January 23, 2015 20:13

Keep in mind that "average" for the Stones is very good smiling smiley

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: January 23, 2015 20:29

I loved this song when they released DW.Maybe vocals are a bit forced but it's angry rocknroll and that's allright.Good , meaty sounding guitars.Mesa Boogie probably.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 23, 2015 22:23

Damn that it was a false rumor FIGHT would be covered on Barbra Streisand's new Partners album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 24, 2015 03:07

Weak song (but not the weakest) on a weak album. Absolutely dispensable.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 24, 2015 03:24

Agree with whitem8, the guitars aren't that bad but I can't get past the drums and vocals. Definitely one of the worst Stones drum sounds I've ever heard. Irritating is the best description of the overall effect.

peace

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: January 24, 2015 04:23

I hadn't listened to it in around 30 years, and it sounded fairly decent just now. I'm not crazy about the lyrics or the singing. It's not bad like Hold Back or Winning Ugly.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 24, 2015 07:31

The problem (ok, ONE problem) of that whole album is that the band were selling a product they didn't believe in themselves.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 24, 2015 17:02

The song sucks always has and always will

Date: January 24, 2015 17:24

slew

sounds as though you'd like to get into a fight.

Date: January 24, 2015 17:29

treaclefingers
slew

sounds as though you'd like to get into a fight.

Woe woe now!

Date: January 25, 2015 01:09

Fight rocks. What's wrong with that?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 25, 2015 01:58

DandelionPowderman
Fight rocks. What's wrong with that?

The vocals. They can obviously make or break a song and Fight is a perfect example of break, imo. Don't know if it's the angry style Mick tries to convey, that he is trying too hard to convey it or that he is just not very believable as a fighter. peace

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home